X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

I think Orton is top 15

For those complaining about Orton I'm not sure I understand it.

I think he is actually a good QB. Great or elite no, but I think he is in the Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Andy Dalton, Flacco range.

He can make any throw, has good accuracy and doesn't panic in the clutch. Plus he doesn't hesitate to throw to any level of the field.

Orton was good yesterday minus the over-aggressiveness in the red zone late in the game.

This is a guy who can really get good with this group of players. Let's not forget he started late with these guys and even then he was getting very few snaps.

Add 2 good guards and a TE and he would have close to 30-35 TDs and 4000 yards easy.
  • Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: I think Orton is top 15

He missed an easy TD to Chandler. He missed Woods for a TD. The line actually kept people off him yesterday for the most part and he played his worst game. Yesterday was right inline with his career stats. 60% completion 81 rating. He's the best we have but he's not a long term answer.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
      Peterman Sucks!
      • Mar 2006

I think he's a middle of the pack QB who would be easily replaceable.

Which is still a step up from bottom of the barrel that this team has fielded since Bledsoe.

Comment

• EDS
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
        For those complaining about Orton I'm not sure I understand it.

I think he is actually a good QB. Great or elite no, but I think he is in the Cam Newton, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Andy Dalton, Flacco range.

He can make any throw, has good accuracy and doesn't panic in the clutch. Plus he doesn't hesitate to throw to any level of the field.

Orton was good yesterday minus the over-aggressiveness in the red zone late in the game.

This is a guy who can really get good with this group of players. Let's not forget he started late with these guys and even then he was getting very few snaps.

Add 2 good guards and a TE and he would have close to 30-35 TDs and 4000 yards easy.
        Orton has played reasonably well for the Bills but to put him in the same category as guys like Ryan and Flacco is just wrong. If Orton was that good he would have been starting somewhere for the past 4+ years earning $10+ million a year. Instead, he is a journeyman. He is pulling a Fitz on a lot of people and we should expect some bad games before the season is over. Once the season ends, it is likely the Bills will still be looking for a long-term solution at QB. Orton would make a great back-up.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

If he can make any throw, he should have made one at the end of the game to win it.

If the Bills don't beat the Fins on Thursday, I am ready to go back to EJ for the rest of the year.

If Orton wants to stay next year under his current contract, I am fine with that.

I do not want the Bills to sign him to along term contract however unless it is on the cheap.

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

I think Orton is top 15
            In what?

We have the worst red zone football team in the league and it's regressed to that since he's been the QB. He's thrown for 58 more yards per game than Manuel but in three of his games he couldn't lead the team to more points than Manuel had in all but one of his games.

The goal is to score, not just put up yards and have a good completion percentage and not throw INTs. Without scoring isn't the worth of a QB pretty low?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Novacane View Post
            He missed an easy TD to Chandler. He missed Woods for a TD. The line actually kept people off him yesterday for the most part and he played his worst game. Yesterday was right inline with his career stats. 60% completion 81 rating. He's the best we have but he's not a long term answer.
            He underthrew Watkins too in the right corner.
            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
            Originally Posted by pmoon6
            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• djjimkelly
              • Apr 2003

ill explain my frustration.

we'll start with your list of on par qb's,

cam is an athlete who absolutly has no touch on the ball 75% of the time i actually think orton may be better but id rather watch cam

andy dalton = orton i almost wrote fitz lol

eli manning = 2 rings not a comparison but a very bad o line and very young wrs. we havent heard the last of eli

matt ryan is twice the qb orton could ever dream to be. his issues are he is the 2014 version bledsoe but better with a real bad O line

and flacco im sorry watch the ravens hes a stud! we would be 8-1 or 7-2 if he was the bills qb

as to orton being clutch im sorry we got very lucky on a 20 yard acrobatic catch by hogan against the vikings basically 1 good drive that game

vs detroit 1 good drive a great catch by sammy the ball was way behind sammy but he made a great catch then carpenter was CLUTCH hitting a 58 yarder

vs jets clutch lol we should have won 70-0 with the turnovers from jets but our ORTON LED offense with dream field position was still in a tight one at half

those are our 3 orton wins i think we have won in spite of orton.

and our bar here is so bad for qb that we are impressed that he isnt bouncing the ball on 10 yard outs.

hes not terrible but he isnt a difference maker in fact when its on him and just on him hes just not good and 4 shots from the 15 2 near picks another 2 so off and hogan was wide open over the middle clutch would make one of 4

that link is redzone qb rating and its doesnt include yesterdays game yet. orton's numbers arent good

we have a good team that has won in spite of whoever is at qb.

my thought is simple orton now has 5 games under his belt and truly his effect on the overall game is = to EJ call me crazy but ill go with youth who may learn (who also may not) and like ive stated before i disliked the EJ pick immensely but we need to know sooner then later about him

i just want a top 15 qb for real no stat that is known to man has orton as an overall top 15 qb

Comment

• Mahdi
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                In what?

We have the worst red zone football team in the league and it's regressed to that since he's been the QB. He's thrown for 58 more yards per game than Manuel but in three of his games he couldn't lead the team to more points than Manuel had in all but one of his games.

The goal is to score, not just put up yards and have a good completion percentage and not throw INTs. Without scoring isn't the worth of a QB pretty low?

- - - Updated - - -

He underthrew Watkins too in the right corner.
                You have to be able to run the ball in the redzone and we haven't done that all season. Makes it pretty easy to sit back and defend the pass. If we had mixed in some runs in that last drive where we went 4 and out Orton probably could have gotten us in the endzone.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I think not having a healthy Sammy really screwed up the timing between the two, and it was obvious on the last red zone trip. That's the poorest I've seen Orton throw the ball in his five games. Of course, that still doesn't account for the poor throws to Hogan.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                    The Voice of Reason
                    • Jul 2007

He's the best we've had in a long time, and I'm glad that some people realize that. Others, of course, can't be happy with that and want the Andrew Luck. Of course, I do as well, but even when we got him I feel like some people would be going "Well, he's Luck, but he's no Peyton..."
                    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

i rescind my comments on cam i would definitely want orton over cam just horrific

Comment

• Herd bull
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                        He's the best we've had in a long time, and I'm glad that some people realize that. Others, of course, can't be happy with that and want the Andrew Luck. Of course, I do as well, but even when we got him I feel like some people would be going "Well, he's Luck, but he's no Peyton..."
                        Good post,you hit the nail right on the head.

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Orton is not the issue, whatsoever on this team. Not having a healthy Jackson and Spiller is starting to show its ugly head. Yeah, the other RBs looked ok (finally), but it changes our offense completely. Every defense has to account for Spiller presnap. I doubt Boobie or Bryce put fear into any defense.

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

You have to be able to run the ball in the redzone and we haven't done that all season. Makes it pretty easy to sit back and defend the pass. If we had mixed in some runs in that last drive where we went 4 and out Orton probably could have gotten us in the endzone.
                            I agree the play calling was again atrocious.

Part of the blame for this loss falls on the shoulders of Hackett.

IMO, the only way Marrone should be allowed to keep his job next year is if he fires Hackett & hires a GOOD OC.

Comment

Working...
                            X