• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

If Marrone Fails, Our Next HC Is Already Here

Jim Schwartz is still just 48 years old and the D has never looked better.

D players will always play for coaches who make them look good and this way, a rebuild is avoided. Just find a good OC to get that unit going with Orton being a trusted play caller on his own.

I look at the Houston, Detroit,Minny & KC games and the horrid playcalling (IMO). We were lucky in 2 of those games but too many key moments where we embraced failure on the O side of the ball.

Don't start over. Keep this D in place and we'll be right there in games.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit
  • Luisito23
    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
    • Apr 2003

Re: If Marrone Fails, Our Next HC Is Already Here

It's not if, to me Marrone has already failed...and I love Schwartz as the DC but not HC, but really, he would be much better than what's already here.
    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

Well, I have said before, the only way Marrone should be allowed to keep his job is to fire Hackett.

Marrone Coached the Bills to 6 wins last year. A MEDIOCRE Coaching job.

Marrone took over a TERRIBLE Syracuse team, but he did not lead them to a National Championship.

The Orange were a MEDIOCRE team under Marrone as the Bills are.

If the Bills fail to win at least 9 games this year, I think Marrone should be fired.

Comment

• Goobylal
        • Jan 2004

If he/Whaley hires a competent OC, I'd be fine with Schwartz.

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

I agree with the thinking of " I like Schwartz as a DC but not a HC " but it can still work if the right OC is identified.

Perfect example is Marchibroda working for Marv...and don't try to tell me Marv was a HC not leaning heavily on his coordinators. We wouldn't have been heard of in the 1990's if Marchibroda wasn't on staff.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post
            Well, I have said before, the only way Marrone should be allowed to keep his job is to fire Hackett.

Marrone Coached the Bills to 6 wins last year. A MEDIOCRE Coaching job.

Marrone took over a TERRIBLE Syracuse team, but he did not lead them to a National Championship.

The Orange were a MEDIOCRE team under Marrone as the Bills are.

If the Bills fail to win at least 9 games this year, I think Marrone should be fired.
            For the record, this is the complete opposite of what you argued when Marrone was hired.
            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
            Originally Posted by pmoon6
            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
              For the record, this is the complete opposite of what you argued when Marrone was hired.
              NO it is not.

I was willing to give MArrone a chance to prove himself, but I was never a fan of his hire.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

As much as I would like to move on from Marrone, if he ends up at 7-9 or better this year, he will be back next year.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

if they fire marrone, they should let someone come in and clean up the whole thing or we'll just be back on this 3 year cycle.

going to schwartz may not be a great answer. the strongest part of the d is either the oldest or the part that will be hard to keep together based on the overall expenses. Is schwartz good enough to keep it going with a lot of player turnover?

in someways, this mediocre year was kind of going to be the last. and that's why we all wantd to push into the playoffs so badly. if it didn't happen this year and EJ didn't step up, the team's rebuild stalled. the d peaked and the offense is too far behind to be good enough to help the d.

what is even more upsetting is that even if the bills did make the playoffs, they were never even trying to be a legit contender. their stated goal was simply to make the playoffs. and if they do make the playoffs, orton will be a full fledged starting qb with a huge price tag for mediocrity. and dareus, hughes are big paychecks waiting to happen.

the bills went back to putting emphasis on glamour positoins like WR and RB, but left the line understaffed on a coaching standpoint. so no matter how many good WR we have or talented backs we have, our team struggles because the OL isn't coached well. and they knew this last year, but marrone was unwilling to part from his OC buddy.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                    Escaped Convict
                    • Jul 2002

For the first time in Bills history, we have an owner who isn't shy about spending the big bucks.

I say we shoot for the moon. There are dozens of possibilities out there.

It's hard to believe that, with a huge budget, the best possible option is Jim Schwartz.

He has done a great job with the Defense this year, but I think we can do better in the HC department.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                      Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                      • Feb 2006

Marrone sucks, Hackett sucks. They lucked into getting two good DC's. Keep Whaley, keep Schwartz, fire everyone else.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                        Nathaniel Hackett is still just 34 years old and the O has never looked better.
                        are you on drugs?
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

if marrone loses to pettine, for me, that will be the final straw. i actually want to like marrone. he comes off as an interest head coach on WGR in the morning, etc. like orton, he seems likeable.

i know marrone is probably a .500 coach at best in the long run and i know orton is a 60% passer in the long run. doesn't mean i wouldn't love to see them have their outlier season happen right now.

but if marrone loses to pettine a guy a lot of us actually wanted to get the coaching position if he was being offered a HC elsewhere, then he can't even beat his own coordinators. And that's pretty unforgivable.

at that point, given the weakness of the offense (namely still no long term QB), and a great defense that peaked but will be too expensive to keep or too old when the offense catches up, it's worth starting over. and if we are starting over, let's get some winning names in here to clean up the organization top to bottom, and give the team a real coach.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                            Maybe?
                            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                            are you on drugs?

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                              Maybe?
                              • Oct 2003

No more retreads that couldn't cut it on other teams. Been there, done that. Fire Maroon, back up the money truck and buy one that can actually make the team better.

Comment

Working...
                              X