X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Dissecting Sammy Watkins' quiet afternoon

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- It hasn't taken long for Sammy Watkins to become a vital cog in the Buffalo Bills' offense.

Consider this: When Watkins has more than 30 receiving yards, the Bills are 5-0. When he has 30 or fewer, the Bills are 0-4.

Watkins was targeted 10 times in Sunday's 17-13 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, catching just four passes for 27 yards.

So what happened? Here's a breakdown of each of Watkins' 10 targets:

A look at Sammy Watkins' quiet afternoon for the Buffalo Bills in a loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

----------

Here's "one of those articles."

What isn't mentioned is that maybe Watkins' lesser games are because the competition in the opposing secondary is tougher than in the other games on average.

Also, we're 4-1 when we're positive in the turnover battle and 1-3 when we're negative or even, which has equally much to do with our wins.

Of the 5 wins mentioned above, only one of those teams, Detroit, is likely headed to the playoffs. The rest will be lucky to finish .500. Of the 4 mentioned losses, three of those teams are likely headed to the playoffs.

Too many people trying to make Watkins out to be more than he is.

We'll see how Watkins does the rest of the season, but if he continues to not do much against playoff teams and better secondaries then I don't see how people can continue to talk about him as if he was hands-down the best WR in this draft class.

He's good, but I think that the decision to trade away next year's 1st is going to be painful come draft time next year.

This isn't a knock on Watkins at all, rather a knock on Whaley.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

Re: Dissecting Sammy Watkins' quiet afternoon

He's hurt.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

So are lots of other players. Megatron is hurt and has been hurt and he had 7 catches for 113 yards and a TD against Miami on Sunday.

That's "special."

Being hurt is an excuse. Watkins needs to start playing bigger and better against some of the better DBs more regularly and against the playoff caliber teams too if he wants, or rather if his fans want him to accede to that level of recognition.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• kingJofNYC
        • Sep 2009

Megatron hadn't played in weeks.

How'd your boy Benjamin do last night?

Comment

• Edward Robinson
          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
          So are lots of other players. Megatron is hurt and has been hurt and he had 7 catches for 113 yards and a TD against Miami on Sunday.

That's "special."

Being hurt is an excuse. Watkins needs to start playing bigger and better against some of the better DBs more regularly and against the playoff caliber teams too if he wants, or rather if his fans want him to accede to that level of recognition.

So says the person who has never taken a college or NFL football snap in his life.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
            • Sep 2009

Sammie Watkins won us the Lions game with broken ribs, just an average joe who can't play through pain....

Comment

• feldspar
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
              He's hurt.
              Yeah, he's hurt and he didn't really practice this week, which is bigger for a rookie.

Freddie was hurt too. Guess we should pile on him as well.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                Yeah, he's hurt and he didn't really practice this week, which is bigger for a rookie.

Freddie was hurt too. Guess we should pile on him as well.
                Fred's a gutless loser who can't fight through pain!

/Fletch

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                  Megatron hadn't played in weeks.

How'd your boy Benjamin do last night?
                  Exactly.

Don't know, go look and let me know. On the season though he's got more receiving yards, a greater yards per catch, and more TDs. I think that if OROY voting were to be held now he'd win it over Watkins.

Sammie Watkins won us the Lions game with broken ribs, just an average joe who can't play through pain....
                  Right, one of two games that we won due to Sammy. That and Minnesota.

Here's a question for you, why did we need a huge night from Sammy to beat Minnesota? At home?

Still, you're right, but those are the only two games. The Jets win was a rout from top to bottom as was the Fins game. Lots of players contributed as did the D in both games.

He did little in our Chicago win.

So two games like that is enough to annoint him as being special and the best WR in the draft?

Post #46

------

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                    • Sep 2009

Benjamin can't hold Watkins jock, he embarrassed himself last night. He has 50 more yards and a couple of more touchdowns, but yet he's the GOAT in your mind. Injury free too.

Whatever, if Watkins nukes Miami, we won't see you for another two weeks or longer. Watkins wrecks the Dolphins, that somehow doesn't count...lol Hilarious.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                      • Jul 2002

You're trying to hard with your obsession with Sammy's value.
                      Why don't you just wait and see how things play out over the next year or so?
                      I think you're already pretty clearly wrong, but whatever the truth is, it won't be established by dissecting every game.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                        • Sep 2009

Here's the bottom line. We don't know what Watkins will develop into, but he's clearly our best offensive weapon.

Now Fletch is upset that Whaley spent 2015 first round pick on Watkins, fine, at some point he'll just get over it. I mean they spent 1st round picks on countless busts the last decade, some folks act like first rounders are sure fire hits. When it's the Bills doing the drafting you never know what you're going to get in the first round, or any team for that matter, but the Bills have a bad history in the 1st round. More ammo the better, I understand that, but with the Bills rep, I'd rather take a surer thing. Bills draft history is a different topic entirely.

I'm more angry that we spent a first on EJ, but I'm over at this point. At least with Watkins I know he's a quality player. Draft was deep at WR, but the first 3 were clearly above the rest in my mind.
                        Last edited by kingJofNYC; 11-11-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

Exactly.

Don't know, go look and let me know. On the season though he's got more receiving yards, a greater yards per catch, and more TDs. I think that if OROY voting were to be held now he'd win it over Watkins.

Right, one of two games that we won due to Sammy. That and Minnesota.

Here's a question for you, why did we need a huge night from Sammy to beat Minnesota? At home?

Still, you're right, but those are the only two games. The Jets win was a rout from top to bottom as was the Fins game. Lots of players contributed as did the D in both games.

He did little in our Chicago win.

So two games like that is enough to annoint him as being special and the best WR in the draft?

You are a complete tool. Half of the rookie of the year award is based on popularity and the talking heads. they are in love with watkins. no one says boo about benjamin. If it ended today, watkins would finish ahead of benjamin.

the rest of this tread remains garbage. your obsession to be right every 3 weeks is growing old.

and we did what you do before the game. said that KC has a great pass d by the stat line so we can dismiss watkins performance. We literally said this BEFORE the game. And then add a late week groin injury.

When are you going to stop posting here?

Comment

• trapezeus
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- It hasn't taken long for Sammy Watkins to become a vital cog in the Buffalo Bills' offense.

Consider this: When Watkins has more than 30 receiving yards, the Bills are 5-0. When he has 30 or fewer, the Bills are 0-4.

Watkins was targeted 10 times in Sunday's 17-13 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, catching just four passes for 27 yards.

So what happened? Here's a breakdown of each of Watkins' 10 targets:

A look at Sammy Watkins' quiet afternoon for the Buffalo Bills in a loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

----------

Here's "one of those articles."

What isn't mentioned is that maybe Watkins' lesser games are because the competition in the opposing secondary is tougher than in the other games on average.

Also, we're 4-1 when we're positive in the turnover battle and 1-3 when we're negative or even, which has equally much to do with our wins.

Of the 5 wins mentioned above, only one of those teams, Detroit, is likely headed to the playoffs. The rest will be lucky to finish .500. Of the 4 mentioned losses, three of those teams are likely headed to the playoffs.

Too many people trying to make Watkins out to be more than he is.

We'll see how Watkins does the rest of the season, but if he continues to not do much against playoff teams and better secondaries then I don't see how people can continue to talk about him as if he was hands-down the best WR in this draft class.

He's good, but I think that the decision to trade away next year's 1st is going to be painful come draft time next year.

This isn't a knock on Watkins at all, rather a knock on Whaley.
                            do you read what you link to? and did you watch the game. he caught what was catchable. he had no drops. he broke up 2 possible interceptions.

On the actual stuff you know about, are you any good? Because you suck on this topic of WR stats and who you would rather have reached for with the 9 pick.

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Whatever, if Watkins nukes Miami, we won't see you for another two weeks or longer. Watkins wrecks the Dolphins, that somehow doesn't count...lol Hilarious.
                              Does everything have to turn into something personal here?

I'll come and post as threads offer good content. Several have diminished into nothing but little (or big) tiffs between varying posters.

Was there something in my posts that offended you personally? If so, please point it out and I'll do my best to refrain from such language in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the bottom line. We don't know what Watkins will develop into, but he's clearly our best offensive weapon.

Now Fletch is upset that Whaley spent 2015 first round pick on Watkins, fine, at some point he'll just get over it. I mean they spent 1st round picks on countless busts the last decade, some folks act like first rounders are sure fire hits. When it's the Bills doing the drafting you never know what you're going to get in the first round, or any team for that matter, but the Bills have a bad history in the 1st round. More ammo the better, I understand that, but with the Bills rep, I'd rather take a surer thing. Bills draft history is a different topic entirely.

I'm more angry that we spent a first on EJ, but I'm over at this point. At least with Watkins I know he's a quality player. Draft was deep at WR, but the first 3 were clearly above the rest in my mind.
                              I'll get over it when Whaley disappears. That's when I'll get over it. That's the root of our problems in this team.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X