• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

Buffalo Media

What is the Buffalo media's responsibility to continually put pressure on the organization to field a better team? I don't think the New York City media would handle 15 years of the Jets and Giants being as bad as we've been. The Jets made it to two consecutive AFC title games a few years ago, the Giants have been mostly great for a long time. They rarely go a couple of years without winning seasons.

The Buffalo media needs to start upping the pressure, asking tougher questions, make the entire team and ownership uncomfortable in every press conference.

Would it make any difference? Thoughts?
    My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

• Ginger Vitis
    • Feb 2009

Re: Buffalo Media

I always thought Jerry Sullivan did what you wanted maybe Jerry needs to ratchet up the pressure even more

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

It's an interesting question, Bondzai, one that I have wrestled with for some time.

We know for a fact that the official Bills spokespeople are essentially like political spin masters, parlaying the company line...and it has been going on since the Bills hired Scott Berchtold from the Packers back in the eighties.

That's a given.

The problem has a couple answers. For one, it's a one paper town now, so the competition for the written word simply isn't there.

Not to mention most of us get most Bills news online anyways. (or via text whatever)

Then there's the access issue.

If a journalist wants access to a player, or the like, I think they tend to ease off on them, and the team.

Certainly the Bills (Ralph Wilson's Bills...not sure about the Pegulas yet) cannot tell the News who to employ, but they can sure choose who they warm up to, and who they choose to give the cold shoulder to.

Much like a politician.

It's a real interesting question, and one that needs looked at from many angles, like small market vs big, etc.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
        The Buffalo media needs to start upping the pressure, asking tougher questions, make the entire team and ownership uncomfortable in every press conference.

The NFL is a QB league and the Bills don't have one. Do questions/pressure get us one? If so how?

Comment

• imbondz
          Democrats are people too
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
          The NFL is a QB league and the Bills don't have one. Do questions/pressure get us one? If so how?
          There has to be accountability. We had none in Ralph Wilsons last years. Large market teams media put pressure on their organizations.

Just seems that the media has some responsibility to be the voice for the fans. If they're just sucking up to get an interview, or be seen/heard, what good are they? They need to ask players, coaches, managers, owners, when is this crap going to end. It needs to be constant. There should be constant pressure put on this organization until a winning team is fielded. 15 years is not the norm for pro teams to not have a winning season.
          My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
            • May 2009

I wish after Thursday nights game the front page of the Buffalo news had a title in capital letters like this..... LOSERS. With a random picture from during the game.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Sully is the only guy in the media with the balls to actually speak the truth. He gets panned by other media members and often ridiculed, just listen when he's on air with Schopp and the Bulldog. Meanwhile fans hate him because they want to believe the Bills are a great team but the NFL is rigged and out to get them.

Comment

• sudzy
                • Apr 2013

I think the portion of the Bills don't control (Chris Brown, WGR) for the most part is hard on the Bills. I think there is a large portion of Bills fans that are alright with letting the Bills skate as long as they stay in Buffalo. If you dare question this team your labeled as "doom and gloom". Like the last 15 years has been all roses. I was beat up last off seasons for saying the Bills need to be looking QB. Half the people on this board seem to be more then willing to drink what ever Kool-aid the Bills are serving right now. Hell, I believe Whaley could still sell EJ as the "QB of the future" to a lot of Bills fans.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                  • Aug 2013

I don't know what Buffalo Media you are talking about but every single person on WGR has been losing their lunch over this game and it has been great.

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by imbondz View Post
                    What is the Buffalo media's responsibility to continually put pressure on the organization to field a better team? I don't think the New York City media would handle 15 years of the Jets and Giants being as bad as we've been. The Jets made it to two consecutive AFC title games a few years ago, the Giants have been mostly great for a long time. They rarely go a couple of years without winning seasons.

The forums are part of that media in a big sense.

Yet so many here support the obviously flawed parts of the organization and team. When we as a group constantly support mediocrity and accept flawed decision making then don't you think we kind of get what we, as a whole that is, deserve? I do.

Go back and revisit the posts here from preseason and early in the season in September and see the support for things now no longer being supported, even amongst the most ardent "optimists" who I won't mention by name in the interests of attempting to keep whatever peace there is here in place.
                    Last edited by Fletch; 11-15-2014, 08:47 AM.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                      If you dare question this team your labeled as "doom and gloom". Like the last 15 years has been all roses. I was beat up last off seasons for saying the Bills need to be looking QB. Half the people on this board seem to be more then willing to drink what ever Kool-aid the Bills are serving right now. Hell, I believe Whaley could still sell EJ as the "QB of the future" to a lot of Bills fans.
                      Right on the money.
                      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                      Originally Posted by pmoon6
                      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                        I think the portion of the Bills don't control (Chris Brown, WGR) for the most part is hard on the Bills. I think there is a large portion of Bills fans that are alright with letting the Bills skate as long as they stay in Buffalo. If you dare question this team your labeled as "doom and gloom". Like the last 15 years has been all roses. I was beat up last off seasons for saying the Bills need to be looking QB. Half the people on this board seem to be more then willing to drink what ever Kool-aid the Bills are serving right now. Hell, I believe Whaley could still sell EJ as the "QB of the future" to a lot of Bills fans.
                        The Bills staying in Buffalo was the number one issue for all Bills fans that are from Buffalo.

It would not matter if the Bills are good or bad if they are not in Buffalo.

Now that we know the Bills are Staying in Buffalo, we can talk about what is needed to make them better, just as we can talk about what it will take to make the Sabres better.

There was a time it looked like the Sabres would leave Buffalo as well.

Now Buffalo is a hockey mecca.

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

I don't know, the media has been rough on the Bills for years for what I see, putting aside Sully's opinion pieces, he has stated before he thinks himself a sports critic not a journalist.

There's probably a more knowledgable honest media base here than I remember my whole life. They are never kind to the team. I don't know what more pressure they can apply razoring them weekly, or what pressure they should. They are media, and supposed to report stuff not tell people what to think. You can't ever let media tell you what to think or drive change or you're eating populist whatever, imho.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

I couldn't care less about the local media's opinions, just stfu and report the news.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• sudzy
                              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              The Bills staying in Buffalo was the number one issue for all Bills fans that are from Buffalo.

It would not matter if the Bills are good or bad if they are not in Buffalo.

Now that we know the Bills are Staying in Buffalo, we can talk about what is needed to make them better, just as we can talk about what it will take to make the Sabres better.

There was a time it looked like the Sabres would leave Buffalo as well.

Now Buffalo is a hockey mecca.
                              I feel much better now. By the way, how is the "hockey mecca" doing? 4-13-2. Three points into last place. Yep, feeling much better now.

Comment

Working...
                              X