X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

This Offensive Line needs a Shuffle

Right now, at all 5 positions we have a player either playing poorly or out of position.

Cordy Glenn is just not playing well right now. He missed most of TC and it has had a big effect on him. Not the same pass blocker or run blocker.

Urbik is not a LG. He needs to go back to RG.

Pears is not a G, period. At this point he is not even starting quality in the NFL at any position.

Wood is stuck between two weak links and his play is being affected.

Henderson had a fast start and now he is looking like every bit the rookie he is. He is slow on the outside and is also not a good run blocker at this time.

-------------------------

I don't know if there is a solution but the Bills need to re-shuffle this thing somehow.

Give Kouandjio a shot and we should be looking into Incognito to play LG and move Urbik to RG. Incognito is a solid run blocker and if this team doesn't run the ball they'll continue to lose.
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Re: This Offensive Line needs a Shuffle

I'm not sure Incognito is the answer

No other team wants him. What makes him an upgrade, as horrible as Pears and Urbik have been?
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Dr. Lecter View Post
      I'm not sure Incognito is the answer

No other team wants him. What makes him an upgrade, as horrible as Pears and Urbik have been?
      He's an upgrade because he is a natural LG and a natural run blocker which Urbik and Pears are not.

Other teams don't want him because of the issue that happened last year. Denver brought him in for a look but they are good at G so for them it wasn't worth it. We don't have the luxury to be picky.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Ian Beckles, former OL for the Bucs has said he played for a number of OL Coaches in his career.

He said many times a new Coach will want the players to use different techniques & blocking schemes than the last Coach did.

That looks like the case here.

I don't think Glenn & Wood all the sudden become MEDIOCRE.

I think Marrone & his OL Coach want them using a different system than they used in the past.

It should be obvious to all which is the better...at least for these players.

Comment

• DraftBoy
          Administrator
          • Jul 2002

I thought Henderson had a good game last night in pass pro v. Wake.
          COMING SOON...
          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Bill Cody
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post

Other teams don't want him because of the issue that happened last year.
            um yeah. He's an average player so the baggage outweighs any marginal benefit.

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
              I agree. Orton, Mr. Sack, was sacked only twice on 39 attempts, that his best sack ratio of the season by a mile. Orton had much better protection than Tannehill did.
              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
              Originally Posted by pmoon6
              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Historian
                2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                • Dec 2002

Doesn't matter how many times you shuffle, if your cards are threes, fours, and twos...you still lose the hand.

Comment

• Mahdi
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                  I agree. Orton, Mr. Sack, was sacked only twice on 39 attempts, that his best sack ratio of the season by a mile. Orton had much better protection than Tannehill did.
                  The missing stat there is how many times he just threw the ball away or into the dirt... There was like 7 of those. So really, even though there was no sack on the play the result was the same.

The OL was terrible yesterday and is the main reason we have lost several games.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

not a OL expert, but how can we not have a single servicable area on the Line? they've already rotated through a little. doesn't that just point the figure to coaches? i think they could rotate the whole line again. but these coaches wouldn't put them in a position to succeed.

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post
                      Right now, at all 5 positions we have a player either playing poorly or out of position.

Cordy Glenn is just not playing well right now. He missed most of TC and it has had a big effect on him. Not the same pass blocker or run blocker.

Urbik is not a LG. He needs to go back to RG.

Pears is not a G, period. At this point he is not even starting quality in the NFL at any position.

Wood is stuck between two weak links and his play is being affected.

Henderson had a fast start and now he is looking like every bit the rookie he is. He is slow on the outside and is also not a good run blocker at this time.

-------------------------

I don't know if there is a solution but the Bills need to re-shuffle this thing somehow.

Give Kouandjio a shot and we should be looking into Incognito to play LG and move Urbik to RG. Incognito is a solid run blocker and if this team doesn't run the ball they'll continue to lose.
                      St Doug disagrees with you.

Comment

• X-Era
                        What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                        Henderson has far exceeded my expectations. Great add.

Comment

• jimmifli
                          • Nov 2006

Cordy's never been much of a pass blocker, he was just good enough that under a quick hit scheme he was protected. And he was a mauler in the run game.

His pass blocking actually looks a little better, even if the stats don't quite show that. But where did his run blocking go? We miss that badly. It was nice to see him downfield on a few of those RB passes (tough to really call them screens), he seems to do well on that part of the game.

Also, I'd like to add that Chandler has fulfilled the role of the "pulling guard" a couple times over the last two games and those plays were successful runs. That's about the only positive things I can say about this team.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

Get a new oline coach, and 50-75% of the problem will be solved.

I should qualify that with a 'good' new oline coach, not just a warm body from Marrone's buddy network.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Scumbag College
                              • Oct 2002

The OL was in shambles last year and Whaley, to his (somewhat) credit brought in four new guys. (Williams, Koundijo, Richardson, and Henderson.) Williams is on IR, Koundijo hasn't seen the field, Richardson obviously wasn't ready to play and is a project. Henderson has been the bright spot, the 7th round pick.
                              Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

Working...
                              X