X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    • Jan 2009

The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Believe it or not, there are many many good and even great things about this team. For once, I actually have a somewhat positive narrative -given the circumstances- and one that effectively reflects this 5-5 start. So without further ado, lets begin.

The Good

- New Ownership:
    I almost think this deserves a category 'the Great', but I'll make it simple. Not only does the new ownership keep the Bills in Buffalo -for the record I never saw them leaving- but it also inspires a sense of possibility. For the first time in Bills History, we have a chance that the ownership will be more concerned with Winning a SB than making money which means... expect better FO, Coaches, and resigning of top players. This, when done right, can help turn this franchise around (24. Buffalo Bills, 327- 357- 8 (Winning Percentage of .478).

- D-Line & Jim Schwartz: In case you have been living under a rock, you have probably noticed that Ferocious D-Line, and yes is is Ferocious. The Bills lead the league in sacks, 2 of the top 5 sack leaders wear a Bills jersey and the next bill is at 11. To put this in perspective, if you are the opposing offense who would you block? Or put in another way, who do you prefer sack you?

- Sammy & WR: Even though the jury is still out -heck Lee Evens looked good for a number of years- Sammy is showing great signs of being a top WR in the NFL. Regardless of how good he is, or how open he is, a QB still needs to get him the ball, so his potential will always be tied to the signal caller. The WR also look good, and as the young WR develop Mike Williams looks more and more like a wast of a roster spot.

The Bad

- The Offense: The offense looked promising when Orton stepped in and in true back-up fashion Orton shoed exactly why he is an NFL caliber backup. Boys, if you want to know what a good back looks like, here it is. Which brings me to the next point, EJ is not even that! The O-line is anemic and without Jackson this offense has had a really hard time moving the ball.

- Coaching Staff: With each passing game, the opposition is becoming better and better at magnifying the Bills weaknesses and minimizing their strengths. In turn this really can mean one thing: the Coaching staff is below average! I never saw it in Marrone. At best, I think he is a good Div-II HC.

The Ugly

- EJ & the Draft
    : With EJ playing like the second coming of Ryan Leaf & the Bills not having a 1st round pick next season, drafting a great QB prospect is out of the question. In case you did not know, this is a QB league and you definitely need one of those to make it to the big dance. That being said, we have done this before. The Bills jumped the gun on JP only to let Rogers pass them, and now history is repeating itself. PS: Image if we had Rogers!

- The Shoe Drops: The Bills are in Free-fall and you could see it all over their faces last night. After Miami took a 12-9 lead, it was over! There was no fight in this team, it appears as they had put everything out there the week prior and have lost faith in their system. For the record, the Bills were much better than KC, and let a douch-bag team beat they two years in a row precisely because they don't know the subtle differences between winning and loosing. And, I believe that the Bills are better than the Dols, but at this point who cares... when you can not even win the games you are suppose to, what difference can you make?

The Future

The Offseason: This offseason sure will be interesting! Will the Bills go after a new Fo & Coaching Staff? Will they try to hire the best? Will they resign Hughes & MD, etc??? It remains to be seen!
    Please Make Sense
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

I agree the future is bright now that the Pagulas own the Bills.

Marrone & Hackett need to go.

The Offense has gotten progressively worse with Hackett.

Depending on the next HC, Schwartz may leave as well.

Wade & Schwartz would be my favorites for the next HC.

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

You see some head coaches on the sidelines and how players interact with them. Marrone seems disconnected from the players. IDK. I don't think he has this team. Also seems so by the little smirk of Schwartz's face all the time.

Last edited by swiper; 11-15-2014, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• pmoon6
        Legendary Zoner
        • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
        You see some head coaches on the sidelines and how players interact with them. Marrone seems disconnected from the players. IDK. I don't think he has this team. Also seems so by the little smirk of Schwartz's face all the time.
        Hmmmm. The greatest coach in the history of the NFL didn't interact with his players on the sideline.

Tom Landry.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post
          Hmmmm. The greatest coach in the history of the NFL didn't interact with his players on the sideline.

Tom Landry.
          My favorite.

Just heard the local sports radio guy interview Roger Staubach on Veteran's Day. Roger talked fondly of his coach. He said he got to know him better AFTER football.

I don't think you are comparing a guy that call himself "Saint Doug" to Tom Landry, are you? The title may have fit the latter. But that's the only one of the two.

Comment

• pmoon6
            Legendary Zoner
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            My favorite.

Just heard the local sports radio guy interview Roger Staubach on Veteran's Day. Roger talked fondly of his coach. He said he got to know him better AFTER football.

I don't think you are comparing a guy that call himself "Saint Doug" to Tom Landry, are you? The title may have fit the latter. But that's the only one of the two.
            No, no. I was just pointing out that it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Coaches have different styles and different personalities. Rah, Rah, Player's Buddies, and the Stoic coaches can all be successful.

Comment

• Swiper
              Legendary Zoner
              • Sep 2010

Marrone is not stoic. He just doesn't seem to interact with his players much though. Even in camp. IDK.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                - D-Line & Jim Schwartz: In case you have been living under a rock, you have probably noticed that Ferocious D-Line, and yes is is Ferocious. The Bills lead the league in sacks, 2 of the top 5 sack leaders wear a Bills jersey and the next bill is at 11. To put this in perspective, if you are the opposing offense who would you block? Or put in another way, who do you prefer sack you?

- Coaching Staff: With each passing game, the opposition is becoming better and better at magnifying the Bills weaknesses and minimizing their strengths. In turn this really can mean one thing: the Coaching staff is below average! I never saw it in Marrone. At best, I think he is a good Div-II HC.
                I think you kind of unknowningly contradicted yourself here. Take a look at the run D the last four games. Over those last four games it's played to a last ranked level and the run D ranking has dropped from 1st to 11th during that time.

Unless anyone thinks that's going to change with some ferocious offenses and running attacks left on the schedule I think we're looking at a slide the puts this D well into below average territory all the way around, rushing, passing, with the simple exceptions of sacks, just like last year but which didn't help us win games.

I'll post the reality of our rushing defense at some point. Need to dig up the data.
                http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                Originally Posted by pmoon6
                The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                  Unreachable Douche
                  • Jul 2002

Why is new ownership good/great?
                  Just because they bought the Bills?
                  They did wonders for the Sabres.

Comment

• pmoon6
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                    Right, he kept the Bills' in Buffalo.

A good first step, but we shall see if he is a "good/great" owner.

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by pmoon6 View Post

Tom Landry.
                      Vince Lombardi owned Tom Landry

Comment

• Mike
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                        2 Reasons:
                        1) kept the Bills in Buffalo
                        2) Potential for a positive change at the very top.

Throughout his career Ralph Wilson produced the 6th worst winning percentage In NFL history (24th overall) and Pegula represents an opportunity to change that mentality. Obviously, none of us have a crystal ball or have knowledge if he has genuine interest in winning 1st and if he has the capacity to execute.
                        Please Make Sense

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          2 Reasons:
                          1) kept the Bills in Buffalo
                          2) Potential for a positive change at the very top.

Throughout his career Ralph Wilson produced the 6th worst winning percentage In NFL history (24th overall) and Pegula represents an opportunity to change that mentality. Obviously, none of us have a crystal ball or have knowledge if he has genuine interest in winning 1st and if he has the capacity to execute.
                          Agree, the key word there is potential. If that potential doesn't materialize we might very well be looking at another Wilson-like era. I think that's when many older fans lose interest as a bunch in this forum have already said they are.

This is a grand opportunity for Pegula to usher in a brand new and better era of Bills football. Let's hope he takes advantage of it and doesn't drag the past forward. For that and that reason alone, if not others too, he needs to start fresh with an an entirely new personnel staff beginning with the GM who would replace the head coach. As I've pointed out, Whaley's going to be a wounded animal this offseason and can do far more damage than good due to his needing to do something to ensure that this team improves next season yet without a 1st rounder. We really don't need a GM that's going to make all kinds of risky decisions at this stage of the franchise's history. Let's start fresh, absorb this draft without a 1st, and plan on two seasons of a rebuild that we're going to at least have anyway since there's no way that Whaley redeems himself next season.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            Agree, the key word there is potential. If that potential doesn't materialize we might very well be looking at another Wilson-like era. I think that's when many older fans lose interest as a bunch in this forum have already said they are.

This is a grand opportunity for Pegula to usher in a brand new and better era of Bills football. Let's hope he takes advantage of it and doesn't drag the past forward. For that and that reason alone, if not others too, he needs to start fresh with an an entirely new personnel staff beginning with the GM who would replace the head coach. As I've pointed out, Whaley's going to be a wounded animal this offseason and can do far more damage than good due to his needing to do something to ensure that this team improves next season yet without a 1st rounder. We really don't need a GM that's going to make all kinds of risky decisions at this stage of the franchise's history. Let's start fresh, absorb this draft without a 1st, and plan on two seasons of a rebuild that we're going to at least have anyway since there's no way that Whaley redeems himself next season.
                            If any fans lose interest it will be the younger fans who were raised in a World of instant gratification & self entitlement.

Us older fans were raised by parents who went through the great depression & one or two World Wars.

They brought us up to be tough unlike the young people today who run for cover when the going gets tough.

We know it takes time & hard work to attain things worthwhile.

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              If any fans lose interest it will be the younger fans who were raised in a World of instant gratification & self entitlement.

Us older fans were raised by parents who went through the great depression & one or two World Wars.

They brought us up to be tough unlike the young people today who run for cover when the going gets tough.

We know it takes time & hard work to attain things worthwhile.
                              Maybe, I was just referring to the handful of posters here citing their age (being older) and giving up interest more or less.

I would actually argue to the contrary, the younger fans have no perspective on the amount of talent it actually takes to create a perennial playoff team capable winning a championship. A lot of people simply say all you need is a QB but that's obviously far from the case. Their lack of awareness might make things look closer than they really are.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X