X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The NFL Is Getting Boring

The games are not as interesting or entertaining as they were in years past.

Am I just getting old and boring and self projecting, or do I see a trend?

I see a trend going on in the NFL and it's not me.

Denver vs. New England is getting old and boring.

What is the NFL going to be like once Manning and Brady retire?

Thursday Night Football has been a lopsided affair every week.

Last night's game was competitive, but a snooze fest.

6-3 at halftime, right? BORING. What is this, baseball?

"At least it was close at halftime and not a blowout," some NFL bigwig probably said.

The last two Monday Night Football games were blowouts.

Only 2 out of 10 MNF games have been competitive.

Al Michael's sounded like he was bored out of his mind on Monday night, probably because he was.

So what's going on? What's up with the NFL?

Seattle isn't the dominant team they were last year.

San Francisco is struggling.

The Cardinals are the surprise of the NFL, but they just lost everything in Carson Palmer.

The NFC South is surprisingly awful.

New Orleans leads the division at 4-5.
    Carolina is 3-6.
    Atlanta is 3-6.
    Tampa Bay is 1-8.

That's bad.

2 time Super Bowl Champion Eli Manning and the Giants are 3-6.

RGIII and the Redskins are 3-6.

Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez have the Eagles at 7-2???

The Bears are 3-6? I thought Jay Cutler was a top 10 quarterback?

Big Ben and the Steelers put on a record setting 2 game clinic, and then lost to the Jets.

The NFL is not predictable, which is the only thing I find interesting about the league today.

If it was predictable, we'd all be millionaires, but does anyone else see a future problem?

I used to like watching football, no matter who was playing. If a game was on, I watched.

That's changed recently. I've stopped watching football for 12 hours on Sundays and now only devote 4 hours of my Sunday to watching the Bills.

Am I getting old and boring, or is the NFL product diminishing?
  • djjimkelly
    • Apr 2003

Re: The NFL Is Getting Boring

simple answer the bills results are on repeat so your football emotions are mirroring it

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

The most recent 15 years of suckage has made the NFL boring.

Thank God I wasn't alive for the earlier suckage.

This franchise has basically sucked for most of its existence.
      Last edited by TacklingDummy; 11-14-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
          Am I getting old and boring, or is the NFL product diminishing?
          I tend to agree with you generally speaking BI. I've had the same thoughts over the last few years. The fact that we suck I don't think is it for me. When/if we become good I won't care what's going on around the league, I'll start going to games again.

I think that one of the biggest factors in what you say is that the NFL has saturated the media market. There are so many talking heads out there that are all redundant for the most part. The NFL's 24 news cycle requires an enormous soap-opera element to it to keep things semi-relevant which to me tarnishes the game. I'm not saying that if players commit crimes that they shouldn't be held accountable and all that, but who wants to hear about that stuff incessantly interwoven with football stuff. After a while it gets old.

The games have become longer, statistically, not just perceptually, and when we factor that into all the rules changes slowly turning the NFL into more of a flag football league imo it has made the game less tolerable.

I don't know what else it is other than to suggest than when it was just Sundays and MNF with coverage beginning on Friday maybe it was a little more special. Now it's every morning, every day, 24/7 we get bombarded with NFL stuff.

I'm not so sure that the state of a division, NFCS for example, is a big difference, that's been the case since the NFL went to 8 divisions in the last realignment. Not every year but it's happened enough. Sanchez's play is puzzling. I can only assume that it's due to a lack of film re: him on the Eagles. I don't see it continuing.

Who knows, but overall I agree with you and for me it has nothing to do with the sorry state of our team which is a separate issue altogether. I'm waiting for Pegula to make major changes. If that doesn't happen at the end of the season then I'm going to start already losing faith there.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
            The most recent 15 years of suckage has made the NFL boring.

Thank God I wasn't alive for the earlier suckage.

This franchise has basically sucked for most of its existence.
            It's sucked whenever Polian wasn't our GM. The irony is that Polian was fired by Ralph over a non-football related issue having to do with people far more problematic in the organization over the years.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
              • Aug 2013

You are 100% correct. Flags are absolutely out of control in this league and there is only 1 way to win---- get a good QB. The wool is over everyone's eyes with a false sense of "parity" when in fact come playoff time that is just not the case. We get strung along every year with a couple good wins that even the worst teams are able to pull off sometimes and there is a false sense of hope that makes games relevant. The reality is that none of these games were relevant because the Bills were never good due to not having a QB.

Every year it is the same storyline and the same issues. I never want to lose the Bills but if the whole league at once went up in flames I don't think I'd feel too badly. I'm sick of watching ****ty boring MNF/TNF but I can't take my eyes away. It's pure insanity how we sit there and hope that something unique happens that we don't want to miss out on.

I could rant about the ****tyness of the NFL all day long it's my favorite drinking topic...

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

The game has changed for the worst. It's a glorified marketing extravaganza with less football being played and more showboating. Every game feels like the MLB home run derby or the NBA dunking contest. I hardly watch games any more...

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                  Every year it is the same storyline and the same issues. I never want to lose the Bills but if the whole league at once went up in flames I don't think I'd feel too badly. I'm sick of watching ****ty boring MNF/TNF but I can't take my eyes away. It's pure insanity how we sit there and hope that something unique happens that we don't want to miss out on.

I could rant about the ****tyness of the NFL all day long it's my favorite drinking topic...
                  LOL

To a T brother!

Post #46

------

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Start watching other teams games, you'll realize it's Buffalo Bills football that is boring not the NFL.

Sure the league has changed over the past 20 years but it's changed towards more scoring, the Bills haven't changed along with it. And I know people on this board like scoring and don't enjoy watching low scoring affairs that were prevalent 20+ years ago, just look at the opening post of this thread and how people talk about that Cleveland Buffalo debacle a few years ago.

Bottom line, the league changed and the Bills still try to win with smash mouth football and no discernible talent at QB.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I have to admit I agree with the OP to a certain point, and I never really thought I would get to that level. I don't watch as much as I used to, and that has a lot more to do with the current status of the league and teams than it does the Bills sucking.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• pmoon6
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Dec 2002

The NFL has become a joke. It's a different game where you aren't really allowed to play defense.

But, the youngsters like it. Lots of touchdowns. Too bad, the stoppages in play and the plethora of commercials make it almost unwatchable. You either have to record a game you are interested in or do what I do. Start prepping and cooking during the multitude of breaks. Then Sunday dinner is ready when the games over.

Comment

• Typ0
                          honey pie
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                          Start watching other teams games, you'll realize it's Buffalo Bills football that is boring not the NFL.

Sure the league has changed over the past 20 years but it's changed towards more scoring, the Bills haven't changed along with it. And I know people on this board like scoring and don't enjoy watching low scoring affairs that were prevalent 20+ years ago, just look at the opening post of this thread and how people talk about that Cleveland Buffalo debacle a few years ago.

Bottom line, the league changed and the Bills still try to win with smash mouth football and no discernible talent at QB.
                          That is so not true! The clock is now running all the time and they are always in commercial break or yelping about something...or spending 5 mins looking into a little booth for a replay because the officials suck. In the last ten years several times the complete course of championship games have been changed by very clear poor officiating. What is the impetus to even watch when there is so little game play and the rules are so complicated even the refs can't get it right? There are only two teams on the field refereeing should not play a role in how the game ends but it does.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            • May 2009

The refs are deciding too many games by questionable calls and it's making it hard for me to watch.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                              simple answer the bills results are on repeat so your football emotions are mirroring it
                              The Bills results are nothing I'm not used to by now. Their season thus far has nothing to do with how I feel about watching the other 31 teams the NFL has to offer.

What I am not used to is the constant interruption in play by, "over-officious," part time grandpas trying to keep up with some of the fastest, most talented athletes on the planet.

The flow of the game used to be watchable and tolerable even with all the commercials.

There is no flow anymore! Momentum changing plays are often overturned by penalties.

Big hits are now penalized, even when they're technically sound and legal.

"Flag football?" The NFL's got it.

Give the players skirts and bras while the NFL is at it.

Fewer big hits means less excitement, and players are less likely to make big plays fearing a flag.

Close calls are reviewed and take 10 minutes to determine what a 10 year old kid could decide in 5 seconds.

Kick off returns are a thing of the past, one of the most exciting aspects of the game has been turned in to 3 more minutes of commercial advertising revenue.

I've tried watching other games this season, and they're just not clicking with me anymore. I'm clicking to another channel instead of watching what used to be a fun and entertaining game to see on television.

Comment

Working...
                              X