Trade of the Century/Alonso for Manziel/what If...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Figster
    • Oct 2010

Trade of the Century/Alonso for Manziel/what If...

Dynasty team normally consists of 3 key ingredients on Offense, a star RB, star WR, and most importantly, a star QB. The Buffalo Bills have been searching for that ever elusive franchise QB for over a decade. I realize Johnny football may not be everyones idea of a franchise QB, but ask yourself this, If you block out the name Manziel, replace it with a potential franchise young QB prospect of your choice does the trade make sense.

None of us can predict the future from a player perspective, but from a team perspective without a franchise QB the Buffalo Bills are a good example of how an NFL football team performs without an above average QB leading the team. Average to sub par QB play gets you average to sub par results.

Buffalo has the star WR in Sammy Watkins, and it would be to the Bills best interest not to waste time finding the franchise QB to go with him as soon as possible. Once the Browns play Manziel the chance to trade for him may slip away, just as easily as JF slipped away from would be tacklers at the collegiate level.

Browns HC, the Defensive minded Mike Pettine's knees would buckle at the thought of having the Legendary Alonso play for him on Defense in Cleveland.

...A legend for a legend...

...what if...
  • BuffaloRedleg
    • Aug 2013

Re: Trade of the Century/Alonso for Manziel/what If...

Well actually this is not completely crazy in some sense. Hoyer seems like the real deal, although I think they'll hold onto Manziel just in case. If we had the capital to pry him away (like next years first round pick... oh wait) we might be able to do it.

I'm not a huge Manziel fan or anything and I'm not saying we should do it, but what you are saying would not be out of the realm of possibility.

Comment

• The Jokeman
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by dog14787 View Post
      Dynasty team normally consists of 3 key ingredients on Offense, a star RB, star WR, and most importantly, a star QB. The Buffalo Bills have been searching for that ever elusive franchise QB for over a decade. I realize Johnny football may not be everyones idea of a franchise QB, but ask yourself this, If you block out the name Manziel, replace it with a potential franchise young QB prospect of your choice does the trade make sense.

None of us can predict the future from a player perspective, but from a team perspective without a franchise QB the Buffalo Bills are a good example of how an NFL football team performs without an above average QB leading the team. Average to sub par QB play gets you average to sub par results.

Buffalo has the star WR in Sammy Watkins, and it would be to the Bills best interest not to waste time finding the franchise QB to go with him as soon as possible. Once the Browns play Manziel the chance to trade for him may slip away, just as easily as JF slipped away from would be tacklers at the collegiate level.

Browns HC, the Defensive minded Mike Pettine's knees would buckle at the thought of having the Legendary Alonso play for him on Defense in Cleveland.

...A legend for a legend...

...what if...
      No, thank you.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Sounds like something Whaley would do, trade the best player on the team for a dream.

Oh wait, he may have done that in trading next year's 1st and 4th for a WR that appears to not be much better than some of the rest of his draft class at WR and WRs that would have been available at 9th or with a trade down to get even more picks.

Alonso will be the key to the D going forward, he truly appears to be a special player, why even mention this.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post

Oh wait, he may have done that in trading next year's 1st and 4th for a WR that appears to not be much better than some of the rest of his draft class at WR and WRs that would have been available at 9th or with a trade down to get even more picks.
          Without a doubt the Bills screwed up and paid too much for Watkins.
          When you don't have a QB, you don't trade away your first round pick.

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
            Without a doubt the Bills screwed up and paid too much for Watkins.
            When you don't have a QB, you don't trade away your first round pick.
            For two reasons, that, and the seeming fact that Watkins simply hasn't proven himself to have been better than his draft class peers to the extent that warranted that decision.

Now we're set back another year and in the same spot that we were at the start of this season and last season. Maybe a top prospect QB will slip to the mid-40s where likely we'll be picking again, but it's not likely. Either way, Whaley's judgement in the matter stinks, do we really want him making that decision again? Whose interest will he be serving, his own in the interests of a career that's on the precipice, or the team's? Anyone thinking that it will be our team's interest first is naive.

We really can't afford to leave him in that position, presumably Pegula's smart enough to realize that.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
              For two reasons, that, and the seeming fact that Watkins simply hasn't proven himself to have been better than his draft class peers to the extent that warranted that decision.

Now we're set back another year and in the same spot that we were at the start of this season and last season. Maybe a top prospect QB will slip to the mid-40s where likely we'll be picking again, but it's not likely. Either way, Whaley's judgement in the matter stinks, do we really want him making that decision again? Whose interest will he be serving, his own in the interests of a career that's on the precipice, or the team's? Anyone thinking that it will be our team's interest first is naive.

We really can't afford to leave him in that position, presumably Pegula's smart enough to realize that.
              Who's the franchise QB the Bills are missing out on in not having pick 12? I mean honestly if you look over the the 2015 NFL draft there is no true can't miss franchise type QBs out there. I know people are clamoring Winston but with the new NFL conduct policies the guy could find his way out of the league quicker than Ryan Leaf.

Comment

• dog14787
                • Oct 2010

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

No ****ing way, and neither are a 'legend' yet. Alonso has had one good season, Johnny Football has barely even seen the field.

Watkins' hobbling the last couple of weeks, if anything, has shown how important he is to the offense when healthy...him being slowed has pretty much taken anything in the mid-range completely out of the equation.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                    Who's the franchise QB the Bills are missing out on in not having pick 12? I mean honestly if you look over the the 2015 NFL draft there is no true can't miss franchise type QBs out there. I know people are clamoring Winston but with the new NFL conduct policies the guy could find his way out of the league quicker than Ryan Leaf.
                    I'm sure that there will be an impact player at 12th (or whatever the pick is). I think we can agree that at 44th the odds go down dramatically.

The mistake you're making here is the "what player" mistake. OK, so there's no QB available maybe, but that would have more to do with us having such poor managerial vision as an organization that we always seem to be in drafts with no QBs when we need one the most and ignore QBs when drafts are richest with them. And maybe if we were going to trade up it would have made more sense to do so this year for a QB like Mariota. We had Whaley chasing bad money in Manuel last year though so that's not an option.

We're more than a QB away still, so why not go for another position this draft and accept the fact that we're likely in at least a two-year rebuild now and build the strongest team we can given the availabilities and get a QB at the first available opportunity instead of forcing the matter like we did in 2013 with Manuel.

We're never going to be good if all we do is keep forcing players in drafts that are not strong in those positions or by reaching. I'd just like to see some real progress. We're worse now because Jackson's falling off. No QB, no RB, one WR, a so-so TE and OL needs. Again, I wouldn't have been so eager to get rid of Stevie who's playing pretty darn well as a 3rd in SF. Defensively we need DBs and LBs. Are we really better at this time this year than we were at this time last year? Debatable at best.

Post #46

------

Comment

• djjimkelly
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                      ive actually been doing a little research this is a horrific QB class maybe the worst in 15 years

and i want no part of johnny football

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                        ive actually been doing a little research this is a horrific QB class maybe the worst in 15 years

and i want no part of johnny football
                        how could it possibly be worse than 2013? that year was horrific
                        I came.
                        I saw.
                        I conquered.

Comment

• Fixxxer
                          • Jul 2002

No way I make this thread. Kiko is a great cover LB and a playmaker, we are missing him a lot this year. If they like Manziel, make a trade, I wouldn't mind having more competition at QB though I don't think much of him right now.

Comment

• dog14787
                            • Oct 2010

I watched the Brady backup bowl yesterday and began asking myself how could this be, two good starting QB's drafted by a team that has Tom Brady.

Meanwhile some of our starters over the last few years like JP Losman or Trent Edwards arent even in the league.

Awww come on man!!!

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Here's how it can be, the people doing the drafting at OBD obviously don't know what to look for in a QB. We've whiffed so many times, now capped off by a world-class flop in Manuel, for whom all the indicators were out there that he'd be a long-term project at best if not a bust outright had this team even bothered to read what was available online if nowhere else prior to the draft.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X