• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

TMQ takes BUF's coaching to task.

..."Buck-Buck-Brawkkkkkk: Trailing by 10 points in the fourth quarter at Miami, the Bills faced fourth-and-6 in Dolphins territory -- and sent in the punt unit. Words fail me. One reason for Buffalo's league-worst, 15-year playoff drought -- the Bills haven't been to the postseason in this century -- is timorous coaches who play not to lose rather than play to win. The last three especially -- Dick Jauron, Chan Gailey and now Doug Marrone -- were wedded to conservative tactics, launching punt after punt in opposition territory and never seeming to realize this had anything to do with their combined 51-80 record. In a span of five days -- at home versus Kansas City, then the Miami road game -- the Bills lost two games while scoring just one touchdown. Not only did Marrone order punts in opposition territory versus both the Chiefs and Dolphins; not only did Marrone punt on fourth-and-1 near midfield when trailing Kansas City in the fourth quarter. Four times in five days the Bills had fourth-and-goal or fourth-and-short in the red zone, and all four times Marrone sent in the kicking unit. The Bills face yet another housecleaning in the offseason, but this time the entire front office should go, too. It's the front office that hires the timid coaches and makes the nutty draft-day decisions.

With Buffalo and Miami each 5-4 at kickoff, the game was essentially an elimination contest, since at least 10 wins will be required for an AFC wild card this season. Buffalo is now all but mathematically done, while at 6-4, Miami joins the postseason conversation coming off three consecutive strong performances -- emphatic home wins versus the Chargers and Bills and a close road loss at Detroit. Down the stretch, Miami has winnable dates against Minnesota and Jersey/B twice. The Dolphins' issue is their other final opponents are Baltimore, Denver and New England. Playing at Denver this coming Sunday, Miami has an opportunity to knock on the door of the league's elite."...

There's a 10-year trend toward more flags against the defensive secondary, which translates into more first downs and fewer punts. Result? More scoring drives, Tuesday Morning Quarterback writes.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: TMQ takes BUF's coaching to task.

Easterbrook grew up in Buffalo and is a Bills fan. He understands the frustration.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
      • Sep 2012

Easterbrook calls out cowardly punting and he's right to.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
        • Mar 2004

While it's a long road ahead, at 5-5 they are far from "all but mathematically" eliminated.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
          While it's a long road ahead, at 5-5 they are far from "all but mathematically" eliminated.
          They are basically eliminated but not mathematically yet, "all but mathematically eliminated" perfectly sums up the Bills situation, especially when they are in 8th place for the 2 wild cards (1.5 games out of the final wild card) & have games coming up against Denver, Green Bay & New England.
          The only way the Bills are seeing the playoffs is on TV.

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Your friendly wager with me that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs in the AFC is already in jeopardy. KC's a shoe-in for 10-6 now.
            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
            Originally Posted by pmoon6
            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

KC is the most overrated team… We should of had them, twice.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                Your friendly wager with me that a 9-7 team will make the playoffs in the AFC is already in jeopardy. KC's a shoe-in for 10-6 now.
                We will see. Denver lost to St. Louis, so that proves that anything can still happen really.

Comment

• GreedoII
                  • Aug 2007

"It's the front office that hires the timid coaches and makes the nutty draft-day decisions"

Russ Brandon needs to go away. This turd has been skating by all this time. Why Isn't anyone holding him accountable? It's his coach..and his plan

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

We will see. Denver lost to St. Louis, so that proves that anything can still happen really.
                    Maybe insofar as Denver goes, but it'll be odd if both Denver and KC lose 4 of their remaining 6 games, particularly since neither's schedule is that tough despite playing each other.

Anything can happen regarding teams getting in, but again, it would be odd for a 9-7 to make it in the AFC this season. The three of the four teams in the AFCN that are playing this weekend all have very winnable games. If two win them they'll be 3-2 away from 10-6.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post
                      "It's the front office that hires the timid coaches and makes the nutty draft-day decisions"

Russ Brandon needs to go away. This turd has been skating by all this time. Why Isn't anyone holding him accountable? It's his coach..and his plan
                      To Brandon's credit he isn't a football guy, but that then raises the question why his responsibilities spill over into that arena. We can't blame him for pretending to be one since he's been put in a certain role. It's clearly because of the way Ralph ran the team by leaning more on friendships than on competence in the area of football knowledge, which is exactly why he fired Polian, which is clearly among the dumbest decisions of any owners ever in pro football.

My fear is that Pegula will be similar since he's all about "all things Buffalo." Don't get me wrong, happy that he bought the team and all, but he seems far more concerned with building a downtown sports and business complex than he does about building a winner for the Bills. I may be way off on that, but so far he hasn't done anything for the Sabres except take them down despite the differences in the opinions of Sabres fans as to how and why that is.

I really think we find out after this season. Again, he's got a golden opportunity to clean house now, it's a once in a lifetime thing. As a fan he'd have to be a fool not to realize what the problems are with this team, which stem directly from the FO, and as an owner, a new one, he'd be remiss in not taking the opportunity to simply say that it's time to turn a page in the way the organization is run, tell everyone that it's nothing personal, and if he feels bad pay them all for an extra year or 6 months or whatever, and then put some people in there without ties to NYS or Pittsburgh that are capable of producing a winning team.

It really is that simple.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

By the way, I give you credit for your optimism.

Post #46

------

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by GreedoII View Post

Russ will be restricted to marketing under Pegula which he is very good at.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I would not say Gailey had a play not to lose offensive system/philosophy. So far, he's the only one who knew what to do with Spiller. Gailey's mistake was Fitz.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                              I would not say Gailey had a play not to lose offensive system/philosophy. So far, he's the only one who knew what to do with Spiller. Gailey's mistake was Fitz.
                              That was a pretty big mistake though.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X