What would it require for Marrone/Whaley to keep their jobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRedleg
    • Aug 2013

So we're 7-5. It's not a particularly strong 7-5, but who's ever is? We don't get credit for close losses so I for the most part don't mind giving credit for close wins. That's just the way the NFL is, so I'll just leave it at that. With some exceptions you are what your record says you are.

How does the rest of the season need to play out for the Bills for you to think that Marrone/Whaley should remain on board?

Should they already be secure even if we lose out?

Will 9-7 do it? That means we'll have beat 1 of the 3 best teams in the league and I'm assuming the Raiders. Not good enough for playoffs, but enough to keep their jobs? Does it matter which of the 3 teams the win is over? I'm on the fence on this. I think that I would have to see how it plays out before I make a call on this record. If we played all of our last games pretty well but just get beat close then I think 9-7 is good enough for me.

Will 10-6 do it? That would require a Herculean effort by the team, but would it save their jobs? I'd like to see someone argue how 10-6 would not be enough that they should keep their jobs, but I know there are some guys around here who will do so. Playoffs or no, I believe they should keep their jobs without question at 10-6.

If not 10-6, would 11-5 do it? That's winning out. Come on, if you think they should be fired after that I don't know what to tell you.

Before some of you get your panties in a bunch, I'm not saying the Bills will do these things. At least one person is going to respond "not worth talking about because there is no chance" and that is completely missing the point.

We are just talking hypothetical. I'm trying to gauge where people are at with the duo currently. I think it's good to get these things on record for when we argue about it inevitably at the end of the season.
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Re: What would it require for Marrone/Whaley to keep their jobs?

already secure.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Why would they be going anywhere?

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
        Why would they be going anywhere?
        If they lost all of their remaining games you wouldn't think they should be fired?

I sure would.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
          If they lost all of their remaining games you wouldn't think they should be fired?

I sure would.
          Regardless how they finish, being the new owner I would be firing Whaley for trading away next years 1st and 4th to move up to draft a WR when they don't have a Quarterback.

No coach is going to succeed without a QB, so I would give Doug a pass this year.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
            • Aug 2013

Regardless how they finish, being the new owner I would be firing Whaley for trading away next years 1st and 4th to move up to draft a WR when they don't have a Quarterback.

No coach is going to succeed without a QB, so I would give Doug a pass this year.
            So if they went 11-5 you would still fire Whaley for trading that pick? I mean, if we're going to get that hypothetical then what if they won the Superbowl?

Your mind is that made up to the point that absolutely nothing they can do will change that?

Interesting.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

So if they went 11-5 you would still fire Whaley for trading that pick? I mean, if we're going to get that hypothetical then what if they won the Superbowl.
              I'm not playing the what if game, I'm playing the what I would do game.

I'd fire Whaley for what I stated above.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                • Aug 2013

I'm not playing the what if game, I'm playing the what I would do game.

I'd fire Whaley for what I stated above.
                Why would you respond to a thread where you refuse to address the presented topic?

It's a simple question. If the Bills made the playoffs, would you still fire Whaley?

Comment

• imbondz
                  Democrats are people too
                  • Jan 2003

No one on this board thought we'd be 7-5 at this point. 7-9 / 8-8 Marrone keeps his job.
                  My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Why would you respond to a thread where you refuse to address the presented topic?

It's a simple question. If the Bills made the playoffs, would you still fire Whaley?
                    I told you if I was owner I'd fire him regardless how they finished.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

They are safe for next season at this point, and both should be.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

You know my take from our conversations.

Whaley's two biggest moves easily have been Manuel and Watkins and he's choked on both. Not on Watkins because he's bad, but because there were at minimum equal, likely better, WRs available with our original pick last year. He could have done equal and maybe better and kept our picks. He promised playoffs as a result and won't have delivered. He should be fired. He even says so himself, so it shouldn't be a big surprise.

Marrone can be fired this year or next, it won't matter. He's been in over his head since he was hired. Poor hire to begin with, so why not move on from it.
                        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                        Originally Posted by pmoon6
                        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                          • Aug 2013

I told you if I was owner I'd fire him regardless how they finished.
                          Yep. Got it. You'd fire him for the Watkins trade even if the Bills win the Superbowl.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            You know my take from our conversations.

Whaley's two biggest moves easily have been Manuel and Watkins and he's choked on both. Not on Watkins because he's bad, but because there were at minimum equal, likely better, WRs available with our original pick last year. He could have done equal and maybe better and kept our picks. He promised playoffs as a result and won't have delivered. He should be fired. He even says so himself, so it shouldn't be a big surprise.

Marrone can be fired this year or next, it won't matter. He's been in over his head since he was hired. Poor hire to begin with, so why not move on from it.
                            So would you still consider it a failure if the Bills finish 10-6? What about 11-5?

Although we can safely assume we know how the season ends, I'm not asking that. I'm asking what it would take for them to keep their jobs.

Comment

• WagonCircler
                              Escaped Convict
                              • Jul 2002

10-6 would be the Mendoza line for me. They would have to beat two damn good teams to get there.

I don't think they will.

That said, I also think Whaley and Marrone, despite being the very definition of mediocrity, will get to stay anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X