PDA

View Full Version : I'm filing for a divorce from the Buffalo Bills

The King
01-08-2015, 07:44 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/my-view/james-t-malley-im-filing-for-a-divorce-from-buffalo-bills-20150107

It hurt again. But this time it felt different. Although it was nothing that I had not experienced in the last 15 years, this time around I felt genuine pain. The moment it happened, I felt that all-too-familiar sinking, heavy feeling. The young quarterback from the other team rolled out and threw a jump ball and converted a 3rd-and-22 pass and effectively ended the Buffalo Bills’ season.

BuffaloRedleg
01-08-2015, 07:50 AM
Some things you are stuck with, and the team that represents your home city is one of them.

A few weeks ago I made a bet in a league that the Patriots would cover a 7 points spread. I have to be honest, it felt pretty awesome rooting for a winner. I haven't felt that since the Sabres in '06.

BuffaloRedleg
01-08-2015, 08:25 AM
That being said the biggest douches are the ones who are fans of other teams in their home towns.

Seeing that corrupt tub of lard from Jersey rooting for the Cowboys is exactly what I'm talking about. In fact I'd say that Cowboys fans are by far the worst offenders. They are everywhere, and most of which have never even been to dallas.

Zero
01-08-2015, 08:50 AM
That being said the biggest douches are the ones who are fans of other teams in their home towns.

Seeing that corrupt tub of lard from Jersey rooting for the Cowboys is exactly what I'm talking about. In fact I'd say that Cowboys fans are by far the worst offenders. They are everywhere, and most of which have never even been to dallas.

Funny you should say that. I was born and raised in NYC, I'm a fan of the Bills because my older brother was attending UB way back in the late 80's when I began to watch football. It would be alot easier on my heart and on the soul to be a fan of the Giants.

I realize I am in the minority, as most fans of teams outside their geographic region usually root for teams that have had more success than the ones that are local- but we do exist...

Joe Fo Sho
01-08-2015, 08:56 AM

So true, and I'm so sick of hearing the 'BUT THEY'RE AMERICA'S TEAM' excuse when you ask why they would root for the Cowboys. F*** right off with that nonsense.

Historian
01-08-2015, 09:32 AM
This ****** needs to get a grip....

trapezeus
01-08-2015, 10:27 AM
the author will get remarried to the bills when they are good at some point.

plus the divorce never goes through. i used to think that i wanted to like the teams less. but you can't. it's easier to check out when their season's are effectively over. but you still want them doing the right things to ensure longer term success.

you still want a chance at the glory.

and plus, having all this anguish will make a real run amazing. in one way, i was happy the bills didn'tsqueak into the playoffs thisyear and play on the road. it would be awesome (long shot, i know), for the first playoff game to be hosted in buffalo. That crowd/energy will be better than all the fracking gas in the world!

Night Train
01-08-2015, 10:30 AM
It's another Look At Me post for Facebook fans.

DraftBoy
01-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Too bad his alimony payment will likely come in the form of public funding of a stadium for his Ex-NFL Team.

Then when she's young and hot again he'll want her back.

Sucker play.

chris66
01-08-2015, 02:25 PM

Seeing that corrupt tub of lard from Jersey rooting for the Cowboys is exactly what I'm talking about. In fact I'd say that Cowboys fans are by far the worst offenders. They are everywhere, and most of which have never even been to dallas.this i agree with 100%. If you dont have any connection with that city. how can you be a fan of that team, if your home market has a team

WagonCircler
01-08-2015, 02:35 PM

That's how i've always felt about people from Buffalo who are Miami fans. It really takes a special kind of douchebag.

That's why, whenever I say (and I mean it) that if we go into the season with Brandon and Whaley still in place and EJ as our starter, I will just stop being an NFL fan.

I can't just switch favorite teams, but I will not buy the bull**** if the Bills signal to me that the status quo is just fine with them.

I'm get my football fix on Saturdays.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-08-2015, 03:30 PM

So I am a douchebag now? Come on I admit I live in Kansas City and that I hopped aboard the Bills bandwagon in 1991 at the age of 7 (the Bills had just destroyed the Raiders 51-3 in the AFC Championship Game en route to the Superbowl) but come on I don't think you can call me a bandwagon fan of any sort and I have staying power. Lets see 25 years of being a Bills Fan and no playoffs in 15. I think I have earned the right to be a Bills fan.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-08-2015, 03:32 PM
this i agree with 100%. If you dont have any connection with that city. how can you be a fan of that team, if your home market has a team

Because Chiefs fans were extremely obnoxious to me when I was in elementary school. That said, I don't mind when the Chiefs win except when they play the Bills, but they are at best my second favorite team.

Demon
01-08-2015, 04:03 PM
I couldn't even tell you how many times we've see such articles or posts from members on BillsZone. It's hilarious. If you truly quit, hit the X at the top of the page, don't watch games, don't attend games and move on with your life. Feeling the need to tell us that you're quitting is a loser thing to do. As someone else said, once the Bills go on a 2-game win streak, this loser will be back with his pom poms.

Woodman
01-08-2015, 04:14 PM
what demon said.

trapezeus
01-09-2015, 07:48 AM
growing up in buffalo where the bills are everything, rooting for another team is being a DB. it's not just the team, but the whole experience for the town. rooting against it is odd. my mom never got into football. she actually hates it. but secretly she wants the bills to do well.

growing up in a town with a more transient population, i can see how you root for another team. in NY, so many people aren't from NY. HOw many bills fans moved from buffalo to NY and now raising a family of bills fan in the NY/NJ/CT area. I wouldn't think them a douchebag.

and for towns that really sucked for a while, and other teams were more fun and on TV alot, if you liked the game before directv, you just got exposed to a different team. one of my college pals from LA is a bills fan simply because he saw so many games at a young age. and when you talk to him about old history, he knows it as well as anyone else.

those are my two cents on fans from other cities.

BuffaloRedleg
01-09-2015, 02:55 PM
Funny you should say that. I was born and raised in NYC, I'm a fan of the Bills because my older brother was attending UB way back in the late 80's when I began to watch football. It would be alot easier on my heart and on the soul to be a fan of the Giants.

I realize I am in the minority, as most fans of teams outside their geographic region usually root for teams that have had more success than the ones that are local- but we do exist...

Well, Bills fans are exempt. You've certainly earned the exemption over the years!

Nobody ever picks the Bills because they are "cool", so I mean if you are a Browns/Raiders/Jags/Bills/etc fan and you were born in say Dallas I don't think anyone would hold that against you in this case. In fact, you'd really deserve praise more than anything.

BuffaloRedleg
01-09-2015, 02:59 PM
So I am a douchebag now? Come on I admit I live in Kansas City and that I hopped aboard the Bills bandwagon in 1991 at the age of 7 (the Bills had just destroyed the Raiders 51-3 in the AFC Championship Game en route to the Superbowl) but come on I don't think you can call me a bandwagon fan of any sort and I have staying power. Lets see 25 years of being a Bills Fan and no playoffs in 15. I think I have earned the right to be a Bills fan.

Yeah I overstated that a bit for effect, although I do have a tough time following your state of mind. I can't get over how the Bills represent my City and I can't imagine being a fan of another team. I can't even be fans of teams in sports that Buffalo doesn't even have a team in (see: Red Sox) because they share the city with the Patriots and the Bruins.

notacon
01-09-2015, 03:44 PM
Anyone who threatens to not be a fan of a team, or the NFL, because the team sucks or they don't do what you want them to, or they have a certain GM or coach or QB was never a real fan in the first place. They are fake and liars. To them I say GO **** YOURSELF!!!! I don't want you as a fellow Bills fan and need you like the plague. Go the **** away!!!!

I've been a Bills fan since as early as I can remember...around 1962 when I was 7 years old. I watched every away game that was on TV, and listened to every home game on my portable radio. Could not afford tickets so I never got to go to a game until I was an adult.

The First AFL Championship we won in 1964 I watched with my dad when he carried our little B&W TV into the attic and attached tin foil to the antenna so we could pick up the signal from Erie. I never missed watching or listening to a game until I went overseas for a year of college. It was a dismal year for me. But, luckily enough the British actually broadcast a Bills game (mainly because of OJ)....but, in British style they truncated it to about an hour.

I was in heaven.

I lived through the good, the bad and the ugly. Terrible QB's like Dan Darrah, Dennis Shaw and Vince Ferragamo. I was proud of Ed Rutkowski when he was pressed into action because of injuries. I was at the game against Miami when we ended the ten year drought and tore down the goal posts and passed them up to Mr. Wilson's box. I was pumped when I went to the first game after we traded for Cornelius Bennet as he terrorized John Elway. I was amazed at the way Bruce Smith single handedly could change the outcome of a game even while being triple teamed.

I was elated when Jim Kelly landed in Buffalo airport to a hero's welcome after the USFL folded. I was proud of my team as they won four AFC Championships and was depressed when they lost four Super Bowls.

Even during the one, two and three win seasons....I watched or listened to EVERY game. And I watched or listened to the absolute END of every game, win or lose.

The idea of "divorcing" the Bills just because they did not meet expectations is disgusting to me. Fickle and Bandwagon fans don't impress me. Again...those ass wipes can GO **** THEMSELVES!!!!

I may ***** and moan about the trials and tribulations of the sad sack Bills....but they are MY TEAM!!!! And ALWAYS WILL BE, until the day I die.

YardRat
01-09-2015, 04:12 PM
I work with...

...A Broncos fan-he's excused because he grew up in Colorado and moved to WNY as an adult...
...A Packers fan-he's semi-excused, because he was young before Buffalo had an AFL team, and still roots for the Bills unless playing Green Bay...
...A Cowboys fan-born, raised and lived in WNY all of his life, so there is no excuse for him.