PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning is about done. How far behind is Brady?

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2015, 06:38 PM
In the Colts game, you see he just doesn't have the deep ball accuracy any more. And I believe Brady is only one year younger.

I can believe one day this off season Whaley gets a call from Elway- "Manning is available, your 2nd round pick and next 3 first round picks."

Crisis
01-11-2015, 06:54 PM
3 1sts and a 2nd for a year, maybe two of Manning who is clearly in decline?

I'd give up a high pick or two, not four of them.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't even sign a soon to be 39 year old QB as a free agent.

Crisis
01-11-2015, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't even sign a soon to be 39 year old QB as a free agent.

Can do a lot worse with stop-gap options than Peyton Manning, even at 39. You'd rather have Sanchez or whoever else for a year or Peyton?

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 07:18 PM
Can do a lot worse with stop-gap options than Peyton Manning, even at 39. You'd rather have Sanchez or whoever else for a year or Peyton?

Peyton would never come here so why bother wasting bandwidth talking about it?

Crisis
01-11-2015, 07:19 PM
Peyton would never come here so why bother wasting bandwidth talking about it?

Because the notion that WE would turn down a 39 year old Manning on this current roster is absurd.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:21 PM
Can do a lot worse with stop-gap options than Peyton Manning, even at 39. You'd rather have Sanchez or whoever else for a year or Peyton?The point is moot anyway since Manning is under contract, but he showed the diminishing skills of an aging QB today. It's a new day in Buffalo, you can draft a QB and don't need a stopgap although it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign Dirty Sanchez.

Novacane
01-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Peyton looked bad tonight. I bet next years his last.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:23 PM
Because the notion that WE would turn down a 39 year old Manning on this current roster is absurd.Then call me "absurd" because he looked like Kyle Orton today.

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Because the notion that WE would turn down a 39 year old Manning on this current roster is absurd.

It depends, if you feel Peyton could win us a Super Bowl then yes I'm all about getting him. Yet he's a $19m cap hit which would kill any chance of us re-signing Hughes and not sure we have the offensive line to protect him or if he has the arm strength to play in Buffalo's winds come playoff time. As great as Peyton has been he hasn't been great the last 7 weeks. Of course it's debatable if it's him or the Broncos decided to rely more on their running game more. I'm not sure the Bills are the current version of Peyton Manning away from winning it all so I'd pass.

Crisis
01-11-2015, 07:28 PM
Hughes is gone either way. The difference between Manning and Orton would make us legit contenders. He'd probably end up choking in the playoffs again but it's more than worth the shot considering it's been 16 years since we've even sniffed the playoffs.

It doesn't really matter though because there's 0.01% chance Manning is on this roster next year. He was bad down the stretch this year but he still threw 39 TDs... you can't tell me the difference between Manning and Orton/EJ isn't the 1-2 games needed to push us into a playoff spot though. I'd take him in a heartbeat. We're not exactly in the position to be picky.

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 07:32 PM
The point is moot anyway since Manning is under contract, but he showed the diminishing skills of an aging QB today. It's a new day in Buffalo, you can draft a QB and don't need a stopgap although it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign Dirty Sanchez.

Sanchez would alienate fans too much, I think we re-sign Hughes and go hard after Iupati and Charles Clay and then bring in Blaine Gabbert and/or Colt McCoy might be wiser investments.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Sanchez would alienate fans too much, I think we re-sign Hughes and go hard after Iupati and Charles Clay and then bring in Blaine Gabbert and/or Colt McCoy might be wiser investments.I wouldn't like a Sanchez signing either, but he has a history with Rexy. I'm with you on other options, but like I said, it wouldn't surprise.

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 07:35 PM
Hughes is gone either way. The difference between Manning and Orton would make us legit contenders. He'd probably end up choking in the playoffs again but it's more than worth the shot considering it's been 16 years since we've even sniffed the playoffs.

It doesn't really matter though because there's 0.01% chance Manning is on this roster next year. He was bad down the stretch this year but he still threw 39 TDs... you can't tell me the difference between Manning and Orton/EJ isn't the 1-2 games needed to push us into a playoff spot though. I'd take him in a heartbeat. We're not exactly in the position to be picky.

I don't think Peyton wants to tarnish his image and go to another team, he's either a Bronco next year or hangs them up.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:38 PM
If it WAS possible, Manning in a Bills' uniform would remind me of Unitas in a Charger uni or Namath in a Rams.

YardRat
01-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Manning has looked bad for the last two months, it's time for him to hang it up. Brady does so much dinking and dunking he probably will play into his forties. Neither will ever play in a Buffalo uniform. For anybody who has only just latched onto the NFL during their careers or even shortly before, just be aware...it'll be a long time before you see two QB's of their ability in the league at the same time for so long again.

The Jokeman
01-11-2015, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't like a Sanchez signing either, but he has a history with Rexy. I'm with you on other options, but like I said, it wouldn't surprise.

I can't see us giving up on Manuel completely and in signing Sanchez we do. That's why I brought up McCoy and Gabbert's names as they have ties to our expected OC but also not major threats to Manuel but at the same time could beat him in a true QB competition in the preseason and/or guys that are safe backups that could serve as inbetween guys if we end up drafting a QB.

pmoon6
01-11-2015, 07:41 PM
I can't see us giving up on Manuel completely and in signing Sanchez we do. That's why I brought up McCoy and Gabbert's names as they have ties to our expected OC but also not major threats to Manuel but at the same time could beat him in a true QB competition in the preseason and/or guys that are safe backups that could serve as inbetween guys if we end up drafting a QB.Good points.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I'm pretty sure a vet QB will be brought in. Who? I don't know. The upshot will be Bradford/RG III.

coastal
01-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Brady has lost his long ball accuracy as well.

Without Gronk's reemergence as a dominant force, those shouts from the beginning of the year would have continued and BB would have turned on him in a Boston minute.

TacklingDummy
01-11-2015, 09:45 PM
It's the playoffs, he usually always does look bad.

Meathead
01-11-2015, 10:04 PM
why is bringing in sanchez (or one of the other handful of baseline veteran qbs) giving up on ej?

even if you want to give ej the maximum chance possible, hes going to be no better than one in five of becoming your long term starter. so you add some insurance to the qb competition, which of course comes in the form of a baseline veteran. youre just saying if all else fails i want to have a minimum level of production and i can get that from sanchez or whomever

ghz in pittsburgh
01-12-2015, 05:41 AM

Some pleasantly plump ladies are warming up on the side of the stage ...

Night Train
01-12-2015, 05:47 AM
He's coming up on 39 and he didn't seem able to throw a ball beyond 20 yards yesterday. All over the place.

Father time may have called.

djjimkelly
01-12-2015, 05:52 AM
Sanchez would alienate fans too much, I think we re-sign Hughes and go hard after Iupati and Charles Clay and then bring in Blaine Gabbert and/or Colt McCoy might be wiser investments.

blaine gabbert totally sucks all the free agents at qb arent that good but i truly think gabbert would be the worst

denverboz
01-12-2015, 07:28 AM
I tend to think Manning was injured sometime around mid season, which accounted for his disastrous second half of the season, like 6 TD's and 9 int's. This after going about 18 TD's and 3 int's in the first 6 games or so. I myself can only attribute that kind of collapse to injury, and not age.

Mr. Miyagi
01-12-2015, 08:33 AM
bring in Blaine Gabbert and/or Colt McCoy might be wiser investments.
:puke:

GvilleBills
01-12-2015, 08:39 AM
In the Colts game, you see he just doesn't have the deep ball accuracy any more. And I believe Brady is only one year younger.

I can believe one day this off season Whaley gets a call from Elway- "Manning is available, your 2nd round pick and next 3 first round picks."

Then Whaley tells Horseface to eat a buffet of dicks, puts the phone down, and laughs his ass off.

I am a Whaley guy, but if he made that trade he should be fired yesterday.

Historian
01-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Manning for EJ and a 6th, lol

TacklingDummy
01-12-2015, 11:00 AM
Id still take a "done" Manning over the next 2 years vs. a "done" Orton or Manuel.

better days
01-12-2015, 11:26 AM
I tend to think Manning was injured sometime around mid season, which accounted for his disastrous second half of the season, like 6 TD's and 9 int's. This after going about 18 TD's and 3 int's in the first 6 games or so. I myself can only attribute that kind of collapse to injury, and not age.

Well, as we age, we don't recover from injuries as fast as when we are young.

djjimkelly
01-12-2015, 11:28 AM
they just said torn right quadriceps for the last month or so

Ed
01-12-2015, 12:56 PM
I think Manning will play out his contract and be the Broncos qb for the next two seasons. How he plays will be another question, but I don't see them giving up on him just to join the ranks of middling teams desperate to find that next franchise qb.

As for Brady, he's said his goal is to play "forever". I wouldn't be surprised at all if he plays well into his 40's. I've heard that he takes incredible care of his health and he's definitely not a guy that relies on athleticism. I feel like we're still going to be talking about the eventual decline of Brady 5 years from now. And every year someone will start a thread proclaiming that his decline has finally come and then he'll go on to win the division.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 02:08 PM
they just said torn right quadriceps for the last month or so

Yep.

Manning has a torn rectus femoris, one of the four muscles that make up the quadriceps. The affected muscle runs from the pelvis to its attachment just below the knee. The bruising from the injury was so severe, it had spread to the back of his leg, a source with knowledge of the injury told ESPN.

Broncos doctors knew about the injury, and Manning did what he could to intentionally conceal the injury from as many people as possible, sources said. Manning had been listed on each of Denver's injury reports following the Dec. 14 game as having an injured thigh. Listing the severity on the report is not required.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12154238/peyton-manning-denver-broncos-played-torn-right-quad-last-month-season

Wonder why the Broncos kept throwing long balls yesterday if this was the case. May have made matters worse. and guys were dropping the short, easy ones routinely. But, my God, he did look terrible. The Broncos defense were leaving receivers unbelievably WIDE open all day, too. Hope the Colts can beat the Pats next week.

Also, for the people that want claim that this injury explains the Bills' success against Manning this year, the injury didn't apparently occur until the Chargers game, which was the week AFTER the Bills played the Broncos.

Bill Cody
01-12-2015, 02:30 PM

and you are correct!

Mr. Pink
01-12-2015, 02:35 PM
Dude played on a torn quad for the last month and people think he's done?

:rofl:

I dunno about you but if I had a torn quad I probably wouldn't be walking much on it let alone playing football.

jamze132
01-12-2015, 03:37 PM
You folks are killing me.

Isn't a coincidence that Manning's last few games which weren't that great coincide with his quad injury? Don't you think that may have thrown his mechanics off a bit which would have effected the long ball?

denverboz
01-12-2015, 03:41 PM
and you are correct!

Yeah I know, saw the article on espn about an hour after I posted. I knew it had to be something like that, Peytons just too good to collapse like he did in the second half of the season and than yesterday. Than again a healthy Peyton got creamed in last year's Super Bowl.
He's still one of the best.

But seeing as how he wouldn't give a straight answer yesterday when asked if he'd be returning, I gotta wonder how serious his injury is.

pmoon6
01-12-2015, 04:28 PM
Peyton Manning choked again and so did the whole Broncos team. John Fox is a joke.

I'm still laughing at all the money Elway spent on the defense to win this year. A lesson played out over and over, especially in Washington. Now he has to try to keep 8 free agents.

Love the Broncos and Peyton fail, now hopefully the Colts can kick some Brady ass as well.

Over protected little girls, the both of them.

feldspar
01-12-2015, 05:12 PM
Peyton Manning choked again and so did the whole Broncos team. John Fox is a joke.

I'm still laughing at all the money Elway spent on the defense to win this year. A lesson played out over and over, especially in Washington. Now he has to try to keep 8 free agents.

Love the Broncos and Peyton fail, now hopefully the Colts can kick some Brady ass as well.

Over protected little girls, the both of them.

You must be very popular there in Colorado.

Generalissimus Gibby
01-12-2015, 05:42 PM
Lemme know when Manning stinks it up all regular season long. He has a vexing career long problem with going from stud to dud in January. Also, his ribs were ****ed up and his line was not what it once was. He and Brady are both going down, but really unless Manning himself feels its time to hang up the the cleats, I am not going to rule him finished until he has a Rich Gannon 2003 style season. If anything Denver lost because they did not build around the fact that his talents are slowly declining. They have a couple great backs and when they ran them effectively well go figure the Donkeys won. When they decided Manning was 10 years younger than he is they had serious trouble. The crown is slowly passing on him and Brady, but Brady has one thing Manning does not and never has enjoyed. . . . a very good coach in Bill Bellichick*

* What doubly sucks about Bellichick is that he and Brady are good enough to win without cheating.

- - - Updated - - -

You must be very popular there in Colorado.

Why do you think there are talks of parts of that state breaking off?

Strongman
01-12-2015, 06:33 PM
I think Peyton can still be very effective if he's on a team with a strong defense and dominate run game where he's only asked to throw 20-30 times a game. He'd be the perfect stop gap QB for us. Brady relies more on the dink and dunk game so I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a lot longer. Actually, I see Brady hanging it up mentally before his body gives out.

That said, I'd love to get Peyton, but I just don't see it happening.