PDA

View Full Version : Post game musings

X-Era
09-28-2015, 04:42 AM
This team is impressing:

Tyrod looks very good. But, I can't help but wonder if we run into one good to great year from him. Bledsoe, Holcomb, Fitz... long list of one year wonders for us. I'm worried he'll want a contract after this year if we make it into the playoffs. We'd have to feel confident that he can be an every year playoff guy. I'd rather wait another year before extending him to a big deal. But, man he looks good.
Great signings by Whaley. Incognito is a beast. Clay was the nasty weapon we've been waiting for since Metz.
Roman has the Offense potent. They can score through the air and are carving up yards in the run game.
The Defense needs to get sacks. This game was the worst I've seen in a long time as far as holding calls goes. There was terrible holding on every damn Miami snap. They were taking guys down every play.
What a draft class...

Darby looks great so far. I like his play better than Gilmore's lately
Miller is a very good looking G
Karlos Williams... I mean seriously

I'm not ready to call this a playoff team just yet. We have to string the wins together. No drop off's. Beat teams we can beat. Win at home. Steal games on the road. Survive injuries without a significant drop off.

Dozerdog
09-28-2015, 04:44 AM
Karlos Miller?

YardRat
09-28-2015, 04:52 AM
I'm waiting to see how Tyrod performs late in the year, when everybody has a full book on him to work from.
Gilmore is getting close to lock down status, hope he stays healthy. I don't know what switch was pulled on Darby in between the preseason and regular but I like it, he's playing really well.

DraftBoy
09-28-2015, 05:19 AM
I'm waiting to see how Tyrod performs late in the year, when everybody has a full book on him to work from.
Gilmore is getting close to lock down status, hope he stays healthy. I don't know what switch was pulled on Darby in between the preseason and regular but I like it, he's playing really well.

Gotta give Donnie Henderson all the credit in the world. It's like night and day with how Darby looks now.

Topas
09-28-2015, 05:20 AM
Karlos Miller?

Fire Whaley right now. He spent two draft picks on Karlos Miller, a 2nd and a 5th round pick. And which team would be willing to give up 2 draft picks for this guy? Whaley sucks !!!

DraftBoy
09-28-2015, 05:23 AM
Also think you overlooked the signing of Percy Harvin who has become a machine for Tyrod.

Topas
09-28-2015, 05:23 AM
This team is impressing:

Tyrod looks very good. But, I can't help but wonder if we run into one good to great year from him. Bledsoe, Holcomb, Fitz... long list of one year wonders for us. I'm worried he'll want a contract after this year if we make it into the playoffs. We'd have to feel confident that he can be an every year playoff guy. I'd rather wait another year before extending him to a big deal. But, man he looks good.
Great signings by Whaley. Incognito is a beast. Clay was the nasty weapon we've been waiting for since Metz.
Roman has the Offense potent. They can score through the air and are carving up yards in the run game.
The Defense needs to get sacks. This game was the worst I've seen in a long time as far as holding calls goes. There was terrible holding on every damn Miami snap. They were taking guys down every play.
What a draft class...

Karlos Miller... I mean seriously

I'm not ready to call this a playoff team just yet. We have to string the wins together. No drop off's. Beat teams we can beat. Win at home. Steal games on the road. Survive injuries without a significant drop off.

With regard to 1.: I think his contract is voided if he starts more than half the season. So we will most probably not have the option of signing him only after next year.

And I am not sure Darby is better than Gilmore. Darby is targeted very often and has quite a few completions. Gilmore seems only targeted very rarely and most often breaks the pass up. At least as far as I remember. But that being said, Darby was a great draft pick.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2015, 06:17 AM
With regard to 1.: I think his contract is voided if he starts more than half the season. So we will most probably not have the option of signing him only after next year.

His 2017 year voids in that case, not 2016. He's signed through next year regardless.

Topas
09-28-2015, 06:33 AM
Ok, thanks, Illuminati for the info. I am happy to be wrong there. Him being a UFA already after this season would have sucked.

OpIv37
09-28-2015, 07:10 AM
His 2017 year voids in that case, not 2016. He's signed through next year regardless.

Still a scary thought. What if Tyrod keeps playing like this and we have to give him up after two seasons? Or completely demolish the D to fit him under the cap?

It's looking like Pegula bought us a two year window. That's not necessarily a bad thing- you build the best team you can by drafting well, then when the team is on the brink, buy the missing pieces in FA and hope it works out. It's really the only way to do it in the salary cap era. I just worry that the foundation wasn't quite there yet when Pegula went for broke.

casdhf
09-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Still a scary thought. What if Tyrod keeps playing like this and we have to give him up after two seasons? Or completely demolish the D to fit him under the cap?

It's looking like Pegula bought us a two year window. That's not necessarily a bad thing- you build the best team you can by drafting well, then when the team is on the brink, buy the missing pieces in FA and hope it works out. It's really the only way to do it in the salary cap era. I just worry that the foundation wasn't quite there yet when Pegula went for broke. If Tyrod keeps playing like he did yesterday, the foundation will be there and going for broke was the right move. You should enjoy the ride for once. The team looks good.

Saratoga Slim
09-28-2015, 07:46 AM

It's looking like Pegula bought us a two year window. That's not necessarily a bad thing- you build the best team you can by drafting well, then when the team is on the brink, buy the missing pieces in FA and hope it works out. It's really the only way to do it in the salary cap era. I just worry that the foundation wasn't quite there yet when Pegula went for broke.

I was thinking that in the second half yesterday. The reason Whalay's cap works right now is that we are paying the most expensive position on the field peanuts. I mean literally, our kicker makes three times as much as our starting QB. Link. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/)

If Taylor plays like this all season, he's going to want a top-10 QB salary. Whether that comes in 2017, or perhaps earlier if his agent pushes a holdout next summer, something's gotta give. Maybe Mario restructures his contract and clears some cap, maybe the cap rises and creates space....but we also have Bradham, Gilmore and Glenn coming up too.

Tyrod is getting $883K this year, and Manuel makes $2.4M.

gebobs
09-28-2015, 08:04 AM

If Taylor leads us to a winning record this year, the Bills will offer to extend. The offer will probably be very good and he'd be a fool to turn it down. IMHO, Taylor's success thus far, limited though that it is, is 90% system. It would not necessarily translate to another offense.

djjimkelly
09-28-2015, 08:04 AM
ITS MILLER TME!

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Tyrod Taylor turning into a franchise QB we need to pay is a good problem. The kind of problem we've been begging for.

In any event, you can re-make your roster and cap dramatically in two offseasons. Mario, Wood, and Kyle will be primed for restructures in 2017 if necessary, presumably McKelvin will be gone or on a reduced deal with Darby in his spot, and EJ Manuel would presumably leave.

Novacane
09-28-2015, 08:17 AM
He's played 3 games. Can we please just wait and see what happens. Some moron just called into Coach Sal and said we need to extend TT right now at 4 yr 60mill. My gosh people are stupid!

gebobs
09-28-2015, 08:19 AM
He's played 3 games. Can we please just wait and see what happens. Some moron just called into Coach Sal and said we need to extend TT right now at 4 yr 60mill. My gosh people are stupid!

*cough* Fitz *cough*

IlluminatusUIUC
09-28-2015, 08:22 AM

I agree, it would be extremely premature to start talking contract.

Topas
09-28-2015, 08:28 AM
I agree that we have to wait to extend TT. But the Fitz comparison does not work in my book. Fitz has proved in many games that he is a mediocre QB. The likelihood that he becomes Gannon and suddenly the lights go on where very marginal.

While TT does not have that many data that shows he is mediocre. His chance of being good are now much higher than Fitz's back then. The Ravens raved about him and he has delivered in next to every game he started. Including pre-season there are quite a few data points. He looked lost vs the Pats in the first half, but that also happened to Peyton even in his prime. And TT fought back against the Pats.

Not saying tzo extend him now, but his ceiling is so much higher that Fitz's and the arrow of his performance is pointing strongly upwards. If he keeps playing that way all year I am fine with throwing money at him, even if he still could be a one year wonder (*cough* Kaepernick *cough*)

Saratoga Slim
09-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Tyrod Taylor turning into a franchise QB we need to pay is a good problem. The kind of problem we've been begging for.

In any event, you can re-make your roster and cap dramatically in two offseasons. Mario, Wood, and Kyle will be primed for restructures in 2017 if necessary, presumably McKelvin will be gone or on a reduced deal with Darby in his spot, and EJ Manuel would presumably leave.

LOL, you're right of course.

psubills62
09-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Pretty much this.

When you're building a team, if you're drafting well, you'll need to let some guys go because you simply can't afford to keep everyone. But that's OK, because if you're doing it right, you should be signing a key core of players. Usually about 8-10 guys who are very good at their position. It requires trusting your ability to draft to fill in around them, but if you draft well, then you should be set. And IMO, Whaley has shown he can draft well - not perfectly, but well.

In this case, if you find a franchise QB, he's always going to be a part of that core, and you make room.

Buddo
09-28-2015, 08:41 AM
Gotta give Donnie Henderson all the credit in the world. It's like night and day with how Darby looks now.

I think both Ryan and Thurman deserve credit too. I believe they left Darby on his own in pre-season, to show him what he needed to do to become good, and the kid has responded admirably. I'd also say that they told him what they were going to do, and to not get too down about it, because half the time he was going to get torched.

Ingtar33
09-28-2015, 08:50 AM
This team is impressing:

What a draft class...

Karlos Miller... I mean seriously

1) i'm pretty sure that t-mobile has a 3 year contract with a player option to opt out after 2. If he takes us to the playoffs this year we'll have to extend him this upcoming offseason, as waiting till the end of next season will give him the option to go into FA. I like your thought, and if Taylor had a true 3 year contract your stance would be correct. unfortunately when we signed Taylor, taylor wanted to be an nfl QB, and as such got a contract favorable to his career in the search to become a starting QB in the nfl. At this point we gotta cross our fingers and pray that he doesn't play himself into the probowl (while maintaining his current level of play), cause if he does he'll be signing a 80-100mil extension this upcoming offseason.
2) That was the best game i've seen incognito play in a bills uniform. after last week i was worried, since he was just as bad as the rest of the line. Looks like they're straightening out the issues with the o-line
3) yep, part of that is QB play, part of that is some of the outstanding talent we have across the offense, and part of that is Roman. Overall i've been very happy with the offense.
4) I can live without sacks when you get the type of pressure we're getting. We were up in Tannehill's grill all game, and forced him into some really bad INTs
5) Darby made such a negative impact on me in Preseason, i'm having trouble letting that go, that said he's been outstanding thus far, and could turn out to be the steal of the 2015 draft. Miller has been up and down, i'll give him the year before deciding on this one, but thumbs up to the FO for taking a guard good enough to start right away, and Williams (I think you means karlos williams) has been a beast. Great late round steal. Definitely a good haul this year.

I was ready to call them a playoff team prior to this season starting and i got to see Taylor in regular season action. i'm sticking with that prediction. We're gonna get an 11-5 season out of this crew

gebobs
09-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Regarding that Williams TD, aside from the nice pulling block by Incognito, MarQueis Gray took Suh out nicely.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-28-2015, 09:02 AM
Who's this suh person you speak of?

MikeInRoch
09-28-2015, 09:19 AM
He's that guy that probably would have been stepping on our QB while he was on the ground - you know, if our QB actually was on the ground near him at any point.

YardRat
09-28-2015, 01:00 PM
That was another pleasant surprise...how well Miller and Wood were handling Suh in the early going.

justasportsfan
09-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Tyron, Incognito, Harvin , and a few others will want a new contract next year. I would want Whaley to work on Incognitos contract now while he can be had cheap. If he keeps playing like that all year round, he'll be expensive.

Harvin may command more than the 4 million we're paying no? :idunno: If he walks, maybe Goodwin can step up under Roman.

USC_Gamecock
09-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Enjoy this season fellas ...

I don't think Greg Roman is our OC next year -- some one will hire him on as a HC, somewhere ...

Bill Cody
09-28-2015, 02:08 PM
We haven't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years and you guys are worried about future cap issues? Take the blue pill and relax.

imbondz
09-28-2015, 02:26 PM
We haven't sniffed the playoffs in 15 years and you guys are worried about future cap issues? Take the blue pill and relax.

lol

k-oneputt
09-28-2015, 02:55 PM

I don't think Greg Roman is our OC next year -- some one will hire him on as a HC, somewhere ...

Dolphins ?????

Oaf
09-29-2015, 12:10 AM
Playoff appearance before anyone gets an extension.

X-Era
09-30-2015, 06:00 PM

I don't think Greg Roman is our OC next year -- some one will hire him on as a HC, somewhere ...Unfortunate and likely.

Thats the way the NFL works.