PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan: Marcus Mariota won't have his way against Bills

Bill Cody
10-08-2015, 09:51 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21353/rex-ryan-marcus-mariota-wont-have-his-way-against-bills

It's week 5 and I'm already getting tired of Rex's act

Historian
10-08-2015, 09:53 AM
While I admire the confidence he has in his team, this is the **** that always comes back to bite you.

gebobs
10-08-2015, 09:53 AM
I almost hope he throttles us for that comment.

stuckincincy
10-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Eh - normal NFL blather.

TacklingDummy
10-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Rex STFU

Mahdi
10-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Did you guys even listen to the whole PC?

He didn't just come out and say that... He was asked if he was worried that Marcus Mariota would have his way with the Bills D in light of their inconsistent play and he said that Mariota would not have his way with us.

That's it.

PFT is always waiting for Rex quotes and then single them out without any context.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2015, 11:32 AM

He didn't just come out and say that... He was asked if he was worried that Marcus Mariota would have his way with the Bills D in light of their inconsistent play and he said that Mariota would not have his way with us.

That's it.

PFT is always waiting for Rex quotes and then single them out without any context.

Sports reporters make their living on this. The normal cliched crap is boring, so they have to spend their time baiting players and coaches into saying something provocative. Rex is one of the only ones who takes the bait.

swiper
10-08-2015, 11:35 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/21353/rex-ryan-marcus-mariota-wont-have-his-way-against-bills

It's week 5 and I'm already getting tired of Rex's act

I'm telling you. I saw it weekly for 6 years in the NY media. NY Jet fans are not bemoaning his departure one bit.

You have to remember that he's Buddy Ryan's kid. Buddy Ryan was one of the biggest blowhard pos's in the league. You cannot, and will not, get Rex to shut up.

DraftBoy
10-08-2015, 11:39 AM

That's it.

And what he should of said was that Mariota has been very good thus far and that the defense will need to come into the game ready to attack and confuse the young QB. Then adding that while Mariota has been good, he has nothing but the utmost confidence in his defense and the scheme they will be rolling out on Sunday as a way to stop him.

sukie
10-08-2015, 11:55 AM
I like how everyone pisses amd moans Ryan's outbursts... I find them refreshing after enduring Jauron, Mularkey, Maroon boring ass press conferences and interviews. What do you all want? Nice guy HC's again and again?n

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2015, 11:56 AM
I like how everyone pisses amd moans Ryan's outbursts... I find them refreshing after enduring Jauron, Mularkey, Maroon boring ass press conferences and interviews. What do you all want? Nice guy HC's again and again?n

I don't mind interesting press conferences, I'm sick of that lack of discipline playing out on the field. He's already earned one bench penalty and nearly got another.

sukie
10-08-2015, 11:58 AM
His blathering pre game has zero to do with game discipline. two sep issues.

Mr. Pink
10-08-2015, 12:00 PM
Does Rex, with his big mouth and lack of team discipline, coach this team next year if they finish under .500?

I'm beginning to wonder.

HAMMER
10-08-2015, 12:00 PM

He's a blowhard career sub .500 coach, he should be more professional and keep his mouth shut.

Given his career losing record he doesn't have a leg to stand on. There is a reason other coaches don't mouth off.

stuckincincy
10-08-2015, 12:01 PM
And what he should of said was that Mariota has been very good thus far and that the defense will need to come into the game ready to attack and confuse the young QB. Then adding that while Mariota has been good, he has nothing but the utmost confidence in his defense and the scheme they will be rolling out on Sunday as a way to stop him.

Exactly - if he felt the need to make any comment at all.... :popcorn:

gebobs
10-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Just win, baby. We could have Calvin Coolidge as coach and it wouldn't bother me if it meant playoffs.

sukie
10-08-2015, 12:06 PM
Just win, baby. We could have Calvin Coolidge as coach and it wouldn't bother me if it meant playoffs.

Not disagreeing but no fire or emotion sucks if NOT winning. Jauron had one expression. Eyes open coma. Philbin was also cursed with the "Good Guy" syndrome. Who was the last good guy coach without fire or emotion that was successful? Dungy? That outlier required years and years to finally win with Peyton.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-08-2015, 12:06 PM

His blathering before the game is clearly continuing into the game. We've had more personal fouls for language and behavior then I've ever seen before, and it's week 5!

stuckincincy
10-08-2015, 12:09 PM
I don't mind interesting press conferences, I'm sick of that lack of discipline playing out on the field. He's already earned one bench penalty and nearly got another.

I always thought Chuckie's pressers were entertaining. Old-time coach John McKay's comment when asked about his Tampa Bay teams' execution, saying "I'm in favor of it" was a hoot. :comedy:

gebobs
10-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Not disagreeing but no fire or emotion sucks if NOT winning. Jauron had one expression. Eyes open coma. Philbin was also cursed with the "Good Guy" syndrome. Who was the last good guy coach without fire or emotion that was successful? Dungy? That outlier required years and years to finally win with Peyton.
You know who would bore you to hell compared to Sexy Rexy? Chuck Noll, Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, Paul Brown, Joe Gibbs, Hank Stram, and Don Shula. :-)

sukie
10-08-2015, 12:43 PM
All of those guys were animated on the sidelines far more than the recent Bill's coaches. I don't remeber Bill Walsh however. Noll was a screamer and Shula wasn't mild mannered at all with players especially early on in his career. Once he reached legendary status his rep took care of business.

gebobs
10-08-2015, 12:45 PM
You're missing the point.

I don't give a flying fart about Ryan and what he says. He sucks. He sucks huge monster albino chimpanzee balls.

sukie
10-08-2015, 12:54 PM

I don't give a flying fart about Ryan and what he says. He sucks. He sucks huge monster albino chimpanzee balls.

So are you saying you don't care for him as coach? I'm trying to read between the lines here.

Mahdi
10-08-2015, 01:02 PM

I actually agree that he could have said something like that instead.

But its not like he came out and said that comment out of the blue. At the end of the day, Rex will be Rex. He's not going to be like Belichick ever.

gebobs
10-08-2015, 01:07 PM
So are you saying you don't care for him as coach? I'm trying to read between the lines here.

HAHA...gotcha He's a definitive blowhard. Lot of bluster and no substance as a coach. How he got this reputation some seem to have for him is beyond me.

tomz
10-08-2015, 01:15 PM
As was asked, did you actually see this? He said all of what you suggest and then kinda mumbled that no, the kid wouldn't have his way. They were comparing him to Brady and Eli. No bluster, just a comment that was low key.

starrymessenger
10-08-2015, 01:17 PM
I don't think this is a case of Rex flying off the handle. Not a big deal.
Now saying our D is going to be the best ever always seemed to me to be over the top. I tend to doubt that he believed it himself so I have to assume he thought it had some kind of motivational value.
As for Mariota, it looks to me that he's going to be very good and indeed he might just be good enuf this Sunday given that Tyrod has to negotiate a Dick Lebeau defence without his main weapons. But he's not good quite yet. At least Rex didn't reference his 51.7 QBR and the sacks.

Bill Cody
10-08-2015, 02:04 PM
Not disagreeing but no fire or emotion sucks if NOT winning.

How does annoying bluster and bravado grab you if NOT winning? Pretty awesome? YEAH let's win the presser! Woohoo!

Rex BETTER win. I can endure all kinds of stupid **** if we're getting W's. If not? I say bring the tent down on the circus. But I am not going to keep harping on this going forward. I'm just saying it costs nothing to respect your opponent and it's smart to do it, why give the opponent a free edge? Its dumb. Like 17 penalties in a game is dumb. The team follows the lead of the coach.

Bill Cody
10-08-2015, 02:07 PM

I knew about the feet thing, didn't know about the albino thing

trapezeus
10-08-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm telling you. I saw it weekly for 6 years in the NY media. NY Jet fans are not bemoaning his departure one bit.

You have to remember that he's Buddy Ryan's kid. Buddy Ryan was one of the biggest blowhard pos's in the league. You cannot, and will not, get Rex to shut up.

not true at all. while the jets are doing ok now, they loved his style. and more jet fans came up to me when we got rex and said, "he was a good coach and got run out of here. he can do better and will"

i'm fine with him saying what he wants. and the same people who are so upset about this are the same ones who will be loving it if they win 2 or 3 games in a row. "it shows our confidence. we need that swagger."

who cares. its a thursday presser. and 9-10 times his crazy quotes are not that ridiculous when put in context.

gebobs
10-08-2015, 02:25 PM
not true at all. while the jets are doing ok now, they loved his style. and more jet fans came up to me when we got rex and said, "he was a good coach and got run out of here. he can do better and will"
And then laughed after you left the room.

trapezeus
10-08-2015, 03:12 PM
at .500, i don't get how people are leaving the rex bandwagon now. the team played perhaps the worst allround game you could last week and they were still in that game.
yes its on the coach to get that under control and yes its absurd they let it be an issue after already having a really poor outing. but the talent is there. and in the wins, they've delivered big.

it's probably time to be adults about the whole thing and just wait and see how the team looks by week 8.

YardRat
10-08-2015, 04:55 PM
It doesn't matter how comments are made, or in what context...it matters how they are represented, and then perceived. Somebody who spent the last six years as a head coach in NY should know that better than anybody.

Everybody knew Rex can talk the talk, with the talent this team had last year and off-season additions it's too bad the front office wasn't more intent on hiring somebody who could actually walk the walk.

Mace
10-08-2015, 04:57 PM
I liked what Jason Garrett said to Greg Hardy after Hardy did some talking.

We just addressed it immediately. That's not how we want to operate as an organization," Garrett said. "Players and coaches in our organization understand that. We want to distinguish ourselves with our play, not with what we say. We want to define ourselves with what we do not by what we say.

Sure wish we had that going on.

DraftBoy
10-08-2015, 05:56 PM
I actually agree that he could have said something like that instead.

But its not like he came out and said that comment out of the blue. At the end of the day, Rex will be Rex. He's not going to be like Belichick ever.

And he gets the media coverage he deserves for being the way he is.

DraftBoy
10-08-2015, 05:57 PM
As was asked, did you actually see this? He said all of what you suggest and then kinda mumbled that no, the kid wouldn't have his way. They were comparing him to Brady and Eli. No bluster, just a comment that was low key.

And the slight jab is why he gets the coverage he gets. He literally can't stop himself.

Why even bother to give Mariota the material to try and prove him wrong? There is nothing for us to gain from Ryan's comment, but it sure as hell can give Mariota motivation.

swiper
10-08-2015, 06:03 PM

No they're not. He's the captain of the ship. And when you have a blathering idiot as the captain of the ship, then you're going to have the problems you're seeing.

swiper
10-08-2015, 06:05 PM

i'm fine with him saying what he wants. and the same people who are so upset about this are the same ones who will be loving it if they win 2 or 3 games in a row. "it shows our confidence. we need that swagger."

who cares. its a thursday presser. and 9-10 times his crazy quotes are not that ridiculous when put in context.

No you're wrong. They were still talking about how tired they were of Rex's circus last week on the radio. And you're mixing up swagger with stupidity. Ryan is the latter.

gebobs
10-08-2015, 08:44 PM
at .500, i don't get how people are leaving the rex bandwagon
For the record, I was never on it.

sukie
10-09-2015, 06:14 AM
No they're not. He's the captain of the ship. And when you have a blathering idiot as the captain of the ship, then you're going to have the problems you're seeing.

Stop it... Rex mid week boasting and trash talking makes Jerry Hughes jump into the neutral zone?

Mahdi
10-09-2015, 07:36 AM
And he gets the media coverage he deserves for being the way he is.

Fair enough, but the quote was still taken out of context. If they want to quote him they need to give the context as well.

Forward_Lateral
10-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Time for the Bills D to put up or shut up. Stop running your gums and do something. I'm getting tired of this already.

Bill Cody
10-09-2015, 08:13 AM
Stop it... Rex mid week boasting and trash talking makes Jerry Hughes jump into the neutral zone?

Do you think disciplined people are disciplined SOME of the time? It doesn't work that way. The coach sets a tone with a million little things to send the message that little things produce big results. When your HC is a loose cannon it ends the opposite message. Rex has some strengths. But it's looking more and more that he can't change his weaknesses.

Forward_Lateral
10-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Do you think disciplined people are disciplined SOME of the time? It doesn't work that way. The coach sets a tone with a million little things to send the message that little things produce big results. When your HC is a loose cannon it ends the opposite message. Rex has some strengths. But it's looking more and more that he can't change his weaknesses.

His biggest mistake, IMO, was letting Schwartz walk. Should've gave him full control of the D like a good head coach would do.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-09-2015, 09:01 AM
His biggest mistake, IMO, was letting Schwartz walk. Should've gave him full control of the D like a good head coach would do.

Yeah, I wish Rex would just step back and just be a head coach. Schwartz D was very sucessful and I think Rex could have made it better with his defensive mind. But I can understand why Schwartz didnt want to stay, probably knew he wouldnt be able to really do what he wanted to do.

sukie
10-09-2015, 09:07 AM

Gronk is pretty undisciplined everyday except Sunday.

what a coach says away from his players on a Wednesday doesn't cause pass interference on Sunday. It doesn't cause a holding call.

What was the cause of ANY penalties on a Tony Dungy Colts team then?

So yes I believe it is very common that someone is very disciplined at there PROFESSIONAL job regardless of what goes on when they clock out.

gebobs
10-09-2015, 09:38 AM

what a coach says away from his players on a Wednesday doesn't cause pass interference on Sunday. It doesn't cause a holding call.

So yes I believe it is very common that someone is very disciplined at there PROFESSIONAL job regardless of what goes on when they clock out.

Are you saying coaches cannot instill discipline? As a former coach, I heartily disagree. Every year, I would get at least some new players. They would complain to the refs and take bad penalties. Generally, nothing would have to be said. The guys that played under me the previous year would set them straight. Don't agree with a call? Tough. Keep your mouth shut. Someone get under your skin? Take it out on him with play after the puck gets dropped.

Any kid that didn't get that message was sure sorry he did when he sat down with me. You get suited up for the games. You feed pucks for warmups. You pick them up afterward while I'm talking to the rest of the team before the game. After the game, you collect and wash the water bottles. In between, you ride the pine and keep silent.

There would be some guys on the Bills that would be getting that treatment from me.

sukie
10-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Are you saying coaches cannot instill discipline? As a former coach, I heartily disagree. Every year, I would get at least some new players. They would complain to the refs and take bad penalties. Generally, nothing would have to be said. The guys that played under me the previous year would set them straight. Don't agree with a call? Tough. Keep your mouth shut. Someone get under your skin? Take it out on him with play after the puck gets dropped.

Any kid that didn't get that message was sure sorry he did when he sat down with me. You get suited up for the games. You feed pucks for warmups. You pick them up afterward while I'm talking to the rest of the team before the game. After the game, you collect and wash the water bottles. In between, you ride the pine and keep silent.

There would be some guys on the Bills that would be getting that treatment from me.

I am not saying that at all but comments to a reporter on a tuesday don't cause undiscipline. Rex's coaching DUTY to to get a team ready to win and make sure they do not beat themselves. That happens in practice but mostly happens on Sunday. Rex blathering mid week doesn't make players do boneheaded things on Sundays. They are professionals. Team leaders need to chime in on the discipline aspect as well.

Bill Cody
10-09-2015, 10:30 AM

This post makes no sense. Are you saying Rex talking with the media is not part of his professional job? Because it is.

And Gronk is very disciplined every day, VERY hard worker. Bellichick has his players trained to talk to the press, they never disrespect an opponent. Did you forget that's what we're talking about?

Mr. Pink
10-09-2015, 10:33 AM
This post makes no sense. Are you saying Rex talking with the media is not part of his professional job? Because it is.

And Gronk is very disciplined every day, VERY hard worker. Bellichick has his players trained to talk to the press, they never disrespect an opponent. Did you forget that's what we're talking about?

Not to mention the Pats have taken in league wide perceived problem childs and they somehow behave there...Randy Moss and Corey Dillon as two examples.

justasportsfan
10-09-2015, 10:43 AM
As much as I hate Bellicheat, I like how he keeps giving props even to guys like Kelsay ,etc in the past.

Even if they sucked and you keep telling yourself they are good, you just might believe it and don't take anyone for granted.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Not to mention the Pats have taken in league wide perceived problem childs and they somehow behave there...Randy Moss and Corey Dillon as two examples.

Although Spikes, Ochocinco, Meriweather. Hernandez, etc did not.

He just cuts ties with them if they act out (like Moss, for example), and so far Rex hasn't brought down the punishments on the players who have been out of line.

sukie
10-09-2015, 10:48 AM

Gronk is a party animal. Disciplined at his workplace... yes. Outside of work... he's a crazy dude.

I am not saying Rex's job does NOT include talking to the media. He has to be media accessible. What I am saying is what he tells the press doesn't lead to undisciplined play. THAT falls on his coaching duties and the duties of each individual professional athlete. If you wanna blame the bills leading the league in flags because rex told someone he wants to build a bully or Mariotta is NOT gonna have a field day... I would love to see the line of reasoning behind it. It cannot be a straight line.

Bill Cody
10-09-2015, 11:21 AM
Gronk is a party animal. Disciplined at his workplace... yes. Outside of work... he's a crazy dude.

I am not saying Rex's job does NOT include talking to the media. He has to be media accessible. What I am saying is what he tells the press doesn't lead to undisciplined play. THAT falls on his coaching duties and the duties of each individual professional athlete. If you wanna blame the bills leading the league in flags because rex told someone he wants to build a bully or Mariotta is NOT gonna have a field day... I would love to see the line of reasoning behind it. It cannot be a straight line.

At work is all I care about, all Bellichick cares about. Look we don't need to debate facts. Rex was Bluto leading Animal House with the Jets. His teams played hard but he ran a loose ship. The loose ship and Rex's loose lips cost him his job. End of story. One remark at a presser isn't the problem. It's a culture of inaccountability that leads to failure. My take is players watch Rex say whatever damn fool comment that comes to his mind and think "Let me follow my HC's example. I just want to express myself as a player". In football, that = chaos

sukie
10-09-2015, 12:06 PM
At work is all I care about, all Bellichick cares about. Look we don't need to debate facts. Rex was Bluto leading Animal House with the Jets. His teams played hard but he ran a loose ship. The loose ship and Rex's loose lips cost him his job. End of story. One remark at a presser isn't the problem. It's a culture of inaccountability that leads to failure. My take is players watch Rex say whatever damn fool comment that comes to his mind and think "Let me follow my HC's example. I just want to express myself as a player". In football, that = chaos

That would be very unprofessional. Rex needs to do his on the field job... I agree but to blame players suddenly in their profession to act undisciplined isn't because Rex is a media blowhard.
If fans want to try to find a paper thin excuse... by all means have at it. Players play.

Bill Cody
10-09-2015, 12:24 PM
That would be very unprofessional. Rex needs to do his on the field job... I agree but to blame players suddenly in their profession to act undisciplined isn't because Rex is a media blowhard.
If fans want to try to find a paper thin excuse... by all means have at it. Players play.

My hope when he came here is we'd see Rex 2.0, all the fire but with less of the circus. Looks more like Rex 1.0 so far.

sukie
10-09-2015, 01:51 PM
My hope when he came here is we'd see Rex 2.0, all the fire but with less of the circus. Looks more like Rex 1.0 so far.

I didn't expect to be 2-2 at this point so I'm grateful for that

tomz
10-09-2015, 02:35 PM
And the slight jab is why he gets the coverage he gets. He literally can't stop himself.

Why even bother to give Mariota the material to try and prove him wrong? There is nothing for us to gain from Ryan's comment, but it sure as hell can give Mariota motivation.

Fair comment. Guess he just suffers from a foot-in-mouth thing.:mehmeh:

gebobs
10-11-2015, 06:12 PM
I am not saying that at all but comments to a reporter on a tuesday don't cause undiscipline.
Of course not a lack of discipline is not due to a 15 second comment. It's due to the hours of game film, practice, etc. Rex's demeanor in front of the press is only symptomatic.

Mace
10-11-2015, 07:07 PM
For the record, I'm glad we caught Mariota in his rookie year. The kid looks like he has some stuff going and might really turn into something shiny who makes you nervous.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-12-2015, 10:53 AM
For the record, I'm glad we caught Mariota in his rookie year. The kid looks like he has some stuff going and might really turn into something shiny who makes you nervous.

He does look like the real deal.

trapezeus
10-12-2015, 11:06 AM
if mariota went down and scored the game winner, his career would have been doomed. ala, vince young, jamarcus russel, ryan leaf. they all had good games against the bills in their rookie seasons and then flamed out.

mariota losing was the best thing that could happen to his career. he'll go on to live up to his promise.

psubills62
10-12-2015, 11:57 AM
Heaven forbid a coach doesn't stick to the script that everyone has deemed is acceptable.

I don't necessarily like what Rex said, but what's the point of the press conferences if people over-analyze and make a huge deal out of everything that coaches say that isn't a typical answer?