PDA

View Full Version : Maybe NFL Teams Will Learn From Jim Harbaugh's Punting Mistake

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 08:53 AM
Hypothetical scenario: Bills are winning by 2 points, have the ball on the Bengals 47 yard line with 10 seconds left in the game.

It's 4th and 2.

What's your call?

If you haven't seen the play yet, here it is:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/RBlgN85wB6U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Goobylal
10-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Punter obviously had money on the game. Doesn't mean punting wasn't the best move since that's a one-in-a-thousand outcome.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 09:02 AM
http://i.imgur.com/1Uwfg.gif

YardRat
10-18-2015, 09:05 AM
Punter obviously had money on the game. Doesn't mean punting wasn't the best move since that's a one-in-a-thousand outcome.

It was a great pitch to Jackson, hit him right in stride.

Meathead
10-18-2015, 09:16 AM
punting was the right call. god just has a wicked sense of humor

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 09:20 AM
What's your call?

My call is to punt using a punter that is one of the top 32 in the world and is not using a 'rugby' type punt which forces the punter to catch the snap and start running before kicking it. It's the smart play, no matter what happens in college.

What could possibly be a better option?

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 09:20 AM
I would put my quarterback in shotgun, have him roll out to burn a few seconds and then have him throw the highest arcing pass ever seen on a, "Hail Mary Rainbow," deep to the endzone.

Incomplete, clock expires, Bills win.

Mr. Pink
10-18-2015, 09:23 AM
And how often have you seen that happen?

You want to change what you do based on one rare freak occurrence that you'll likely never see again?

Brilliant!

Goobylal
10-18-2015, 09:27 AM
That punter must be getting death threats by the truckload today.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 09:28 AM
I would put my quarterback in shotgun, have him roll out to burn a few seconds and then have him throw the highest arcing pass ever seen on a, "Hail Mary Rainbow," deep to the endzone.

Incomplete, clock expires, Bills win.

A QB sack is 1,000 times more likely than a fumbled snap on a punt. Especially when the defense is not defending for a hail mary, they're defending for a 4th and 2.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 09:32 AM
A QB sack is 1,000 times more likely than a fumbled snap on a punt. Especially when the defense is not defending for a hail mary, they're defending for a 4th and 2.

If a QB takes the snap and launches the ball as high as possible in less than 2 seconds, he's not getting sacked.

Stack the line, max protect, snap, throw, game over.

Goobylal
10-18-2015, 09:36 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, no?

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 09:42 AM
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, no?

I just think that there are better ways to run 10 seconds off the clock instead of punting.

Putting the ball in to the hands of your punter to win a game is not the right call.

Use the quarterback as the, "punter."

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 09:43 AM
If a QB takes the snap and launches the ball as high as possible in less than 2 seconds, he's not getting sacked.

Stack the line, max protect, snap, throw, game over.

You think a QB can get more than 8 seconds of hang time on a pass?

IlluminatusUIUC
10-18-2015, 09:49 AM
I'm ok with the idea of going for it, but they should in no way be running a pass play. I'd say run some kind of sweep play to the field side to burn as much clock as possible. If he converts, great. Game over. If he doesn't, MSU has one play for a hail mary.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 09:51 AM

6 seconds is the average hang time for a punt.

Can an NFL quarterback's arm match a punter's leg?

More than likely.

Skooby
10-18-2015, 10:01 AM
If you have your QB throw a bomb, the ball has to land and that will eat up 8 seconds easy.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-18-2015, 10:09 AM
If you have your QB throw a bomb, the ball has to land and that will eat up 8 seconds easy.

If he gets sacked (or worse strip-sacked), you could give up a long field goal attempt though. Go for it if you wish, but keep the ball on the ground.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 10:20 AM
6 seconds is the average hang time for a punt.

The average hang time for a punt is 4 seconds..

This idea that you have is pretty awful.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 10:21 AM
If he gets sacked (or worse strip-sacked), you could give up a long field goal attempt though. Go for it if you wish, but keep the ball on the ground.

"Reverse chicken head cut off run on 2, break!"

Hand off goes to Shady, and he starts running in the opposite direction!

With 2 seconds left, Shady gets hit but doesn't go down.

Bills win.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 10:22 AM

I don't think you guys understand how long 8 seconds is.

Watch some youtube clips of long throws and pay attention to the time stamps. The ball is in the air for like 3-4 seconds.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 10:23 AM
The average hang time for a punt is 4 seconds..

This idea that you have is pretty awful.

Punting is awful.

4 seconds is the average this year so far, back in 2012 it was 6 seconds.

http://www.kgbanswers.com/what-is-the-average-hang-time-for-a-punt-in-the-nfl/4753830

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 10:26 AM
I don't think you guys understand how long 8 seconds is.

Watch some youtube clips of long throws and pay attention to the time stamps. The ball is in the air for like 3-4 seconds.

That is because quarterbacks are not trying to purposely arc the ball so high in order to waste time, like this thread.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Punting is awful.

4 seconds is the average this year so far, back in 2012 it was 6 seconds.

http://www.kgbanswers.com/what-is-the-average-hang-time-for-a-punt-in-the-nfl/4753830

Ha, says that one website.

Still doesn't change the fact that no QB can get 8 seconds of hang time on a throw.

Skooby
10-18-2015, 10:29 AM

Still doesn't change the fact that no QB can get 8 seconds of hang time on a throw.

Between hiking the ball, the time in the air and the pass landing it's going to be 8 seconds.

Goobylal
10-18-2015, 10:29 AM
The correct call is...you punt. End of thread.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 10:30 AM
That is because quarterbacks are not trying to purposely arc the ball so high in order to waste time, like this thread.

Right, they should just throw it straight up in the air to maximize the hang time. No risk for a pick doing that though, right?

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Between hiking the ball, the time in the air and the pass landing it's going to be 8 seconds.

Which leaves 2 seconds on the clock for the opposing team who now has the ball at midfield.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 10:31 AM

I agree with that.

I'm thinking of a rollout pass that takes 3 seconds to devolop, and then arching the ball.

I think this all means that the game today is going to be a matter of inches and a single second.

We shall see.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 10:33 AM
Which leaves 2 seconds on the clock for the opposing team who now has the ball at midfield.

I'll take a hail marry attempt over a kickoff or punt return any day.

YardRat
10-18-2015, 10:34 AM
Pooch punt with your QB. The D can't go balls-out to try to block a legit kick, they have to play honest and respect a possible pass and run.

Mr. Pink
10-18-2015, 10:35 AM

I know we're not supposed to attack the poster but attack the post itself, I'll take a slap on the wrist for this post anyway...

BillsImpossible is just a moron. Put this one with the rest of his idiotic threads anytime some stupid idea pops into his head.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 10:35 AM
I agree with that.

I'm thinking of a rollout pass that takes 3 seconds to devolop, and then arching the ball.

I think this all means that the game today is going to be a matter of inches and a single second.

We shall see.

I doubt anyone at the professional level would attempt what you're proposing, but maybe we'll see.

I hope the Bills win by more than a few inches today and this situation won't come up.

Mr. Pink
10-18-2015, 10:38 AM
I doubt anyone at the professional level would attempt what you're proposing, but maybe we'll see.

I hope the Bills win by more than a few inches today and this situation won't come up.

I don't think a high school team would even attempt this situation.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 10:39 AM
I don't think a high school team would even attempt this situation.

I don't think so either, but at this point I'm just trying to end the conversation.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 10:39 AM
Pooch punt with your QB. The D can't go balls-out to try to block a legit kick, they have to play honest and respect a possible pass and run.

YardRat wins.

Best idea so far. Good call.

BillsImpossible
10-18-2015, 10:43 AM
I know we're not supposed to attack the poster but attack the post itself, I'll take a slap on the wrist for this post anyway...

BillsImpossible is just a moron. Put this one with the rest of his idiotic threads anytime some stupid idea pops into his head.

It was meant to burn time, Mr. Pink.

Major pun intended.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-18-2015, 11:03 AM
YardRat wins.

I agree. Never considered that possibility but I like it a lot.

Joe Fo Sho
10-18-2015, 11:39 AM
YardRat wins.

Dalton just fumbled a shotgun snap. Time to find another play.

MillsapsBillsFan
10-18-2015, 12:31 PM
I'll take a hail marry attempt over a kickoff or punt return any day.

So you would rather have 11 offensive players (which includes 5 Lineman and a QB) try and cover an interception return than have a team of players specially picked to cover a punt cover it?

No. You punt 100% of the time.