PDA

View Full Version : Watkins has been a total disappointment, I think he's a bust

Skooby
10-21-2015, 12:44 PM
The calling for more catches after supposedly not being healthy all last and now again is a complete joke, the guy can't even stay on the field. Can someone justify his potential with the numbers we've seen thus far ?? How about finding a previous WR who couldn't stay healthy but then found a very high level of success ??

It's like we drafted the WR version of CJ Spiller, with a worse attitude & at a much higher price. I'm calling it out loud now, he's a bust. I also have 2 HQ jerseys of his, soon to shelved like his career.

SpikedLemonade
10-21-2015, 12:53 PM
I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because of our QB situation, but I am leaning towards him being a bust given his draft position and what we gave up to trade up for him.

Hopkins is finding a way to be great despite having crap throwing to him and he was drafted in the same year as Watkins but much later. Beckham overcame injuries to be great again drafted the same year as Watkins but much later. I think you can find one or two more examples.

So far there is absolutely nothing special about Watkins.

Whaley blew the pick.

GreedoII
10-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Well considering there wasn't a decent QB on the roster they should have never drafted him in the 1st place. they should have built the line but here we are again seeing yet another skill position player wasting away.....blame Nix on this one for Drafting EJ because he had big hands...dolt...

ct bills fan
10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
Bust is a strong word - let's give him more than 18 games ......

Victor7
10-21-2015, 01:23 PM
Not a bust yet but on his way.

He can redeem himself by staying healthy and producing. I get the part about having ****ty QB's. Believe me I do. I hated the pick at the moment because of the cost and the FACT that we didn't have a QB. Vintage Whaley stupidity. But the point remains that there are other WR's out there in similar spots that are producing. DeAndre Hopkins is a very good example. So is Mike Evans. For years Larry Fitzgerald put up great numbers with absolute **** throwing him the ball (sans Kurt Warner).

Sammy is at about 65%-75% bust right now. Still time to right the ship but not looking good at all.

mightysimi
10-21-2015, 01:52 PM
I reserve the bust label for guys who are terrible football players. Clearly he is not that.

justasportsfan
10-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Even Julio Jones would've been a bust here. No qb , No wr.

Forward_Lateral
10-21-2015, 02:20 PM
I said it last year and got blasted for it. I'll say it again. Watkins is made of paper. Guy is hurt nearly ever freaking game he's played in. Can't stay on the field, but complains that he doesn't get the ball. Gets the ball when he finally gets back on the field, and hurts himself on a no-contact play.

STFU Sammy and concentrate on being less of a candy-ass.

Thanks.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2015, 02:27 PM
He's definitely a bust. His vagina is bigger than most of the women on this planet.

Skooby
10-21-2015, 02:42 PM
I said it last year and got blasted for it. I'll say it again. Watkins is made of paper. Guy is hurt nearly ever freaking game he's played in. Can't stay on the field, but complains that he doesn't get the ball. Gets the ball when he finally gets back on the field, and hurts himself on a no-contact play.

Thanks.

This is just how I see it as well, he's a paper tiger living off an unearned reputation. Everyone I've talked to since drafted is like you guys Sammy Watkins, but thus far it's been pretty much no real success. What kind of WR gets hurt just catching a ball untouched for a TD ? Is there any other excuses he can come up with after getting the ball he desired ?

If he doesn't get the ball he complains, if he gets the ball he gets hurt. It's a big pile of **** either way, 2 F-in 1st round picks for a unhealthy player. We should of saved the extra pick to help secure the O-line, because right now it looks really thin. What a joke, almost undefendable (like picking EJ).

starrymessenger
10-21-2015, 02:52 PM
He's not a bust IMO. I see him and OBJ as equivalent talents, and I doubt any GM would have picked OBJ before Sammy if given the chance. He was the consensus #1 WR in his class, which was a very good one. If you were looking to prop up EJ he was a good choice because he lived off the short passing game and YAC whereas OBJ's skillset featured a remarkable route tree for a young wideout, like Amari Cooper, which EJ would likely not be able to use to advantage because he can't throw a football. And it's early days yet to say he's injury prone. He's had nagging injuries to be sure but he put together a pretty decent rookie year nevertheless and appeared in all 16 games. The Falcons with Dmitroff gave up more for Julio Jones in 2011 and he has been injured more than Sammy (and now is banged up again).
Having said that Whaley was definitely at fault here. Sammy was perhaps the # 1 WR in his class but there is no way he was worth an extra first and a fourth, especially the year he was drafted given OBJ, Mike Evans, Benjamin, etc...and given that we paid that to move up only a few spots. Of course taking OBJ instead and moving up for Bridgewater is with the benefit of hindsight, but this sort of retrospective thinking was predictable, almost inevitable, when you make a bad trade. And there is little doubt that Sammy was taken to help out EJ and that was like throwing good money after bad. Truth seems to be that Whaley is pretty useless at drafting players on the offensive side of the ball. He's good at finding linebackers, DBs, rotational D-line guys (maybe because he was a linebacker/safety himself) but he totally fails as an evaluator of offensive talent. The Sammy pick was easy because of the hype, but paying what he did shows a lack of ability to understand what all other, only slightly less "desirable" prospects were out there. He basically lazed out because he did not have the wherewithal to be more astute. EJ, Sammy (in the circumstances), Goodwin (he could have cut him if it was really not his pick), Graham, Boobie, Kujo, Richardson, the handling of Brown and Cassell, Arnold Palmers grandson, etc, etc... Saying that he was going to draft the Lions TE, Ebron, if not Sammy hardly puts him in a good light. Getting McCoy is like the Sammy syndrome. You don't need to be Ozzie Newsome to know McCoy is good. Even I and a million other people knew that. On the other hand Harvin at that price for a one year rental is a bit of a head scratcher. He's still fast but there are lots of guys like that. What with the injury issues he's had I don't think either we or the Jets have seen the explosion that set him apart as a weapon in Minny or even Seattle. Without that he may still be good, but not really special.
Being good at evaluating talent on one side of the ball is good enuf if you're a scout. A GM needs to be good at picking them on both sides.

WagonCircler
10-21-2015, 03:18 PM
I agree with Vic. Too soon to call him a bust, but he's knocking on there door.

And this is the problem with what Whaley spent on him. As has been mentioned, we had/have no QB. Certainly no serious passing game QB. When you combine the risk of injury to any one player who cost so much to acquire, and add insult to injury with the fact that there were many other equivalent WRs available in the same draft at half the price, you really have to conclude that Whaley needs to be fired.

He gambled big on EJ, then double/tripled down with the Watkins fiasco. He lost. He needs to go away.

ParanoidAndroid
10-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Nearly 1000 yards his rookie year and having bad luck with injuries earns him the bust label? You people are way more fragile than he is.

Typ0
10-21-2015, 03:34 PM
The offense is a lot better with him on the field. Hard to say he's a bust knowing that. Whaley has brought in a lot of talent. Still, there is a lot lacking with these guys it would seem. If he can't get it done we need to go in a different direction.

starrymessenger
10-21-2015, 03:41 PM
I agree with Vic. Too soon to call him a bust, but he's knocking on there door.

And this is the problem with what Whaley spent on him. As has been mentioned, we had/have no QB. Certainly no serious passing game QB. When you combine the risk of injury to any one player who cost so much to acquire, and add insult to injury with the fact that there were many other equivalent WRs available in the same draft at half the price, you really have to conclude that Whaley needs to be fired.

He gambled big on EJ, then double/tripled down with the Watkins fiasco. He lost. He needs to go away.

Triple down? How about quadruple down? He burns a first on a QB who should have gone much later in the draft, somewhere between Glennon and Mettenberger (who are both much better than him anyway) and who the Patriots had as a possible sixth rounder under the caption "athlete" not QB. He then overpays for Sammy because EJ can't throw a football. He also doesn't draft a real QB, like Bridgewater, because, after all, he's just drafted his franchise guy. And lastly he mishandles the Cassell situation because he figures EJ has improved, which he hasn't. So EJ has hurt the Bills in many ways, and continues to hurt them, but none of it is his fault.

Skooby
10-21-2015, 03:48 PM
The offense is a lot better with him on the field. Hard to say he's a bust knowing that. Whaley has brought in a lot of talent. Still, there is a lot lacking with these guys it would seem. If he can't get it done we need to go in a different direction.

Him on the field being the key.

Typ0
10-21-2015, 04:00 PM
The other thing is this team sucks. They are very talented but the mixture is bad. You can't fault a player for that. A bust is someone who doesn't belong on the field. We have all seen the talent Watkins has what team in the league is he not a starter on?

Skooby
10-21-2015, 04:21 PM
The other thing is this team sucks. They are very talented but the mixture is bad. You can't fault a player for that. A bust is someone who doesn't belong on the field. We have all seen the talent Watkins has what team in the league is he not a starter on?

When does he actually play up to his potential ? We gave up the farm for him, that comes with some expectations. Like simply staying healthy and being productive, not getting hurt while untouched.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2015, 04:34 PM
Nearly 1000 yards his rookie year and having bad luck with injuries earns him the bust label? You people are way more fragile than he is.

It's not possible to be more fragile than Sammy Watkins.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2015, 04:38 PM

The Bills. Because of the obvious. He's always ****ing hurt. Worthless.

Buffalogic
10-21-2015, 05:00 PM
Not a bust, soft, but not a bust.

Mace
10-21-2015, 05:15 PM
Most times I have trouble calling a player a bust. Most times I consider the pick itself a bust. Aaron Maybin, was a bust. CJ Spiller imho was a pick bust. I don't think there was any helping Maybin, who just couldn't hold weight and develop moves or technique. Spiller, picked by say, New England, NO (when Brees was in his prime), or such, would have had a different career I think.

I already think Watkins was a pick bust. It was just adding frosting before you finished making a cake. Player bust, well with another team, I don't know. He has time yet.

What puts me off about him is that Fred Jackson caught more passes than he did last year, from Orton, a real QB if not a great one. Also, even Steve Johnson could take control of a game with Fitz throwing to him, so far Watkins just isn't a go-to playmaker like I think they expected (even a not good QB will look to a compelling target as often as possible). Also the injuries. Watkins was the 45th ranked receiver last year, behind 32 year old TE Heath Miller and just ahead of the 36 year old Reggie Wayne. I mean that's not impressive.

At this point, I think he's our own fault, regardless.

Mr. Pink
10-21-2015, 07:03 PM
He had a decent rookie year, with meh QBing and then was hosed by Marrone on not even attempting to get him 1000 yards.

This year he's been oft injured.

He's also a guy, at Clemson, who was thrown quick screens and did it successfully. Apparently the quick screen to Watkins isn't in the playbook here.

Hard to say if he's a bust, but he's definitely not worth the price that was paid to acquire him based on how he's been used here so far.

Mike
10-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Thanks.

You & me both.
It was clear, last year, midway through the season that Watkins was robosack2.0. The guy is made of glass.
We both pointed it but it takes takes the Homers an extra 18mo to see clearly what's in front of their eyes.

Mike
10-21-2015, 07:21 PM
Watkins is:

1. Quite Talented
2. Made of glass
3. Has all the *potential in world only if
4. Has no QB to throw him the Ball
5. Bills fans will one day ask 'What if'
6. Not worth 2 1st round picks
7. Not the best WR in his class

Mike
10-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Sometimes I think he Milks these injuries. I bet if he played on a top offense, with a top QB, that featured him that he would play through these nicks.

If every hit matters, I wouldn't be surprised if he is saving himself for after his rookie contracts up and getting paid on showing potential.

Showing good # is limited action is better than average numbers in a lot of action.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Sometimes I think he Milks these injuries. I bet if he played on a top offense, with a top QB, that featured him that he would play through these nicks.

If every hit matters, I wouldn't be surprised if he is saving himself for after his rookie contracts up and getting paid on showing potential.

Showing good # is limited action is better than average numbers in a lot of action.

Then he is an even bigger pussy if this is the case.

Turf
10-21-2015, 08:04 PM

I don't believe that for a second.

Crisis
10-21-2015, 08:22 PM
I don't know how anyone can call him made of glass when Marquise Goodwin is on the roster.

He's had some nagging injuries but he's still been in almost every game.

TacklingDummy
10-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Bigger bust than Maybin when you take into consideration two 1st round and a 4th round pick to draft him, injury prone, and not even the best WR drafted out of Clemson that year. I'd rather have 118th pick in the same draft Martavis Bryant.

BertSquirtgum
10-21-2015, 10:35 PM
I don't know how anyone can call him made of glass when Marquise Goodwin is on the roster.

He's had some nagging injuries but he's still been in almost every game.

Umm....... No! Definitely nope. He sure as **** hasn't been.

Historian
10-22-2015, 04:40 AM
I wonder if he's Perry Tuttle's nephew or something....

Mahdi
10-22-2015, 05:45 AM
The guy has played with several different QBs since he's been here and he has had some injuries. It happens.

That being said he is a top drawer talent. If he were being targeted when he was on the field he would show everyone why. But between the QBs/coaches not making a point to feed him and the injuries all that talent is obscured at this point.

Give him more time, he'll come good and the Bills will have a better offense for it. Do we have to criticize him like we did with Lynch and then watch as he tears it up with another team?

Be patient.

Mahdi
10-22-2015, 05:48 AM

Don't believe that.

He was clearly annoyed when he was told he couldn't play against Tennessee.

gr8slayer
10-22-2015, 06:39 AM
Call it what it is. When you give up two first round picks for a guy, he needs to be a certain caliber of player, Watkins has not lived up to the expectations. I have no doubt that he has the talent (some of the best college film you'll ever see), but he is made of paper.

Skooby
10-22-2015, 06:43 AM
Call it what it is. When you give up two first round picks for a guy, he needs to be a certain caliber of player, Watkins has not lived up to the expectations. I have no doubt that he has the talent (some of the best college film you'll ever see), but he is made of paper.

Can he stay healthy ? Right now, I'm of the mindset he can't and won't. That makes him a bust.

Zero
10-22-2015, 08:21 AM
When you consider the price paid to acquire him, Watkins has been an enormous bust so far. Of course the book hasn't been written on this guy yet and hopefully he will have the opportunity to change the narrative but so far it isn't looking good for him as our QB situation has been less than ideal and Sammy can't seem to stay on the field.

While liking Watkin's talents, I never saw the need to give up so much to draft him. In retrospect, Whaley looks incredibly foolish for having gone all in on Watkins with less expensive (and arguably better) options available.

starrymessenger
10-22-2015, 08:24 AM
It's not possible to be more fragile than Sammy Watkins.

Marquis Goodwin says hello.

Skooby
10-22-2015, 08:26 AM
Marquis Goodwin says hello.

And goodbye as well.

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2015, 04:42 AM
I can't wait for the Bills to cut this loser.

Totally worthless POS.

I'd rather have James Hardy or Eric Richardson!

Night Train
12-07-2015, 05:51 AM
I can't wait for the Bills to cut this loser.

Totally worthless POS.

I'd rather have James Hardy or Eric Richardson!

The idiotic posting here is out of control. Can some buy crack with zone bucks ?

Yes, the trade for him was a desperation move to save Manuel (which failed) but as talent, the guy is a star at WR. When Taylor, McCoy and Watkins are healthy and together in the lineup, I noticed we tend to win games. :rolleyes:

Mr. Miyagi
12-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Hmmmm I wonder what would've happened if we actually threw Sammy the ball? Huh, look he could sort of play!

Buffalogic
12-07-2015, 08:17 AM
Bust worse than Maybin. Someone actually wrote that.

SeatownBillsFan21
12-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Goes to show that most armchair GMs around here know jack ****.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Goes to show that most armchair GMs around here know jack ****.

It's fans ridiculously overreacting to an Instagram post.

notacon
12-07-2015, 03:45 PM
A "bust"?!?!? Jesus. Bills' fans have got to have some of the worse fans in the league.

coastal
12-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Love the James Hardy reference.

that guy was awesome... pulled a gun on his dad at Memorial Day family bbq or something.

jimmifli
12-07-2015, 04:38 PM

that guy was awesome... pulled a gun on his dad at Memorial Day family bbq or something.

He's no Corey Moore.

Ginger Vitis
12-07-2015, 04:50 PM

That was Tackling Dummy

Ginger Vitis
12-07-2015, 04:52 PM

Hardy use to date Lil Waynes ex wife

BertSquirtgum
12-07-2015, 04:53 PM
If you can honestly say that you weren't even worried about him being a bust with being injured all the time then I will call you a liar.

Dr. Lecter
12-07-2015, 05:42 PM
If you can honestly say that you weren't even worried about him being a bust with being injured all the time then I will call you a liar.

Call me a liar. I'm pretty sure most people here know I'm not one. But if it makes you feel happy, go for it

He really didn't miss many games.

mdcas22
12-07-2015, 06:40 PM
I think most say giving up 2 1st and a 2nd for him is why they say what they do, I say he isn't worth what we gave when we couldn't stayed the coarse and had Beckham jr and saved this years 1st. there were a lot of WR's in last years draft class and right now sammy is around the 4th best so far, not to say he might end up the best of his class but Beckham looks pretty good 2 years in a row.

Crisis
12-07-2015, 06:47 PM
I think most say giving up 2 1st and a 2nd for him is why they say what they do, I say he isn't worth what we gave when we couldn't stayed the coarse and had Beckham jr and saved this years 1st. there were a lot of WR's in last years draft class and right now sammy is around the 4th best so far, not to say he might end up the best of his class but Beckham looks pretty good 2 years in a row.

It's easy to look back with hindsight. No one knew OBJ would be this good.

mdcas22
12-07-2015, 07:25 PM
It's easy to look back with hindsight. No one knew OBJ would be this good.

agreed but you don't know that Sammy would either. All's Im saying is both were rated in the top ten for wr's yet Whaly traded up like all's this team needed was a wr to get to where this team needed. I think Sammy is and will keep improving esp if our QB's will target him more but still not worth what we gave for him.

Crisis
12-07-2015, 08:58 PM
agreed but you don't know that Sammy would either. All's Im saying is both were rated in the top ten for wr's yet Whaly traded up like all's this team needed was a wr to get to where this team needed. I think Sammy is and will keep improving esp if our QB's will target him more but still not worth what we gave for him.

They weren't even comparable prospects at the time. Watkins was a consensus top player and OBJ wasn't even in the top 10 at the time.

Mike Evans was the only one close at the time and even there was a gap between him and Sammy.

Whaley took a shot. It was a lot to give up but he had a guy he liked and moved up to get him. I'd have more of an issue with it if Sammy was a bust.

Mace
12-07-2015, 09:57 PM
We're still 6-6. I don't know...woo, yay and wowza ?

IlluminatusUIUC
12-08-2015, 10:40 AM

The fact that we moved up shows that Whaley wasn't that high on any of the other wideouts in that draft. If we had stayed, we likely would have ended up with Eric Ebron. Would you rather have Ebron and our 2015 first?

MillsapsBillsFan
12-08-2015, 10:42 AM
there were a lot of WR's in last years draft class and right now sammy is around the 4th best so far, not to say he might end up the best of his class but Beckham looks pretty good 2 years in a row.4th best? I get putting OBJ out in front of him but who else is better? Mike Evans also know as butter hands? Kelvin Benjamin who got hurt and hasn't played a single snap this year? Im not saying youre 100% wrong im just really curious who else you would put in front of him. Sammy will be fine long term if they can figure out how to use him other than just running go routes.

This is someone who has had 3 100 yard games in the past five, and who had 10 targets (his season high) last week. OBJ has had 115 targets this year (9.58 per game) Sammy has had 42 (4.67) a game. If you want the star receiver to shine get him the damn ball. The bills inability to use him doesn't make him a bust, busts are those that lack talent and cant hack it. Sammy has all the talent but none of the targets. Put him on any other team with a QB and OC that knows how to use him and hes a top receiver.

Victor7
12-08-2015, 12:09 PM
The fact that we moved up shows that Whaley wasn't that high on any of the other wideouts in that draft. If we had stayed, we likely would have ended up with Eric Ebron. Would you rather have Ebron and our 2015 first?

Maybe, maybe not. I mean if we had picked Ebron we probably don't go for Clay and maybe use that $$ on a linebacker or tackle. Our 2015 pick could've been used for another need. Too many if and buts.

The concerning part in your scenario (if true) is that Douglas Whaley had no interest in anyone other WR. Evans, OBJ and Benjamin are all doing pretty darn good. Even Allen Robinson is in the discussion. He's ballin' in 2015.

The last buffalo fan
12-08-2015, 12:10 PM
4th best? I get putting OBJ out in front of him but who else is better? Mike Evans also know as butter hands? Kelvin Benjamin who got hurt and hasn't played a single snap this year? Im not saying youre 100% wrong im just really curious who else you would put in front of him. Sammy will be fine long term if they can figure out how to use him other than just running go routes.

This is someone who has had 3 100 yard games in the past five, and who had 10 targets (his season high) last week. OBJ has had 115 targets this year (9.58 per game) Sammy has had 42 (4.67) a game. If you want the star receiver to shine get him the damn ball. The bills inability to use him doesn't make him a bust, busts are those that lack talent and cant hack it. Sammy has all the talent but none of the targets. Put him on any other team with a QB and OC that knows how to use him and hes a top receiver.

:clap: