PDA

View Full Version : Will the Bills get into a bidding war for Polian?

X-Era
12-21-2015, 05:01 AM
Tennessee is supposedly very interested in going after Polian to be the Pres. They also want Peyton Manning in the front office.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25419910/reunion-between-peyton-manning-and-bill-polian-possible-in-tennessee

We were in the hunt for Polian last year.

Pegula wanted him and probably wants him now. With this history in Buffalo and Pegulas deep pockets can we beat out the Titans to land Polian?

It would be very interesting to see what Polian would do with the team. Pegula may tell Polian that any and all changes he wants are on the table. You could see a massive trimming of the staff if that happens. I can't see Polian being a Rex fan. Whaley? I can see him keeping Whaley. But there is no way Polian would ignore the undisciplined, misused, and dis-coordinated team that Rex is leading.

With any luck he'll be hired, he'll **** can that garbage pile Rex, and whisper dollars signs in Schwartz's ear at the catch committee meetings... Polian and Schwartz will both be on the committee.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000598975/article/polian-philbin-schwartz-among-the-nfls-new-catch-committee?campaign=Twitter_atn

Could be a very interesting off-season for the future of this franchise.

GreedoII
12-21-2015, 05:20 AM
I hope not...no more old codgers from the past who are out of touch with the league. that's the problem around here. Clinging to the past.....move on people

X-Era
12-21-2015, 05:25 AM
I hope not...no more old codgers from the past who are out of touch with the league. that's the problem around here. Clinging to the past.....move on peopleYou've got a complete clown reporting directly to the owner (Rex). Adding a guy above Rex with even more clout to oversee everything makes sense.

I want Whaley to stay. But is Polian takes over as Czar and determines the young Whaley and asshat Rex both need to go, so be it. Rex is a moron who has Pegula's ear and no real oversight. That is a major major problem.

What I want the most is to somehow navigate this where we end up with a Schwartz or Pettine scheme'd D again so we don't completely gut the defense for Rex's bull**** scheme. Keep them in tact and can Rex instead. Polian could be key because he can get between Pegula and Rex and prevent Rex from keeping the status quo. No clue whether Pegula likes Pettine or Schwartz. But like I said, they'll be on the catch committee together.

DraftBoy
12-21-2015, 05:29 AM
YOu've got a complete clown reporting directly to the owner (Rex). Adding a guy above Rex with even more clout to oversee everything makes sense.

I want Whaley to stay. But is Polian takes over as Czar and determines the young Whaley and asshat Rex both need to go, so be it.

What I want the most is to somehow navigate this where we end up with a Schwartz or Pettine scheme'd D again so we don't completely gut the defense for Rex's bull**** scheme. Keep them in tact and can Rex instead. Polian could be key because he can get between Pegula and Rex and prevent Rex from keeping the status quo. No clue whether Pegula likes Pettine or Schwartz. But like I said, they'll be on the catch committee together.

I don't care about hiring back Pettine or Schwartz honestly. The defense is going to be changing this offseason no matter what with at least three players leaving in McKelvin, M. Williams, and K. Williams. Who knows what happens with the LB group and we need safety help as well. JUst bring a coach who knows how to draw up a scheme that is versatile and pray that he is uber aggressive.

X-Era
12-21-2015, 05:36 AM
I don't care about hiring back Pettine or Schwartz honestly. The defense is going to be changing this offseason no matter what with at least three players leaving in McKelvin, M. Williams, and K. Williams. Who knows what happens with the LB group and we need safety help as well. JUst bring a coach who knows how to draw up a scheme that is versatile and pray that he is uber aggressive.Don't disgaree on any of it. I'm just gun-shy with the unknown coaches. Pettine and Schwartz proved they can do it with these players.

Mario is gone. There is only the slimmest of chances that he restructures and that may require someone like Schwartz. I think he is gone for sure. I'm ok with it. It'll be inetersting to see who they try to replace him with.

McKelvin is gone.

Kyle may retire. I wonder though. He's another one who may want to stay if coaching changes happen. I think he's retiring though.

I could see Graham and Lawson gone. I think Aaron Williams will be the FS and we will want a real SS. We may want an upgrade to Lawson.

Brooks and Bradham are gone IMO. I'm glad to see both go.

colin
12-21-2015, 06:00 AM
i agree this team is a poop covered tire fire, but i don't think blowing up the coaches is a good move.

rex has stank, and roman is a frustrating guy to watch, but we have been able to run and get production out of a first year starting qb even with a ton of injuries. imo percy harvin was the biggest loss outside of TT/Shady/Sammy this year. if he and clay are playing today, we might have put up enough points to score more than our D allows.

i think since we need to re do our D, we might as well re do it the way rex wants it, he's here already and some of our players (houghs, CBs, lawson) have already shown they can be great in this scheme, and it's done well in the past on other teams.

agree that k and m williams are gone (although if he can play i want kyle stay, but i think he might be done) and mcfumbles is a write off.

so it's not ideal, but blowing it up to bring in new guys is what got us into this mess this year, let's not do it again.

MillsapsBillsFan
12-21-2015, 06:37 AM
You've got a complete clown reporting directly to the owner (Rex). Adding a guy above Rex with even more clout to oversee everything makes sense.

I want Whaley to stay. But is Polian takes over as Czar and determines the young Whaley and asshat Rex both need to go, so be it. Rex is a moron who has Pegula's ear and no real oversight. That is a major major problem.

Great, so we get rid of Whaley and replace him with Polians son when he comes here? Hate to break it to you, thats not an upgrade. Im also not 100% sure that Polian wants to come back, he had the chance last year and after talking to his buddy Marrone he decided not to (I don't think the HOF was the only factor).

X-Era
12-21-2015, 06:38 AM
Great, so we get rid of Whaley and replace him with Polians son when he comes here? Hate to break it to you, thats not an upgrade. Im also not 100% sure that Polian wants to come back, he had the chance last year and after talking to his buddy Marrone he decided not to (I don't think the HOF was the only factor).
Who said to get rid of Whaley? Czar oversees Whaley doesn't replace him.

SpikedLemonade
12-21-2015, 06:39 AM
We need an experienced President for the club but I am not sure Polian is the person for it.

Buffalogic
12-21-2015, 06:44 AM
I'm not excited about the prospect of Polian. I don't want him. I would much rather have Jim Harbaugh. Throw crazy money at him and let him do whatever he wants.

X-Era
12-21-2015, 06:45 AM
I'm not excited about the prospect of Polian. I don't want him. I would much rather have Jim Harbaugh. Throw crazy money at him and let him do whatever he wants.
Did you just say Harbaugh?

I hate that *******.

Buffalogic
12-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Did you just say Harbaugh?

I hate that *******.
Yeah, He's easy to hate, but he is a winner. 49ers went from superbowl to a dumpster fire without him. He knows how to elevate mediocre talent as well. He'd be great with Tyrod.

MillsapsBillsFan
12-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Who said to get rid of Whaley? Czar oversees Whaley doesn't replace him.

The prevailing opinion here seems to be to clear the football side completely and let Polian rebuild it, so I just assumed. I agree with Spiked, I think that the team needs a good consistent football voice but I don't think its Polian. He's 73 years old and his teams in Indy were not very well constructed towards the end of his career. Im not sure who else is available out there, but I think it should be someone other than Polian.

Also in order for someone else to become president, Russ Brandon would have to be removed. I know what the opinion of him around here is, but the truth is that Pegula has made him the president of the Sabres as well, so obviously he has a favorable opinion of him. I don't think anyone comes in and fully replaces Brandon which seems to be what everyone wants

WagonCircler
12-21-2015, 07:36 AM
I can see him keeping Whaley..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Jesse
12-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Haha, Polian is like 90 and isn't even in football these days. Give it up people, let go of the past. Maybe we'll get him and Marv can come back too.

IlluminatusUIUC
12-21-2015, 09:25 AM
Yeah, He's easy to hate, but he is a winner. 49ers went from superbowl to a dumpster fire without him. He knows how to elevate mediocre talent as well. He'd be great with Tyrod.

Harbaugh only makes half a million less then Rex Ryan and gets to coach at his dream job. If his team knew how to punt, he might have won the Big 10 in his first year.

I don't see that coming back to the NFL to take over the Bills is even a lateral move, let alone an upgrade.

Victor7
12-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Harbaugh ain't coming here. I bet he wouldn't even come for twice what he makes now at Michigan.

As for Polian, I bet that Russ Brandon probably loooooves the idea. Would solve the issue of how to sell tickets for 2016 after this disaster of a season.

X-Era
12-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Guys, who in the hell cares how many tickets we sell? I'm going to games regardless. I'm watching the team regardless.

I care about winning. My thoughts are on how to get this team to win a Super Bowl.

WagonCircler
12-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Guys, who in the hell cares how many tickets we sell? I'm going to games regardless. I'm watching the team regardless.

I care about winning. My thoughts are on how to get this team to win a Super Bowl.

It's pretty simple.

If you keep serving plates of lukewarm slop, and you keep selling out of it, you have no incentive to upgrade your offering.

Russ F Brandon doesn't give a good God damn about winning. Winning for him is profit margin. It perpetuates his existence.

swiper
12-21-2015, 11:19 AM
I am not as big a fan of Polian as some, but I would be very interested to know who he would hire to coach the team.

Mr. Pink
12-21-2015, 12:06 PM
He didn't want to come here this past offseason but now he's going to want to this offseason?

Yeah, sure.

ticatfan
12-21-2015, 12:09 PM
It's pretty simple.

If you keep serving plates of lukewarm slop, and you keep selling out of it, you have no incentive to upgrade your offering.

Russ F Brandon doesn't give a good God damn about winning. Winning for him is profit margin. It perpetuates his existence.The leafs have been doing it for yrs. lol

WagonCircler
12-21-2015, 12:16 PM
The leafs have been doing it for yrs. lol

Same for the Cubs.

But then a rich fan bought the team, now they're seriously contending.

The Cubs brought in the best manager and the best GM in baseball.

The Bills? Not so much.

feldspar
12-21-2015, 01:39 PM
I am not as big a fan of Polian as some, but I would be very interested to know who he would hire to coach the team.

Simple...Cowher AND Gruden.

It's that time of year again. Polian, Cowher, and Gruden. I'm sure we'll get all three.

swiper
12-21-2015, 01:49 PM

It's that time of year again. Polian, Cowher, and Gruden. I'm sure we'll get all three.

LOL. I understand what you're getting at, but really. He clearly knows who is good (and still willing to coach) above and beyond all the names exchanged here.

Sadly I believe that two of the very top head coaching candidates for the coming carousel are going to be Jim Schwartz and Doug Marrone.

Other people pining for your cast-offs? Sound familiar. Like Gailey running the NY offense?

Only thing I like about Pegula over Ralph is that he appears to be willing to spend to hire name/proven cordinators. Ralph never would do that (sans Walt Corey/Marchabroda/Wade).

X-Era
12-21-2015, 02:01 PM

It's that time of year again. Polian, Cowher, and Gruden. I'm sure we'll get all three.No, we're getting Alex Van Pelt, Mike Mularkey, Doug Marrone, and Marc Trestman.

They'll compete for the "starting" job in training camp.

Historian
12-22-2015, 08:31 AM
I'll take Polian as President,and Reich as my HC.

And Brandon is arrested for having sex with one of his underage waiters....

justasportsfan
12-22-2015, 10:59 AM
He didn't want to come here this past offseason but now he's going to want to this offseason?

Yeah, sure.

He wanted to secure his place in the HOF first. Taking a GM job would have prevented or put it on hold.

WagonCircler
12-22-2015, 12:23 PM

And maybe we could pry Tom Telesco away from the Chargers, too.

Night Train
12-22-2015, 12:40 PM
He wanted to secure his place in the HOF first. Taking a GM job would have prevented or put it on hold.

Yet he's well into his 70's and I'm not sure he wants this.

Bidding war ? Really ? Who are we competing with ?

swiper
12-22-2015, 04:55 PM

Agree. But still would love to know who he would hire as head coach.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 05:00 PM

Yeah and maybe he'll bring Bill Cowher with him to coach too.

YardRat
12-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Brandon's official title for the Bills is actually Managing Partner and President.

pmoon6
12-22-2015, 05:15 PM

It's that time of year again. Polian, Cowher, and Gruden. I'm sure we'll get all three.Well, they could dig up Lombardi and he still would be better than what we have.

Mace
12-22-2015, 06:30 PM

I'm not so keen on Polian anymore, though he'd be better than what we have even if unsuccessful.

On the other hand I'd have been happier with Reich trying to find his way and stumbling than I am about someone bumbling along who should have learned better by now.

WagonCircler
12-22-2015, 06:33 PM
Brandon's official title for the Bills is actually Managing Partner and President.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Mace
12-22-2015, 06:42 PM

Didn't realize that. I guess that clears up which football mind Pegula is listening to.

coastal
12-22-2015, 07:41 PM
Partner?

he's an owner?

how did a ticket salesman ascend to this?

Mace
12-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Partner?

he's an owner?

Whoa there lil buckaroo, no, he received no stake.

SpikedLemonade
12-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Whoa there lil buckaroo, no, he received no stake.

To be called a "partner" Ralph had to leave him a little equity or placed conditions so he would receive some equity.

The Jokeman
12-22-2015, 08:25 PM
Tennessee is supposedly very interested in going after Polian to be the Pres. They also want Peyton Manning in the front office.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25419910/reunion-between-peyton-manning-and-bill-polian-possible-in-tennessee

We were in the hunt for Polian last year.

Pegula wanted him and probably wants him now. With this history in Buffalo and Pegulas deep pockets can we beat out the Titans to land Polian?

It would be very interesting to see what Polian would do with the team. Pegula may tell Polian that any and all changes he wants are on the table. You could see a massive trimming of the staff if that happens. I can't see Polian being a Rex fan. Whaley? I can see him keeping Whaley. But there is no way Polian would ignore the undisciplined, misused, and dis-coordinated team that Rex is leading.

With any luck he'll be hired, he'll **** can that garbage pile Rex, and whisper dollars signs in Schwartz's ear at the catch committee meetings... Polian and Schwartz will both be on the committee.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000598975/article/polian-philbin-schwartz-among-the-nfls-new-catch-committee?campaign=Twitter_atn

Could be a very interesting off-season for the future of this franchise.

A big reason Polian turned down the job last year is he didn't think we had the franchise QB in place, with Whaley's comments about Tyrod deserving another year and us looking to not look past mproving the position makes me think we might still not have one in place. One think that Mariotta is the next great QB based on his rookie season not sure I see Polian ending up in Tenny and Peyton in the front office? That just doesn't sound right.

Mace
12-22-2015, 08:29 PM
To be called a "partner" Ralph had to leave him a little equity or placed conditions so he would receive some equity.

No, I read more about it, easy to find. No stake.

Yet anyway.

Mr. Pink
12-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Managing Partner and CEO are pretty interchangeable in title designations for the same job...

Russ was titled CEO when Ralph owned the team.

The odd part is that Pegula is the CEO currently...it makes me wonder who the actual guy who does the day to day business stuff is.

Mace
12-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Managing Partner and CEO are pretty interchangeable in title designations for the same job...

Russ was titled CEO when Ralph owned the team.

The odd part is that Pegula is the CEO currently...it makes me wonder who the actual guy who does the day to day business stuff is.

Looks like Brandon imho.

WagonCircler
12-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Partner?

he's an owner?

He used a variation of the Anna Nicole Smith playbook.

justasportsfan
12-23-2015, 08:46 AM

well maybe as a president who gives advise and not a GM who does all the leg work?

ticatfan
12-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Former general manager Bill Polian use to be a personal director for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and scout for the Montreal Alouettes. This should end this discussion.