PDA

View Full Version : The cap situation is concerning

OpIv37
01-06-2016, 05:51 PM
It's hard to see how this team is going to maintain the current talent level, let alone improve, with all the FA's and lack of cap space.

I know, some of you will say that I used to complain about all the unused cap and now I'm complaining about not having cap space, but I've always maintained that the money has to be spent wisely. Spending money on offensive skill positions with a shaky OL is not wise. Spending big on the DL then hiring a coach who drops 300 lbers into pass coverage is not wise.

Pegula made the same mistakes he did with the Sabres: he believed the FO's nonsense that the team was almost there and went for broke.

Ok, enough ranting: how do we improve on this mediocre season? How do we get more consistent on O and reinvigorate the pass rush with so little cap space? Any thoughts?

Mace
01-06-2016, 06:24 PM
It's hard to see how this team is going to maintain the current talent level, let alone improve, with all the FA's and lack of cap space.

I know, some of you will say that I used to complain about all the unused cap and now I'm complaining about not having cap space, but I've always maintained that the money has to be spent wisely. Spending money on offensive skill positions with a shaky OL is not wise. Spending big on the DL then hiring a coach who drops 300 lbers into pass coverage is not wise.

Pegula made the same mistakes he did with the Sabres: he believed the FO's nonsense that the team was almost there and went for broke.

Ok, enough ranting: how do we improve on this mediocre season? How do we get more consistent on O and reinvigorate the pass rush with so little cap space? Any thoughts?

Well, it's going to come down to how much cap space they chop (Mario, Kyle maybe, McKelvin) and what they can do with the draft. Those alone are a lot of money that don't fit for better or worse, like near 22 million you can use to resign Glenn and Incognito, say. If the scouting is good and the draft picks are wise, debatable, we can get a few pieces back, younger and cheaper, fitting better (figure maybe a safety, a DL and an OL). It's still going to depend a lot on brittle players being durable and if they can find Ryan players for LB in later rounds, or Roman type OL depth in later rounds.

It's going to come down to ruthless capwork and precise draft and I don't see it happening successfully.

X-Era
01-06-2016, 06:40 PM

I had a whole thread on this the other day.

I'd release Mario, McKelvin, Urbik, and Carpenter. I'd re-sign Glenn and Incognito. I'd then draft a DE/DT (or both), OLB, K, WR, possibly a RT and S.

You'd hope the DE/DT steps in and starts day one as Marios replacement. Mario's numbers were low so getting the same level of production should be fairly simple... The OLB should also start and replace Bradham. I'd like a significant upgrade to Bradham as a play making OLB and that I also think is possible. Those would be my two must haves from this draft. The WR would hopefully be a possession type player. The kicker needs to replace Carpenter who was horrible. The RT will compete for the starting job.

BillsImpossible
01-06-2016, 07:24 PM
I agree with everything except letting go of McKelvin.

He said he would take a pay cut, and the Bills need a safety.

Mr. Cynical
01-06-2016, 07:27 PM
I agree with everything except letting go of McKelvin.

He said he would take a pay cut, and the Bills need a safety.

McFumbles needs to go. Or McToast, take your pick. He makes 1 good play for every 5 crappy ones, and that's not what you need to win.

Mace
01-06-2016, 07:29 PM
I had a whole thread on this the other day.

I'd release Mario, McKelvin, Urbik, and Carpenter. I'd re-sign Glenn and Incognito. I'd then draft a DE/DT (or both), OLB, K, WR, possibly a RT and S.

You'd hope the DE/DT steps in and starts day one as Marios replacement. Mario's numbers were low so getting the same level of production should be fairly simple... The OLB should also start and replace Bradham. I'd like a significant upgrade to Bradham as a play making OLB and that I also think is possible. Those would be my two must haves from this draft. The WR would hopefully be a possession type player. The kicker needs to replace Carpenter who was horrible. The RT will compete for the starting job.

It's just distressing when you realize we can't do this right, again. If you have 7 holes you fill 2, and maybe next year, again for 2 more to maybe develop, and 3 just didn't work out...but you get some dazzling plays out of whoever you paid too much for, and if the souandso's didn't get hurt, and and....

BillsImpossible
01-06-2016, 07:43 PM
McFumbles needs to go. Or McToast, take your pick. He makes 1 good play for every 5 crappy ones, and that's not what you need to win.

I would never let him attempt to catch another punt or kickoff again. Don't let his special teams play get in the way of his performance in the Bills secondary.

Did McKelvin play well at safety this year, or did he not?

McKelvin has played cornerback and safety this year, and did a good job at both overall.

He publicly stated that he would be willing to take a pay cut this year.

Leodis wants to finish his career as a Buffalo Bill. Moving him to safety worked out better than I thought it would.

Donnie Henderson did a great job this year, btw. He gets no love!

YardRat
01-06-2016, 07:51 PM
lol...too funny.

SpikedLemonade
01-06-2016, 07:57 PM
Next year we play the much tougher NFC West and AFC North (both divisions have 2 play-off teams each this year) rather than the much easier NFC East and AFC South (both division winners are 9-7) that we played this year.

Given the above and the Bills salary cap situation plus draft position, it is virtually impossible for the Bills to improve their record next year.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

X-Era
01-07-2016, 04:08 AM
It's just distressing when you realize we can't do this right, again. If you have 7 holes you fill 2, and maybe next year, again for 2 more to maybe develop, and 3 just didn't work out...but you get some dazzling plays out of whoever you paid too much for, and if the souandso's didn't get hurt, and and....
I don't see 7 holes, I see 3. Mario, Bradham, and Carpenter is all are let go. All other positions have a starter returning.

We may want to upgrade other spots but I don't look at them as holes.

As I said in my other thread, we're finally back to having to make tough choices. Teams up against the cap do that. I'm alright with it.

Night Train
01-07-2016, 05:04 AM
They can also save a bunch of cap space by restructuring Clay and converting his roster bonus to a signing bonus, pro-rating it over the life of the deal. And if they sign Gilmore long term, his cap hit for this year would drop significantly from it's current value. Those 2 moves could buy us an additional $15 mil in cap space. Not to mention any rollover space we have from this year.

GreedoII
01-07-2016, 05:18 AM

no such thing as terrible Cap situations....restructure....release deadweight...cap goes up again this year...so stop worrying about the cap. Who even cares....not your money...

DraftBoy
01-07-2016, 05:47 AM
I think the current cap number you see and what the cap number will be in 30-60 days is completely different.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-07-2016, 06:37 AM
Too early to tell right now but one thing about continuity in the FO is to allow the Whaley and Rex to assess and set priorities (the must and nice-to-have lists). Every team does that every year but new coaching staff usually lacks far behind in accuracy in the assessment phase.

First will be the coach staff. I don't expect much changes. Maybe a few position coaches like D Line, Outside LB area. I don't see Thurman to go but Pettine is the wild card here. Lets face it, It is Rex who designs and sometimes calls the defensive plays - the main reason Schwartz left because he did not want to lose that power; I see Pettine more of an innovator than Thurman at this point and and probably Pettine handles people better as well.

Next it is to decide what must haves. I see O-Line and OLB being the top priority this year, so I see them doing something there. Its obvious that last year they decided QB, TE, and RB were top priorities so they attacked those area.

I myself see Mario being gone for sure. In the current scheme, it's a luxury they can't carry. I actually see them drafting a NT/DT very high which is not a top priority but if done right, can be much more effective.

YardRat
01-07-2016, 07:15 AM
Funny, I don't perceive Pettine as being an innovator as much as a disciple that runs the same scheme, just dummied-down a little bit.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-07-2016, 07:29 AM
Next it is to decide what must haves. I see O-Line and OLB being the top priority this year, so I see them doing something there. Its obvious that last year they decided QB, TE, and RB were top priorities so they attacked those area.

I myself see Mario being gone for sure. In the current scheme, it's a luxury they can't carry. I actually see them drafting a NT/DT very high which is not a top priority but if done right, can be much more effective.

I think Kicker is a top priority too. Its important that we find a kicker who can do both kickoffs and fg's and can actually make xp's. Those points are just as important.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-07-2016, 07:44 AM
I think Kicker is a top priority too. Its important that we find a kicker who can do both kickoffs and fg's and can actually make xp's. Those points are just as important.

Not sure kicker is something you can count on. They are so unpredictable year to year for most of them.

Just like defense - I never counted on 2015 being great defensively just because 2014 was top 5. Any time you need 11 guys to work together well, some slight changes can upset it all. Offense is a little more predictable because QB is the key guy who touches the ball every snap.

You can argue the Bills D peaked 2014 with the right mix of people and the right scheme. Now the 2016 Bills offense? No one knows but if I have to guess, I would expect them to be better primarily because of Tyrod and LeSean's steady hands (and legs).

Ingtar33
01-07-2016, 07:49 AM
Next year we play the much tougher NFC West and AFC North (both divisions have 2 play-off teams each this year) rather than the much easier NFC East and AFC South (both division winners are 9-7) that we played this year.

Given the above and the Bills salary cap situation plus draft position, it is virtually impossible for the Bills to improve their record next year.

Sorry to be a party pooper.

I know, we're probably playing the toughest 2 divisions in football next year. I think 10-6 is the ABSOLUTE ceiling we can expect without a superbowl capable squad. Anything more then that and you'd have to pencil us in as superbowl contenders. We'll probably be lucky to get to 8-8 again next year.

daryls61
01-07-2016, 08:30 AM
The cap is really not an issue. Once you have your core players in place, it is just about adding certain pieces. Contracts can always be renegotiated and players with high cap numbers who are not producing cut. We wont have cap issues until we have to pay a QB big money.

sukie
01-07-2016, 08:44 AM
Here's me (X) _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Here's my concern about the cap (X)

OpIv37
01-07-2016, 09:25 AM
I think the current cap number you see and what the cap number will be in 30-60 days is completely different.

Ok.

How do we get there without creating new holes?

SpikedLemonade
01-07-2016, 09:43 AM
I think the OL that was below average this year will take a step back next year.

Eric Wood is regressing.

We have poor play from our RT.

Miller is a question mark.

I doubt they resign Glenn.

With little money available for free agents and a historic unwillingness to draft OL early and often, I just don't see much talent on our OL next year.

Night Train
01-07-2016, 01:34 PM
Incognito gets his $$. I think Glenn can be had. But that burns up all the Mario cut savings, which is why Whaley said they would not be active in FA with front line expensive FA's. Secondary guys will be signed (ex. backup QB, Front 7 D help ).

sukie
01-07-2016, 01:36 PM
When have front line FA's gotten us to the playoffs? Not a big deal.

DraftBoy
01-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Ok.

How do we get there without creating new holes?

Depends on what you consider to be the current holes.

OpIv37
01-07-2016, 04:33 PM
When have front line FA's gotten us to the playoffs? Not a big deal.

Two things: first, it's not about just getting front line FA's. We have a lot of guys that we need to sign or replace.

Second, if you are going to use that logic, when has relying on the draft for a talent influx gotten us to the playoffs?

Mace
01-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Funny, I don't perceive Pettine as being an innovator as much as a disciple that runs the same scheme, just dummied-down a little bit.

I think I remember reading he sort of was, within that style, here anyway. His Ryan defense was more dependent on lb's and line (making plays) at the time where Ryan is more about db's and lb's (making plays), used less concrete man coverage from the CB's, where Ryan is all about it.

DesertFox24
01-07-2016, 04:55 PM
No team in NFL has zero holes or question marks. If you have a qb and a good def you have a chance. Let's hope Rex fixes the def and Tyrod takes the next step. I would like to see Glenn and Ritchie back and then a good draft again

OpIv37
01-07-2016, 04:57 PM
No team in NFL has zero holes or question marks. If you have a qb and a good def you have a chance. Let's hope Rex fixes the def and Tyrod takes the next step. I would like to see Glenn and Ritchie back and then a good draft again

How do we fix the D with no cap space? We were 8-8. Clearly the talent for a playoff run isn't there. Somehow we have to get better with extremely limited resources.

Mace
01-07-2016, 05:02 PM
Second, if you are going to use that logic, when has relying on the draft for a talent influx gotten us to the playoffs?

Hah, 1980. Ritcher, Cribbs, Brammer, and Cater.

DraftBoy
01-07-2016, 05:20 PM
How do we fix the D with no cap space? We were 8-8. Clearly the talent for a playoff run isn't there. Somehow we have to get better with extremely limited resources.

Well the first thing I'd do is stop over-dramatizing the situation.

Depending on which site you prefer some are saying the 2016 cap will be near $160 million which gives us roughly $5.5 million there.

Clay has a $10 million roster bonus in 2016 that can be converted and amortized out to get you another 5-7 million. Gilmore is set to make $11 million but a long-term deal that is structured properly could get that number down below 10 which is another 2-3 million pretty easily. Additionally Harvin still technically counts for $2 million again the cap if the option gets exercised which I don't think it will.

So by just taking just a few seconds and doing any kind of actual research you can see how the Bills can easily be sitting at 12-14 million under the cap without creating any holes or cutting anybody.

EDS
01-07-2016, 05:43 PM

Depending on which site you prefer some are saying the 2016 cap will be near $160 million which gives us roughly $5.5 million there.

Clay has a $10 million roster bonus in 2016 that can be converted and amortized out to get you another 5-7 million. Gilmore is set to make $11 million but a long-term deal that is structured properly could get that number down below 10 which is another 2-3 million pretty easily. Additionally Harvin still technically counts for $2 million again the cap if the option gets exercised which I don't think it will.

So by just taking just a few seconds and doing any kind of actual research you can see how the Bills can easily be sitting at 12-14 million under the cap without creating any holes or cutting anybody.

I thought Harvin counts $2m against the cap if the option is NOT exercised. He would get $10m if exercised, but that was not expected to happen unless he had a huge year.

OpIv37
01-07-2016, 05:59 PM

Then we resign incognito and Glenn and we are right back to peanuts.

X-Era
01-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Players like Demario Davis won't cost an arm and a leg and could actually be upgrades to existing players. I'd give Davis the nod over Bradham due to his familiarity with Rex's D.

DraftBoy
01-07-2016, 06:25 PM
I thought Harvin counts $2m against the cap if the option is NOT exercised. He would get $10m if exercised, but that was not expected to happen unless he had a huge year.

Good point, I forgot that the deal worked that way.

Mace
01-07-2016, 06:26 PM
Players like Demario Davis won't cost an arm and a leg and could actually be upgrades to existing players. I'd give Davis the nod over Bradham due to his familiarity with Rex's D.

That's the problem though too. You end up getting players for "familiarity", like you need a Jim Leonhard who isn't that good anymore, check out a Wayne Hunter though he hasn't played in a while, look for people not so bad as opposed to good to try and help scheme work better because they're you're type of players, and maybe you can't afford better ones because you overspent on inapproprate skill positions, won't let go of your failed draft picks and are incapable of drafting better ones.

DraftBoy
01-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Then we resign incognito and Glenn and we are right back to peanuts.

Because you as the person who is *****ing without even doing the slightest bit of research are the person to trust about the estimated cost of Incognito and Glenn without doing the slightest bit of research?

There are still other deals that can be restructured, players who can (and will be) cut to create more room. You are *****ing like we are in some impossible situation with the cap, when that's not even close to the truth.

YardRat
01-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Bare minimum...

We need an NT...Dareus is one of the keepers obviously, and we'll have to get by with Bryant/Charles/Carrington.
If cutting Mario (which frees up space) we can live with Lawson and Hughes...Brown in the middle. Would be nice to get another LBer.
Set at corner...crossing fingers with AW, we need another safety.

Not ideal by any means, but doable if we sign/draft three starters for the defense.

On offense, Glenn and Incognito need to be re-signed, and we need an RT. Screw the skill positions they shot their wad on them this past off-season with poor results.

Kicker...one guy for both jobs. Can be had cheap.

Five new starters total, three that fit the system on D. No need for big splashes. Certainly won't put visions of Super Bowl in anybody's head, but enough to get by for next year.

stuckincincy
01-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Kicker...one guy for both jobs.

You blaspheme!!!!! :drive:

Mace
01-07-2016, 07:10 PM
Bare minimum...

We need an NT...

And he'd better be good in coverage when he's not occupying two gaps.

stuckincincy
01-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Because you as the person who is *****ing without even doing the slightest bit of research are the person to trust about the estimated cost of Incognito and Glenn without doing the slightest bit of research?

There are still other deals that can be restructured, players who can (and will be) cut to create more room. You are *****ing like we are in some impossible situation with the cap, when that's not even close to the truth.

A fair question about cuts and restructuring of contracts of starters is how much money is left over to maintain (and keep) a decent level of talent on the bench and the special teams. And if will they spend it there.

sukie
01-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Two things: first, it's not about just getting front line FA's. We have a lot of guys that we need to sign or replace.

1990s through 17 years ago

BertSquirtgum
01-08-2016, 01:25 AM
Who cares.

DraftBoy
01-08-2016, 04:26 AM
A fair question about cuts and restructuring of contracts of starters is how much money is left over to maintain (and keep) a decent level of talent on the bench and the special teams. And if will they spend it there.

That's assuming that a decent level of talent currently exists on the bench, which I'm not sure is a good argument when we're talking about guys like Kraig Urbik, Jordan Mills, and Chris Hogan all seeing lots of snaps as depth guys.

chernobylwraiths
01-08-2016, 05:14 AM
You see, now I have no problem bringing in competition for Carpenter, but outright releasing him for anybody is stupid IMO. Remember those years when we had crappy kickers? You don't just release someone who is clearly capable for almost no reason. He wouldn't save much money either and it could potentially lose games. As has been pointed out, his field goal production was very good and he is 13 of 19 from 50 yards and beyond. That is pretty damned good.

McKelvin as well could stay if he takes a pay cut. He is not a terrible cover guy, but he isn't a starter either. Definitely good depth.

It is just ridiculous to me how people get a bug up their ass about somebody because of a bad play they made and just want to cut them. Hell, Lawson helped lose us that KC game two years ago, but he is a decent player. Incognito was almost a turnstyle vs Philly. I'm not sure I want McKelvin returning any more kicks (though he DID return a few for scores) but he is a decent player.

Mario is as good as gone. I wish they could try to trade him, but that is unrealistic I guess. I also love Kyle Williams but he will also need to take a pay cut to stay. I really hope he can. Keep Glenn and Incognito and try to sign Bradham. But in God's name, try to get Gilmore locked up too. The earlier the better.

X-Era
01-08-2016, 05:33 AM
You see, now I have no problem bringing in competition for Carpenter, but outright releasing him for anybody is stupid IMO. Remember those years when we had crappy kickers? You don't just release someone who is clearly capable for almost no reason. He wouldn't save much money either and it could potentially lose games. As has been pointed out, his field goal production was very good and he is 13 of 19 from 50 yards and beyond. That is pretty damned good.

McKelvin as well could stay if he takes a pay cut. He is not a terrible cover guy, but he isn't a starter either. Definitely good depth.

It is just ridiculous to me how people get a bug up their ass about somebody because of a bad play they made and just want to cut them. Hell, Lawson helped lose us that KC game two years ago, but he is a decent player. Incognito was almost a turnstyle vs Philly. I'm not sure I want McKelvin returning any more kicks (though he DID return a few for scores) but he is a decent player.

Mario is as good as gone. I wish they could try to trade him, but that is unrealistic I guess. I also love Kyle Williams but he will also need to take a pay cut to stay. I really hope he can. Keep Glenn and Incognito and try to sign Bradham. But in God's name, try to get Gilmore locked up too. The earlier the better.

Carpenter was 18th in FG percentage and 31st in extra point percentage. Yet Dustin Hopkins, who we drafted and cut to keep Carpenter, has a extra point percentage of 97.5 which ranks 9th in the league; he's also 9th in FG percentage.

I don't want Carpenter on this team any more. Draft a guy or sign one (they are relatively cheap).

If any player is willing to take a cut to stay I'd keep him as long as the money saved makes it a smart move. That does include McKelvin. I always want depth. Lord knows we needed it this year. In the final game against the Jets I think we had 9 or 10 starters on O and D missing.

Mario might be trade-able if he would redo his deal with a pay cut to go to the team that wants him. No one will take him at 19.9 in cap hit.

ghz in pittsburgh
01-08-2016, 06:03 AM
Bare minimum...

We need an NT...Dareus is one of the keepers obviously, and we'll have to get by with Bryant/Charles/Carrington.
If cutting Mario (which frees up space) we can live with Lawson and Hughes...Brown in the middle. Would be nice to get another LBer.
Set at corner...crossing fingers with AW, we need another safety.

Not ideal by any means, but doable if we sign/draft three starters for the defense.

Whaley has a reputation for identifying D talents, so this is right in his alley, eh?

I think Dareus is at his best playing end in 3-4. If he has to play NT, better use 1 gap system. At end, you may see more of the pass rush he showed in the last Jets' game where he forced the Lawson pick. One gap NT without pass rushing skills is easier to find.

chernobylwraiths
01-08-2016, 06:18 AM
Carpenter was 18th in FG percentage and 31st in extra point percentage. Yet Dustin Hopkins, who we drafted and cut to keep Carpenter, has a extra point percentage of 97.5 which ranks 9th in the league; he's also 9th in FG percentage.

I don't want Carpenter on this team any more. Draft a guy or sign one (they are relatively cheap).

If any player is willing to take a cut to stay I'd keep him as long as the money saved makes it a smart move. That does include McKelvin. I always want depth. Lord knows we needed it this year. In the final game against the Jets I think we had 9 or 10 starters on O and D missing.

Mario might be trade-able if he would redo his deal with a pay cut to go to the team that wants him. No one will take him at 19.9 in cap hit.

And I've been around long enough that "anybody is going to be better" is rarely the case. He had a bad year, but be careful what you wish for.

sukie
01-08-2016, 06:31 AM

Draft that kicker out of Florida State... He set records for accuracy Sick numbers, something like 29 of 29 from 40... don't know his name but the K position will never again appear on these pages for over a decade.

k-oneputt
01-08-2016, 06:42 AM
Whaley has a reputation for identifying D talents, so this is right in his alley, eh?

I think Dareus is at his best playing end in 3-4. If he has to play NT, better use 1 gap system. At end, you may see more of the pass rush he showed in the last Jets' game where he forced the Lawson pick. One gap NT without pass rushing skills is easier to find.

I have a feeling the 1st rd. pick could be one of the Alabama d-linemen, A. Robinson or J. Reed.

DesertFox24
01-08-2016, 07:32 AM

Releasing Mario should give space for OL.

I am hoping not as many injuries and familiarity from coaches and players helps a lot. Draft is very important and cheaper vet FA.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Draft that kicker out of Florida State... He set records for accuracy Sick numbers, something like 29 of 29 from 40... don't know his name but the K position will never again appear on these pages for over a decade.

Roberto Aguayo. never missed an XP in college (only the 12th player to ever do that). This was by far his worst year and he was 20 of 24 with a long of 51. Draft him in the 3rd or 4th round and be done with it. We wont have to worry about kickers again for a long long time.

sukie
01-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Roberto Aguayo. never missed an XP in college (only the 12th player to ever do that). This was by far his worst year and he was 20 of 24 with a long of 51. Draft him in the 3rd or 4th round and be done with it. We wont have to worry about kickers again for a long long time.

I bet he is gone well before the third especially with the longer extra point in play.

YardRat
01-08-2016, 05:53 PM
I'm not a Carpenter-hater by any means, I actually like the guy. But, if you are going to carry two kickers and feature an offense that isn't built to light up a scoreboard the FG/XP K needs to be top 5 in FG and XP %, and the KOS in touchbacks. Points are too precious to waste.

MillsapsBillsFan
01-09-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm not a Carpenter-hater by any means, I actually like the guy. But, if you are going to carry two kickers and feature an offense that isn't built to light up a scoreboard the FG/XP K needs to be top 5 in FG and XP %, and the KOS in touchbacks. Points are too precious to waste.

Exactly. For an offense like ours we have to be able to be confident in our ability to get points at whatever chance. A kick is the only play where every single time you either get points or you dont, I dont dislike Carpenter but we need an upgrade

X-Era
01-09-2016, 09:09 AM
That's exactly it. Especially for a team that has so many close games. His XP% was sub-par and if you want to be a playoff team you need at least average.

X-Era
01-09-2016, 09:11 AM
Exactly. For an offense like ours we have to be able to be confident in our ability to get points at whatever chance. A kick is the only play where every single time you either get points or you dont, I dont dislike Carpenter but we need an upgrade
And the bigger point is that he's a kicker. It's not that hard to find one who will at least be average; nor expensive.

stuckincincy
01-09-2016, 01:27 PM
That's assuming that a decent level of talent currently exists on the bench, which I'm not sure is a good argument when we're talking about guys like Kraig Urbik, Jordan Mills, and Chris Hogan all seeing lots of snaps as depth guys.

True - it's a problem for them.

jamze132
01-11-2016, 05:43 AM
I don't see 7 holes, I see 3. Mario, Bradham, and Carpenter is all are let go. All other positions have a starter returning.

We may want to upgrade other spots but I don't look at them as holes.

As I said in my other thread, we're finally back to having to make tough choices. Teams up against the cap do that. I'm alright with it.

Preston Brown
Nigel Bradham
RG
RT
DE
K

Those are our glaring holes.

jamze132
01-11-2016, 05:47 AM
I know, we're probably playing the toughest 2 divisions in football next year. I think 10-6 is the ABSOLUTE ceiling we can expect without a superbowl capable squad. Anything more then that and you'd have to pencil us in as superbowl contenders. We'll probably be lucky to get to 8-8 again next year.

Lol 8-8 is a vaulted ceiling next season. Now we get Rex's freakshow to help come up with more stupid **** to run.

X-Era
01-12-2016, 04:14 AM
Preston Brown
Nigel Bradham
RG
RT
DE
K

Those are our glaring holes.IMO, glaring hole = position not currently filled with a returning starter

Preston Brown- Not a hole but I'd like this position upgraded
Nigel Bradham- Probably gone we need an upgrade
RG- Not a hole may need a backup to replace Urbik
RT- Not a hole yet unless Henderson is done and Mills walks but competition wouldn't be bad
DE- Mario is probably gone so we need a starter
K- I'd cut Carpenter and then this becomes a hole. We need an upgrade regardless