PDA

View Full Version : Yeah 8-8 or 9-7 again

DesertFox24
10-31-2016, 10:24 AM
Here we go again.

Ugh I guess it is time to focus on the draft especially after we lose on Monday night.

Unfortunately I think Rex is ride or die with Tyrod and that needs to change. I hope we do not pick up his option next year.

We need to draft a guy early and let him and Cardale compete for the job and bring in an experienced vet.

Other moves:
1. Resign Robert Woods he is really good run blocker and I think would be a great number 3, hopefully the deal is fair but if he wants crazy money let him go

2. Gilmore is gone - I say bring back Corey White and let him and Seymore compete for the starting job

3. DL - Resign Corbin Bryant draft a true NT to backup Marcel as no one else on this team can do that and Dareus needs a blow as well

4. WR - need to draft two and maybe sign one unless Greg Salas is actually good I will leave that up to coaches, he looked good in preseason and in two games last year

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm still not convinced we can get to my projected record of 6-10.

1 - If I was Woods I wouldn't sign here unless the Bills highly overpaid me. He's better than we allow him to be.

2 - I'm happy letting Gilmore walk unless he significantly lowers his asking price.

3 - Agreed.

4 - I think we have more pressing needs besides WR only because of the style of football we play and how crappy our QB is.

sukie
10-31-2016, 10:31 AM
I'm still not convinced we can get to my projected record of 6-10.

1 - If I was Woods I wouldn't sign here unless the Bills highly overpaid me. He's better than we allow him to be.

2 - I'm happy letting Gilmore walk unless he significantly lowers his asking price.

3 - Agreed.

4 - I think we have more pressing needs besides WR only because of the style of football we play and how crappy our QB is.

is the style of football determined by crappy WR and a meh B?

OpIv37
10-31-2016, 10:41 AM
Seahawks, Bengals and Steelers are losses.

Browns and Jags should be wins.

Jets, Dolphins and Raiders are toss-ups. None are that great but the Raiders are a WC road trip and the other two have already proven they can beat us. I'm gonna say we go 1-2 in those games.

7-9.

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2016, 10:41 AM
is the style of football determined by crappy WR and a meh B?

I think it's a combination of the offensive gameplan/play calling and a below average QB.
The fact that we lose whenever we rely on Tyrod's arm tells me it's on him. Even last year when Sammy was tearing up the league for the last 8 games of the year, Tyrod only averaged 220 yards per game, threw 10 TDs in 8 games (even with 2 games where he threw 3 Tds each), and we went 4-4. Big whoop. We had a stud WR and our QB was still average and we went 0.500. That's with a healthy Woods, too.

EDS
10-31-2016, 12:44 PM
The good news is that the Bills do have ready made replacement for Alexander and Z. Brown for next season, so they will just need additional linebacker depth.

I could see the Bills going in a different direction with WR, likely with a receiver with upside and size - trying to hedge against future injuries for Watkins.

IlluminatusUIUC
10-31-2016, 12:57 PM

He's not that great, but being on the most run-heavy offense this side of 1985 is going to cut into his numbers. No question.

Joe Fo Sho
10-31-2016, 01:56 PM
He's not that great, but being on the most run-heavy offense this side of 1985 is going to cut into his numbers. No question.
Yeah, he's definitely not an all-star, but I think he's better than the 50 catches, 600 yards, and 3 TDs that he has averaged while he's been here. Especially on a team with a capable QB.

Victor7
10-31-2016, 03:13 PM
at Seattle ... L
at Cincy .... L
Jax ..... W
at Raiders .... L
Pitt .... L ? If Ben doesn't play we should win
Browns .... W
Fins .... W
at Jets .... W

There are no certain wins for this freaking team but there are certain losses. I'd say visiting Seattle is for sure a certain loss. I can't imagine a world in which we beat both Cincy and the Raiders on the road. In fact I think we drop both. But maybe we miraculously win one of those although I'd give this scenario a 15% chance of happening. The Pitt game is entirely dependent on whether Big Ben plays or not. We should be able to take care of Miami, Jets, Browns and Jags. Key word should. I also won't be shocked if we lose one (or more) of those.

So realistically our ceiling if we play lights out is 10-6. Our floor (likeliest scenario) is 6-10. So as usual we'll end up in between with another uneventful 8-8

Book those vacations for January dudes. We won't be watching post season ball as usual.

DesertFox24
10-31-2016, 03:50 PM
The one thing I will say is Cincy is not playing like they have in the past. We also have a bye before we play them and the week we play they play Monday night. In other words they have 6 days of rest and prep for us. If we can get Woods, Clay, and Shady back i think we have a real shot there.

kingJofNYC
10-31-2016, 03:51 PM
I can see Woods going to the Pats. They really liked him predraft, he's a perfect player for them. Run block hard, good route running in short areas, they'd use him better than we do.

Ed
10-31-2016, 04:38 PM
The one thing I will say is Cincy is not playing like they have in the past. We also have a bye before we play them and the week we play they play Monday night. In other words they have 6 days of rest and prep for us. If we can get Woods, Clay, and Shady back i think we have a real shot there.
Yeah, I don't understand why people think the Bengals are an automatic loss. They're struggling to score points on offense and their defense is below average. Maybe something will change over the next couple weeks for them, but they're just not a very good team right now. As long as the Bills can get healthier on offense, their's no reason they can't compete. I see this game as a 50-50 toss up right now. A part from the home games against the Browns and Jags, I think I like their chances in this game the best.

The Fins and Jets are the last two games of the year, so who knows what kind of situation the Bills or either of them will be in.

I don't really know what to make of the Steelers. They should have Big Ben back soon, but they've always been a pretty average road team under Tomlin for some reason. Another game that's still a ways out, so hopefully the Bills are getting closer to full strength by then. Watkins could even be playing. Who knows.

The Bills just lost to the best team in the league with a depleted offense, so I'm not going to act like the sky is falling and they can't beat anyone, but an 8 or 9 win season and no playoffs looks likely right now. That dolphin loss was a real let down and big blow to any playoff chances. With the AFC West looking so strong, I don't think 10-6 would even be good enough to get in.

Mace
10-31-2016, 05:49 PM
I think it's a combination of the offensive gameplan/play calling and a below average QB.

It's simply he offensive philosophy directed by the HC. Ryan is all about running game, he says it often. That's why he always gets pantsed when games become a passing contest. His defense wasn't supposed to let that happen and it surely won't next game because he says so.

paladin warrior
10-31-2016, 06:10 PM
or Maybe 6-10

Novacane
10-31-2016, 06:30 PM
They'll beat Cincy then make up for it by losing to the Browns. That's how the Bills roll.

Turf
10-31-2016, 11:10 PM
And Russ rolls on. Let see, what do we do next year. Hmmmmm....Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok,...we sign a BIG FA WR!!!!! Yeah yeah, that's the ticket! Get everyone excited about Sammy, Woods, and big FA WR. Sell tickets, tickets, tickets, Wapner at 5....The circus continues while Terry sleeps.

SpikedLemonade
10-31-2016, 11:53 PM
7-9

trapezeus
11-01-2016, 08:01 AM
8-8 will require a big run at the end which will not doubt be irritating as they do it. this team was a 3-5 team win in my mind. they over performed thanks to their 4 win run. but based on their body language by the 3rd quarter, there is a lot of quit in this team. if they lose to jax, the wheels will come off. but 8-8 will perpetually screw us and that's been the way it goes.

Buffalogic
11-01-2016, 09:46 AM
Listen, no team in the NFL can beat the pats with their top 4 receivers out and their top RB. Just won't happen.

Give these guys a break. Yeah the last two weeks sucked, but really, it was obvious we were probably going to lose these games.

If we suck at full strength that's one thing. But this latest suckage is definitely due to the injuries on offense.

trapezeus
11-01-2016, 10:53 AM
it was not obvious that we'd lose to the freaking dolphins when we already had the lead. and the 4 wins relied on a high school run program. I wouldn't believe too much in this team.

TacklingDummy
11-01-2016, 01:12 PM
We are not going to win another game this year, Book it.

OpIv37
11-01-2016, 01:19 PM
Listen, no team in the NFL can beat the pats with their top 4 receivers out and their top RB. Just won't happen.

Give these guys a break. Yeah the last two weeks sucked, but really, it was obvious we were probably going to lose these games.

If we suck at full strength that's one thing. But this latest suckage is definitely due to the injuries on offense.

The Patriots, I'll give you.

But losing to the Dolphins was far from obvious. We had the lead in the 3rd quarter.

As far as injuries, yes, they are definitely affecting the team. But why do you think they are going to stop? Aaron Williams went on IR today. Sammy may not make it back this season. It's going to get worse on the injury front, not better.

Buffalogic
11-01-2016, 01:28 PM
Yeah if the injuries keep piling up, we aren't going anywhere, obviously. I'm just trying to dispel the notion that this is a crappy team at full strength, because it is not.

OpIv37
11-01-2016, 01:31 PM
Yeah if the injuries keep piling up, we aren't going anywhere, obviously. I'm just trying to dispel the notion that this is a crappy team at full strength, because it is not.
But we will never be full strength. We went into game 1 with no McCoy, Dareus, Lawson, or Ragland and Sammy playing hurt.

Buffalogic
11-01-2016, 01:33 PM
But we will never be full strength. We went into game 1 with no McCoy, Dareus, Lawson, or Ragland and Sammy playing hurt.
Isn't that the ***** of it all? Every year, same story. Half the team is dead. I think it is hard to evaluate coaches and GM's when they are playing a ridiculous amount of backups on the front lines.

Joe Fo Sho
11-01-2016, 01:34 PM
All teams have to deal with injuries. No one really cares how good the team is when everyone is healthy when that's never the case.

Buffalogic
11-01-2016, 01:39 PM
All teams have to deal with injuries. No one really cares how good the team is when everyone is healthy when that's never the case.
There's different degrees of injuries though. I mean, the bills and chargers have just been crazy devastated this year.

It's one thing having mid season owies versus these guys just not playing for weeks on end. Two of our top 3 remaining receivers were signed in the last month. Every starting skill position was either out or hobbled coming off an injury (Woods) last week. That's wild.

Joe Fo Sho
11-01-2016, 01:56 PM
There's different degrees of injuries though. I mean, the bills and chargers have just been crazy devastated this year.
It's one thing having mid season owies versus these guys just not playing for weeks on end. Two of our top 3 remaining receivers were signed in the last month. Every starting skill position was either out or hobbled coming off an injury (Woods) last week. That's wild.
But our passing game was as bad as it always is, even when we have healthy WRs. Tyrod threw for 183 yards last week, he's averaged 185 yards passing per game this year. We ran for 167 yards last week, we've averaged 155 rushing yards per game this year. That's right, our offense (even with how badly they performed) had a 'better than average' game last week. Garbage.

It doesn't matter who we plug in, we can run the ball very well but can't throw it well. Even when Sammy was healthy last year, our passing attack was not better than run of the mill.

Buffalogic
11-01-2016, 02:04 PM
But our passing game was as bad as it always is, even when we have healthy WRs. Tyrod threw for 183 yards last week, he's averaged 185 yards passing per game this year. We ran for 167 yards last week, we've averaged 155 rushing yards per game this year. That's right, our offense (even with how badly they performed) had a 'better than average' game last week. Garbage.

It doesn't matter who we plug in, we can run the ball very well but can't throw it well. Even when Sammy was healthy last year, our passing attack was not better than run of the mill.We will never have gaudy passing stats because this is a balanced offense. To get a more accurate picture you have basically have to consider Tyrod's rushing numbers like passing yards. Tyrod has done a pretty decent job with how little he has had this season. But, he will not get the benefit. If we don't make the playoffs and he doesn't agree to a restructure, he's gone.

Joe Fo Sho
11-01-2016, 02:33 PM
We will never have gaudy passing stats because this is a balanced offense. To get a more accurate picture you have basically have to consider Tyrod's rushing numbers like passing yards.
If we consider Tyrod's rushing yards like passing yards, then our run game stats that everyone brags about go right into the dumps.

Tyrod has done a pretty decent job with how little he has had this season. But, he will not get the benefit.
Tyrod has done nothing to prove he's worth what we're trying to pay him. He won't get the benefit because he doesn't deserve it.

If we don't make the playoffs and he doesn't agree to a restructure, he's gone.
That's the best news I've heard all day. I'd rather start over at the QB position than watch his boring style of football. Someone who shakes and bakes so much should not put me to sleep like he does. I'm not sure the front office feels the same way I do.

trapezeus
11-01-2016, 04:42 PM
I agree with Joe Fo Sho's assessment of the team. It is a bad team with poor leadership. this is not an injury issue on why we are this bad. but I disagree that TT isn't worth his contract. he would be rated the 20th most expensive QB. and over 5 years, it will be more advantageous. I think you will have to keep him for another 2 years given how depleted the bills qb development is. cardale is not a sure thing to be competent. inside one-bills drive is that he isn't getting it. EJ clearly is gone. you can't go into next year with cardale. you'll need to draft a guy and you need him to be free of starting. just have tt and cardale shift through games. then ultimately, the following year, the draftee can take the reigns and the team can still have a decent D.