PDA

View Full Version : Is it contractually feasible to hit the reset button on Tyrod?

Oaf
12-13-2016, 07:54 PM
2016 was a prove it year. He didn't quite prove he's worth $20-25M/yr, but he also is still a Year 2 QB with comparable Y1/Y2 production to many greats.

Obviously if we don't pick up the option, Tyrod is free to go where he's in demand. But I wonder if we value him most. We could offer a very similar deal for Y3. Decent compensation, huge upside if he gets over the hump, or walk away after the year. Then bring in another arm to compete via draft or Hoyer/etc.

Totally unpractical?

Mace
12-13-2016, 08:07 PM
2016 was a prove it year. He didn't quite prove he's worth $20-25M/yr, but he also is still a Year 2 QB with comparable Y1/Y2 production to many greats.

Obviously if we don't pick up the option, Tyrod is free to go where he's in demand. But I wonder if we value him most. We could offer a very similar deal for Y3. Decent compensation, huge upside if he gets over the hump, or walk away after the year. Then bring in another arm to compete via draft or Hoyer/etc.

Totally unpractical?

No. I've seen it mentioned in the media. It might be the only way to go to avoid complete wreckage depending on what happens with coaching staff.

Is anyone going to pay him quality starter money ? Dunno. If they do it's their issue. He's an adequate placeholder if people lose their make pretend idea this team is a contender. He's an even better backup QB option. He's a lot more tolerable imho on prove it deals if we keep the same offense and we don't have better. Then, well, whatever, sure.

If for some reason we go to a pocket QB passing oriented offense though, forget it.

TacklingDummy
12-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Give him an incentive based Touchdown passing contract.

Force him to throw the ball.

Mace
12-13-2016, 08:53 PM
Give him an incentive based Touchdown passing contract.

Force him to throw the ball.

Haha ! Good one.

Ingtar33
12-14-2016, 12:47 AM

Totally unpractical?

I am 100% certain that if we cut Tyrod lose someone will give him 20 mil/year min.

Because that's what a mid level QB in the NFL makes. In fact when his extension activates, he'll become the 13th highest paid NFL QB in the league, and just a little bit over 2mil/year more then no.23.

And you'll have to pay Jay Cutler or Tony Romo (min) AT LEAST 20-25mil/year to bring them in here.

Mr. Pink
12-14-2016, 12:52 AM
I am 100% certain that if we cut Tyrod lose someone will give him 20 mil/year min.

Because that's what a mid level QB in the NFL makes. In fact when his extension activates, he'll become the 13th highest paid NFL QB in the league, and just a little bit over 2mil/year more then no.23.

And you'll have to pay Jay Cutler or Tony Romo (min) AT LEAST 20-25mil/year to bring them in here.

And they'll actually throw the ball! *gasp*

Ingtar33
12-14-2016, 01:02 AM
And they'll actually throw the ball! *gasp*

I'm just saying that Tyrod won't be overpaid (much) if the bills pick up the option on his contract.

Romo only "throws" the ball on the sidelines. It's basically been 3 years since he's been healthy. And Cutler hasn't played 16 games in an NFL season in 7 years; his first season in Chicago. Furthermore, Cutler is the very image of mediocre; he's basically a modern day Jeff George, great arm, brain dead, team killing personality. While I don't have a serious issues with Romo as a QB, I do have an issue with his health. He's suffered a number of basically career ending injuries in the past couple of seasons. that broken collar bone has happened 2 times now. I don't believe he'll ever finish another NFL season, and think he's basically one more injury away from retirement.

So where are we getting a QB to replace tyrod? If you want cutler, you're gambling jay doesn't kill the locker room in 1 season, and you shouldn't have any plans of having him longer then 3 seasons. If you are gambling romo, well, I don't know what to tell you. The man needs to retire, his body can't do it any more. I'd almost feel like I was taking part in crippling the man for life if I advocated the bills sign him.

So what are we supposed to do at QB? I don't think there is any QB in college worth a 3rd round pick this year, let alone a 1st. That includes Chad Kelly.

Luisito23
12-14-2016, 01:35 AM
I don't want, nor need to see anything else from Taylor to hit any kind of "reset" button...

I'd much rather start the season with an unproven, but not scared rookie, than to see that pussy throw check downs and sideline ducks.

YardRat
12-14-2016, 05:10 AM
It's certainly doable, but do we really want to? I say no.

justasportsfan
12-14-2016, 09:10 AM

At the rate he's going, I'll let them have him and use the $$$ to bring in offensive linemen to protect the rookie we're drafting and the vet we're bringing in.

THATHURMANATOR
12-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Ingtar

What are your thoughts on Garrapolo?

Would it feasible to trade for him?

The Jokeman
12-14-2016, 09:49 AM

The problem with Tyrod's extension is more about the amount the length and terms. If your bring in Romo or Cutler it's likely going to only be a one or two year deal.

The Jokeman
12-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Ingtar

What are your thoughts on Garrapolo?

Would it feasible to trade for him?

Just say no, let the Browns make that mistake. If the Patriots truly felt he was going to be a long term answer they'd keep him. As I can't see Brady playing more than two or more seasons.

Victor7
12-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Doubt Taylor would restructure or sign back with us if we were to release him and try to get him again cheaper.

And

Even if that were doable I really don't see the point. The book on him is out and it ain't pretty. He didn't improve from year 1 to year 2. In fact he undoubtedly got worse. No reason to believe he'll suddenly start getting better.

Time to move on.

BertSquirtgum
12-14-2016, 12:01 PM

Hopefully

Mr. Pink
12-14-2016, 01:03 PM
I'm just saying that Tyrod won't be overpaid (much) if the bills pick up the option on his contract.

Romo only "throws" the ball on the sidelines. It's basically been 3 years since he's been healthy. And Cutler hasn't played 16 games in an NFL season in 7 years; his first season in Chicago. Furthermore, Cutler is the very image of mediocre; he's basically a modern day Jeff George, great arm, brain dead, team killing personality. While I don't have a serious issues with Romo as a QB, I do have an issue with his health. He's suffered a number of basically career ending injuries in the past couple of seasons. that broken collar bone has happened 2 times now. I don't believe he'll ever finish another NFL season, and think he's basically one more injury away from retirement.

So where are we getting a QB to replace tyrod? If you want cutler, you're gambling jay doesn't kill the locker room in 1 season, and you shouldn't have any plans of having him longer then 3 seasons. If you are gambling romo, well, I don't know what to tell you. The man needs to retire, his body can't do it any more. I'd almost feel like I was taking part in crippling the man for life if I advocated the bills sign him.

So what are we supposed to do at QB? I don't think there is any QB in college worth a 3rd round pick this year, let alone a 1st. That includes Chad Kelly.

Agree on Cutler. Billion dollar arm, ten cent brain. A few cents more than what George had, but not enough for a long term solution. Cutler is long in the tooth at this point anyway so you're just looking at a 2-3 year guy while you draft his replacement. Hitting that replacement is something I don't have confidence in this front office actually doing however. But, at least we'll get a year or two of legitimate playoff caliber football, if the rest of the roster looks largely the same.

Romo uses the whole field, but again we're looking at a guy who's 2 years at best. Which is what we're doing with a stopgap anyway. Again, he'd make the team a legitimate playoff contender for a year or two. He would also make a lot of use out of Charles Clay, since Jason Witten was his favorite target before Dez exploded on the scene.

I don't see either QB coming here though, to be frankly honest. We're in the midst of a 17 year playoff drought. Both of these guys are old and likely want to win before they retire. A team like Denver is a way more attractive situation for either of these guys.

A more Bills type signing would end up being Brian Hoyer. He's not flashy but has shown some signs of success in the short stints he's been allowed or healthy enough to play. He was even pretty successful for the Browns. He's also a guy who'd be willing to be a short term deal stop gap QB.

The only QB I'd be willing to gamble on in the 3rd would be Luke Falk out of Washington State. Not having a 4th makes it tough as Falk/Kelly are likely more 4th round QBs and we don't have one of those.

I have nothing against running QBs, Vick was entertaining while making bonehead plays from time, Kaep was entertaining in his first few years while making a few bonehead plays. Thing is those two guys actually used the entire field. Those two guys weren't afraid of throwing the ball 20 yards over the middle. Those guys didn't dictate that defenses could load up the box every single play with no worry that the QB can't do anything with his arm to beat you.

Honestly, I don't see how any team would give Tyrod 20m a year. I don't see a team that would be willing to make him their starting QB. You have to be able to throw the ball in this league to win and Tyrod has proven he can't do that anywhere near consistently nor effectively.

The Jokeman
12-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Agree on Cutler. Billion dollar arm, ten cent brain. A few cents more than what George had, but not enough for a long term solution. Cutler is long in the tooth at this point anyway so you're just looking at a 2-3 year guy while you draft his replacement. Hitting that replacement is something I don't have confidence in this front office actually doing however. But, at least we'll get a year or two of legitimate playoff caliber football, if the rest of the roster looks largely the same.

Romo uses the whole field, but again we're looking at a guy who's 2 years at best. Which is what we're doing with a stopgap anyway. Again, he'd make the team a legitimate playoff contender for a year or two. He would also make a lot of use out of Charles Clay, since Jason Witten was his favorite target before Dez exploded on the scene.

I don't see either QB coming here though, to be frankly honest. We're in the midst of a 17 year playoff drought. Both of these guys are old and likely want to win before they retire. A team like Denver is a way more attractive situation for either of these guys.

A more Bills type signing would end up being Brian Hoyer. He's not flashy but has shown some signs of success in the short stints he's been allowed or healthy enough to play. He was even pretty successful for the Browns. He's also a guy who'd be willing to be a short term deal stop gap QB.

The only QB I'd be willing to gamble on in the 3rd would be Luke Falk out of Washington State. Not having a 4th makes it tough as Falk/Kelly are likely more 4th round QBs and we don't have one of those.

I have nothing against running QBs, Vick was entertaining while making bonehead plays from time, Kaep was entertaining in his first few years while making a few bonehead plays. Thing is those two guys actually used the entire field. Those two guys weren't afraid of throwing the ball 20 yards over the middle. Those guys didn't dictate that defenses could load up the box every single play with no worry that the QB can't do anything with his arm to beat you.

Honestly, I don't see how any team would give Tyrod 20m a year. I don't see a team that would be willing to make him their starting QB. You have to be able to throw the ball in this league to win and Tyrod has proven he can't do that anywhere near consistently nor effectively.
Cutler has to know he only has a few years left so why not join us for his final contract if means he can also start? In terms of Tyrod, I've mentioned before but could see him getting a good contract (not $20 million good though) from Denver (since they're like the 2013 version of the Bills) in that they don't have a lot of money tied into the QB position and could use a veteran and toss in Kubiak liked what he saw of Tyrod in Baltimore.

Mr. Pink
12-14-2016, 01:12 PM
Cutler has to know he only has a few years left so why not join us for his final contract if means he can also start? In terms of Tyrod, I've mentioned before but could see him getting a good contract (not $20 million good though) from Denver (since they're like the 2013 version of the Bills) in that they don't have a lot of money tied into the QB position and could use a veteran and toss in Kubiak liked what he saw of Tyrod in Baltimore.

If you're Denver and your choices are Cutler, Romo, Tyrod all of them for 15-20m per season...which QB would you more likely take?

You're a team that has two standout WRs who count 22m against the cap who will get PO'd that they're not seeing the ball as much anymore if you go with Tyrod.

The Jokeman
12-14-2016, 01:16 PM
If you're Denver and your choices are Cutler, Romo, Tyrod all of them for 15-20m per season...which QB would you more likely take?

You're a team that has two standout WRs who count 22m against the cap who will get PO'd that they're not seeing the ball as much anymore if you go with Tyrod.

Cutler has ties to Denver so can't see him returning there, Romo is obviously a better choice than Tyrod but I don't know their cap situation or if Elway would want to give up a pick to get him.