PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from the scrimmage, few things i noticed

cordog
08-02-2003, 02:58 PM
heres a few things i noticed at the scrimmage

D looks GOOOD!!

Coy Wire didnt suit up today. Im not sure why if he has a little injury or what

Ryan Denney played with the first unit and looked solid, he had a nice sack on Couch and had another coverage sack later on.

Ron Edwards played with the 2nd defensive unit which took on the Brown's 1st offense and looked really good. Did a good job of clogging the middle and stopping the run and i believe had a sack. He really suprised me today

You can tell the difference in London Fletcher. He has the talent around him this year and was able to do his job. He was roaming around the field and made some really great plays against the run.

Jeff Posey looks like the real deal. He was doing alot of blitzing and teamed up with London for some great plays against the run. It seemed like London and Posey were in the backfield for every run play.

The D was alot of fun to watch, especially their blitzing schemes. You saw Posey and Spikes both coming up to the line and blitzing.

The 1st offense looked good. They moved the ball efficiently against the Browns. Bledsoe had one int. It looked like Moulds and him had a miscommunication, Moulds ran an out and Bledsoe thought it was suppose to be a post. But i guess thats what the scrimmage is for. Reed had some nice catches today and I was supprised with Coleman. He had a really nice grab with 3 defenders around him.

All in all today just intensified my excitement for the upcoming season. From what i saw today, we are gonna be in for a fun season

ArcticWildMan
08-02-2003, 03:06 PM
:up: Thanks for the report!! IMO, these kind of reports are 10X better than the homer reports we read in the papers or in the sporting mags.

Captain gameboy
08-02-2003, 03:08 PM
What's up with Posey?
I'm away from the snap to snap, but I haven't heard a bad word yet.
Is he the guy who feeds off the other talent and takes us over the top?

shelby
08-02-2003, 03:12 PM
i need info on Wire!
:wail:

cordog
08-02-2003, 03:15 PM
Yeah Posey is for real. There shouldnt be any worry aobut this guy. He put some legit pressure on the QB, and did a spectacular job against the run. I was really impressed.

Captain gameboy
08-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by shelby
i need info on Wire!
What kind of info? I thought you were committed, (not in a clinical sense).

Doc
08-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Any word/thoughts on why Jones wasn't starting? Precautionary?

TypicalBill
08-02-2003, 03:37 PM
Awesome report Cordog!!! :up: :cheers:

Thanks man.... i was wondering have you watched Shaw, Aiken or Jett play? if so, who stood out and if you remember a nice play that they did.

Originally posted by shelby
i need info on Wire!

he's not injured, the coaches wanted to rest him today so he didn't play..

shelby
08-02-2003, 03:43 PM
:phew:

Thanks TB.

:lol: gameboy....even if i weren't taken, i'd be too old for Wire.
i admire his commitment and ambition...i think he's going to be a great ss.

Captain gameboy
08-02-2003, 03:49 PM
I think you look far younger, and better, than he deserves, but if that's your view. OK.

cordog
08-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Shaw looked pretty good today, Jett was in there but i dont think he had any catches or anything. I dont remember Aiken doing anything spectacular today. Jones played with the 3rd defensive unit. He played pretty well. He broke up a pass play and looked pretty good coming off the end. I believe the coaches are just taking it easy on him and want to limit his reps right now. Honestly though, I was so impressed with Ryan Denney today that i wasnt paying too much attention when Jones was in. He was quick off the corner and seemed to be right around the QB quite a bit.

Earthquake Enyart
08-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Any special teams plays today? Who ran back kicks?

cordog
08-02-2003, 03:55 PM
No they didnt do any special teams work. All they did was bring in the fiel goal units to face eachother before the game. I think lindell missed one out of probably 10

TypicalBill
08-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by cordog
Shaw looked pretty good today, Jett was in there but i dont think he had any catches or anything. I dont remember Aiken doing anything spectacular today. Jones played with the 3rd defensive unit. He played pretty well. He broke up a pass play and looked pretty good coming off the end. I believe the coaches are just taking it easy on him and want to limit his reps right now. Honestly though, I was so impressed with Ryan Denney today that i wasnt paying too much attention when Jones was in. He was quick off the corner and seemed to be right around the QB quite a bit.

excellent, glad to hear that Denney is developing

Novacane
08-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Maybe Denny will not be a bust after all. THats good to hear he is improving

Jan Reimers
08-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Great report. I saw Edwards listed at 320, which is bigger than in the past. It'll be great if both he and Denney make major contributions this year.

ublinkwescore
08-02-2003, 06:23 PM
We are gonna kick some Dolphin and Patsy @$$ this year!!

I can't wait.

Cntrygal
08-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks cordog!!! :up:

Throne Logic
08-02-2003, 10:54 PM
I've been pulling for Denney since last season ended. I hope he can continue to build on this initial success this year.

My worry: The offense, unfortunately, appears to have picked up where it left off last year. I hear about a long pass to moulds that catches the defense napping. Then I hear about the INT in the Red Zone killing the drive. Just like last year. Score on the rare big play and later screw up an otherwise beautiful drive with a stupid forced pass in the Red Zone. For those who are about to jump to Drew's rescue, he clearly stated that he screwed up by forcing this throw. This MUST stop. Nothing takes the wind out the team's sails more than a wonderful drive ending with a TO in the Red Zone. Evidence? Well, the next series they went 3 and out this afternoon. I'm still worried.

MDFINFAN
08-02-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
We are gonna kick some Dolphin and Patsy @$$ this year!!

I can't wait.

What he didn't post was the TD's the browns got against you..

Briefs: Browns' fans prefer backup QB (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6514969)

and when you finish reading about what the QB's did, scroll down to the end of the article and check out the Dolpins Titians scrimage..

I was hoping to get more details about your scrimage and this was more a homer type report, not trying to insult the poster, but you kind of want to know the whole story...somebody had to have a bad day, everything wasn't all roses for heaven's sake, this was the first scrimage, something needed improvement. BTW, the titians did score 1 TD on our 4th string.

Throne Logic
08-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Hey 'Fin, read my post again. I tend to be pretty objective.

MDFINFAN
08-02-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
Hey 'Fin, read my post again. I tend to be pretty objective.

Okay, I read it again, still didn't see any mention of the Browns scoring or how, if the Bills score and how. If there was some areas that needed improvement. It seem more of a feel good report. Again, I'm not trying to insult you, but for people who weren't there, there's a lot of info missing. How did Travis Henry look. Other than the big plays, what about the running game? That was a big emphasis this offseason. Did you guys run consistently or were you just working on the passing game? Things like that will help give a better idea of what the team was trying to accomplish today. Did you D completely shut down the run, and is that why you blitz so much, because the browns had to pass? What were the weak areas to you, and what were the strong areas other than the deep ball?

Throne Logic
08-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Sorry, my info is pretty much a gathered jumble of second and third hand reports. I just see a lot of similarities to last year. Only, this year, the D appears to be able to shut down the run. Again, I'm basing this on second-hand info. But even the Brown's fans / media admitted they couldn't do much against Buffalo's first string D. Take it for what it's worth, I guess.

Throne Logic
08-02-2003, 11:56 PM
BTW, how did Miami's receiving Corp look? What with the injuries, there should be some good opportunities for the "other" guys. Also a bit curious about how Junior is fitting in.

MDFINFAN
08-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Throne Logic
BTW, how did Miami's receiving Corp look? What with the injuries, there should be some good opportunities for the "other" guys. Also a bit curious about how Junior is fitting in.

Throne, I wasn't really referring to your report, I was reading the original post in this thread, didn't realize it wasn't you until I reread who started it..Sorry about that...

As far as the Miami WR's today, Wow, just Wow, I don't know who we will cut, but Wow.

Here's an article you can read about them..From McKnight, Derrius Thompson, JR Tolver, Sam Simmon, especially him today, to Robert Baker, Cris Jackson, Margie Hooks, to our TE's Randy McMicheal, Lee Donaldson..they were fantastic today.
Chambers sat out, and you know OG is out for awhile.

PS you have to scroll to the bottom to read it.

Browns' fans prefer backup QB (http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6514969)

Tatonka
08-03-2003, 12:35 AM
i have read other reports that kelsay was doing well too.. can you imagine if kelsay, denny, and jones all worked out.. td would look pretty smart.

ublinkwescore
08-03-2003, 09:51 AM
TD IS smart.

That's why he frontloads some players contracts, and makes others have to stick around to get paid - this was done so that we can keep a core for our team intact - unlike the dumb @$$ Raiders who had to gut a good portion of their team this offseason because 1/2 the people on their roster were set to take a major payday this season given the way that they wrote out their contracts.

With TD (as long as things keep going his way) we should be able to stay competitive for a very long time - and WE WILL BE COMPETITIVE THIS YEAR (barring injury).

Kelly The Dog
08-03-2003, 10:07 AM
I totally fear Margie Hooks. She is much, much better than Marge Simpson.

TigerJ
08-03-2003, 06:46 PM
For MDFinfan's benefit, I understand all the scoring on both sides were in contrived goal line and or redzone situations. Two Browns TDs were the result of questionable calls. Kevin Johnson appeared to have come down out of bounds, and a Browns' RB appeared to be short of the goal line, but both counted for TDs. Bear in mind that I saw none of this. It was only in media reports.

As I understand it, and this is from Browns media, the Browns absolutely could not run or stop the run all day on drives. Translation: the Bills did both.

While things went pretty well overall, it's clear DB still has to take better care of the ball, tossing an int. deep in Cleveland territory on a drive, and the Bills overall have to do a better job in redzone offence and goal line situations.

RedEyE
08-03-2003, 07:56 PM
These scrimmages aren't about winnning or losing. Everyone and everything is being analyzed and really no one is really concerned with a scoring outcome. Scores are only kept to mimic the true structure of the game. It's more about grasping team cohesion, analyzing players and plays, and finding ways to fill unfilled positions. Cordog delivered everything pertinent to the scrimmage. The game doesn't count so the score and scoring is completely unecessary. I can remember in Marv's coaching days that the Bills lost most of their preseason games only to dominate in the regular season. Cordog delivered everything I wanted to hear............

TigerJ
08-03-2003, 09:16 PM
I didn't come out and say it, but that was really my point, Redeye. On drives, judging from the Cleveland media, I don't think the Browns really moved the ball well at all. In a real game the Browns would have struggled to get in a position to make those redzone plays. Buffalo's first team offence had more success moving the ball than did the Browns, hence the odds are they could have had more red zone opportunities in a real game than the Browns. In a real game both of the questionable calls that led to Brown touchdowns would have been reviewable and would have been overturned if the official's faux pas were as obvious as the D&C article made them seem. The bottom line is that none of the scoring plays for either team represented the successful conclusion to a drive, or any kind of natural occurence. The official set the ball on the 20 yard line or the five yard line depending on the situation the coaches wanted to work on (I don't know the actual placements) and said, OK, play. Hence, they really don't count.

Even scores in preseason games don't mean much. In a preseason game the score might be determined by which team has the best group of undrafted rookies who stand no chance of making the team, or which coach left his first stringers in longest. Too many times teams that went 4 - 0 in preseason ended up with poor regular season records, or vice versa, to take preseason scoring or win loss records very seriously.

RedEyE
08-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by TigerJ
I didn't come out and say it, but that was really my point, Redeye. On drives, judging from the Cleveland media, I don't think the Browns really moved the ball well at all. In a real game the Browns would have struggled to get in a position to make those redzone plays. Buffalo's first team offence had more success moving the ball than did the Browns, hence the odds are they could have had more red zone opportunities in a real game than the Browns. In a real game both of the questionable calls that led to Brown touchdowns would have been reviewable and would have been overturned if the official's faux pas were as obvious as the D&C article made them seem. The bottom line is that none of the scoring plays for either team represented the successful conclusion to a drive, or any kind of natural occurence. The official set the ball on the 20 yard line or the five yard line depending on the situation the coaches wanted to work on (I don't know the actual placements) and said, OK, play. Hence, they really don't count.

Even scores in preseason games don't mean much. In a preseason game the score might be determined by which team has the best group of undrafted rookies who stand no chance of making the team, or which coach left his first stringers in longest. Too many times teams that went 4 - 0 in preseason ended up with poor regular season records, or vice versa, to take preseason scoring or win loss records very seriously.

I agree with you TJ. I wasn't responding to your post earlier - it was really meant for a certain fin-fan. I agree with most of the things that you say on this board.

The_Philster
08-04-2003, 06:18 AM
I'm so ashamed of you, cordog...you never said anything about going. I could've PMed you my cell # and we could've met up. Did you get your tix in advance or at the gate?

Good report though. :up:
To add to it, Jett looks to be far down on the depth chart. We played 5 series apiece and he came in for a few plays at the end of the 5th. No passes thrown his way
As far as Marcus Jones, he was out running before the rest of the team came out and appeared to be a little hesitant to do too much with his knee. Hopefully, he's over that hesitation after the scrimmage.
The one thing I found disturbing was the fact that the pass offense seemed to lose their rythym after the interception.

As far as the Cleveland QBs, Holcomb outplayed Couch with ease. Part of that was to do with facing the #2 D instead of the starters but later on, they brough in Couch against the 3rd teamers along with his second-team offense and he didn't fare too well.

Jan Reimers
08-04-2003, 06:38 AM
We'll want to keep Aiken, and with Coleman looking good, it's really going to be tough for Jett. Denney and Kelsay seem to be ahead of Jones at this point, but that may be due to Jones' knee. He better get healthy in a hurry, though, or the young guys are going to get way ahead of him.

TypicalBill
08-04-2003, 06:47 AM
i like the fact the Denney has shown some signs of developing... we better keep an eye on him. Some of the guys called him a bust cuz he couldn't do anything in his rookie season and i dont know how they could come to such a conclusion.... we know if a player is a bust if he doesn't perform in his 3rd year but rookie year??

BillsNick
08-04-2003, 09:36 AM
I think Denney could suprise everyone. Nobody has included him in their list of possible starters, and he could end up being just that. I said it before and I'll say it again, Posey is the real deal!!! He's gonna make alot of plays this year.

cordog
08-04-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by The_Philster
I'm so ashamed of you, cordog...you never said anything about going. I could've PMed you my cell # and we could've met up. Did you get your tix in advance or at the gate?

Good report though. :up:
To add to it, Jett looks to be far down on the depth chart. We played 5 series apiece and he came in for a few plays at the end of the 5th. No passes thrown his way
As far as Marcus Jones, he was out running before the rest of the team came out and appeared to be a little hesitant to do too much with his knee. Hopefully, he's over that hesitation after the scrimmage.
The one thing I found disturbing was the fact that the pass offense seemed to lose their rythym after the interception.

As far as the Cleveland QBs, Holcomb outplayed Couch with ease. Part of that was to do with facing the #2 D instead of the starters but later on, they brough in Couch against the 3rd teamers along with his second-team offense and he didn't fare too well.

Sorry there Phil, i didnt know you were going till i got back and read your thread. I sat over in 134, it was right on the 50 yd line. Where were you?

Doc
08-04-2003, 11:18 AM
Jones won't be cut. If it comes down to it, Irons is the goner.

cordog
08-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by RedEyE
These scrimmages aren't about winnning or losing. Everyone and everything is being analyzed and really no one is really concerned with a scoring outcome. Scores are only kept to mimic the true structure of the game. It's more about grasping team cohesion, analyzing players and plays, and finding ways to fill unfilled positions. Cordog delivered everything pertinent to the scrimmage. The game doesn't count so the score and scoring is completely unecessary. I can remember in Marv's coaching days that the Bills lost most of their preseason games only to dominate in the regular season. Cordog delivered everything I wanted to hear............

I feel the exact same way redeye. The scoring doesnt mean anything in this. This is just a way for the coaches to get a look at their players in a simulated game situation. But since the phin fan wants to hear about how the Browns scored on us, two of thier TDs came when they place the ball at the 2 for 3 plays. In reality they didnt move the ball on us at all when they had their 12 plays from their own 30

The_Philster
08-04-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by cordog
Sorry there Phil, i didnt know you were going till i got back and read your thread. I sat over in 134, it was right on the 50 yd line. Where were you?

127..in the corner of the endzone

HenryRules
08-04-2003, 06:04 PM
Philster, you said that the passing game lost its rhythm after the interception. I wasn't there, but from what I've read, it sounds like the interception was the last pass thrown by the first team - at the very least, Bledsoe never threw another incompletion ... did the first-stringers take a lot of sacks after the INT or did AVP just not get into a good flow with the team when he came in?

The_Philster
08-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Philster, you said that the passing game lost its rhythm after the interception. I wasn't there, but from what I've read, it sounds like the interception was the last pass thrown by the first team - at the very least, Bledsoe never threw another incompletion ... did the first-stringers take a lot of sacks after the INT or did AVP just not get into a good flow with the team when he came in?

There weren't many sacks against us but what I really mean is that before the interception, the offense seemed a lot more confident in the passing game. After that, even on the series with AVP, TB, and JJ, there just ddin't seem to be a real flow or rythym with the passing game. They seemed tentative.