PDA

View Full Version : Goodell needs to go

northernbillfan
01-04-2023, 09:25 AM
His handling of the game on Monday night is yet another example of how he only cares about money and profits for the owners.

McDermott and Taylor along with players reps from the NFLPA that halted the game. The players collectively said NO!

We are all hurting and some of us are angry yet something needs to be done about this POS commish. When the words on filed CPR were uttered by Joe Buck, this changed the whole situation yet Goodell didn't act at all. When the tears were streaming downs distraught players faces, Goodell was quiet. Yet he said "I made the decision to call the game" even though the players and coaches told him they would not go back on the field.

The entire sports world has shown support for our fallen brother. Yet he has made no official statement other than to talk about the game situation.

This is not misguided anger. This is a fact based rant posted after reading several news articles from many different sources. I'm pissed at him and you should be too.

Joe Fo Sho
01-04-2023, 10:07 AM
It was obvious that the game was going to be postponed 20 minutes before the public announcement was made.

What did Goodell do wrong and how do you know that's how he acted?

Goodell has performed way worse in the past than what's transpired over the last couple days, I don't have any issue with how the NFL acted on this.

Discotrish
01-04-2023, 10:21 AM
Far from criticizing their poor handling of things, I would go so far as to applaud them for the great job they did!

It's a huge job communicating with everyone involved in an event that big plus all the nuances that need to be discussed before you even make those calls. In light of that I think they did a great job of getting it done quickly.

Also I like that they didn't feel the need to announce how the future playing of the game (when/if) would be dealt with because that requires even more discussion and analysis.

And I don't particularly like Goodell, but I think the NFL brass did a great job here.

Night Train
01-04-2023, 10:21 AM
He's a press secretary for the owners... who just happens to make 48 Mil a year.

With all the $$ involved, the players safety and the state of mind of both rosters was secondary. Yes, that doesn't make it right.

Yet it has happened before in Sports. Lions player Chuck Hughes dies on the field in 1971. A local Canisus basketball player dropped over dead in a game in 1986. Hank Gathers of Loyola Marymount died on the court in the 1990's. Regiie Lewis of the Celtics collapses and dies. Baseball players have been beaned and died.

All the games continued but I do get this game being stopped by the players. Things can change.

Nothing is etched in stone.... until you're in the ground.

Typ0
01-04-2023, 10:25 AM
Don't get where you are coming from really. Goddell is in a role and just performing his role. His job is to look out for the NFL -- whatever that means or might entail. He waited and reached out to gather information about what to do ... then he did it. What do people expect from him?

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 10:32 AM
It was obvious that the game was going to be postponed 20 minutes before the public announcement was made.

What did Goodell do wrong and how do you know that's how he acted?

Goodell has performed way worse in the past than what's transpired over the last couple days, I don't have any issue with how the NFL acted on this.

It's being reported that Goodell wanted the game to continue and the only reason it got suspended was because the the players and the NFLPA refused to go back out. So assuming that's true....

I guess it depends on what the nature of Goodell's job is. If you think his job is mainly to protect the investments and interests of the owners, then continuing the game was the right call. Clearly, we have a **** show in terms of the standings and playoff seeding since the game wasn't played, and everything would be much simpler and clearer if we had a result on Monday night.

If you think his job involves actually giving a **** about a player who almost died and the other players who saw their friend and teammate almost die just minutes ago, then he needs to go.

Discotrish
01-04-2023, 10:37 AM
It's being reported that Goodell wanted the game to continue and the only reason it got suspended was because the the players and the NFLPA refused to go back out. So assuming that's true....

I guess it depends on what the nature of Goodell's job is. If you think his job is mainly to protect the investments and interests of the owners, then continuing the game was the right call. Clearly, we have a **** show in terms of the standings and playoff seeding since the game wasn't played, and everything would be much simpler and clearer if we had a result on Monday night.

If you think his job involves actually giving a **** about a player who almost died and the other players who saw their friend and teammate almost die just minutes ago, then he needs to go.

Now we get to have your same whining thread with a different title now!

Your speculation is just that.

How much sooner did you want it canceled than when they did? Or is your complaint strictly about what was going through his mind and not *caring* as much as you do?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/f74WDV59cP0NArh8gu" width="480" height="384" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/fail-shaun-the-sheep-farmageddon-f74WDV59cP0NArh8gu">via GIPHY</a></p>

Novacane
01-04-2023, 10:53 AM
Fire Goodell. Replace him with someone new who's controlled by the owners. What has changed other than making the Goodell haters feel good. Jerry Jones is one owner who wants him replaced. Do you want that ahole having his yes man running the league?

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Now we get to have your same whining thread with a different title now!

Your speculation is just that.

How much sooner did you want it canceled than when they did? Or is your complaint strictly about what was going through his mind and not *caring* as much as you do?

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/f74WDV59cP0NArh8gu" width="480" height="384" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/fail-shaun-the-sheep-farmageddon-f74WDV59cP0NArh8gu">via GIPHY</a></p>

This isn't about timing. Goodell wanted to keep playing, period.

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 11:06 AM
Fire Goodell. Replace him with someone new who's controlled by the owners. What has changed other than making the Goodell haters feel good. Jerry Jones is one owner who wants him replaced. Do you want that ahole having his yes man running the league?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but:

If I almost died at work, or witnessed one of my co-workers almost die, and the guy in charge was so hell-bent on not messing up his plans that he wanted us to get back to work immediately, I certainly wouldn't want to work under him anymore.

Discotrish
01-04-2023, 11:09 AM

Okay so he's a horrible person like Pete Rozelle, who didn't cancel the Lions game back in 1971.

Btw if they had kept playing it would've solved a lot of problems the league now faces in terms of the playoffs. I don't blame him for "wanting to keep playing." I give him credit for canceling the game when it became obvious the players were too distraught.

It's the commissioners job to take all the factors into consideration, not just one. That's why they call it an "executive decision."

sahlensguy
01-04-2023, 11:15 AM
He doesn't work for you.

Bill Cody
01-04-2023, 11:16 AM

The commissioner works for the owners. Of this we do not need to argue. Whoever is the commissioner is going to be all about their welfare. I'm no fan of Goodell. Almost anyone could be in that chair and the game would be flourishing. He's made mistake after mistake on player/team discipline. If he was ousted no one would be sad, except the owners which is why he isn't.

But your argument, and now a new thread on the same argument, lacks anything other than an emotional reaction to something you think you know but can offer no proof and it's actually about what did not happen (the game going on) vs what did happen (the game was cancelled). But even if it is true that Goodell wanted to play on I am dubious a new commissioner would not be looking out for the owners bottom line and would have tried the same thing. Because it's the owners than sign the commissioner's 30+m check.

But in the end it's all moot. Goodell is going nowhere. Of all the things to be obsessed about right now this is a strange one IMO.

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 11:24 AM
Okay so he's a horrible person like Pete Rozelle, who didn't cancel the Lions game back in 1971.

Btw if they had kept playing it would've solved a lot of problems the league now faces in terms of the playoffs. I don't blame him for "wanting to keep playing." I give him credit for canceling the game when it became obvious the players were too distraught.

It's the commissioners job to take all the factors into consideration, not just one. That's why they call it an "executive decision."

He didn't cancel the game because the players were too distraught. He only cancelled the game because the players refused to play.

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 11:27 AM
The commissioner works for the owners. Of this we do not need to argue. Whoever is the commissioner is going to be all about their welfare. I'm no fan of Goodell. Almost anyone could be in that chair and the game would be flourishing. He's made mistake after mistake on player/team discipline. If he was ousted no one would be sad, except the owners which is why he isn't.

But your argument, and now a new thread on the same argument, lacks anything other than an emotional reaction to something you think you know but can offer no proof and it's actually about what did not happen (the game going on) vs what did happen (the game was cancelled). But even if it is true that Goodell wanted to play on I am dubious a new commissioner would not be looking out for the owners bottom line and would have tried the same thing. Because it's the owners than sign the commissioner's 30+m check.

But in the end it's all moot. Goodell is going nowhere. Of all the things to be obsessed about right now this is a strange one IMO.
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/nfl-damar-hamlin-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals/

Bill Cody
01-04-2023, 11:54 AM
https://www.thenation.com/article/society/nfl-damar-hamlin-buffalo-bills-cincinnati-bengals/

Need to do better than that Op. All this article has as it's basis is the now debunked "5 minutes to warm up" line.

BillsOwnAll
01-04-2023, 12:00 PM
Why don’t people understand there are ALOT of moving parts. The game was postponed s literally 58 minutes after the hit.

That’s not long.

Are you ignorant enough to beilive YOU heard about the postpondment before the players/coaches/stadium workers.

70k people are told to leave unexpectedly, the stadium staff needs to be ready.

The ambulance didn’t even leave yet.

Jesus Christ give it a rest. Postpondinf the game 20 minutes earlier changes nothing. Sorry it hurt your feelings

Typ0
01-04-2023, 12:01 PM
Need to do better than that Op. All this article has as it's basis is the now debunked "5 minutes to warm up" line.

But he's got a link to cling too!

Typ0
01-04-2023, 12:03 PM
Why don’t people understand there are ALOT of moving parts. The game was postponed s literally 58 minutes after the hit.

That’s not long.

Are you ignorant enough to beilive YOU heard about the postpondment before the players/coaches/stadium workers.

Jesus Christ give it a rest. Postpondinf the game 20 minutes earlier changes nothing. Sorry it hurt your feelings

People need to get a grip on their own sensitivities. We don't value that in America it's about who can ***** the most and leverage the highest degree of negative control.

Night Train
01-04-2023, 12:11 PM

Supposedly, Joe Buck heard that in his earpiece from the producer...who supposedly was told that by some NFL spokesperson.

The PR denial fest kicked in minutes later. I'm sure Buck was indeed told that initially. People crapping on him is blaming the wrong guy.

northernbillfan
01-04-2023, 12:12 PM

You're missing the point. HE didn't make the call. The players, the NFLPA and the coaching staff made that call.

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 12:13 PM

That’s not long.

You are still missing the point.

Goodell did not want to suspend the game AT ALL. The players refused to play.

OpIv37
01-04-2023, 12:15 PM

You're missing the point. The article was written BEFORE the 5 min thing was debunked.

The important part is this:

But the players and coaches on the Bengals and Bills had seen enough and they refused to “play.” While the league was still twiddling its thumbs, coaches were meeting, players were getting dressed, and, at their behest, the game would be postponed. It’s important to note that the league only called the game after player reps from both teams contacted the union, the NFLPA, which informed the league that the game was done. This was a workplace action. Participants exercised their collective power and demanded that their trauma, their grief, their very humanity be recognized.

Bill Cody
01-04-2023, 12:22 PM
You're missing the point. The article was written BEFORE the 5 min thing was debunked.

The important part is this:

You're still not making a real case here. Where does it say the league was ordering anyone to play? If your point was the players had decided they weren't playing 1st a) that's totally understandable and b) so what?

TacklingDummy
01-04-2023, 12:37 PM
I'll believe a player that was on the field over posters made up assumptions they are passing off as facts.

“I’m truly blessed that we didn’t have to keep playing,” Dawkins said. “The fact that we did not have to go back out there on that field and play just shows that there is care, and that’s all we can ever ask for is that we get treated as people.

“Most people just treat us as athletes, as superstars, and some people like celebrities, but in that moment they [the NFL] treated us like people. And being treated as a person that is cared for, it’s a beautiful feeling.”

BillsOwnAll
01-04-2023, 12:44 PM
Oh wow. So Dawkins knows more about the situation than NBF and OP. Ya don’t say!!! People act like godell was on the field arguing with players to play.

Literally makes you guys look like fools. Monday morning QB op, always has an answer of what he woulda done after the facts are laid out.

And if he doesn’t like those facts Laid out , he makes his own up. Like godell was telling the players to play.

This tragedy really is bad for the zone, shows a few peoples true colors. It’s remarkable how ignorant some people are. Makes me think some reality shows aren’t actully staged, there are people out there like that.

But don’t forget . Op donated! He doesn’t usualy tell people but he felt the need to this time.

northernbillfan
01-04-2023, 01:12 PM

The true power of collective action. Unions are important, otherwise owners will just walk all over people.

Typ0
01-04-2023, 01:23 PM
You're missing the point. HE didn't make the call. The players, the NFLPA and the coaching staff made that call.

I would argue he did make the call. They said what they wanted to do and he agreed. He could have enforced agreements and told the players to get on the field -- because it was his call not theirs!

Some of you people have Goddell characterized like a steaming Bull telling them to get on the field and them disagreeing to the point of conflict. This isn't the case at all. Get off the ****.

Typ0
01-04-2023, 01:24 PM

Where have you seen what Goodell wanted? Because that doesn't exist. What Goodell did was fact-finding from the appropriate parties and then make a decision.

YardRat
01-04-2023, 01:27 PM
Goodell needs to go for many reasons that have nothing to do with Monday's game, but I'm still waiting for something better than speculation to add this to the list.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2023, 01:35 PM
Where have you seen what Goodell wanted? Because that doesn't exist. What Goodell did was fact-finding from the appropriate parties and then make a decision.

Op knows things.

Discotrish
01-04-2023, 02:47 PM

That is part of the information executives were dealing with. Knowing how the coaches/teams/players were feeling about the situation. Of course that had to play into the decision and how it was made. But you apparently wanted Goodell to make the decision without having all the information? So the game could be called sooner? And for what purpose?

Anyway you obviously have a bug up your butt about Goodell. To the point that you're being "right" is the most important thing.

Joe Fo Sho
01-04-2023, 03:49 PM

Can you provide sources on this? I just haven't seen anyone report this but I admit I'm not up on the latest news for all of this.

Woodman
01-04-2023, 04:02 PM
So assuming that's true....

See this part is where you lose me.

P.S.

I don't care for the guy just to be clear.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2023, 04:04 PM
Can you provide sources on this? I just haven't seen anyone report this but I admit I'm not up on the latest news for all of this.

Post 111, 149, 171

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262165-Bills-Bengals-GDT-!!/page8

Whole bunch of posts in this one.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262176-Op-s-rant-against-Goodell-amp-the-NFL

Mace
01-04-2023, 04:32 PM
"After speaking with both teams and NFLPA leadership, I decided to postpone last night's game and have our focus remain on Damar and his family," the statement from Goodell read (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1610345661999742976).

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/look-roger-goodells-memo-to-nfl-teams-has-leaked

That's basically what a top executive does. Gathers facts, speaks to stakeholders, makes a decision. It might not be fast because it has scope. The facts dictated the decision, and Goodell made it.

Besides speculation, no one has contradicted it that I've seen, like a union or club source.

Cali512
01-04-2023, 04:32 PM
Couple things.

One, in the 15-20 mins all this took place, the last thing the ambulance people are concerned with is letting anyone know whats actually happening. When the word got out, and joe buck announced what had happened, that was probably around the time goodell got word of what actually was going on and thats how it was released to Buck in the first place. Which is when the players went to the lockeroom. Prior to that, the typical protocol is for their to be a 5 minute time period for people to warm up after medical attention has been received and the player is out of the field of play. Keep in mind, there was only 10 minutes between the ambulance leaving and the players going to the lockeroom.

More than likely this confusion happened by the "middle man" and when joe buck asked "so what do we do now", the "middle man" probably said, "in these instances the players will get a 5 minute warm up before returning to action". On the field the only thing these coaches new about was this protocol and neither coach probably assumed "yeah games over" immediately because its such an uncommon thing. It wasnt until they tried getting their players to warm up, that they realized there is no way. Then the word was sent to the commissioner, the players went to the lockeroom, than the coaches told goodell that they cant play after that and obviously goodell agreed.

Then they delayed the announcement for about 30 mins which gave the players and families the ability to leave the stadium first, avoiding the flood of fans, which wouldve caused traffic, which wouldve made it extremely difficult for them to get to the hospital

This was an extremely difficult situation, and communication can get muddy when in a crisis. In a span of 15 mins, hamlin was rushed to the hospital. 10 mins later the players went to the lockeroom. For us just watching, the time was extremely slow. For the nfl, this was a rapid fire thing for them and 10 mins probably felt like seconds. Trying to get the communication with the players and coaches wasnt immediate because they were trying to figure out what to do when experiencing a nfl first

These quotes (may misquote) didnt help from buck and the cast

"Yeah this game cant go on, idk whats taking so long"

"As of right now, we still dont know if the game will continue "

"The players and coaches will get 5 mins to warm up before returning"

These quotes were due to the media getting the last word, and rightfully so. It was the least important thing. But they were sitting in a studio seeing twitter blow up, and dealing with their own emotions, so they said a lot of things that fans were thinking, but we assume that they had all the answers when they had as much information as we did.

Ultimately, the way it was handled, if you just take away the "5 mins to warm up" thing that i assume was miscommunication based on assumed protocol, THEY HANDLED IT PERFECTLY

I think i explained this well enough. Im far from a fan of goodell but if you piece together the timeline, with common sense, and the acknowledgment that this wasnt a normal thing, and the fact that our self righteous NFL fanbase believes that THEY deserve to be spoon fed information because THEY deserve to know whats happening in the time most convenient for THEM, it makes sense how this exactly unfolded and was spread.

The game was essentially over within 10 mins of hamlin leaving the field. The fan and medias perspective is that it was 30-40 mins after hamlin left the field. Thats where the miscommunication happened

Mace
01-04-2023, 05:01 PM
Couple things.

One, in the 15-20 mins all this took place, the last thing the ambulance people are concerned with is letting anyone know whats actually happening. When the word got out, and joe buck announced what had happened, that was probably around the time goodell got word of what actually was going on and thats how it was released to Buck in the first place. Which is when the players went to the lockeroom. Prior to that, the typical protocol is for their to be a 5 minute time period for people to warm up after medical attention has been received and the player is out of the field of play. Keep in mind, there was only 10 minutes between the ambulance leaving and the players going to the lockeroom.

More than likely this confusion happened by the "middle man" and when joe buck asked "so what do we do now", the "middle man" probably said, "in these instances the players will get a 5 minute warm up before returning to action". On the field the only thing these coaches new about was this protocol and neither coach probably assumed "yeah games over" immediately because its such an uncommon thing. It wasnt until they tried getting their players to warm up, that they realized there is no way. Then the word was sent to the commissioner, the players went to the lockeroom, than the coaches told goodell that they cant play after that and obviously goodell agreed.

Then they delayed the announcement for about 30 mins which gave the players and families the ability to leave the stadium first, avoiding the flood of fans, which wouldve caused traffic, which wouldve made it extremely difficult for them to get to the hospital

This was an extremely difficult situation, and communication can get muddy when in a crisis. In a span of 15 mins, hamlin was rushed to the hospital. 10 mins later the players went to the lockeroom. For us just watching, the time was extremely slow. For the nfl, this was a rapid fire thing for them and 10 mins probably felt like seconds. Trying to get the communication with the players and coaches wasnt immediate because they were trying to figure out what to do when experiencing a nfl first

These quotes (may misquote) didnt help from buck and the cast

"Yeah this game cant go on, idk whats taking so long"

"As of right now, we still dont know if the game will continue "

"The players and coaches will get 5 mins to warm up before returning"

These quotes were due to the media getting the last word, and rightfully so. It was the least important thing. But they were sitting in a studio seeing twitter blow up, and dealing with their own emotions, so they said a lot of things that fans were thinking, but we assume that they had all the answers when they had as much information as we did.

Ultimately, the way it was handled, if you just take away the "5 mins to warm up" thing that i assume was miscommunication based on assumed protocol, THEY HANDLED IT PERFECTLY

I think i explained this well enough. Im far from a fan of goodell but if you piece together the timeline, with common sense, and the acknowledgment that this wasnt a normal thing, and the fact that our self righteous NFL fanbase believes that THEY deserve to be spoon fed information because THEY deserve to know whats happening in the time most convenient for THEM, it makes sense how this exactly unfolded and was spread.

The game was essentially over within 10 mins of hamlin leaving the field. The fan and medias perspective is that it was 30-40 mins after hamlin left the field. Thats where the miscommunication happened

The thing is too, Goodell is not going to be on the phone with Taylor and McDermott while Hamlin is laying there and they're out on the field with him. They need to get back to the locker room and be in a position to talk, so he doesn't have information. All you can do is the basic "postpone", while you're waiting to speak with people and get all the input to make a decision. I don't know Goodell and NFLPA knew anything more at that point than anyone watching it unfold on TV.

Joe Fo Sho
01-04-2023, 08:36 PM
Post 111, 149, 171

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262165-Bills-Bengals-GDT-!!/page8

Whole bunch of posts in this one.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/262176-Op-s-rant-against-Goodell-amp-the-NFL

HA, he must have a direct line to the commissioner..

imbondz
01-04-2023, 08:47 PM
Joe Buck did say the 5 minute decision came from the league. He said that exact thing. Not sure what that means or care. The league did the right thing and Goodell is the CEO so he did the right thing.

TacklingDummy
01-04-2023, 08:54 PM
Joe Buck did say the 5 minute decision came from the league. He said that exact thing. Not sure what that means or care. The league did the right thing and Goodell is the CEO so he did the right thing.

Yes he said that. But who said that?

Typ0
01-04-2023, 09:10 PM
Yes he said that. But who said that?

My money is on someone in the room with the replay refs who are piped in. They werent there. Standard procedure.

kgun12
01-04-2023, 09:26 PM

I guess it would depend on the job you’re doing some of us can’t just say we can’t. We had a guy have a heart attack during one of our rushes. The fire department had to move him to the back of the room so they could do their job and not interrupt ours. We were all pretty sure he was died when they took him out of the radar room. With heavy hearts and at times choking back our emotions the supervisor said well the planes are going to land themselves and we had to continue working. A couple of the pilots could hear it in our voices and asked if we okay. It took about 45 minutes to get the last planes down and all the departures out, seemed like hours. The good news is at the start of the last push for the night we were told he was holding his own.

Oh and let’s not forget having to get all the planes on the ground during the 9-11 attack. What would have happened if we all said we were to upset.

Goodell waited evaluated the situation and listened to the teams. He’s not always done the right thing but I thought he did a good job in this instance.

YardRat
01-05-2023, 05:34 AM

The true power of collective action. Unions are important, otherwise owners will just walk all over people.

Maybe you are the one missing the point.

All of the stakeholders were involved and came to an agreement what they felt was the best solution.

The true power of collective action was management and labor working together to solve a crisis, there is zero reason to try and turn this into some kind of strong arm activity that pitted one side against the other.

Every body league-wide is acknowledging this as a bonding moment that was so far, and will be in the future, resolved satisfactorily and with the most important factors taking a top priority I have no idea why a select few would want to turn this into yet another "us vs them" when that's not what it is.

kgun12
01-05-2023, 08:58 AM
Maybe you are the one missing the point.

All of the stakeholders were involved and came to an agreement what they felt was the best solution.

The true power of collective action was management and labor working together to solve a crisis, there is zero reason to try and turn this into some kind of strong arm activity that pitted one side against the other.

Every body league-wide is acknowledging this as a bonding moment that was so far, and will be in the future, resolved satisfactorily and with the most important factors taking a top priority I have no idea why a select few would want to turn this into yet another "us vs them" when that's not what it is.

Great post! :10: