PDA

View Full Version : Drought. Era. Football.

OpIv37
09-11-2023, 10:25 PM
That was embarrassing.

Decent defensive effort squandered by poor offense.
High draft picks not on the field or not making a difference.
Too many turnovers. Poor QB play.
Issues from last season not addressed.
Humiliating finish in a nationally televised night game.
Outcoached.

It’s the drought all over again. Every issue that plagued us for those 17 years plagued us tonight.

Novacane
09-11-2023, 10:27 PM
At least I don't have to get invested. **** em. I've got more important things to concentrate on.

sukie
09-11-2023, 10:32 PM
This game was lost in the booth. Stick boy should get fired for handing off on 2-15 in OT . That is inexcusable. I saw Vook lined up on the R and thought… no way.

I’m an old polish dude and I saw it coming.

ParanoidAndroid
09-11-2023, 10:45 PM
Every time they went to Kincaid, it was a positive play.

He should have had 10 catches tonight.

Cook hesitates, then can't make people miss and doesn't get yards after contact but he got all those screens in the flat for 3 yards.

Kincaid gets 7+.

Murray should get ore touches against that defense.

And Josh Allen..... was horrible tonight.

sahlensguy
09-11-2023, 10:53 PM
We're a joke...again.

kingJofNYC
09-11-2023, 11:02 PM
The Bills scored a TD, the defense pitched 5 straight stops, and we basically got nothing on O.

As bad a game as I have seen but folks, if we're being real with ourselves, this O went to sleep a lot last year just like they did tonight. Have zero faith in Allen right now, he looks scared, he's trying to run out of the pocket before he even drops back to throw. This looks like 2019 Allen right now, and we had flashes of 2019 last year. Not feeling good about this at all, I can't pin it all on Dorsey either.

I'm not sure what we're doing with our personnel. Brown is a turnstile, we dressed 3 running backs and a fullback tonight, to do what run 14 times and catch a few balls in the flats. **** is bad.

kingJofNYC
09-11-2023, 11:03 PM
The Bills scored a TD, the defense pitched 5 straight stops, and we basically got nothing on O.

As bad a game as I have seen but folks, if we're being real with ourselves, this O went to sleep a lot last year just like they did tonight. Have zero faith in Allen right now, he looks scared, he's trying to run out of the pocket before he even drops back to throw. This looks like 2019 Allen right now, and we had flashes of 2019 last year. Not feeling good about this at all, I can't pin it all on Dorsey either.

I'm not sure what we're doing with our personnel. Brown is a turnstile, we dressed 3 running backs and a fullback tonight, to do what run 14 times and catch a few balls in the flats. **** is bad.

Every time they went to Kincaid, it was a positive play.

He should have had 10 catches tonight.

Cook hesitates, then can't make people miss and doesn't get yards after contact but he got all those screens in the flat for 3 yards.

Kincaid gets 7+.

Murray should get ore touches against that defense.

And Josh Allen..... was horrible tonight.

Dude Cooks hesitating in the flat on that 3rd down, he should have had it. Williams was all over his ass tonight.

Gibby 2.0
09-11-2023, 11:09 PM
That was embarrassing.

Decent defensive effort squandered by poor offense.
High draft picks not on the field or not making a difference.
Too many turnovers. Poor QB play.
Issues from last season not addressed.
Humiliating finish in a nationally televised night game.
Outcoached.

It’s the drought all over again. Every issue that plagued us for those 17 years plagued us tonight.

Not quite drought era, just peak McD. This game was everything we have come to fear about McD. Where shall I start?

Well lets see the subpar O Line play that is going to eventually get Josh killed
The undisciplined football, especially in close games, yeah McD -last year aside- has been absolutely awful in close games. No clutch, its just not there
The lack of in game adjustments. McD is one of the best coaches in the game in game prep. He's the best Monday through Saturday up through the first 25 plays on Sunday coach in franchise history. However, in game adjustments? What's that? What the hell is that? Not something he does
Frankly, I think this team goes 12-5. However, they won't do anything in the playoffs.

You say McD reminds you of Schottenheimer? Nope. Sorry. Schottzy got you to the dance, and then lost to better teams. Its just what he did. However, his teams were very disciplined. McD? Nope. So who is McD? The name? Jack Pardee.

If it were up to me, I'd let him have until February. He gets to the Superbowl, doesn't even have to win, just has to get there, and he keeps his job. He doesn't? Fire him.

Mr. Pink
09-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Josh Allen was bad. Spencer Brown was worse. He's a turnstile.

And oh yeah, Frazier gone so that defensive playcalling would look better? We still get gashed on the run because the people up front have no idea how to maintain gap integrity.

Buffalogic
09-11-2023, 11:16 PM
Chiefs and bengals board looks the same. Week one goofiness. Touching the glass over the panic button, but not lifting it just yet.

DraftBoy
09-12-2023, 04:29 AM
Josh Allen was bad. Spencer Brown was worse. He's a turnstile.

And oh yeah, Frazier gone so that defensive playcalling would look better? We still get gashed on the run because the people up front have no idea how to maintain gap integrity.

Brown is so bad and Morse wasn't much better. Granted they're going against some really good defenders, but it was an ugly night for the OL.

YardRat
09-12-2023, 05:20 AM
They certainly played like the drought era teams last night. It was ugly at times all around, but this loss sits squarely on Josh's shoulders.

Historian
09-12-2023, 06:12 AM
I've been watching the Bills since 1967, and I can't remember a time when the same defensive back picked three on us.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-12-2023, 06:16 AM
I've been watching the Bills since 1967, and I can't remember a time when the same defensive back picked three on us.
the thing is. Not ONE of those INTs were a WR drop, or a 'great play' by the defender. They were all TERRIBLE decisions and throws by QB1.

Jeff1220
09-12-2023, 09:02 AM
No doubt we were all likely having drought deja vu last night. And the great majority of it was on Josh. I'm pissed this morning, and not feeling much to be optimistic about. That said, I'm also keeping a glimmer of hope they can turn it around, but we struggle with the Jets and the Dolphins look like an incredibly dangerous team.

notacon
09-12-2023, 10:23 AM
Chiefs and bengals board looks the same. Week one goofiness. Touching the glass over the panic button, but not lifting it just yet.

First game of the season overreactions are dumb.

This thread is exactly what we expect from the sour puss cynics that sound like a broken record. The usual loser talk coming from the usual suspects. Giving up on the team so early (and fully expected). They are QUITTERS!!!!

The Bills looked really bad. Josh Allen played crappy, handing the Jets the win with four really bad turnovers. McD’s conservative baloney kicking that first FG was stupid.

Despite all that, it STILL took the Jets OT to win the game.

If the Bills play just as bad over the next few weeks, then and only THEN will this stupid idea of “Drought. Era. Football.” be anywhere close to appropriate.

Until then, it’s like, what my father used to say when someone constantly says stupid stuff....”He/she has diarrhea of the mouth”. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
09-14-2023, 11:29 AM

This thread is exactly what we expect from the sour puss cynics that sound like a broken record. The usual loser talk coming from the usual suspects. Giving up on the team so early (and fully expected). They are QUITTERS!!!!

The Bills looked really bad. Josh Allen played crappy, handing the Jets the win with four really bad turnovers. McD’s conservative baloney kicking that first FG was stupid.

If the Bills play just as bad over the next few weeks, then and only THEN will this stupid idea of “Drought. Era. Football.” be anywhere close to appropriate.

Until then, it’s like, what my father used to say when someone constantly says stupid stuff....”He/she has diarrhea of the mouth”. :rolleyes:

You know what's a broken record? Josh's turnovers, poor OL play, no pass rush, bad coaching decisions.... Year after year after year. The same old problems have not been fixed.

But I can't stop you from keeping your head in the sand.

And, I mean, literally ALL the problems that plagued us during the drought were on display on Monday. You can pretend it didn't happen all you want, but it did.

Bill Cody
09-14-2023, 11:38 AM
Drought era? LOL

We played a poor 1st game last year and finished 14-3. You guys lack any sense of proportion or perspective. Josh had a terrible game. It happens. Climb in off the ledge.

OpIv37
09-14-2023, 11:43 AM
Drought era? LOL

We played a poor 1st game last year and finished 14-3. You guys lack any sense of proportion or perspective. Josh had a terrible game. It happens. Climb in off the ledge.

Umm, we beat the defending SB champs 31-10 in the first game last year, then won the next one 41-7 over the Titans. Last year's team won 6 of the first 7 and the one loss was the sun game in Miami. They came out guns blazing. This year's team came out flat.

And we did show all the problems that plagued the drought teams. Even worse, we showed zero improvement in the areas where we sucked last year. If anything, Josh regressed.

JoeMama
09-14-2023, 11:47 AM

I'm pretty sure Ty Law had three picks in one game against us sometime during the drought era.

Mid aughts maybe? Losman or Holcomb if I had to guess.

notacon
09-14-2023, 12:00 PM
You know what's a broken record? Josh's turnovers, poor OL play, no pass rush, bad coaching decisions.... Year after year after year. The same old problems have not been fixed.

But I can't stop you from keeping your head in the sand.

And, I mean, literally ALL the problems that plagued us during the drought were on display on Monday. You can pretend it didn't happen all you want, but it did.

Sorry, but I am not “pretending it didn’t happen” nor am I “keeping my head in the sand”.

I simply believe that you are overblowing the few weaknesses of the Bills. EVERY TEAM has weaknesses. Some are way too many to allow for a team to be competitive. Some are enough to cause a “drought”.

The Bills weakens are neither....not by a long shot...not even close. And to keep on saying so year after year after year makes YOUR tune a “broken record”.

Yes, the Bills have not gone to, or won a Super Bowl since Josh Allen was drafted. SO WHAT?!?!? Every single year 94% of teams do not reach the SB....EVERY SINGLE YEAR 97% of the teams do not win a SB.

The Bills have had the second most wins since 2020, Josh’s pivotal year in his development. The Bills have gone to the playoffs FOUR consecutive years and FIVE of the last six since McD became HC.

The Bills have won the AFC EAST THREE years in a row (and a very respectable 2nd place in 2019 with a 10 win season) after not getting close the previous SEVENTEEN YEARS.

EIGHT of those seventeen years the Bills were LAST PLACE in the AFC East. NONE of those seventeen year did the Bills win 10 games. Conversely the past FOUR connective years the Bills not only won at least 10 games every year, they reached 13 in TWO of them. A feat only matched TWICE in their history....1991 & 1992.

NONE of this points to anything CLOSE to “Drought. Era. Football.”

Your delusional sour puss negativity is the EPITOME of unrealistic “head in the sand” mindset that is “pretending” this team is much, MUCH worse that it REALLY is.

Chet
09-14-2023, 12:32 PM

Your stupid Pollyanna takes are coming home to roost.

**** off already

notacon
09-14-2023, 02:18 PM
Your stupid Pollyanna takes are coming home to roost.

**** off already

Awwwwww.....you can't stand the truth, can you???

Sorry, but your fatalistic, defeatist baloney is insufferable gobbly-gook. Thinking that today’s Bills are anywhere close to illustrating “Drought. Era. Football.” is either incredibly ignorant of history or incredibly ignorant of what “Drought. Era. Football.” even means.

Or both.

OpIv37
09-14-2023, 03:16 PM

Sorry, but your fatalistic, defeatist baloney is insufferable gobbly-gook. Thinking that today’s Bills are anywhere close to illustrating “Drought. Era. Football.” is either incredibly ignorant of history or incredibly ignorant of what “Drought. Era. Football.” even means.

Or both.

That game felt every bit like a drought era game. We were playing a team that was inferior on paper but we had no answers. After that final interception when the Jets took the lead, it already felt like we had no chance. 3 points felt like 3 touchdowns. And just like so many drought era teams, they lost in a humiliating fashion in a nationally televised night game.

Chet
09-14-2023, 11:47 PM

Or both.
From the guy whose truths are: McD and Frazier are great coaches and Spencer Brown has all the tools to be elite:rofl:

Keep chugging that corporate semen. You are the Baghdad Bob of the Bills fan base

Buffalogic
09-15-2023, 12:06 PM
From the guy whose truths are: McD and Frazier are great coaches and Spencer Brown has all the tools to be elite:rofl:

Keep chugging that corporate semen. You are the Baghdad Bob of the Bills fan baseI lol'd.

notacon
09-15-2023, 01:14 PM

Keep chugging that corporate semen. You are the Baghdad Bob of the Bills fan base

And you are the Donald Trump of election expertise.

All those statements I made are extremely accurate and credible. Especially those opinions of McD and Frazier. Ask any NFL professional.

The idea that the Bills today, in any way resemble the 17 year drought is what is absurdly ridiculous and shows anyone putting forth such a silly argument as being lacking in any credibility, common sense or grasp on reality.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-15-2023, 01:16 PM
And you are the Donald Trump of election expertise.

All those statements I made are extremely accurate and credible. Especially those opinions of McD and Frazier. Ask any NFL professional.

The idea that the Bills today, in any way resemble the 17 year drought is what is absurdly ridiculous and shows anyone putting forth such a silly argument as being lacking in any credibility, common sense or grasp on reality.

I agree that this bills era in general is nothing like the drought era

what I DO agree with op is that mondays loss resembled a drought era loss in heartbreaking fashion on prime time

Bill Cody
09-15-2023, 01:17 PM
Umm, we beat the defending SB champs 31-10 in the first game last year, then won the next one 41-7 over the Titans. Last year's team won 6 of the first 7 and the one loss was the sun game in Miami. They came out guns blazing. This year's team came out flat.

And we did show all the problems that plagued the drought teams. Even worse, we showed zero improvement in the areas where we sucked last year. If anything, Josh regressed.

One game is not an era

Goobylal
09-15-2023, 01:21 PM
This thread is hilariass.

Gibby 2.0
09-15-2023, 03:41 PM
This thread is hilariass.

Give OPiV credit. Once he pronounces doom the Bills do very well. I don't know if they're still out there, but in 2017 after a three game skid he posted "is this the worst team of the drought." He also wrote the Bills off in 2019, 2020, 2021, and last year. The only year he didn't go full eeyore was 2018 and that was the only year the Bills haven't made the post season. So keep on being you OP.

Gibby 2.0
09-15-2023, 10:15 PM

Roland James of the Cheaties picked off Fergie 3 times in 1983

OpIv37
09-15-2023, 11:20 PM
Give OPiV credit. Once he pronounces doom the Bills do very well. I don't know if they're still out there, but in 2017 after a three game skid he posted "is this the worst team of the drought." He also wrote the Bills off in 2019, 2020, 2021, and last year. The only year he didn't go full eeyore was 2018 and that was the only year the Bills haven't made the post season. So keep on being you OP.

And all of those teams met the same fate. They were better than I thought they would be, but they earned the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval: “Not just good, but good enough”. They were good enough to get hopes up. They were good enough to win a playoff game or two. They were not good because they couldn’t hang with the big boys. This team will meet the same fate. They’ll probably do better than I predicted, but they won’t win the AFC or the SB. I doubt they even win the AFCE.

Josh Allen is the new Michael Vick (talking about football performance, not animal torture). He’s fun to watch when he’s not your team’s QB, because it’s either a 5 touchdown blowout or a 4 turnover debacle. You know something fun is about to happen- you just don’t know for which team. When he is your team’s QB, it’s a soul sucking emotional roller coaster. One game he’s Tom Brady with wheels, the next game he’s Peterman on opiates.

He’ll never win a SB, at least not as a Bill.

YardRat
09-16-2023, 05:41 AM
I am as big a critic of Allen as anybody, but he still has room to grow....I think. He hasn't shown any since the end of the '21 season, unfortunately.

Both he and McDermott will be bucking large historical trends if either wins a Super Bowl here, though.

OpIv37
09-16-2023, 12:04 PM
I am as big a critic of Allen as anybody, but he still has room to grow....I think. He hasn't shown any since the end of the '21 season, unfortunately.

Both he and McDermott will be bucking large historical trends if either wins a Super Bowl here, though.

And that’s what it comes down to. Being better than the drought teams is great, but it’s not championship level. Good enough to make it fun and interesting, not good enough to actually win.

I don’t see McD or Allen ever winning a title, or even the AFC.

notacon
09-16-2023, 12:42 PM
And all of those teams met the same fate. They were better than I thought they would be, but they earned the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval: “Not just good, but good enough”. They were good enough to get hopes up. They were good enough to win a playoff game or two. They were not good because they couldn’t hang with the big boys. This team will meet the same fate. They’ll probably do better than I predicted, but they won’t win the AFC or the SB. I doubt they even win the AFCE.

Josh Allen is the new Michael Vick (talking about football performance, not animal torture). He’s fun to watch when he’s not your team’s QB, because it’s either a 5 touchdown blowout or a 4 turnover debacle. You know something fun is about to happen- you just don’t know for which team. When he is your team’s QB, it’s a soul sucking emotional roller coaster. One game he’s Tom Brady with wheels, the next game he’s Peterman on opiates.

The epitome of sour puss negativity based on nothing.

So sad.

Mr. Pink
09-16-2023, 03:20 PM

I don't think there is any further room for Allen to grow at this point, this is the guy he is. And we have to deal with the fact he's gonna throw up some stinkers. He's still a top 3-5 QB in this league because when he's good, he's very good. Unfortunately he can completely swing the other way from time to time.

Gibby 2.0
09-16-2023, 07:16 PM

Well, hold on there eeyore, awww you changed the av back. . . . Seriously though, I agree with you to an extent. McD is not the guy to get us to the Superbowl. The question is, however, who do we bring in to finish the job?

About Allen, I disagree with him being Vick. Want to know who he reminds me of? Well, I willl give you four: Randall Cunningham (how the hell he escaped Bruce Smith in 1990 for that 105 yard td pass when the K-Gun was unleashed for an entire game for the first time is amazing, flying over defenders, and his incredible arm, wow), Brett Favre (he was either going to tear you a new one or he was going to play like complete horse crap, there was no in between, when he was on fire he was unbeatable, when he was cold he was terrible), Warren Moon (in the Run and Shoot he threw a lot of touchdowns, he also threw a lot of picks and fumbled a lot), most recently Cam Newton. I think Allen can win a Superbowl with the Bills but as I have said else where he needs a coach who is a boss and not a buddy.

Your boss tells you to shape up or ship out and you shape up. He sort of had that with Daboll at least through 2020. Then he had Dorsey and Dorsey and McD have been his buddies. When your buddy tells you shape up or ship out you say whatever bro. . . . He needs someone to help him pull his head out of his ass when it starts going there. Someone who will light a fire out of his ass. Heroball is his default mode. It does work sometimes, but its not good for him. Dorsey's scheme was actually pretty good on MNF (other than a turnstyle OL and a Josh Allen who looked lost a few times), but the discipline to execute that scheme was lacking.

One of Josh's intangibles, at least at one time, is/was that he learns from his mistakes and grows from them. Get rid of Dorsey and McD and replace them with a bit more of a disciplinarian and I think this team finally gets the job done. They keep Clappy and Doorknob and Josh will devolve into another qb, (Jeff George).

Chet
09-16-2023, 11:52 PM
The Favre comp is spot on. We need a coach with either gravitas or an up and coming offensive whiz kid. Miami plays with such confidence and creativity despite also having a horrible O-line and a virtually non-existent running game.

Josh has regressed due to coaching, which manifests in one of two ways: 1) like Gibby mentioned, he’s coached by his buddies that coddle him and clearly don’t hold him accountable and/or 2) he has so little faith in the cookie cutter scheme that he feels all the pressure to carry this team.