PDA

View Full Version : Jets win deserves 'asterisk' because refs missed penalty, 'MNF' rules analyst says

Woodman
09-12-2023, 04:00 PM
Jets win deserves 'asterisk' because refs missed penalty, 'MNF' rules analyst says | Fox News (https://www.foxnews.com/sports/jets-win-deserves-asterisk-because-refs-missed-penalty-mnf-rules-analyst-says)

The New York Jets (https://www.foxnews.com/category/sports/nfl/new-york-jets) defeated the Buffalo Bills in overtime with an electric punt return touchdown from rookie Xavier Gipson Monday night.

But "Monday Night Football" rules analyst John Parry said officials on the field likely missed a penalty during Gipson’s return.

Jets player Chazz Surratt threw a block on Bills player (https://www.foxnews.com/category/sports/nfl/buffalo-bills) Quintin Morris that was illegal, according to Parry.

Woodman
09-12-2023, 04:02 PM
It was extremely obvious ..... Morris got leg whipped at the 25 yard line .... ball shoulda been placed at the 40.

Novacane
09-12-2023, 04:03 PM
Who cares. Martin should have kicked a better punt and the coverage team should have covered better.

Woodman
09-12-2023, 04:08 PM
Who cares. Martin should have kicked a better punt and the coverage team should have covered better.
Punt God anybody?

His punt was mediocre but it was over 40 I'm pretty sure .... that should allow for some pretty good coverage most times ..... I wish he coulda boomed one myself ..... but still that leg whip needed to be called ..... a game winning scoring play needs to be reviewed maybe :idunno:

YardRat
09-12-2023, 04:47 PM
That's stupid, they would have ended up kicking the FG and winning anyway. Most likely.

Goobylal
09-12-2023, 04:48 PM

Who cares? Regardless of the actual punt, penalties need to be called.

- - - Updated - - -

That's stupid, they would have ended up kicking the FG and winning anyway. Most likely.

There's no guarantee they'd have moved into FG range.

YardRat
09-12-2023, 05:47 PM

- - - Updated - - -

I know, that's why I said 'most likely'.

Woodman
09-12-2023, 05:49 PM

- - - Updated - - -

It's just as easy to believe they could of turned the ball over.

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-12-2023, 06:47 PM
Quite frankly, at that point the bills didn’t deserve to win. I’m good with the no call

Forward_Lateral
09-12-2023, 07:03 PM
They should’ve called better plays with possession. Running directly into the back of Morse on 2nd and 15 basically waived the white flag. Cowardly

imbondz
09-12-2023, 07:19 PM
I saw it live and didn’t care they didn’t call it.

Buffalogic
09-12-2023, 07:53 PM
They should’ve called better plays with possession. Running directly into the back of Morse on 2nd and 15 basically waived the white flag. Cowardly
As soon as they handed it off I said ‘hate that’ then cook was tackled 2 yards later.

Dr. Lecter
09-12-2023, 08:08 PM
Let's not whine about calls. The Bills did a great job of losing that on their own.

And really - they said Allen's back foot was on the LOS on the pass to Diggs, but..........

Forward_Lateral
09-12-2023, 08:19 PM
Let's not whine about calls. The Bills did a great job of losing that on their own.

And really - they said Allen's back foot was on the LOS on the pass to Diggs, but..........

Exactly. All the missed clip or trip or whatever call did was put us out of our misery.

Woodman
09-12-2023, 08:27 PM
I saw it live and didn’t care they didn’t call it.

Just glad to get it over at that point I get it.

We really should have cruised to an easy win.

Run the big dogs a lot more in the 2nd half and it's a wrap.

Take those tempting and dangerous calls away from Josh.

Victory was just a cloud of dust away but we insisted to take the hard way.

Up 10 at the half and no QB on the other side they have no way to come back if you just play smash mouth .... and take what they give in the shorter pass variety ..... just end each drive with a kick.

1) Punt don't force **** you didn't need to.
2) Point after touchdown
3) Kick a FG.

OpIv37
09-12-2023, 09:23 PM
Yes, the refs suck. They missed that call and the OPI was weak. But the star QB gave up 4 turnovers. The run D got gashed. The D let. 3rd stringer beat them. The OL was terrible. The play calling in both sides of the ball was terrible. White is not the same player. Poyer is old.

This loss is not on the refs. It’s mostly on Allen but there’s plenty of other blame to go around.

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2023, 06:28 AM
Yes, the refs suck. They missed that call and the OPI was weak. But the star QB gave up 4 turnovers. The run D got gashed. The D let. 3rd stringer beat them. The OL was terrible. The play calling in both sides of the ball was terrible. White is not the same player. Poyer is old.

This loss is not on the refs. It’s mostly on Allen but there’s plenty of other blame to go around.

I don't think Zach Wilson really had anything to do with the Jets winning. I think the Bills' Offense, namely Josh Allen, handed them the game on a silver platter, and all they had to do was not screw it up. If anyone on the offense for the Jets deserves credit for them winning, it's Wilson, who made that miracle catch, which of course happens vs Buffalo.

Historian
09-13-2023, 06:42 AM
I was more upset about the Jets O line holding.

One play their tackle actually reached inside the collar and spun our pass rusher down by the shoulder pad.

Gotta play better against the Raiders.

notacon
09-13-2023, 12:55 PM
To miss such and obvious blatant penalty that had a HUGE effect on the game is inexcusable.

This was not some tacky tack (non) call that was away from the ball. It was THE “block” that made the winning TD possible.

It’s irrelevant that Josh screwed the pooch and handed the game to the Jets. This was a travesty of bad officiating.

OpIv37
09-13-2023, 01:27 PM
To miss such and obvious blatant penalty that had a HUGE effect on the game is inexcusable.

This was not some tacky tack (non) call that was away from the ball. It was THE “block” that made the winning TD possible.

It’s irrelevant that Josh screwed the pooch and handed the game to the Jets. This was a travesty of bad officiating.

The problem is that there are bad/missed calls are always going to happen. It’s like Dana White always says in UFC: “Never leave it in the hands of the judges.”

We can’t count on the refs not blowing the calls when the game is on the line. We have to take advantage of opportunities and not make mistakes, so one bad call by the refs can’t affect the outcome.

Forward_Lateral
09-13-2023, 01:55 PM
Blaming refs is for losers. It's the mentality of a team that missed the playoffs 20 straight years, not a team that's won 3 straight AFCE titles. I'm not saying the Bills are blaming the refs, because clearly they aren't, I'm just saying we shouldnt' be either. They should have never been in that position at all.

notacon
09-14-2023, 02:22 PM
The problem is that there are bad/missed calls are always going to happen. It’s like Dana White always says in UFC: “Never leave it in the hands of the judges.”

We can’t count on the refs not blowing the calls when the game is on the line. We have to take advantage of opportunities and not make mistakes, so one bad call by the refs can’t affect the outcome.
Some missed calls are more egregious than others.

Blaming refs is for losers. It's the mentality of a team that missed the playoffs 20 straight years, not a team that's won 3 straight AFCE titles. I'm not saying the Bills are blaming the refs, because clearly they aren't, I'm just saying we shouldnt' be either. They should have never been in that position at all.

I’m certainly not blaming the refs for this loss. I’m with Josh in blaming himself.

But it’s foolish to ignore a really really bad missed call that helped decide the game.

cas22
09-14-2023, 02:35 PM

whats your point? a qb's entire body must be over the LOS for it to be a illegal pass. bottom line is the off3nse is no different than last years, its all about Allen, he plays like **** we lose , he plays good we win.... Daboll got a Head coaching gig on his talent and Dorsey is trying the same..... if McD had any ball's he would coach with a iron fist, time to get into players when they do wrong, not baby them and say they don't want to do anything to disrupt Allen,, if I had to sit him a series or 2 what ever it takes to get your point across.. I think Allen has a free rain on this team and is treated like a fragile piece of glass...

BansheeSioux
09-14-2023, 05:12 PM
The league got the win they wanted.
There was no mistake made.

Woodman
09-14-2023, 07:11 PM
It was a rules analyst that pointed out the error nobody here brought it up or cried about anything.

Chet
09-15-2023, 02:02 AM
Blaming refs is for losers.
That's it and that's all.