PDA

View Full Version : Leonard Floyd calls being the 12th man on Denver’s missed FG “a miscommunication”

Woodman
11-15-2023, 08:52 PM
If Leonard Floyd hadn’t been on the field on Monday night, the Bills beat the Broncos 22-21. The Bills would be 6-4 instead of 5-5, and Ken Dorsey likely still is the Bills’ offensive coordinator.

Floyd was the 12th man on Wil Lutz’s 41-yard field goal attempt that was wide right, with his penalty giving Lutz and the Broncos another opportunity. The Broncos kicker made the 36-yarder on the final play.

“From my perspective, it was just a communication issue (https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills-notebook-leonard-floyd-got-stuck-on-field-for-missed-field-goal-try/article_ced9d45e-8405-11ee-9b69-372b0570138b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story) – plain and simple,” Floyd said Wednesday, via The Buffalo News. “Got to be better. We’ll be better. Plain and simple, just miscommunication.”

The Bills’ dime defense was on the field for Russell Wilson’s final kneel down, and with the clock running, the team sent out its field goal block unit. Six players from the sideline came onto the field but only five left.

Typ0
11-15-2023, 08:54 PM
another example of McDermott's systemic approach....

kscdogbillsfan1221
11-15-2023, 08:58 PM
another example of McDermott's systemic approach....
Humble and hungry
complementary football
looking at the tape

Typ0
11-15-2023, 09:10 PM
Humble and hungry
complementary football
looking at the tape

Trust the process.

- - - Updated - - -

How is this different than the 13 second debacle? It isn't. Same ****ing thing over and over and over.

OpIv37
11-15-2023, 09:48 PM
5 losses, all in the conf. The time to be better has come and gone

Woodman
11-15-2023, 10:20 PM
“I really don’t care about the blame, just disappointed we lost,” Floyd said. “A loss is a loss. People try to find ways to blame this guy, that guy, but I ain’t really sweating it. It’s all football, man. Just go out the next game and correct the **** and go out and win.

OpIv37
11-15-2023, 11:21 PM
“I really don’t care about the blame, just disappointed we lost,” Floyd said. “A loss is a loss. People try to find ways to blame this guy, that guy, but I ain’t really sweating it. It’s all football, man. Just go out the next game and correct the **** and go out and win.

He’s right. He made a mistake that lead to 3 points. But he didn’t turn the ball over 4 times. He didn’t drop any passes. He didn’t call a screen on 2nd and 20. He didnt commit any other penalties.

He’s guilty of being the straw that broke the camel’s back but he didn’t put the other 500 lbs of straw on there.

JoeMama
11-16-2023, 04:26 AM
He’s right. He made a mistake that lead to 3 points. But he didn’t turn the ball over 4 times. He didn’t drop any passes. He didn’t call a screen on 2nd and 20. He didnt commit any other penalties.

He’s guilty of being the straw that broke the camel’s back but he didn’t put the other 500 lbs of straw on there.

For a negative Nelly you seem to have endless compassion for morons contributing to losses.

Floyd deserves as much **** as all the other losers who made mistakes vs Denver.

jamze132
11-16-2023, 04:40 AM
Sounds like he knows he ****ed up but not taking responsibility for it.

YardRat
11-16-2023, 05:24 AM
I thought McDermott alluded to what they practice for situations like that is to stick with the base defense on the field and not dicking around trying to swap the players around. If that's the case it's on Smiley, not Floyd, and in all honesty I'm more inclined to trust the players and not the coaching staff.

Forward_Lateral
11-16-2023, 06:14 AM
I thought McDermott alluded to what they practice for situations like that is to stick with the base defense on the field and not dicking around trying to swap the players around. If that's the case it's on Smiley, not Floyd, and in all honesty I'm more inclined to trust the players and not the coaching staff.

I honestly thought, how having 12 guys was even possible. Who cares if you have 8 guys?? Just make sure you don't have too many. Stupidity. You aren't blocking it, they aren't faking it, the FG team on their side has the most pressure, and is rushed, and guess what? He missed it! He would've missed it if there was 11 cheerleaders on the field instead of players.

This team is so stupid in key situations.

sukie
11-16-2023, 06:40 AM
I cannot imagine this site and Bills fandom had that flag not happened. What a vapid and hollow victory without any corresponding change. My lord this place would have been a shade of ugly so horrid, a putridity so sour… ah, you get the point.

sahlensguy
11-16-2023, 06:50 AM
When **** like this isn't unexpected, McD and the staff get no benefit of the doubt. Floyd didn't say it outright, but the mishap is more on the coaches than the player.

OpIv37
11-16-2023, 07:59 AM
For a negative Nelly you seem to have endless compassion for morons contributing to losses.

Floyd deserves as much **** as all the other losers who made mistakes vs Denver.

Floyd was one of many morons who contributed to this loss. Blaming it all on him lets all the other losers off the hook.

Typ0
11-16-2023, 08:40 AM
When **** like this isn't unexpected, McD and the staff get no benefit of the doubt. Floyd didn't say it outright, but the mishap is more on the coaches than the player.

McDermott said they practiced it. Obviously didn't practice it enough. Probably practiced them right into the zone of proximal development then left them hanging. It totally falls on the coaches. Too much is too much. This doesn't work.

Typ0
11-16-2023, 08:41 AM
Think of it this way....he knew enough to practice it. Good job coach. Now, knowing enough to practice it so the players can execute it? Well he doesn't have to do that he can just throw them under the bus for poor execution at the post game presser. These guys need to wake up.

cas22
11-16-2023, 08:41 AM
1st off what idiot coach would put your dime package when you no the offense was killing the clock by running the ball? to me just another terrible coaching blunder by MCD... in a way its probably a good thing because we made a change, wit a win Dorsey would still be here, the only reason for his hiring was because he was already here, they ask Allen what he thought, duz anyone really think Allen would say anything bad about him? of coarse he is gonna give him a heads up ...

sahlensguy
11-16-2023, 08:51 AM
McDermott said they practiced it. Obviously didn't practice it enough. Probably practiced them right into the zone of proximal development then left them hanging. It totally falls on the coaches. Too much is too much. This doesn't work.

Sure, they practiced it but like too many times, McD isn't ready for the moment.

With him there's two little pro action and way too much reaction.

Mace
11-16-2023, 03:01 PM

They stuck with the base defense when it happened previously. As mentioned by Cas, for some reason he had a dime defense out there against the Broncos killing time. Plus....like with 13 seconds, he called timeouts between plays that again helped his perspective not at all. He could have put the block unit out there on his last timeout. In any case, they had time and opportunities to make sure everyone was on the same page.

I again blame McDermott.

Novacane
11-19-2023, 06:31 AM
Floyd had a major brain fart. He ****ed up and deserves the blame he's getting. It doesn't surprise me though. A lot of players are not the brightest bulbs. If anyone knows that it should be the coaches. Don't give them a chance to screw up in that situation. Leave the 11 guys out there who played the last down. A McD coached team is to dumb to not screw up a fire drill change like that with the clock running. I put the blame on the jerk HC. I'm not even mad a Floyd. The Bills didn't deserve to win on a missed kick.

sukie
11-19-2023, 07:04 AM
What the the job of a special teams coach and who devises who is or isn’t on the “block” unit and who is the one sending in personnel for a special teams situation? If it’s not on the special teams coach, I want that job. 6 figures for fartin around doing Sudoku all day.

Novacane
11-19-2023, 07:15 AM
What the the job of a special teams coach and who devises who is or isn’t on the “block” unit and who is the one sending in personnel for a special teams situation? If it’s not on the special teams coach, I want that job. 6 figures for fartin around doing Sudoku all day.

Fair enough. ST coach can go too. McD will just hire another idiot who needs to be fired. Cut the head off.

OpIv37
11-19-2023, 10:48 AM

There was an article in the Athletic about this. It said that the Bills never should have switched units when the other team had the fire drill FG situation. The chances of blocking a FG are only 2.5% and it’s only 1.5% on potential game winning FG’s. The chances of making a mistake rushing the FG block team on the field are far greater than the chances of getting a block. They should have just left the D on the field and hoped Denver ****ed up, which they did.

It was just epic levels of coaching incompetence that likely cost us whatever little chance we had of making something out of this **** show of a season.

sukie
11-19-2023, 11:27 AM
I understand all of that and ultimately McD is accountable cuz his coaches messed up but I don’t see blame going anywhere else.

Woodman
11-20-2023, 03:15 PM
Great game yesterday 2.5 sacks. :cheers: