PDA

View Full Version : How can we get Madden off MNF?

OpIv37
12-19-2003, 08:35 AM
I missed most of the MNF games this season because I had a really late class on Mondays, but I did manage to catch most of the Dolphins/Eagles game, and was quickly reminded of why John Madden is washed up. Here's a paraphrase of one of his insightful comments after Ricky Williams got stuffed for a 1 yard gain:

"That was excellent defense. They controlled the line of scrimmage, forced him to the outside then swarmed to the ball. Now THAT's how you play a Ricky Williams run".

Um, yeah, isn't that how you stop EVERY back whether it's Walter Payton or the 4th string walk-on for UB? He takes this defensive scheme that's as old as the sport of football and talks it up as though the Eagles had suddenly found a magic answer, right there on that play.

Madden was a great coach and has his name on some great video games, but his commentary is just mindless rambling.

Ð
12-19-2003, 08:42 AM
They should bring in Don Cherry

OpIv37
12-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Ð
They should bring in Don Cherry

?? I always thought he was a hockey guy. Although it doesn't take much to have better commentary than Madden- if he's watched more than 2 football games, he's probably good to go

Ebenezer
12-19-2003, 08:57 AM
stop watching...sadly...

OpIv37
12-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
stop watching...sadly...

Or, we could just do the old Buffalo/Van Miller thing- turn the sound off on the TV and pick up the game on the radio- I'm sure it's broadcast nationally. That's probably a better idea

Jan Reimers
12-20-2003, 10:03 AM
Bring him in as our next HC.

Thailog80
12-20-2003, 11:22 AM
Smith & Wesson.

bigbry
12-20-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by OpIv37
I missed most of the MNF games this season because I had a really late class on Mondays, but I did manage to catch most of the Dolphins/Eagles game, and was quickly reminded of why John Madden is washed up. Here's a paraphrase of one of his insightful comments after Ricky Williams got stuffed for a 1 yard gain:

"That was excellent defense. They controlled the line of scrimmage, forced him to the outside then swarmed to the ball. Now THAT's how you play a Ricky Williams run".

Um, yeah, isn't that how you stop EVERY back whether it's Walter Payton or the 4th string walk-on for UB? He takes this defensive scheme that's as old as the sport of football and talks it up as though the Eagles had suddenly found a magic answer, right there on that play.

Madden was a great coach and has his name on some great video games, but his commentary is just mindless rambling.

I havnt listen to Madden for years in my home. When I'm having a few with my friends Im amazed by what he says. Hes stoooopid!

BB