PDA

View Full Version : Now this is a tribute to Van Miller!!!

Ebenezer
12-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Telephone calls for Van will sadly come to an end
By STEVE LIPMAN

12/21/2003

The telephone company will lose some business after the end of the Bills season. I won't be making any more Van Miller calls.
As any expatriate Buffalonian knows, maintaining your hometown ties is difficult, especially in the cultural miasma of New York City, where I have lived for 20 years. Upon moving to New York, in the middle of the football season, I immediately established a Sunday afternoon ritual. I conduct it about 16 times a year (more during the Bills playoff years).

Sometime during the second half of every game, my parents' phone in Tonawanda rings. "Hi," I say, dispensing with the small talk niceties, "please put Van on."

My mother knows to keep the radio tuned to the Bills' station. She places the radio near the phone, and I listen to Van. No matter if my folks are also watching the game on TV, no matter if - on infrequent Sundays - New York TV is carrying the game.

more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20031221/2051872.asp)

Patrick76777
12-23-2003, 12:21 PM
That's great!

fushetti
12-23-2003, 04:00 PM
Geez, what kinda long distance bills does this guy have? Too bad he doesn't have a radio affiliate there that covers Bills games. Here in Albany we have one thank goodness.

STEVIE, I HATE BEING AWAY FROM BUFFALO ALSO! hehe.