PDA

View Full Version : For those who think we will solve holes in FA'cy

Dozerdog
01-18-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm looking at the projected salary cap- which increases 5% this season to $78 million-

........And I look at who's got the cap space- 20 teams with a Quarter Billion dollars of free cap space......

......And I look at the best free agents- I honestly beleive that there is enough cap room on most clubs to retain their better players.

OK- I can see some big names like Eddie George or Javon Kearse shaken loose from the Titans- but I think the Bills are in for a rude awakening if they expect to fill 2 or 3 big holes via FA's

Dozerdog
01-18-2004, 03:27 PM
I'm guessing the Bills will have to set aside $3-4 million for draft picks as well

zone
01-18-2004, 03:30 PM
How about NE they are in trouble and Ty Law's contract is up.

I am just hopeing AW is out and Ty comes to play with his best friend Milloy!

The_Philster
01-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by zone
How about NE they are in trouble and Ty Law's contract is up.

I am just hopeing AW is out and Ty comes to play with his best friend Milloy!

it looks like the Pats are over the cap

Stewie
01-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Those numbers may be misleading. They don't take into account the number of players under contract.

For example, team A might have 20 million under the cap, but only 35 players under contract. Team B might have 8 million, but 55 players under contract. In this scenario, team B is (all other things equal) in much better cap shape than team A.

HenryRules
01-18-2004, 03:36 PM
I could be mistaken, but I thought that Ty Law is still under contract, but will probably be cut due to cap restraints.

That could affect the time that he hits the market and may make it risky to plan our offseason around him.

The_Philster
01-18-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
I could be mistaken, but I thought that Ty Law is still under contract, but will probably be cut due to cap restraints.

That could affect the time that he hits the market and may make it risky to plan our offseason around him.
He is under contract and with his play this year, unless the Pats pick up a top-flight CB, I doubt they would cut him unless they simply couldn't re-work his deal.

Bmax
01-18-2004, 03:40 PM
I don't expect the bills to go after big time free agents this season.. Look for them to redo some deals (drew,r. brown) then
sign j. jennings and a schobel to contracts.. I think you could see a guard signed and maybe a vet cb to replace sidney on the roster.......

Bmax

The_Philster
01-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Bmax
I don't expect the bills to go after big time free agents this season.. Look for them to redo some deals (drew,r. brown) then
sign j. jennings and a schobel to contracts.. I think you could see a guard signed and maybe a vet cb to replace sidney on the roster.......

Bmax

I think Dainon Sidney is a non-factor. He was #5 on the depth chart behing McGee and Thomas

zone
01-18-2004, 03:46 PM
Speaking of McGee he is one of the best athletes on the team, and played HUGE this year, he is only a rookie. If this years play is a tale of what's to come we definitly have something real special in TM.

BillsMan80
01-18-2004, 03:48 PM
No we don't. McGee was a rookie. Let's not jump to conclusions. I'd much rather have Winfield back to start over McGee. Winfield is a proven corner, and excellent in both run and pass coverage. Teams do not attack him very much. I'd much rather go into next season with Winfield over an unproven McGee.

socalfan
01-18-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm edging towards a draft pick or McGee to take over for winfield.

HenryRules
01-18-2004, 07:31 PM
Look, I'm all for us upgrading over Winfield and signing one of the top CB's available ... but if we're not getting one of them, no way do I think we should let AW walk.

I think Winfield is overrated by some around here, but he's still an above average starting corner ... whereas McGee is a nickelback who had a few good games. Maybe if Winfield became a FA after next season and McGee had played a full season and done a good job, I'd feel differently.

socalfan
01-18-2004, 07:40 PM
I think AW won't be willing to accept a contract that TD would be willing to propose.

HenryRules
01-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
I think AW won't be willing to accept a contract that TD would be willing to propose.

I dunno ... we have cap room and when TD sets his mind to acquiring a FA, he seems to get it done (Spikes, Posey, Teague, Milloy come to mind). IMO, Winfield seems to be the first of our home-grown free agents that's hitting the market and is worth retaining ... so maybe it'll be different for him.

Michael82
01-18-2004, 07:52 PM
This just makes me soo happy to see....

Miami Dolphins ($-9,480,000)

:snicker:

socalfan
01-18-2004, 07:53 PM
TD is going to have some tough choices coming up...in another year or two he will have to resign Clements, and I think, he would spend the money on Clements. But he won't have two highly paid CBs.

Michael82
01-18-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by socalfan
TD is going to have some tough choices coming up...in another year or two he will have to resign Clements, and I think, he would spend the money on Clements. But he won't have two highly paid CBs.

He also has the contract of Pat Williams and Jonas Jennings coming up. :eek:

Dozerdog
01-18-2004, 08:14 PM
Well- looking at TD's history-

The Steelers would not blink when losing their big stars- Greg LLoyd, Woodson, Kevin Greene, ....it semed like they would lose one pro-bowler after another and keep reloading without missing a step.

juice
01-18-2004, 08:38 PM
Miami is going to have to give up a DB or a reciever

Michael82
01-18-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by juice
Miami is going to have to give up a DB or a reciever

That's what I'm thinking and hoping. :snicker:

helmetguy
01-18-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
Well- looking at TD's history-

The Steelers would not blink when losing their big stars- Greg LLoyd, Woodson, Kevin Greene, ....it semed like they would lose one pro-bowler after another and keep reloading without missing a step.

And since TD left Pittsburgh, they've been taking steps backward, and have the cap problems to show for it.

socalfan
01-18-2004, 11:48 PM
Seems that when a coach takes over personel also, cap space becomes an issue within 4 years. I think the guy would have to be pretty special to do well in all of the areas (coaching, contract negotiation, personel evaluation, and the draft) at once.

The Spaz
01-18-2004, 11:55 PM
That's why there are GM's and we have 2 really in TD and Modrak.

HenryRules
01-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by helmetguy

And since TD left Pittsburgh, they've been taking steps backward, and have the cap problems to show for it.

I'd take the AFC championship game over missing the playoffs any day of the week.

juice
01-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Mike32282
That's what I'm thinking and hoping. :snicker:

Orande Gadston would be an upgrade, Size plus excellent hands, true possesion reciever. They haven't used him I think he was cut at one point or put on non-active.

helmetguy
01-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Pittsburgh's last big push came with a roster mostly assembled by TD, not Cowher. They're going to have cap problems this coming season, so you can bet it'll take a couple of years to get that starightened out. They'll struggle to even be competitive in the weak division they once dominated; particularly with Baltimore's and Cincy's improvement. Like Dozer said, with TD running things down there, they always managed to fill holes when they lost top notch players and never seemed to miss a beat. They miss TD down there more than they'll ever admit.

Jeff1220
01-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I'm looking at the projected salary cap- which increases 5% this season to $78 million-

........And I look at who's got the cap space- 20 teams with a Quarter Billion dollars of free cap space......

A quarter billion dollars = $250,000,000
Twenty five million dollars = $25,000,000

The cap limit isn't even a quarter billion.

TigerJ
01-19-2004, 05:15 PM
I don't think Orande Gadsen is a cap consideration for Miami. He doesn't make enough money to worry about, I don't think. Winfield gave a lot of mixed signals toward the end of the season, as if he's not really sure he wants to be a Buffalo Bill, so it's not just cap dollars that TD has to deal with when it comes to doing a contract with him. I agree that TD won't make as big a splash in free agency this year as he did a year ago. He might be able to sign one starter. Hopefully it will be a productive draft.

Dozerdog
03-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
A quarter billion dollars = $250,000,000
Twenty five million dollars = $25,000,000

The cap limit isn't even a quarter billion.

Ad up the cap space, Jeff. it comes out to $250,000,000 total. Out of a total league wide cap of $2.56 Billion

32 teams with 80 million each

I hate to say I told ya so- but I didn't think the Bills would do much this offseason.

Halbert
03-15-2004, 09:37 AM
Aren't you the same dog who has been saying there's plenty of time left in free agency? Where did you bury Billy's body?