PDA

View Full Version : After yesterday does anyone else think we should have waited for a coach?

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-19-2004, 07:17 AM
I sure do.

Billsbabee
01-19-2004, 07:41 AM
I remember thinking that a couple of times throughout the game. But I'll hope and :pray: Mularkey & Co makes me regret it.

Dozerdog
01-19-2004, 07:46 AM
If we were waiting for Crennel- sure.

I'm a big Weis supporter- but yesterday it was all about the Pat's defense.

I'm happy with Mularkey- he's saying the right things, hiring the right coaches.Too bad we could not have retained LeBeau

Ebenezer
01-19-2004, 08:13 AM
I would waited for Crennel or Weis...the problem is that you wouldn't have them under contract until 2/3...makes it hard to put a staff together.

kgun12
01-19-2004, 08:19 AM
I was questioning why we didn't wait for Weis all through the game, THEN he call a QB bootleg toward the end of the game, and it almost cost them BIG!!! I am ready to give our new staff a chance!

Jan Reimers
01-19-2004, 08:23 AM
Why don't we give MM and his staff a chance, instead of living in our past wishes and hopes?

don137
01-19-2004, 08:36 AM
I agree with Eb that if we waited we might not of had McNally who I feel is a key piece. Also, how many fans would of complained that we lost Lebeau because we waited (which wasn't the case but it would of appeared that way if we never hired a coach).

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-19-2004, 10:19 AM
I am fully backing MM, I just hope it wasn't a rush decision.

Dozerdog
01-19-2004, 10:22 AM
If it was a virtual tie betwen candidates, why not go with the guy you know? Now we got first crack at guys like McNally. I'd have a different opinion if Weis was measurably better.

But it looks like it was Candidate 1 and 1-a, not between candidate 1 and 2

juice
01-19-2004, 10:27 AM
MM has what GW never had ability and STAFF.

baalworship
01-19-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't think Donahoe rushed. He wanted Mularkey and he got Mularkey. Unfortunately, Bledsoe was probably the deciding factor. Weis was NEVER coming here because of his past history with Bledsoe.

Donahoe is putting all his eggs in the Drew Bledsoe basket.

Dozerdog
01-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by baalworship
I don't think Donahoe rushed. He wanted Mularkey and he got Mularkey. Unfortunately, Bledsoe was probably the deciding factor. Weis was NEVER coming here because of his past history with Bledsoe.

Donahoe is putting all his eggs in the Drew Bledsoe basket.

I respectfully disagree. TD never has been tied to a single player in a dozen years as an NFL GM, why now?

lordofgun
01-19-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Dozerdog
I respectfully disagree. TD never has been tied to a single player in a dozen years as an NFL GM, why now?

I agree. One of them main reasons he was forced out of Pittsburgh is because he wanted to dump Kordell, and Cowher insisted that they keep him as their franchise QB. Looks like TD was right.

baalworship
01-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Well, all the speculation will end when we see how TD handles Bledsoe's contract. I have no problem keeping Bledsoe at a GREATLY reduced contract and having him fight for his job with a Billy Volek type. But if Bledsoe is still making 6 million a year then TD IS putting all his eggs in the Bledsoe basket.

The Spaz
01-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Well, all the speculation will end when we see how TD handles Bledsoe's contract. I have no problem keeping Bledsoe at a GREATLY reduced contract and having him fight for his job with a Billy Volek type. But if Bledsoe is still making 6 million a year then TD IS putting all his eggs in the Bledsoe basket.

If you assume that then yes.

lordofgun
01-19-2004, 11:04 AM

Eb? That you? :snicker:

TigerJ
01-19-2004, 12:17 PM
No regrets. I didn't want to watch Buffalo puting a staff together in February. I like everything Mularkey has done or said since he was hired. I've also been hearing Weis has some health problems. Mularkey looks like he's physically up to the rigors of coaching.

carybillsfan
01-19-2004, 12:20 PM
Give MM a chance, I don't think Fox would leave the Panthers anyways!!!!

caveboy
01-19-2004, 12:27 PM
No regrets here either. Weiss works for an awfully good coach, has a QB with enough pocket presence and agility to get out of the way, and is on a team with a very good defense. And as mentioned too, has had experience with Bledsoe – look how that turned out.

The longer we would've waited, the less co-ordinators that would have been available, then we all would've been calling for TD's ass because he waited too long.

palbuffan
01-19-2004, 12:40 PM
LETS FACE IT BLEDSOE WILL BE THE STARTER. THE KEY IS TO HAVE A DECENT VETERN BACK-UP OR HIGH DRAFTED YOUNG QUARTERBACK TO PUT THE PRESSURE ON BLEDSOE. CLEMENTS WILL NOT ASK BLEDSOE TO DO THINGS HE CANT DO.MAYBE THE BACK-UP QB WILL COME OUT OF A TRADE.

samhain1961
01-19-2004, 12:57 PM
Call it a rediculous factor in deciding upon a head coach, but I really do like MM over all the other candidates based on his physical presense.

I'll probably get blasted on this, but just give it a moment & think about it.
Who do you believe the players respect & believe in more, a "doer" who's a former 9 year NFL veteran who has worked hard to come up the ranks of the league as a coach, a guy who's not all that far removed from his playing days & is still in very good physical shape or another 50-ish, out of shape "thinker"?
We've had a couple of "thinkers" in a row now who've failed us in the end. I think it's time to give a "doer" a chance.

baalworship
01-19-2004, 12:57 PM
The only coach that we would have lost if we waited for Weis is McNally. Weis would have grabbed a coach off the Pats staff to help him with the offense if he didn't call the plays on O himself.

And I tend to believe that Weis would have found a competent o-line coach. The only way you can like Mularkey better ON PAPER is if you want Bledsoe back on the team next year. Other than Brady, Weis had WAY less talent to work with than Mularkey.

But I will not argue about it anymore. If Weis becomes the next great coach while MM is mediocre, don't say that Bills fans universally wanted Mularkey. We didn't.

I am excited that we have some new blood in here and will hope for the best.

socalfan
01-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by samhain1961
Call it a rediculous factor in deciding upon a head coach, but I really do like MM over all the other candidates based on his physical presense.

I'll probably get blasted on this, but just give it a moment & think about it.
Who do you believe the players respect & believe in more, a "doer" who's a former 9 year NFL veteran who has worked hard to come up the ranks of the league as a coach, a guy who's not all that far removed from his playing days & is still in very good physical shape or another 50-ish, out of shape "thinker"?
We've had a couple of "thinkers" in a row now who've failed us in the end. I think it's time to give a "doer" a chance.

I'd hazard the guess that the players will believe in the guy that gets them to the playoffs and then to the super bowl. And it wouldn't matter if he looked like mickey mouse.

Novacane
01-19-2004, 02:51 PM
What was so impressive about Wies and the Pats offense yesterday? 5 short field goals makes for pretty bad red zone offense. I doubt he would have been any better than Mularkey.

zone
01-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
What was so impressive about Wies and the Pats offense yesterday? 5 short field goals makes for pretty bad red zone offense. I doubt he would have been any better than Mularkey.

I agree... NE's offense has played like garbage in the 2nd half in the last 2 games, wait till they meet the Panthers DB's I doubt those 2 yard passes are going to work.

I am glad Weis is not our coach.