PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Blake?

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Why not? He's an UFA, no one is looking at him so he'll come cheap. Has starter experience.

And weren't we all looking at him before we got Drew in the first place?

I like Blake.

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 10:32 PM
No thanks.

Mr. Miyagi
03-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Why not? He's better than some unproven Henson and some nobody Volek.

And please don't anyone bring up Doug Johnson.

The Spaz
03-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Why not? He's better than some unproven Henson and some nobody Volek.

And please don't anyone bring up Doug Johnson.

I won't bring up Doug Johnson. I just think that if we don't get Volek then we should look at the draft.

Mr. Cynical
03-20-2004, 12:41 AM
If we could get Blake real cheap, I'd take him in a heartbeat as long as it meant cutting Blew and drafting a QB. He wouldn't be my first choice, but if we're looking for a QB to primarily be a Delhomme, and if we're looking to the draft as being the answer for the future, then I don't see why not Blake. May as well.

If it means bringing him in as a #2 however, then I don't think we need him. May as well make our rookie QB the #2 and have him come in to get a few games under his belt for the '05 season.

Bottom line is that unless we are going to bring in a legitimate #1, it doesn't matter. Our season will be over anyway.

Demon
03-20-2004, 12:46 AM
I don't think Blake would help us. He's got a really strong arm but do we have the WR's that can go deep? Besides Moulds oviously. Reed is unproven, Aiken is a short gain WR and Shaw is nothign special either.

And if we're going to get someone with Blake's age, we might as well get someone with playoff expierence.

McBFLO
03-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Blake is a notorious locker room pain in the arse too. We're too close to risk any kind of distractions that he may potentially bring.

IHateTheDullphins
03-20-2004, 08:33 AM
If all the qb's in the league were on a plane, (except Blake) and it blew up, I may consider bringing him in. maybe.

Jan Reimers
03-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Blake has a big arm and experience. I'd bring him in as a backup if he would come cheap, but we would still have to take a QB in round 1 or 2.

John Doe
03-20-2004, 10:13 AM
Blake is a notorious locker room pain in the arse too. We're too close to risk any kind of distractions that he may potentially bring.

Well put.

bernielivsey_1
03-20-2004, 10:34 AM
Just because we sign him as a back-up that doesnt mean we cant still draft a rook for the future. I want someone to be able to come in this year to spell an ineffective Drew if ness. Were gonna address the speed at reciever before next season so Blakes arm strength shouldnt be an issue.

IHateTheDullphins
03-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by bernielivsey_1
Just because we sign him as a back-up that doesnt mean we cant still draft a rook for the future. I want someone to be able to come in this year to spell an ineffective Drew if ness. Were gonna address the speed at reciever before next season so Blakes arm strength shouldnt be an issue.

well, I would thingkthat Blake would be the last possible option, and the Bills by no means have reached that point yet. Blake sucks. there are plenty more qb's out there that I would take before we settle for that garbage.

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 11:14 AM
i would take him in a heartbeat.. he put up better numbers than drew with less to work with in arizona..

15 tds and 19 turnovers in 13 games before he got hurt..

that average out to 18.5 tds and 23.4 turnovers in a season..

how can anyone say that if we got him at league minimum he would not be worth it.

drew = 11TDs vs 24 TOs for 6 million
blake = 18 TDs vs 24 TOs for 750k

hmm , tough choice..

:rolleyes:

The_Philster
03-20-2004, 11:22 AM
I've honestly heard nothing of these locker room cancer tales myself. I've seen a little bit of his play over the years and think he'd be better than Volek and could compete with Drew for the #1 job.

bills_7
03-20-2004, 01:06 PM
what about couch?!!??!!

Mr. Cynical
03-20-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
i would take him in a heartbeat.. he put up better numbers than drew with less to work with in arizona..

15 tds and 19 turnovers in 13 games before he got hurt..

that average out to 18.5 tds and 23.4 turnovers in a season..

how can anyone say that if we got him at league minimum he would not be worth it.

drew = 11TDs vs 24 TOs for 6 million
blake = 18 TDs vs 24 TOs for 750k

hmm , tough choice..

:rolleyes:

Exactly. :up:

Want some more sauce for the goose? Take a gander at the career comparions. Phil - close your eyes. ;)

Blake:
* 7INTs for every 10TDs
* 56.4% completion rate
* 13-to-1 attempts-to-sacks ratio
* 78.1 QB rating (less important, but anyway)

Drew:
* 8INTs for every 10TDs
* 57% completion rate
* 15-to-1 attempts-to-sacks ratio
* 76.1 QB rating (less important, but anyway)

I submit to this board...can you tell the difference??

As Tatonka said, $750K vs $6M+...tough choice indeed. :hamrhed:

IHateTheDullphins
03-20-2004, 01:43 PM
cheaper garbage is still garbage. using this rationale, would you people rather have Blake instead of Drew?

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by IHateTheDullphins
cheaper garbage is still garbage. using this rationale, would you people rather have Blake instead of Drew?

if we are going to pay for garbage.. then why pay 6 million for garbage instead of 750k for it?

i am not advocating keeping a ****ty qb.. but if the front office is set on one.. at least dont pay a ton of money for one ****ty qb when you can get a qb that is LESS ****ty for 1/6th the price.

BAM
03-20-2004, 01:55 PM
:deadhorse:

poor Bledsoe :evil:

IHateTheDullphins
03-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka

if we are going to pay for garbage.. then why pay 6 million for garbage instead of 750k for it?

i am not advocating keeping a ****ty qb.. but if the front office is set on one.. at least dont pay a ton of money for one ****ty qb when you can get a qb that is LESS ****ty for 1/6th the price.

I agree, in that sense, however the difference between the two in overall crappiness, is small. So all in all, we would mantain the mediocrity at QB, just for a much smaller price.:$:

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 02:06 PM
I agree, in that sense, however the difference between the two in overall crappiness, is small. So all in all, we would mantain the mediocrity at QB, just for a much smaller price.:$:

exactly.. we would still suck at qb.. we would just have 5 million more somewhere else..

Mr. Cynical
03-20-2004, 02:27 PM

It really is a matter of money. Look at it this way, other QBs that make the same as Drew:

Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb

Unless he performs like these guys, why pay him the same amount? The bottom line is we should pay for what we get. If we are unable to get an elite QB and are stuck with "garbage" (in whatever form that ends up being), then let's get the pay-to-performance ratio down to a rational level so that we can spend that money elsewhere.

Halbert
03-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by kal123

Blake:
* 7INTs for every 10TDs
* 56.4% completion rate
* 13-to-1 attempts-to-sacks ratio
* 78.1 QB rating (less important, but anyway)

Drew:
* 8INTs for every 10TDs
* 57% completion rate
* 15-to-1 attempts-to-sacks ratio
* 76.1 QB rating (less important, but anyway)

Ouch!

Look at it this way, other QBs that make the same as Drew:

Brett Favre
Peyton Manning
Steve McNair
Donovan McNabb

OUCH!

Halbert
03-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Very compelling points.

Halbert
03-20-2004, 03:37 PM
There's this one, too:

Bledsoe Blake
Pass/TD 27.9 24.2
Pass/INT 33.9 32.6

At least Bledsoe has the TD's in this one in his favor:

Bledsoe Blake
TD/Seas 18.3 12.0
INT/Seas 15.0 8.9

Halbert
03-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Oops, that last one was passing TD's, better include Rushing TD's because they count:

Bledsoe Blake
Total TD/Season 18.8 13.3

5.5 more TD's per season from Bledsoe. Yep, we're getting jipped.

I still feel like Bledsoe has more upside, for some strange reason. At least we know we'll find out for sure this year, at least with Bledsoe.

thenry20
03-20-2004, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi
Why not? He's an UFA, no one is looking at him so he'll come cheap. Has starter experience.

And weren't we all looking at him before we got Drew in the first place?

I like Blake.

I can't think of one good reason why not.

As long as he don't harp about starting when DB is healthy.

Mr. Cynical
03-20-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
There's this one, too:

Bledsoe Blake
Pass/TD 27.9 24.2
Pass/INT 33.9 32.6

Bledsoe Blake
TD/Seas 18.3 12.0
INT/Seas 15.0 8.9

True, but in reality more TDs doesn't mean much when your INTs are higher as well. Turnovers can lose a game just as much (if not more) than TDs win a game. Just look at teams that have winning seasons - their turnover ratios are always good, e.g., +9 or higher.

If you look at the ratio of INTs/TDs, that's where it evens out between them. Actually Blake's ratio is better (74% vs 82% INTs per TDs)

Tatonka
03-20-2004, 09:21 PM
There's this one, too:

Bledsoe Blake
Pass/TD 27.9 24.2
Pass/INT 33.9 32.6

Bledsoe Blake
TD/Seas 18.3 12.0
INT/Seas 15.0 8.9

Oops, that last one was passing TD's, better include Rushing TD's because they count:

Bledsoe Blake
Total TD/Season 18.8 13.3

5.5 more TD's per season from Bledsoe. Yep, we're getting jipped.

I still feel like Bledsoe has more upside, for some strange reason. At least we know we'll find out for sure this year, at least with Bledsoe.

rofl.. your counting up tds per season.. blake didnt start every year.. so are you factoring in some zeros for him?.. why dont you do those numbers for games started.. that would be a more accurate number..

Halbert
03-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Jeez. Here I am agreeing with you, providing data that in most cases is in your favor, yet I'm still getting ripped.

I think I'll let you compile further data yourself.

The Natrix
03-20-2004, 10:12 PM
No way. Two years ago Blake would have been a nice bridge to Ramsey (thank god we didn't get Harrinton, he stinks). The team was coming off a 3-13 season for christ sakes. Right now, with a team that needs to win now, Blake is not the Answer. Especially two years older. It's Volek or Draft. Or both.

bernielivsey_1
03-20-2004, 10:14 PM
Whats Rob Johnson doing? I read somewhere he has a lot of potential and is very mobile. Quick release too.

The Natrix
03-20-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by bernielivsey_1
Whats Rob Johnson doing? I read somewhere he has a lot of potential and is very mobile. Quick release too.

Probably hookin' up with hotties in a hot tub. What are you doing?