PDA

View Full Version : There will be RB problems this year

Novacane
03-25-2004, 06:26 PM
For all you that think we are going to have this awesome backfield of Henry and Mcgahee it ain't going to happen. You can only give one guy the ball at a time. I think there will be fighting.

Henry is going to be pissed because Willis is going to be taking away some of his carries. For you that say no he won't just look how pissed he was that we even drafted WM.

Mcgahee is going to be pissed because he has an incentive based contract and he will not be able to reach them spliting carries.

BuffaloRanger
03-25-2004, 06:30 PM
But let's draft a 1st rd QB so we can have a RB AND A QB CONTROVERSY , right?

Devin
03-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Fairway couldnt agree more I just hope some happy medium can be reached.

And as far as a QB in the first round goes.... *me prays we draft a QB*

Drew isnt good enough for controversey. And ill put up with his whining to have a future QB. Hes gone next season anyway.

Mr. Cynical
03-25-2004, 06:40 PM
The only way we have a no RB problems is in one of the following scenarios:

1. WM isn't fully healed and TH has to carry the load.
2. WM is fully healed and they trade TH before the season starts.
3. WM is fully healed and TH gets injured, thus WM has to carry the load.

The scenario that will cause problems:

1. WM is fully healed and TH is playing well. Some say "good problem to have" but I think everyone knows where I stand on RBC. And with two "studs", it's not going to be smooth. Both have something to prove...

WM, wants to prove he was worth the 1st round pick and to shove it up the other teams' butts who passed on him (and for the contract incentives)

TH, because he got disrespected by TD because of that pick wants to prove TD made a mistake (and he also wants to play well for the upcoming contract year)

They won't like sitting one bit (not that any RB does), and that can build up over the season.

John Doe
03-25-2004, 06:41 PM
We were the 21st ranked rushing team in the league last year. Mcgahee is just what we need.

The_Philster
03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by John Doe
We were the 21st ranked rushing team in the league last year. Mcgahee is just what we need.

it's not so much McGahee we need, but a commitment to the run

L.A. Playa
03-25-2004, 07:08 PM
Sounds like every position on the team is screwed, if you listen to your expert analysis. I know competition makes players better and hey they signed the contract now play for it, 2 back sets have worked very succesfully in the past winning cures all stat loving players check out the winning percentages of teams with two backs that share the duties suand I am sure you will find a very high winning record, Mc Gahee is 100 % so go with him and trade Henry while he has value if you think it is gonna be a problem. Henry has suceeded in a pass first offense. He doesnt hit the hole or allude tackles with great consistency, when a defence plays against run first he will not be as succesful as he has in the past trade him now while he has value and hey if Mc Gahee gets hurt and Mv Nally is the savior as everyone thinks then any RB will be able to run behind our line, but please stop all the panicking about the Qb and RB situation until you see something on the field give the new staff some time to prove themselves on the field

saviorbledsoe
03-25-2004, 08:26 PM
I was at a sales seminar today........Attitude is everything.......if us Bills fan could be a little more positive maybe just maybe we could win a Superbowl before I die?

Novacane
03-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
I was at a sales seminar today........Attitude is everything.......if us Bills fan could be a little more positive maybe just maybe we could win a Superbowl before I die?

That has to come from the players, coachs and everyone else in the organization SB. Do you honestly think if every single Bills fan is positive that will help the Bills win a SB sooner? Come on now. I agree it will help you in your sales but our attitude has nothing to do with how well the Bills do.

Novacane
03-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by pmacla
Sounds like every position on the team is screwed, if you listen to your expert analysis.

Mine is just as expert as yours is thank you very much:hi5:

EDS
03-26-2004, 07:13 AM
I think you are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. Sure each will want to be the man and get as many carries as possible, but successful playoff teams in recent years have had a strong number 2 back or committee of backs:

Carolina - Stephen Davis and Deshaun Foster
New England - Antwoin Smith and Kevin Faulk
Tampa Bay - Alstott and Pittman
Oakland - Garner and Wheatley
San Fran - Hearst and Barlow

Point is, no one is even sure how McGehee will perform this year so it is unrealistic to make a big deal about it until such time as he proves himself - that will not happen in one practice, one game or two games, but over the course of the season. Next year, it could be a big problem, but we don't have to worry about that yet.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Let me say that I think you are wrong. I think both of the RBs we have are pros and they will coincide with each other this year. I think both of these guys will put the team first. If there is going to be a problem with one not getting enough carries it might be a would be next season.

This season Travis is #1, Willis #2.

Jan Reimers
03-26-2004, 07:35 AM
I like the idea of having the "problem" of two quality running backs. With a strong commitment to the run, there might be enough carries to keep both guys satisfied - at least for a season - especially if we are winning.

Longer term, one or the other will probably emerge as the feature back, and the other will be unhappy.

But I think we will be able to enjoy the luxury of two great running backs for at least this season, and perhaps one more.

Novacane
03-26-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers

But I think we will be able to enjoy the luxury of two great running backs for at least this season, and perhaps one more.

It could work this season. For two years? No way. If WM's contract was not so heavily based on incentives I might buy that.

If WM shows this year his knee is good and he shows he is a capable NFL back he is going to want to play. Thats the only way he will get paid what he thinks he is worth.

Michael82
03-26-2004, 07:58 AM
Here's the thing, as long as the Bills win...there will be NO PROBLEMS. However, once the team begins to lose games, the problems will start to show and Henry may get a little *****y to the media. Wins will change that, IMO!

Novacane
03-26-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
Here's the thing, as long as the Bills win...there will be NO PROBLEMS. However, once the team begins to lose games, the problems will start to show and Henry may get a little *****y to the media. Wins will change that, IMO!

Things will likely go smoothly this year because Willis still has to prove himself. If he does well, one of the two has to go next year. It's all about the $$$$$$ WIllis will want all the carries so he can meet his incentives. Travis will want all the carries so he can get a big contract as a FA.

Winning does not matter when it's about the money. Ty Law is a Super Bowl champ yet look at the jerk he is being over money.

DraftBoy
03-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Are we talking about a controversy between the two guy or a controversy between fans, b.c you can already see the split in the fans.

Also to whomever said Bledsoe wasnt good enough to have a controversy over. We had a controversy over RJ and he was much worse IMO.

Voltron
03-26-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe

Yeah and Tinker Bell will get better if we all Clap our hands together! :rolleyes:

My father always told me it takes a special kind of person to be a salesman........ An A-hole :snicker:

:jk:

Tatonka
03-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by John Doe

Originally posted by EDS
I think you are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. Sure each will want to be the man and get as many carries as possible, but successful playoff teams in recent years have had a strong number 2 back or committee of backs:

Point is, no one is even sure how McGehee will perform this year so it is unrealistic to make a big deal about it until such time as he proves himself - that will not happen in one practice, one game or two games, but over the course of the season. Next year, it could be a big problem, but we don't have to worry about that yet.

good posts.

Jeff1220
03-26-2004, 09:22 AM
I hope Travis and Willis do get fired up about their positions on the team, not for personal bad-blood, but for the motivation to prove themselves.
Having a RB controversy is quite different that having a QB controversy IMO. RB is a very physical position. When a RB has a lot of pent up anger and desire to prove himself, it can come out in his play on the field in a positve way.
QB, on the other hand is very cerebral, and a controversy can easily mess with the heads of the signal caller. There are many more opportunities and much more dire circumstances for mental errors at the QB position. A controversy can wreck a QBs whole focus on the game. A RB, however, usually just runs harder.

If they're pi$$ed, so what. I hope it just fuels them to play harder, since they both know that one of them is likely gone after this year, and each wants to up his value.

d1220
03-26-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Jeff1220
I hope Travis and Willis do get fired up about their positions on the team, not for personal bad-blood, but for the motivation to prove themselves.
Having a RB controversy is quite different that having a QB controversy IMO. RB is a very physical position. When a RB has a lot of pent up anger and desire to prove himself, it can come out in his play on the field in a positve way.
QB, on the other hand is very cerebral, and a controversy can easily mess with the heads of the signal caller. There are many more opportunities and much more dire circumstances for mental errors at the QB position. A controversy can wreck a QBs whole focus on the game. A RB, however, usually just runs harder.

If they're pi$$ed, so what. I hope it just fuels them to play harder, since they both know that one of them is likely gone after this year, and each wants to up his value.

Good post my brother! I couldn't agree more.

John Doe
03-26-2004, 07:06 PM
From "Bills Daily"

Henry, McGahee Coexist: The first 7 on 7 drill in minicamp had Travis Henry and Willis McGahee on the field together. Coach Mularkey said in that package neither will be asked to block like a fullback but the threat of either of them running or catching a pass will give defenses fits. The two backs joked around about which one would block for the other during the workout.

So far so good.

helmetguy
03-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Mularkey alluded to having the both of them on the field at the same time when he first came to town. It has some real possibilities.

thenry20
03-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Fairway To Green
For all you that think we are going to have this awesome backfield of Henry and Mcgahee it ain't going to happen. You can only give one guy the ball at a time. I think there will be fighting.

Henry is going to be pissed because Willis is going to be taking away some of his carries. For you that say no he won't just look how pissed he was that we even drafted WM.

Mcgahee is going to be pissed because he has an incentive based contract and he will not be able to reach them spliting carries.

LOL, I don't think Travis likes Willis much anyway. You never see them together talking at all. Oh well.

Mr. Cynical
03-27-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by EDS

The difference here is that TH made the pro bowl last year and WM was a 1st round pick (and a potential star). Of those combinations, which of those teams have that same dynamic? I don't think any of them IMO.

In any case, I've posted before that I hate run by committee. It *can* work, but it is more likely *not* going to work. SF/Oakland/Tampa all finished below .500. Carolina / NE made it because of the genius coaching, stellar defenses and capable offenses. I guess if people think MM and Co. are in the same class as Belichick and Fox, then hey you never know....it might work out. :)

Hermanator21
03-27-2004, 04:58 AM
carries per game

Travis Henery----25 carries

Willis------whatever is left:smoke: