PDA

View Full Version : EVANS reed/shaw

bills_7
04-29-2004, 10:57 AM
if lee evans can play the way everyone says can and adjsut to the NFL quickly, reed is gonna have trouble holding a starting role....

shaw played to good at the slot position last yr to remove him and give reed the slot back(if evans gets the #2).... dont get me wrong reed is good enough to play in the NFL but only as a slot recieve.....

The NFL is a "now" league and reed had his chance last yr and blew it.... and dont tell me it was the coaching.... sure it had something to do with it but we cant be waiting around for him..... he still may get his chance this yr again but he better start off strong cause evans i think willl adjust fast to the NFL.....

why we cant take shaw away from the slot:

2002- reed with an amazing OFF:

rec 37, yrds 509, avg 13.8, TD 2

2003- Shaw w/ basically the worse OFF:

rec 56, yrds 732, avg 13.7, TD 2

of coarse for this to be a discussion we need evans to adjust quickly and get the #2 spot....

and maybe we will even see a lot of 4 or 5 WR formations....

This is going to be a fun season and hopefully playoffs

Jan Reimers
04-29-2004, 11:01 AM
This will be Reed's 3rd year, when most WRs come into their own. I think Reed will be a very productive receiver this year.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
This will be Reed's 3rd year, when most WRs come into their own. I think Reed will be a very productive receiver this year.

ya i know its his third yr and moulds didnt get good till his third yr.... ya ya he didnt do much improving last yr, he may even got worse....

he had his chance and will probably get another chance this yr but he wont be what everyone wants him to be....

juice
04-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Reed was played out of position and in a new position.. Reed plays before Shaw because of his upside.

Bulldog
04-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by bills_7
if lee evans can play the way everyone says can and adjsut to the NFL quickly, reed is gonna have trouble holding a starting role....

shaw played to good at the slot position last yr to remove him and give reed the slot back(if evans gets the #2).... dont get me wrong reed is good enough to play in the NFL but only as a slot recieve.....

The NFL is a "now" league and reed had his chance last yr and blew it.... and dont tell me it was the coaching.... sure it had something to do with it but we cant be waiting around for him..... he still may get his chance this yr again but he better start off strong cause evans i think willl adjust fast to the NFL.....

Glad the Bills brass didn't use this mentality with regards to P. Price or Moulds for that matter. Neither of those two produced until their third year, so why is Reed any different? If push comes to shove, Reed will get the nod over Shaw.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 11:10 AM
they all showed signs of greatness..... reed has shown nothin..... he showed me that he can drop the ball while hes wide open though

The Spaz
04-29-2004, 11:18 AM
they all showed signs of greatness..... reed has shown nothin..... he showed me that he can drop the ball while hes wide open though

Reed showed pretty well in his rookie when he played in the slot with Moulds and Price on the outside. I think Reed will definitely turn it around this year with Moulds, Evans, Shaw around him.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 11:23 AM
dont get me worng im hoping he does but its not likely.....
Originally posted by The Spaz
Reed showed pretty well in his rookie when he played in the slot with Moulds and Price on the outside. I think Reed will definitely turn it around this year with Moulds, Evans, Shaw around him.

ya he did play well as a rookie....
that could be b/c teams focused on EM and PP....

reed had a big push in his 2nd yr and showed no improvments....

Jan Reimers
04-29-2004, 11:26 AM
I simply feel that Reed will be good and should be afforded a chance. Shaw is a journeyman with absolutely no upside.

The Spaz
04-29-2004, 11:29 AM
dont get me worng im hoping he does but its not likely.....

ya he did play well as a rookie....
that could be b/c teams focused on EM and PP....

reed had a big push in his 2nd yr and showed no improvments....

If Moulds would have stayed healthy the whole year I'm sure that would have helped.

BillsFanCupp38
04-29-2004, 11:36 AM
I dont know if reed played in the slot when peerless was around, i saw a picture of price in the slot. But that was only one picture so who knows.

BillsFanCupp38
04-29-2004, 11:43 AM
i found the picture. Its in the user zone galaries 2002 when the bills are playing the bengals. Its like a wide screen shot so you can see almost all of the field. Peerless is lined up in the slot and reed is all the way at the bottom and E-MO is at the top. Actually there are 2 pictures with Reed wide and Price in the slot. I dont know if its quincesidence or if thats where price lined up when reed was on the field.

TigerJ
04-29-2004, 12:02 PM
I don't hold Reed's sophomore jinx against him. Those things happen sometimes. I always thought that Reed's upside was somewhat limited though. Coming out of college, he was already considered to be a very mature receiver, an excellent route runner with good RAC ability. And last year's early drops not withstanding, he was supposed to possess very good hands. That left me wondering how much he could really improve from his college days. Don't get me wrong, I think he can get better, but the improvement is not going to be the leaps and bounds stuff you might expect from a receiver with awesome physical talent who is very raw. Reed may have enough to beat out Shaw this year, and in any event will have a solid career as a possession receiver from the slot position, but he's never going to have the gawdy stats of a Marvin Harrison, Eric Moulds, or Terrell Owens, who are true gamebreakers. That ultimately is why Buffalo drafted Lee Evans.

Demon
04-29-2004, 12:40 PM

Moulds played worse in his 2nd season then his rookie year so i don't know what kind of greatness you're talking about.

Josh Reed will be fine. He will most likey not be better then Lee Evens but that's ok. Reed will be a solid 3rd string WR and in case Evens or Moulds get hurt, Reed will be a solid starter. I think Reed will have a really solid season because i don't buy that Evens will be great as a rookie, although in his career i think he might be.

I think comparing Bobby Shaw to Josh Reed is pretty off the wall. Shaw did nothing last season either and his prime is past him, while Reed's entire future is ahead of him.

TedMock
04-29-2004, 12:43 PM
Shaw had more catches last season for obvious reasons. Moulds being injured most of the year would be the biggest reason. For those still talking about Reed's case of the "dropsies" last year please remember that they were all in the beginning of the year. He definitely struggled the first few weeks. He got better during the year and stopped dropping the ball. Remember the big story about how Moulds sat with him and made him watch old college tapes showing him what he's capable of? He gave that week of Moulds' teaching for the reason he was able to turn it around. Besides, it wasn't just him early in the year. Moulds and Shaw were dropping passes as well. He'll be fine.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Demon

I think comparing Bobby Shaw to Josh Reed is pretty off the wall. Shaw did nothing last season either and his prime is past him, while Reed's entire future is ahead of him.

how iis shaw past his prime if anything hes in his prime right now, coming off his best season of his carrer.... look at the stats....

so shaw did nothing eh, im pretty sure he made alot of big third down catches and was our big play WR while moulds was hurt....

he played way better then anyone would have expected from him.....

when it comes down to it im sure reed and shaw will get equal playing time...

justasportsfan
04-29-2004, 01:18 PM

What? It was all coaching and Drew. Drew, wr's and OL were put in situations where they had to be on the same page when it came to reading defenses at the line of scrimmage ,right before the snap. If any one of them read it differently , you can forget about it. If a seasoned veteran like Drew had his lapses reading the D, all the more a second year player.

Drew was also throwing Reed passes where he had to make circus catches. I don't know what games you been watching.

Because of speed I think Evans may be the no. 2 guy eventually not because Reed blew it. ItI think reed will be one hell of a wr in this league.

justasportsfan
04-29-2004, 01:24 PM
they all showed signs of greatness..... reed has shown nothin..... he showed me that he can drop the ball while hes wide open though Moulds and Shaw had the dropsies as well. If I were you I'd ask for a copy of all those games and try to watch the game closely.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
Moulds and Shaw had the dropsies as well. If I were you I'd ask for a copy of all those games and try to watch the game closely.

moulds was hurt last yr....... and if ur refering two his first two season moulds played better then reed has in his first two....

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:30 PM
r u talkin about moulds in his first too yrs?

Captain gameboy
04-29-2004, 01:34 PM

Before we condemn Reed, he doesn't have near the issue of dropping balls that Don Beebe had, and I've never heard much complaint about that.
Wide receivers drop balls. I think Reed is a great receiver and will stat out very well this year. He is not a game breaking, one receiver, but he will do very well this year.

justasportsfan
04-29-2004, 01:38 PM
That's funny , was it MOulds' groin doing the catching/drops?

You cannot fault one person and say he blew it when the entire offensive unit stunk. For the most part of last year, Gilbride was having Drew throw only 10-15 yds out. Defenses knew that and zeroed in on it.

I guess it's useless trying to argue because you saw a different game from what I saw. You'll see how good Reed is if Mularkey is able tp make plays uncomplicated.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by gameboy
He is not a game breaking, one receiver, but he will do very well this year.

moulds is a game breaker...
hopefully evans is too...
shaw has shown that he can be a game breaker as well.....
reed, no .....
thats why id put him #4 if evans pans out......

TedMock
04-29-2004, 01:43 PM
That's funny , was MOulds' groin that was doing the catching/drops?

:lol: :chuckle: Moulds' groin dropping balls!

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:44 PM
yes he is good when he has talent around him......

but we got away from the topic here...

if evans plays well right away... hes #2
shaw should be 3 then reed.....

but thats jst my opinion.....

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:45 PM
moulds is a game breaker...
hopefully evans is too...
shaw has shown that he can be a game breaker as well.....
reed, no .....
thats why id put him #4 if evans pans out......

Originally posted by TedMock
:lol: :chuckle: Moulds' groin dropping balls!

u try running with pain as well as trying to catch a football in the NFL..... not too easy....

STAMPY
04-29-2004, 01:53 PM
u try running with pain as well as trying to catch a football in the NFL..... not too easy....

Tim Couch SUCKS

justasportsfan
04-29-2004, 01:55 PM

u try running with pain as well as trying to catch a football in the NFL..... not too easy.... U try making circus catches with drew slinging that ball at you 10-15 yds out.

You don't get known for YAC or setting college records by sucking. If you have an OL that can't give you time to break away and have an OC who confuses the hell out of everyone, you're gonna suck too.

TedMock
04-29-2004, 01:55 PM

I totally agree with that. Moulds dropped balls more last season than before and his injury was probably a big reason. I was laughing at the groin/balls comment. I do think that Moulds is our game breaker and Evans has the speed to be one. Reed will be in the slot. The knock on Shaw was his speed. He fell into the same category as Reed. With Reed going into his third year and most likely as his natural position I don't see him moving to 4th on the chart.

bills_7
04-29-2004, 01:58 PM
U try making circus catches with drew slinging that ball at you 10-15 yds out.

You don't get known for YAC or setting college records by sucking. If you have an OL that can't give you time to break away and have an OC who confuses the hell out of everyone, you're gonna suck too.

kk ur still not getting it i think reed is alright not amazing not great not a stud......

i am saying shaw should be in the slot before reed..... if evans gets the #2

do u agree yes or no?

bills_7
04-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by BuffaloBillsSTAMPEDE
Tim Couch SUCKS

hahahha..... no he doesn't....
he is good honestly.... lol

justasportsfan
04-29-2004, 02:02 PM

kk ur still not getting it i think reed is alright not amazing not great not a stud......

i am saying shaw should be in the slot before reed..... if evans gets the #2

do u agree yes or no? NO. Reed is young and will only get better. Shaw is as good as he'll ever be.

We'll wait and see at camp.

TedMock
04-29-2004, 02:14 PM
It's too hard to say right now. Shaw played in place of Moulds quite a bit last season so he, in essence, became the number one guy. Why didn't they move Reed there if he's so good? Because it was his firs year at #2 and it would've been stupid to stunt his growth as a WR. Learning the number one routes would've made things worse. Shaw was brought in to be a utility guy and he did a very good job. He'll never be a game breaker either, he just doesn't have the speed but he can be a good #2, #3, or #4. Even a temporary number one if necessary. I think if all else is equal you play Reed in his natural position.

The_Philster
04-29-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Demon
Shaw did nothing last season

:huh: What Bills team were you watching?

McBFLO
04-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Remember people, Moulds didnt come around til his 3rd year either...

bills_7
04-29-2004, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by pepperkorn
Remember people, Moulds didnt come around til his 3rd year either...

yes weve been over that already....

Originally posted by The_Philster
:huh: What Bills team were you watching?

i know shaw is awsopme do u think he shou;ld start ovr reed, phil? in the slot if evans is the #2 guy

Tatonka
04-29-2004, 10:37 PM

thank god the bills front office doesnt feel the same way as you.. or the next thing you know we will be trading losman for couch. :snicker:

bills_7
04-29-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
thank god the bills front office doesnt feel the same way as you.. or the next thing you know we will be trading losman for couch. :snicker:

lol

thefixer74
04-29-2004, 11:47 PM

yes weve been over that already....

i know shaw is awsopme do u think he shou;ld start ovr reed, phil? in the slot if evans is the #2 guy

Shaw was not awsome,he made a few plays yes,but he dropped balls too.He tried to show boat the two point conv. pass (against Tenn I think)that would have tied the game.He had it and let it go.

thefixer74
04-29-2004, 11:50 PM
I'm not saying shaw is bad,I'm saying Reed is younger with more upside.

The_Philster
04-30-2004, 04:55 AM

Right now, Reed and Shaw, in my mind, are pretty equal at #2. If Evans shows something (you don't annoint a guy a starter without seeing him play), he'll be up with them or past them. All that can change of course but I am just basing this on what we know so far.