PDA

View Full Version : ESPN says Super Bowl Bills were overrated

Philagape
07-20-2004, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=schoenfield/040720

Ebenezer
07-20-2004, 02:34 PM
I can't to the link but if they use the argument that we got there because of a gimmick offense, I could understand how somebody outside of Buffalo could have said that.

Philagape
07-20-2004, 02:37 PM
They basically said it's because we were in a weak conference and didn't have a good enough defense

Ebenezer
07-20-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Philagape
They basically said it's because we were in a weak conference and didn't have a good enough defense

I agree with the defense part...the division was not as strong as it has been the last 10 years...

Pride
07-20-2004, 02:47 PM
I do blame the defense for most of it. The defense was always the "bend but dont break" type under Walt Cory. Well, when you play in the SB, you have to take chances and turn it up a notch. What it also fails to recognize is the fact that we lost to 3 of the best head coaches ever to coach the game! Parcells, Gibbs, and Johnson.

Tell me they all wont be hall of famers some day!

Michael82
07-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Who cares what ESPN says? ESPN is OVERRATED! Seriously, that channel has really gone downhill lately and the site is a popup disaster! The only thing keeping my attention is Sports Center and Sunday Night Football.

Billsouth
07-20-2004, 03:37 PM
i love the bills but there is some validity to the fact that our defense was a little soft and that besides the first bowl, we did not play our best for the entire game which cost us each of those games.

elltrain22
07-20-2004, 04:02 PM
People will always try to hate on our team, but no one can ever change the fact that we were the most dominant team of the 90's. True, we never won the big won, so what!! We were da shiznet for 4 strait yrs, and people who be dissing us all the time are just haters, and probably are either Cowgirl or Dolphins fans.

Schobel94
07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
That guy should say that to Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith's face, and we'll see whose attitude changes.

Samphin1
07-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by elltrain22
People will always try to hate on our team, but no one can ever change the fact that we were the most dominant team of the 90's. True, we never won the big won, so what!! We were da shiznet for 4 strait yrs, and people who be dissing us all the time are just haters, and probably are either Cowgirl or Dolphins fans.

While the Buffalo teams of the early 1990's were very good and extremely talented, they were not the most dominant team of the decade. Based on Championships, you have to go with Dallas who won three within the decade. Also, the Niners and Broncos both won a pair of Lombardi Trophies ion the Nineties. Sorry guy, your guys team was the best in the AFC for four years, but nowhere near the most dominant. That is like saying the Braves were the most dominant team in MLB in the 90's. That distinction goes to the Yankees.

And yes, I am a Dolphins fan.

The_Philster
07-20-2004, 06:15 PM
Most dominant of the 90s? no.
Most dominant of the early 90s...without a doubt. :up:

Originally posted by Samphin1
And yes, I am a Dolphins fan.

Admitting it is the first step to solving your problem :up:

Samphin1
07-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
Most dominant of the 90s? no.
Most dominant of the early 90s...without a doubt. :up:

I would still argue for the Cowboys, but it holds more water than over the entire decade.

Originally posted by The_Philster Admitting it is the first step to solving your problem :up:

Agreed. So why not admit to whatever your problem is and get it off your chest? :D

The_Philster
07-20-2004, 06:24 PM
:D
Originally posted by Samphin1
Agreed. So why not admit to whatever your problem is and get it off your chest? :D

I have to look at this Fish fan's posts and have to refrain from poking my eyes out!!! :madcurse:

:phew: You're right...I feel much better now.

Samphin1
07-20-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster
:D

I have to look at this Fish fan's posts and have to refrain from poking my eyes out!!! :madcurse:

:phew: You're right...I feel much better now.

Glad I could help. :p: In the future though, please refrain from eating with a knife and/or fork while reading my posts. I would hate to see any type of damage done to yourself. :(

HenryRules
07-20-2004, 07:11 PM
isn't part of being "overrated" actually being rated highly at one point in time?

Those Bills teams don't get a ton of respect outside of Buffalo fans - more often than not, they're thought of as choke-artists or losers if they're thought of at all (my personal thought is they were the 2nd best team of that era - Cowboys first). I don't know how someone can say they're overrated.

Goobylal
07-21-2004, 06:03 AM
The Bills had a winning record, actually a VERY good record, against the NFC during the regular season in the SB years. So calling them "overrated" is crap. They just failed to get it done in the big game, thanks to coaching and players staying out until the wee hours of the morning on gameday.

Historian
07-21-2004, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Goobylal
The Bills had a winning record, actually a VERY good record, against the NFC during the regular season in the SB years. So calling them "overrated" is crap. They just failed to get it done in the big game, thanks to coaching and players staying out until the wee hours of the morning on gameday.

I agree with this assessment, and add the reason that Jim Kelly is in the Hall of Fame....

They had to win a lot of games in those years.

In fact, I believe that only San Francisco had more wins in the time frame of the 90s.

Add to that with all the playoff games in the glory years, the Bills actually played a full additional season.

Calling them "overrated" is just someone trying to rewrite history....incorrectly.

Forward_Lateral
07-21-2004, 06:47 AM
I could be wrong, but I think they actually called the Bills of the 4 superbowl years "busts". Either way, how a team that made it to four straight superbowls, came back from being down by 30 plus points at half-time, destroyed the Raidas 51-whatever, and all that stuff, can be called over rated is laughable. It's like saying the Jazz in the NBA were over rated or the Braves in MLB before they won a title.

don137
07-21-2004, 07:09 AM
The way the guys write the story kind of hints that he never watched many games of the Bills during that era except during the Super Bowls. The Bills of the early 90's were very good teams but would never call them a dynasty.
I wouldn't put them in the category one of the biggest flops. Who was a bigger flop the Bengals or the Bills during that era? A flop wouldn't beat a team in the AFC Championship 51-3 or comeback to win a game after being down 35-3 in the 3rd quarter. I would put them in the category of a great team that never was able to get over the hump. Many teams come to mind with that label the Utah Jazz in basketball in the early 90's, the Indians of baseball in the late 90's just to name a few. To call them a flop is ignorant and wrong.

justasportsfan
07-21-2004, 07:26 AM
I agree. Anytime your D can't stop the likes of Hostetler, The redskins and gets dominated by the Cowboys OL, that D is overated.

Historian
07-21-2004, 07:34 AM
Wanna talk overrated...Emmitt Smith holds out in 1993, and the Cowboys go 0-2.

Tough division? Must have been real difficult beating up on the Cardinals Eagles and Giants every other week.

Sheesh.

Cntrygal
07-21-2004, 07:43 AM
If we were overrated for the four consecutive years..... then what about the Dolphins in '72? IMO... they are overrated every year.

Historian
07-21-2004, 08:08 AM
He claims the AFC was a weaker Conference, but I seem to remember The Steelers, Fish, Broncos, Oilers, Raiders, and Chiefs as quite competitive throughout those years.

The author seems to think that because we defeated a different challenger each year in the AFC Championship, that diminishes the teams accomplishments. It actually makes it more impressive, IMO, especially considering one was on the road.

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Cntrygal
If we were overrated for the four consecutive years..... then what about the Dolphins in '72? IMO... they are overrated every year.

Exactly, if the Dolphins were so dominant that year then how come they were the underdogs in that game? The 'Skins were favored by 3 points in that game so apparently they were "OVERRATED

If the Bills were so overrated how can you explain getting to the Super Bowl 4 times in a row? Call it what you will, but doing what they did will NEVER be done again, they were the best team in the AFC for 4 years and beat the likes of Marino, Montana, Elway, and Moon in the playoffs those years to get there.

I would definitely not say overrated, I would say unlucky at worst. They ran into some pretty dominant teams. A very good Parcells Giants team and the miracle Redskins of '91 and the beginning of the Dallas Dynasty, no one was gonna beat that team.

I can even venture to say that if Norwood makes that kick they go 2-2 in the Super Bowls, I think they win the 2nd game against Dallas. They had the lead coming out of the half and I think if they won one before they would have known how to finish that game off. Just my opinion but I believe it to be true and it helps me sleep at night :D

Michael82
07-21-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by ryjam282
I can even venture to say that if Norwood makes that kick they go 2-2 in the Super Bowls, I think they win the 2nd game against Dallas. They had the lead coming out of the half and I think if they won one before they would have known how to finish that game off. Just my opinion but I believe it to be true and it helps me sleep at night :D

That helps me sleep too. :up:

If only.... :sadwalk:

Historian
07-21-2004, 09:26 AM
Sorry, it just rots my shorts when some hack (who by his own admission, watched the Bills lose to the Giants at a frat party) tries to diminish the accomplishments of what was a very good football team, for a very long time.

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Mikey82
That helps me sleep too. :up:

If only.... :sadwalk:

Mikey, the autographs you and RJ will be trying to get me will surely help me sleep better too. :D;)

Michael82
07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Billsology
Sorry, it just rots my shorts when some hack (who by his own admission, watched the Bills lose to the Giants at a frat party) tries to diminish the accomplishments of what was a very good football team, for a very long time.

I agree and I still say ESPN is overrated. :shakeno:

Michael82
07-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Mikey, the autographs you and RJ will be trying to get me will surely help me sleep better too. :D;)

What autographs? You giving me any money? :$:

I need to spend my time talking with the players and writing nots for my training camp reports, plus taking all the pictures that I usually take. :up:

Oh and of course I need to get another football signed by the players. :D Maybe I can get you someone. :up:

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 10:19 AM
I am not greedy, just a few.

Michael82
07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
I am not greedy, just a few.

So, all I need to do is get some undrafted free agents to sign a few things and you will be happy? :snicker:

Cntrygal
07-21-2004, 12:45 PM
Exactly, if the Dolphins were so dominant that year then how come they were the underdogs in that game? The 'Skins were favored by 3 points in that game so apparently they were "OVERRATED

If the Bills were so overrated how can you explain getting to the Super Bowl 4 times in a row? Call it what you will, but doing what they did will NEVER be done again, they were the best team in the AFC for 4 years and beat the likes of Marino, Montana, Elway, and Moon in the playoffs those years to get there.

I would definitely not say overrated, I would say unlucky at worst. They ran into some pretty dominant teams. A very good Parcells Giants team and the miracle Redskins of '91 and the beginning of the Dallas Dynasty, no one was gonna beat that team.

:10:

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mikey82
So, all I need to do is get some undrafted free agents to sign a few things and you will be happy? :snicker:

Ooooh, please please please....I would absoultely gush over a nice Mark Graham autograph :rolleyes:

Jan Reimers
07-21-2004, 01:13 PM
Just getting there 4 straight years is a great accomplishment, one which in all probability will never be duplicated. ESPN should be ashamed for denigrating one of the great achievements of the last 25 years.

Michael82
07-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Okay, but I want a signed Ryan Withey #22 picture, before I send you the UDFA's autograph. :D

Michael82
07-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Jan Reimers
Just getting there 4 straight years is a great accomplishment, one which in all probability will never be duplicated. ESPN should be ashamed for denigrating one of the great achievements of the last 25 years.

Have you watched ESPN lately? They should be ashamed for what is happening to that channel and the programming. :shakeno:

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Heck if you or RJ can get the 2 jersys I am sending him signed by Spikes and Bledsoe like he said, I will send you both my Cedar Rapids Kernels baseball card, HAND SIGNED, not with the stamp, but by hand :snicker:

Michael82
07-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Heck if you or RJ can get the 2 jersys I am sending him signed by Spikes and Bledsoe like he said, I will send you both my Cedar Rapids Kernels baseball card, HAND SIGNED, not with the stamp, but by hand :snicker:

Why would you send them to him? He hardly went last year. I'm the moron with no life and the idiot who goes to every single training camp practice....to take notes/photos for all you ungrateful bastards. :snicker: :ontome:

:jk: :calm:

Michael82
07-21-2004, 01:53 PM
I will warn you...both of those players are the HARDEST to get. TKO hardly ever signed last year and Bledsoe was so hard to get to, because the lines are incredibly long.

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 02:05 PM
DAMN!!! Really? I have been talking to him and he told me it will be either you or him that gets them. He said you are more likely to get Bledsoe cause you waited around last year. If I had to choose one, I would really want TKO though, I would love Drew but TKO is the one I really want. I am sending him both jersey's so what ever you can get.

Michael82
07-21-2004, 02:07 PM
DAMN!!! Really? I have been talking to him and he told me it will be either you or him that gets them. He said you are more likely to get Bledsoe cause you waited around last year. If I had to choose one, I would really want TKO though, I would love Drew but TKO is the one I really want. I am sending him both jersey's so what ever you can get.

I gotta talk to him and see if he wants to go to the night practice, because that's the only time you are going to get close to Bledsoe. I finally got him last year, by giving my 8x10 photo to a little kid and having him get it autographed for me. I gave him a dollar for it. :up:

ryjam282
07-21-2004, 02:29 PM
I am sending the jerseys tomorrow, should I send them to you instead? I mean, he told me they were gonna be passed between the 2 of you on whoever is going. If you have to spot some cash, let me know, I will gladly reimburse you for it...