Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN says Super Bowl Bills were overrated

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep

ESPN says Super Bowl Bills were overrated

"It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I can't to the link but if they use the argument that we got there because of a gimmick offense, I could understand how somebody outside of Buffalo could have said that.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    They basically said it's because we were in a weak conference and didn't have a good enough defense

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Philagape
    They basically said it's because we were in a weak conference and didn't have a good enough defense
    I agree with the defense part...the division was not as strong as it has been the last 10 years...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    I do blame the defense for most of it. The defense was always the "bend but dont break" type under Walt Cory. Well, when you play in the SB, you have to take chances and turn it up a notch. What it also fails to recognize is the fact that we lost to 3 of the best head coaches ever to coach the game! Parcells, Gibbs, and Johnson.

Tell me they all wont be hall of famers some day!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Who cares what ESPN says? ESPN is OVERRATED! Seriously, that channel has really gone downhill lately and the site is a popup disaster! The only thing keeping my attention is Sports Center and Sunday Night Football.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    i love the bills but there is some validity to the fact that our defense was a little soft and that besides the first bowl, we did not play our best for the entire game which cost us each of those games.
    "once a raider always a raider"

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    People will always try to hate on our team, but no one can ever change the fact that we were the most dominant team of the 90's. True, we never won the big won, so what!! We were da shiznet for 4 strait yrs, and people who be dissing us all the time are just haters, and probably are either Cowgirl or Dolphins fans.
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    That guy should say that to Jim Kelly or Bruce Smith's face, and we'll see whose attitude changes.
    Beware the sack master!

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by elltrain22
    People will always try to hate on our team, but no one can ever change the fact that we were the most dominant team of the 90's. True, we never won the big won, so what!! We were da shiznet for 4 strait yrs, and people who be dissing us all the time are just haters, and probably are either Cowgirl or Dolphins fans.
    While the Buffalo teams of the early 1990's were very good and extremely talented, they were not the most dominant team of the decade. Based on Championships, you have to go with Dallas who won three within the decade. Also, the Niners and Broncos both won a pair of Lombardi Trophies ion the Nineties. Sorry guy, your guys team was the best in the AFC for four years, but nowhere near the most dominant. That is like saying the Braves were the most dominant team in MLB in the 90's. That distinction goes to the Yankees.

And yes, I am a Dolphins fan.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Most dominant of the 90s? no.
    Most dominant of the early 90s...without a doubt.

Originally posted by Samphin1
    And yes, I am a Dolphins fan.
    Admitting it is the first step to solving your problem

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by The_Philster
    Most dominant of the 90s? no.
    Most dominant of the early 90s...without a doubt.
    I would still argue for the Cowboys, but it holds more water than over the entire decade.

Originally posted by The_Philster Admitting it is the first step to solving your problem
    Agreed. So why not admit to whatever your problem is and get it off your chest?
    Last edited by Samphin1; 07-20-2004 at 06:20 PM.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Samphin1
    Agreed. So why not admit to whatever your problem is and get it off your chest?
    I have to look at this Fish fan's posts and have to refrain from poking my eyes out!!!

You're right...I feel much better now.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by The_Philster

I have to look at this Fish fan's posts and have to refrain from poking my eyes out!!!

You're right...I feel much better now.
    Glad I could help. In the future though, please refrain from eating with a knife and/or fork while reading my posts. I would hate to see any type of damage done to yourself.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    isn't part of being "overrated" actually being rated highly at one point in time?

Those Bills teams don't get a ton of respect outside of Buffalo fans - more often than not, they're thought of as choke-artists or losers if they're thought of at all (my personal thought is they were the 2nd best team of that era - Cowboys first). I don't know how someone can say they're overrated.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,128 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    The Bills had a winning record, actually a VERY good record, against the NFC during the regular season in the SB years. So calling them "overrated" is crap. They just failed to get it done in the big game, thanks to coaching and players staying out until the wee hours of the morning on gameday.

2020-2023 AFC East Champions! Historian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 28,517 Times in 15,596 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    Originally posted by Goobylal
    The Bills had a winning record, actually a VERY good record, against the NFC during the regular season in the SB years. So calling them "overrated" is crap. They just failed to get it done in the big game, thanks to coaching and players staying out until the wee hours of the morning on gameday.
    I agree with this assessment, and add the reason that Jim Kelly is in the Hall of Fame....

They had to win a lot of games in those years.

In fact, I believe that only San Francisco had more wins in the time frame of the 90s.

Add to that with all the playoff games in the glory years, the Bills actually played a full additional season.

Calling them "overrated" is just someone trying to rewrite history....incorrectly.

Registered User Forward_Lateral's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,129 Times in 4,307 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    I could be wrong, but I think they actually called the Bills of the 4 superbowl years "busts". Either way, how a team that made it to four straight superbowls, came back from being down by 30 plus points at half-time, destroyed the Raidas 51-whatever, and all that stuff, can be called over rated is laughable. It's like saying the Jazz in the NBA were over rated or the Braves in MLB before they won a title.

Thanks
    Power to Give Rep
    The way the guys write the story kind of hints that he never watched many games of the Bills during that era except during the Super Bowls. The Bills of the early 90's were very good teams but would never call them a dynasty.
    I wouldn't put them in the category one of the biggest flops. Who was a bigger flop the Bengals or the Bills during that era? A flop wouldn't beat a team in the AFC Championship 51-3 or comeback to win a game after being down 35-3 in the 3rd quarter. I would put them in the category of a great team that never was able to get over the hump. Many teams come to mind with that label the Utah Jazz in basketball in the early 90's, the Indians of baseball in the late 90's just to name a few. To call them a flop is ignorant and wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,485 Times in 7,099 Posts
    Power to Give Rep
    I agree. Anytime your D can't stop the likes of Hostetler, The redskins and gets dominated by the Cowboys OL, that D is overated.