PDA

View Full Version : Bledsoe is not today’s QB

The Spaz
07-29-2004, 06:40 AM
Last week I took Secrets of an NFL Scout, a book by the late Tony Razzano, and gave you Part 1 of a scrumptious soufflé of insights into the specific qualities that make good NFL players. It focused on defense. This week, I focus on offense and examine five Bills, just in time for training camp at St. John Fisher.

Quarterbacks

A quarterback needs arm strength and must have good throwing velocity. He needs to deliver the deep ball fast and accurately. He should have escapability --- a feel for when to step into the pocket and throw or when to shuffle and buy time. He has to read a play on the run, and should have a quick set-up, which is the time it takes to receive the snap, drop back, and throw.

On short throws, he should be precise and have a high completion percentage. He needs to easily locate secondary receivers, and must have good judgment and pocket poise.

http://www.rochester-citynews.com/gbase/Gyrosite/Content?oid=oid%3A2823

saviorbledsoe
07-29-2004, 06:41 AM
Was just waiting for someone to post the article. Let the horse beating begin!

The Spaz
07-29-2004, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Was just waiting for someone to post the article. Let the horse beating begin!

Sorry man I'm just posting the news.

The Spaz
07-29-2004, 06:46 AM
I do disagree however that Bledsoe isn't good at play action him and Ben Coates would thrive off that every year. They say Bledsoe has gotten slower with hsi movemenets well he was never fast to begin with so I'm not sure how much of adifference there is now.

saviorbledsoe
07-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Not your fault. Just the numbnuts who couldnt have the smarts and imagination to come up with something better to write about than yesterdays news. I wonder if a certain negative nancy finally got a real writing job?????? :)

saviorbledsoe
07-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by The Spaz
I do disagree however that Bledsoe isn't good at play action him and Ben Coates would thrive off that every year. They say Bledsoe has gotten slower with hsi movemenets well he was never fast to begin with so I'm not sure how much of adifference there is now.

he looked a little slow later in the year last year but that could have been that he was CONCUSSED! I think some people forget that Moulds and Henry werent the only injuries.

Bulldog
07-29-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm not as in love with Bledsoe as some people, but that whole article was terrible.

Pride
07-29-2004, 08:05 AM
I agree. As articles go, that was a pathetic attempt at writing.

TedMock
07-29-2004, 08:15 AM
Mark Campbell said that we didn't have one play action in the entire playbook last season. That means that this article is partly based on a few years ago. Bledsoe also made a name for himself as a QB because of play action and arm strength. Don't get me wrong, the guy also has some very notable faults, but the article loses validity when it discounts things the player is obviously good at.

bledslow
07-29-2004, 11:15 AM
bledsoe known for his playaction,good lord im gonna take that as a joke-CAUSE IT REALLY HAD TO BE.

The Spaz
07-29-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by bledslow
bledsoe known for his playaction,good lord im gonna take that as a joke-CAUSE IT REALLY HAD TO BE.

No it's a fact as 5 of us in this thread seem to recall it.

Mr. Cynical
07-29-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by saviorbledsoe
Not your fault. Just the numbnuts who couldnt have the smarts and imagination to come up with something better to write about than yesterdays news. I wonder if a certain negative nancy finally got a real writing job?????? :)

Why is it always wys when someone writes a non-Drew worshipping article?

This article, albeit short, is very accurate:

1. Drew IS slow and has gotten slower. Fact.
2. Drew is NOT a very accurate passer (57%). Fact.
3. Drew does NOT show very good poise in the pocket. Fact.
4. Drew has ZERO escapability. Fact.
5. Drew has a strong arm. Fact

As for play action, the author nailed that as well:

"Watch Jets QB Chad Pennington to see how fakes should work."

100% agree.

TedMock
07-29-2004, 12:36 PM
I like Drew, but not enough to have a great deal of bias. If it works out..good, if not..he's gone anyway. I don't like the "Drew worship" articles either. The problem is even worse on the other side, though. People are blinded by media hype, but others have to make constant remarks, articles, etc. that just continuously beat the crap out of him. That's just as bad. It's like these people that are voting for Kerry because they don't like Bush. It's the "anybody but him" thing that kills me. How about "why the alternative is better?" That's what I'd like to see from both sides. I've said it before...Bledsoe has some serious weaknesses...no doubt about it. There are some things he does well too. This is year 3, so it's do or die for him. It actually works out well for us because the alternative isn't quite ready according the people much closer to him than I am.

Mr. Cynical
07-29-2004, 01:03 PM
Ted - I agree that there has been a sentiment from people (including me) that "anybody" would be better than Drew. I was always of the mindset that we could get a journeyman vet at less than half his cost to perform just as well. But anyway, since we now have our future in JP (hopefully), it is just a matter of when not if we will get better.

IMO, the primary reasons for the frustrations are cost and time.

Cost - he is and never was worth the insane amount of cash we paid and are still paying him.

Time - we've been watching the QB position rot since Kelly left in '96 and it's time to make changes.

This is why many get frustrated with the fact that Drew is still behind center. We're tired of being weak at that position and paying through the nose at the same time. You wouldn't see all these articles if this were about another position on the team, or if it was about a journeyman QB making $1M. You see these articles because of Drew's "mirage" of being an elite QB, while not performing like one.

Anyway, not to worry. It will all be over next year. The 3 year Tour of Drew will become just a memory, much like the memory of all the other failed QBs since Kelly left. ;)

buffmaniac
07-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
Ted - I agree that there has been a sentiment from people (including me) that "anybody" would be better than Drew. I was always of the mindset that we could get a journeyman vet at less than half his cost to perform just as well. But anyway, since we now have our future in JP (hopefully), it is just a matter of when not if we will get better.

IMO, the primary reasons for the frustrations are cost and time.

Cost - he is and never was worth the insane amount of cash we paid and are still paying him.

Time - we've been watching the QB position rot since Kelly left in '96 and it's time to make changes.

This is why many get frustrated with the fact that Drew is still behind center. We're tired of being weak at that position and paying through the nose at the same time. You wouldn't see all these articles if this were about another position on the team, or if it was about a journeyman QB making $1M. You see these articles because of Drew's "mirage" of being an elite QB, while not performing like one.

Anyway, not to worry. It will all be over next year. The 3 year Tour of Drew will become just a memory, much like the memory of all the other failed QBs since Kelly left. ;)

We'll see.

Tom Donahoe, Tom Modrak, Mike Mularkey, Tom Clements, and Sam Wyche all seem to think that in the right situation Drew will succeed.

And the truth is that Drew is pretty much the same QB he has always been. An immobile strong armed pocket-passer. And in the right system with good coaching like he had earlier in his career under Parcells, Drew can be a very good QB. The only difference now may be that Drew is more experienced, more mature, and smarter than he was when he was younger.

I'm telling you with the changes we have made offensively Drew is going to surprise you with a very good year. You'll see.

Throne Logic
07-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by TedMock
Mark Campbell said that we didn't have one play action in the entire playbook last season.

It's the numerous tidbits like this one that everyone should focus on.

The coaching problems form the past two years are not someone's opinion. They are documented fact. Recorded statistics, such as nearly 80 straight pass attempts on 3rd and short, should not be overlooked.

Drew does have problems. Always has had them. Everyone in the league is aware of them. Drew also has a couple of assets that everyone in the league is aware of two. That's what happens when you've been around for 10 years. You aren't going to shock anyone with new abilities. Unfortunately, GW and Gilbride never seemed to have read that scouting report. Or any scouting report, for that matter.

As I've stated before, I absolutely refuse to judge the performance of any of last year's Offensive players because all of those performances were tainted by the coaching.

Case in point: Drew had nearly 50 sacks last season. How many do you think resulted from those nearly 80 straight 3rd and short pass attempts? Now, how many do you think resulted from the complete lack of a play action arrangement? That's just the two factors we've mentioned in this thread. Mr. Imobile might cut his sack total in half this year with very little change on his part. If Sam can teach Drew to let it go a bit sooner, that number might drop by 2/3.

Philagape
07-29-2004, 08:19 PM
All signs point to a Drew comeback. He's proven that he can play very well, with help. Help has arrived.

Hemlepp53
07-29-2004, 09:02 PM
Drew Bledsoe.. I wont lie fellas I went out and Bought myself a Drew Jersey... =P But last season was not impressive... Leaving 2002 season I was hopefull.. hell I was VERY Hopefull. I thought we were Playoff Bound... ;) Again... I think its possible this season as well.. But thats a different Thread... I want Drew play like a BIG MONEY QB should play. He has all the tools at his disposal to to have a Career Season, but will he. Time will tell. I place faith in the new coaching staff and the new WARRIORS we have added to our TEAM. The question is what was the problem Drew had last year was it the Lack of Receivers, The Lack of Protection, The Playbook, The Coaching Staff, or DREW... I can tell you whatever the problem was it was surely addressed this off season. We got receivers!!! We Got Help On The Protection Issues, We got a NEW playbook, We got new Coaching Staff, And hell fellas we got a decent guy riding Shotgun (JP). So lets all stop reading things we feel like we've 1500 times and focus on what is to come not what has left. Just my thoughts... I'm sure I RANTED on and on.. But hey guys "GET USED TO IT..." =P

Jan Reimers
07-30-2004, 11:00 AM
If this team shapes up as most of us expect - better coaching, O line, running attack and receivers - but Drew still struggles, I think most of us who have supported him will say honestly that his time is up.

Charlieguide
07-31-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by TedMock
Mark Campbell said that we didn't have one play action in the entire playbook last season. . .

:hamrhed:

WHAT?!?!?!?! How can you have a TOP TIER running back in Travis Henry, getting near (exceeding, in some cases) 5ypc, and not have a SINGLE play action in the book?! I can't get over how brilliant Gilbride's passing theory can be, when his overall gameplan is so WACKED!

(why does this even surprise me?)

As for Drew, let's not forget that this is the same guy that nearly broke Marino's single-season passing record in 2002. Yeah, I think you've got to at least be kinda good to do that. :rolleyes:

Mr. Cynical
07-31-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Charlieguide
As for Drew, let's not forget that this is the same guy that nearly broke Marino's single-season passing record in 2002. Yeah, I think you've got to at least be kinda good to do that. :rolleyes:

Marino's record: 5084 Yards, 48 TDs / 17 INTs
Drew's '02 stats: 4359 Yards, 24 TDs / 15 INTs

Jan Reimers
07-31-2004, 06:39 AM
I'm amazed that Eli, Big Ben and Rivers were all taken so early when clearly - according to this moronic article at least - they suffer from many of the same shortcomings which plague Drew.

If you believe the author, we got the best of the top 4 QBs in Losman.

Charlieguide
07-31-2004, 11:30 AM
Marino's record: 5084 Yards, 48 TDs / 17 INTs
Drew's '02 stats: 4359 Yards, 24 TDs / 15 INTs

And that's not impressive?

Recall that through most of the season, he was on/ahead of Marino's pace; it was the last few games that production slipped. Thank you Kevin Gilbride for 'sticking with the gameplan that has worked so far.'

Dozerdog
07-31-2004, 11:31 AM
Who wrote that stuff anyway???

:couch:

Mr. Cynical
07-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Charlieguide
And that's not impressive?

Recall that through most of the season, he was on/ahead of Marino's pace; it was the last few games that production slipped. Thank you Kevin Gilbride for 'sticking with the gameplan that has worked so far.'

I didn't say it wasn't impressive. I was just showing that it wasn't quite as close as the word "nearly" implies.

The difference between them is 725 yards. Since Drew's average was 272 YPG, he would have needed almost 3 more games to close that gap. And the fact that Marino threw exactly twice as many TDs (48 vs. 24) with only 2 more INTs is not very close at all.

Now, I completely agree KG was an idiot and that certainly didn't help him. But the greats seem to somehow make things work out (for the most part...nobody is perfect). Drew had some very good numbers that year (at least for half the season) but that's pretty much been the trend of his career - inconsistency.

And one more point on another of his career trends. His record that year against teams .500 and over was 3-8 (2 wins over Mia; 1 over SD) and 5-0 vs. teams with losing records (where most of his good stats came from). Yes this is a team game but it is still worth noting IMO.

buffmaniac
08-01-2004, 08:16 AM
And one more point on another of his career trends. His record that year against teams .500 and over was 3-8 (2 wins over Mia; 1 over SD) and 5-0 vs. teams with losing records (where most of his good stats came from). Yes this is a team game but it is still worth noting IMO.

But that is like that for any QB. Look at Brady. Now last year they only lost 2 games the whole year so you have to get them credit. But look at his first 2 years:

9-0 vs. teams with losing record
2-3 vs. teams .500 or better

3-0 vs. teams with losing record
6-7 vs. teams .500 or better

Mr. Cynical
08-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by buffmaniac
But that is like that for any QB. Look at Brady. Now last year they only lost 2 games the whole year so you have to get them credit. But look at his first 2 years:

9-0 vs. teams with losing record
2-3 vs. teams .500 or better

3-0 vs. teams with losing record
6-7 vs. teams .500 or better

I don't have the stat handy but Drew's career W-L against teams over 500 is really bad, especially for someone at his salary. Also it is important to remember that this is over an 11 year span, not just a couple of years.

Not sure why you continue comparing to Brady. Is it because of BB getting rid of Drew and keeping Brady? Fair enough. Thing is, I think it's more relevant to compare him to other QBs who have been making the same kind of money Drew has, e.g., Favre, Manning, McNair, etc. If you compare his W-L against winning teams against those QBs you'll see a much bigger gap.

P.S. Even looking at those years for Brady - he is almost 500 against winning teams, which is still far better than Drew*.

* Before anyone says it, yes I know it is a team game.

Edit: I'm done with the Reality of Drew for awhile. I'm even getting on my own nerves now. ;) I'll give it a rest for....say, a week. :D