PDA

View Full Version : Players starting to crack already?

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-17-2004, 07:49 AM
John Madden said that he would be willing to accept a salary cap to save the upcoming hockey season.

Dozerdog
09-17-2004, 07:58 AM
...or a couple of Turduckens

Myers57
09-17-2004, 08:57 AM
I don't think he is cracking, I think he is a resonable player who wants to play...

Ebenezer
09-17-2004, 09:32 AM
I don't think he is cracking, I think he is a resonable player who wants to play...
he is not the unreasonable man in charge of the union...see ya in 2006.

Đ²
09-17-2004, 10:33 AM
John Madden is a scrub who would be lucky to make $1.8 million...

Let's see how many times his teamates pass the puck to him for scoring opportunities after he made those comments.

Ebenezer
09-17-2004, 10:41 AM

Let's see how many times his teamates pass the puck to him for scoring opportunities after he made those comments.
won't matter...if there is no game before 2006 many of the guys over 32 will be out anyway...

Đ²
09-17-2004, 02:05 PM
That's why the players are holding out...so the young guys coming up don't get screwed with a ridiculous lowball 14-year deal like the owners are proposing. Most of the high dollar guys have already made their fortune, so it's a matter of principle to them, and like I say, most have deeper pockets than half the current NHL owners.

If the high-priced vets cared only about money, they would screw the kids coming into the league and push to settle now because existing contracts are grandfathered for 2-3 years, I believe.

qcsabresfan84
09-17-2004, 02:18 PM

I dont know if i would call a Selke award winner a scrub. Hes probably pulling in more than 3 million, if not four.

Đ²
09-17-2004, 02:53 PM
My apologies....

Madden signed for $2 million this year, the same salary that that scrub, Tie Domi made last year (if you don't count the $25,000 in cash he got from his brother)

SkateZilla
09-17-2004, 07:21 PM
they are cracking because they have no job or insurance,

so if htye get hurt or their family gets hurt they are slapped witht he huge bill and no money to pay for it...

take away anyones paycheck and insurance and they'll crack..

Myers57
09-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Whats with you and insurance?

SkateZilla
09-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Whats with you and insurance?

Numours Sports Site Already Stated, Most of hte High Paid Players With Huge Contracts Invilving Millions Also Used Insurance Companies Owned By the NHL.

As a Result of the Lockout Those Services Are Locked As Well..

Which Means No Medical Insurance... For the player or his family if he has one..

i dont know about you.. but when i broke my arm the bill came up to roughly $12,000 (Xrays, Materials, Physical Therapy, Muscle Surgery, Greedy Doctors that charge about $500/hour plus other crap, drugs... Etc) Insurance Covered 11,500 Of it

I Dont remember how much It was when i seriously Screwed up my knee to the point where i wasnt able to walk foir a month and a half but image around $3,000..

pyrrhonist
09-18-2004, 02:31 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=99014&hubName=nhl

Myers57
09-18-2004, 09:16 AM
Numours Sports Site Already Stated, Most of hte High Paid Players With Huge Contracts Invilving Millions Also Used Insurance Companies Owned By the NHL.

As a Result of the Lockout Those Services Are Locked As Well..

Which Means No Medical Insurance... For the player or his family if he has one..

i dont know about you.. but when i broke my arm the bill came up to roughly $12,000 (Xrays, Materials, Physical Therapy, Muscle Surgery, Greedy Doctors that charge about $500/hour plus other crap, drugs... Etc) Insurance Covered 11,500 Of it

I Dont remember how much It was when i seriously Screwed up my knee to the point where i wasnt able to walk foir a month and a half but image around $3,000..

haha i have not been in the hospital for a while but I guess it is an important issue...

I don't feel any pity for the players because i am sure they can find their own insurance in the upcoming year...

clumping platelets
09-19-2004, 03:06 AM
I'm not shedding any tears for the players.

The_Philster
09-19-2004, 06:04 AM
I'm not shedding any tears for the players.
Ditto, their own greed is a big reason for this lockout!! :mad:

SkateZilla
09-19-2004, 08:21 AM
the cocky i want 10 Million a year players brought this on theirself...

Đ²
09-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Medical insurance cost @ $6,000 a year per family member to purchase.

Chump change to these guys...

SkateZilla
09-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Voiding Insurance By Switching Primaries Is Contract breaching, and a Supplemental Insurance will only cover 15% of the bills.

Đ²
09-21-2004, 08:50 AM
Huhhhh ????

It's a free country. You can buy health insurance wherever you want.

chernobylwraiths
09-23-2004, 11:09 AM
There is greed on BOTH sides in this dispute. The players make too damned much, that is for certain. If the players think they are going to keep riding the money train, that train has been sold for scrap iron. It is not economically viable.

That doesn't mean the owners don't bear some responsibility too. They are the ones who have been PAYING the outrageous contracts. And they were doing it knowing that there wasn't any TV money coming in.

There needs to be revenue sharing so that the teams with the money can share some revenues with the teams without much and there needs to be a salary cap. I see both sides being pigheaded in this and it will cancel this season.

Đ²
09-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Some people forget that the owners have locked out the players.

Ebenezer
09-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Some people forget that the owners have locked out the players.
c'est la vie...

Đ²
09-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Hey, this is costing them big time. They have to pay back NHL Centre Ice subscribers with long-term contracts, zero revenue coming in, etc.

That $300 M slush fund will dry up in a big hurry, by Feb/March at the latest.

Ebenezer
09-23-2004, 03:26 PM
Hey, this is costing them big time. They have to pay back NHL Centre Ice subscribers with long-term contracts, zero revenue coming in, etc.

That $300 M slush fund will dry up in a big hurry, by Feb/March at the latest.
Between the slush fund and the lack of games the Sabres will get about $15 mil in return...thus, about an $8 mil gain for not playing the games...Galisano is a billionaire...he can hold out forever.

SkateZilla
09-23-2004, 10:59 PM
Buffalo, dallas, atlanta, ottawa, and corolina,

have all gone on record saying if there is no play during this season they will make anywhere between 10-24 million if not more.

Ebenezer
09-23-2004, 11:33 PM
Buffalo, dallas, atlanta, ottawa, and corolina,

have all gone on record saying if there is no play during this season they will make anywhere between 10-24 million if not more.
I see the players have halted their Super star league...:rofl:

Đ²
09-27-2004, 09:19 AM
And if you believe those numbers can be sustained, I want some of what you're smoking.

The big teams are not in the business of subsidising the weaker ones and owners like Golisano will be long gone when the subsidy dissapears.

Ebenezer
09-27-2004, 10:28 AM
And if you believe those numbers can be sustained, I want some of what you're smoking.

The big teams are not in the business of subsidising the weaker ones and owners like Golisano will be long gone when the subsidy dissapears.
you keep pushing the strength of the players...we'll see in the end...it's going to be a very long cold nuclear winter...

Đ²
09-27-2004, 11:37 AM
Remember, the NHL doesn't hold a monopoly on hockey and they are the ones who locked the players out.

A bunch of smart businessmen could scoop top-level pro hockey out from under the NHL owners in a heartbeat. They may have to play in cow barns for maybe a year or so until the NHL teams all go bankrupt for lack of revenue, but the big arenas will be available again by 2006.

Think about it, In Canada, new teams could set up in Copps Colliseum in Hamilton, in the new 10,000 seat arena in London, at the Civic Centre in Ottawa, at Winnipeg Arena and at Le Collisee in Quebec City as a temporary measure along with European teams in Stockholm, Helsinki, Prague, Moscow & possibly a German & a Slovak entry.

I met a fellow at my hotel bar in Toronto a few weeks ago who is the director of the Globe Arena in Stockholm & while he couldn't give me much in the way of details, he said watch the tele because by Christmas, there will be a big surprise in hockey.
These guys have their eyes on the prize and the Bettman Boys will be left holding the bag.

Cliff Klaven
09-27-2004, 11:40 AM
Remember, the NHL doesn't hold a monopoly on hockey and they are the ones who locked the players out.

A bunch of smart businessmen could scoop top-level pro hockey out from under the NHL owners in a heartbeat. They may have to play in cow barns for maybe a year or so until the NHL teams all go bankrupt for lack of revenue, but the big arenas will be available again by 2006.

Think about it, In Canada, new teams could set up in Copps Colliseum in Hamilton, in the new 10,000 seat arena in London, at the Civic Centre in Ottawa, at Winnipeg Arena and at Le Collisee in Quebec City as a temporary measure along with European teams in Stockholm, Helsinki, Prague, Moscow & possibly a German & a Slovak entry.

I met a fellow at my hotel bar in Toronto a few weeks ago who is the director of the Globe Arena in Stockholm & while he couldn't give me much in the way of details, he said watch the tele because by Christmas, there will be a big surprise in hockey.
These guys have their eyes on the prize and the Bettman Boys will be left holding the bag.
Ah yes. I remember the old New England Whalers. That was such a fantastic league. Did you know that WHA really stood for the Who Has Any money league? They didn't want to shorted it to WHAM because they thought that it sounded funny.

Đ²
09-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Yes, but they had to compete with the NHL. For 75% of NHL teams, they are at most 12 months away from bankruptcy with revenues coming in. I repeat, the NHL does not hold a monopoly on top-level pro hockey and these guys (in collusion with the players and some of the current NHL ownership) are operating under a scorched earth policy.

Banks don't take too kindly to businesses that aren't showing a positive number on the balance sheet.

Cliff Klaven
09-27-2004, 12:18 PM
Yes, but they had to compete with the NHL. For 75% of NHL teams, they are at most 12 months away from bankruptcy with revenues coming in. I repeat, the NHL does not hold a monopoly on top-level pro hockey and these guys (in collusion with the players and some of the current NHL ownership) are operating under a scorched earth policy.

Banks don't take too kindly to businesses that aren't showing a positive number on the balance sheet.
Some of the Bruins were in Cheers last week. They were overjoyed with the possibility of spending 8 months in Prague playing for pennies on the dollar. Then they erected a statue to Diane thinking she was the hottest woman on earth.

SabreEleven
09-27-2004, 04:38 PM
The Buffalo team could play in the Aud

Đ²
09-27-2004, 09:01 PM
LOL, with the rats