PDA

View Full Version : Let's play a little game

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2004, 01:57 PM
...tells you that as of 3PM EST today you are representing him as the owner from this day forward and can do anything you want. His only request is that you turn the team around ASAP.

What are the first 5 things you do?

I realize there will be a ton of jokes to follow....some good ones too I'm sure....but let's try to be serious as well. I'm very interested to see what some people would do as the new owner rep of the Bills.

Dr. Optimist, SB
09-27-2004, 02:06 PM
...tells you that as of 3PM EST today you are representing him as the owner from this day forward and can do anything you want. His only request is that you turn the team around ASAP.

I realize there will be a ton of jokes to follow....some good ones too I'm sure....but let's try to be serious as well. I'm very interested to see what some people would do as the new owner rep of the Bills.
Id hire you as President and GM.

Earthquake Enyart
09-27-2004, 02:10 PM
I would sue the pants off of Bills Report to get them to stop publishing drivel.

I would can the white uni's

I would hire Ron Wolfe no matter how much money that would cost. TD would report to him or be gone.

I would hire massive security to disperse the Pinto ceremonies.

I would hire Jimmy Johnson, no matter how much money it would take.

Mr. Miyagi
09-27-2004, 02:20 PM
And I would fire all of the Jills and hire all of the Eagles cheerleaders, no matter how much money they would cost.

TedMock
09-27-2004, 02:21 PM
1. Hire the best darn Estate Attorney in the country to devise an estate plan that would allow me to leave the team to my heirs, whereas they aren't overwhelmed by taxes resulting in a sale and relocation.

2. Buy an Island outside of Aruba. I love the caribbean and they're not in the hurricane belt.

3. Sit on my couch all day with a cooler of beer next to me and one hand down my pants.....because I can.

4. Discipline and accountability in practice. Although we've played horribly as a team in the first two games, we were still in them. A few mental errors hear and there changed the scope. Not getting rid of the ball, a hold, a drop, etc. Instill fines, team runs, etc. for every mental mistake. No more "dumbassing" our way out of a win.

5. Pull off a controversial trade for as many draft picks possible. You win and lose in the trenches, so if that means we downgrade (depends on who you ask) in other areas....so be it. Maybe start a young QB next year, but draft the heck out of lineman.

Would anybody else be willing to give up a Henry, Moulds, Bledsoe, or all for stud lineman on both sides of the ball, and a lot of draft picks? NE's won 2 superbowls in 3 years while watching a young, average QB grow into a legitimate star, 3 mediocre WR's, a medicore RB, and great lineman on both sides of the ball.

Patrick76777
09-27-2004, 02:23 PM
I would sue the pants off of Bills Report to get

LMAO

Patrick76777
09-27-2004, 02:30 PM
1. I’d put some sinks that actually work in the bathroom. Nothing worse than standing in there for 15 minutes waving in front of that sensor.

2. I’d call Wys to find out what he would do

3. I’d do exactly opposite of what Wys told me to do!

4. I’d start paying the Jills and I’d do the hiring. Entire old staff needs to re-apply

5. Huge party in the Owners box with all my peeps and my new GF who I met at the Jills try-outs.

Tatonka
09-27-2004, 03:07 PM
1. cut bledsoe.

2. trade mcgahee

3. use every draft pick on centers, guards, and tackles.

4. institute a birthday suit game where the cheerleaders could only wear that.

5. cut drew bledsoe.

OpIv37
09-27-2004, 03:09 PM
1. cut bledsoe.

2. trade mcgahee

5. cut drew bledsoe.

who would you replace him with? And be realistic- someone we could actually afford, no one who's injured (Losman)

Mr. Miyagi
09-27-2004, 03:11 PM
who would you replace him with? And be realistic- someone we could actually afford, no one who's injured (Losman)
Oh no, not this again. :cynic:

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2004, 03:29 PM
I would sue the pants off of Bills Report to get them to stop publishing drivel.

I would can the white uni's

I would hire Ron Wolfe no matter how much money that would cost. TD would report to him or be gone.

I would hire Jimmy Johnson, no matter how much money it would take.These are all actually pretty good ones (although not sure if the Pinto security was a joke or not)

Those white unis are awful, and so are the blue pants (how many friggin stripes do you need....gees). Dump them.

On a more serious note...

TIME TO CLEAN HOUSE.

17-33 and falling (5 game losing streak), no playoffs since '99, means we need an overhaul.

As much as I hate Jimmuh, and as much as I always promote having character on the team, I'm at that point where I would take him. There's little doubt he could turn things around here. Nothing against MM...it is still early and he could pan out. But given the choice between he and JJ...well there is no choice. Dump MM.
Ron Wolfe would be a good idea as well, although TD would never adapt to it. He is too much of a control freak (see Pittsburgh) Hence, get Wolfe and let him decide who to get. Dump TD.
Start Matthews until JP is healthy and then start him. No need to continue demoralizing this team. Drew has lost his confidence and they in him. Time to start the healing. Dump Drew.
Start serious negotations on obtaining some new oline players via some trades, e.g., Henry. There's not much we can do this year unfortunately, but I would at least begin talks for next year. As for who to keep, I would dump as many as I could replace with FA and the draft. Time to start the healing. Dump the oline.
Defensively I would get a real FS in there since we're getting burned to a crisp. Rest of the D should be okay when the offense actually plays beyond the high school level.

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2004, 03:29 PM
1. cut bledsoe.

2. trade mcgahee

5. cut drew bledsoe.
:up:

(altho I would replace #2 with TH....I just see alot more upside with WM)

BillsFanInMass
09-27-2004, 04:11 PM
I would put Drew Bledsoe in for kick returns and punt returns for the rest of the season as punishment for sucking so bad. This season is a lost cause already

Tatonka
09-27-2004, 04:21 PM

i was assuming i was taking over next year..

i wouldnt cut bledsoe this year.

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2004, 04:26 PM
i was assuming i was taking over next year..

i wouldnt cut bledsoe this year.
The game is you would be taking over as of today...even so, I still think you have the right idea w/ Drew.

I wonder if there is any money to be saved by dumping him now? As the new owner, I would definitely be interested in knowing that. :D

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2004, 04:28 PM
I would put Drew Bledsoe in for kick returns and punt returns for the rest of the season as punishment for sucking so bad. This season is a lost cause alreadyOuch.

I wouldn't want him to get hurt. Just benched or dropped would be fine with me. His peaceful ranch in Montana awaits.

ArcticWildMan
09-27-2004, 04:42 PM
1. Move Mike Williams to Right Guard. Slide Marcus Jones into Right Tackle.
2. Move Jonas Jennings to Center and move Trey Teague to Left Guard.
3. Find a new kicker
4. Demote Coy Wire to special teams only
5. Give Drew 2 games to turn things around. Bench him if he doesn't.

EDS
09-27-2004, 04:57 PM

(1) It is too early to hit the panic button.

(2) Drew should remain at the helm at least until Loseman is healthy and then we should evalute whether to build towards next season or salvage this season/make a run for the playoffs.

(3) Neither McGahee or Henry have been impressive as of yet, so again, we should wait till the off-season to evaluate what to do. At that time, we should trade one of the two for draft picks or offensive linemen.

(4) Definitely need a better beer selection at the stadium.

(5) If the offensive line does not improve, I would make wholesale changes for next year.

ScottLawrence
09-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Assuming this all takes place at the end of the year, I would then dump Donahoe and take over as GM of the team.........

1) Cut Drew Bledsoe and wish him good luck, name JP Losman the starter for the 2005 season.

2) Offer no less than a first round pick for Travis Henry or a player for player trade in exchange for a pro bowl Tackle or Center.

3)Make Eric Moulds, Trey Teague, and Mike Williams take pay cuts..... Move Mike Williams to Guard and, sign a quality Tackle to replace his spot or resign Marcus Price and name him the starter at RT.

4) Draft or sign a true Center.

5) Place the transition tag on Jonnas Jennings and, attempt to resign Pat Williams to a short deal for reasonable money.... if not, let him walk and name Tim Anderson the starter in his place and, maybe draft a defensive tackle in the early round of the draft.

FTG
09-27-2004, 05:48 PM
1. I would let the coach know that Bledsoe is to be benched if he struggles in the first half against NE. He can start again the following week if Matthews does no better.

2. Tell them to play McGahee more. I want to see what I have.

3. Lower the concession stand prices until we make the playoffs again.

4. Fire Billy Buffalo

5. Revoke Phils season tickets

RedEyE
09-27-2004, 06:14 PM
1) Bench Bledsoe to backup role

2) Make a 1 year offer to bring in currently retired OT Lincoln Kennedy

3) Move Mike Williams to LG

4) Release Pucillo

5) Axe TD and appoint Modrak new GM

Mr. Cynical
09-27-2004, 06:22 PM
4. Fire Billy Buffalo

5. Revoke Phils season tickets:roflmao:

Best post of the day.

(no offense phil...but it was kinda funny)

The_Philster
09-27-2004, 07:43 PM
And I would fire all of the Jills and hire all of the Eagles cheerleaders, no matter how much money they would cost.
The Bills don't run the Jills :shakeno:

Turf
09-27-2004, 11:02 PM
First five things I assume in offseason:

1) Fire TD

2) Hire Joe Gibbs, triple his salary in WA, and give up a 1st rounder if necessary. Ralph, you need to spend money on a real coach, you aren't a coach. ( Note* I assume Gibbs is smart enough to get an O-line, so I'll skip this obvious fact.)

3) Fire the special teams coach and Lindell, and make winning and losing games by special teams a priority (Music City Miracle anyone? How many years will this poor play continue?)

4) Let Drew go and move on

5) Get rid of Jerry Grey and his no brain soft corner zone low pressure scared to make a call defense.

Jayhawk
09-28-2004, 12:07 AM
1. Bring back Marv in some capacity, proabably something where he has to use big words

2. Cut the offensive line, or trade some of them for some other team's backups

3. fire TD

4. Make the Jills my personal dancers

5. Wipe out anything in the record books that includes - Greg Williams or Rob Johnson

Marvelous
09-28-2004, 12:38 AM
end of the year cuts Wire,Puccilo, Drew, Reese,Shelton
-Draft or trade for a mean center.
-Paycut Mike Williams, Moulds like a poster suggested.
-Let Pat Williams go or trade him if that's a option.
-Hire JJ no matter what and give him control over all personel. Have Modrak handle the contracts and Stadium BS.

SStudawgg
09-28-2004, 01:42 AM
Sign Casey Printers QB fm CFL - similar to Doug Flutie, Warren Moon, Joe Theisman.

He's gonna be a good one

SStudawgg
09-28-2004, 01:54 AM
Casey Printers

Info

http://www.bclions.com/meet.php?letter=p

Stats

http://www.cfl.ca/CFLStatistics04/bc_reg1.pdf

He's worked hard on his game. Improved his arm strength fm his college days
Mobile as anything. He's gonna end up in the NFL. It's just a Question of
When and where.

Historian
09-28-2004, 06:08 AM
1. Dump Donahoe, make Levy GM.

2. Coax Dwight Adams out of retirement.

3. Make Wyche Assistant Head Coach.

4. Change the uniforms back to 1973's unis, and bring back the white helmet with the red bison.

5. Slash ticket prices 15% across the board, 20% for season ticket holders.

6. Fire Brandon and Berchtold, replace them with competent people.

7. Dome the stadium.

8. Train fan site individuals to run the official website.

9. Start a fan outreach program. Market travel packages to opposing team's fans.

10. Turn the old Administration building into a Bills museum.

11. Play one preseason game in the Carrier Dome.

12. Play one regular season game in the Sky Dome.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-28-2004, 06:50 AM
1. I cut cheerleaders from my NFL team

2. I sell the team to the highest bidder in LA

3. I retire from work

4. I buy houses around the states (Gettysburg, Alexandria, VA, etc)

5. I try to enjoy every day of the rest of my life, maybe taking up golf, or maybe build my own golf course.

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-28-2004, 06:52 AM
1. Dump Donahoe, make Levy GM.

2. Coax Dwight Adams out of retirement.

3. Make Wyche Assistant Head Coach.

4. Change the uniforms back to 1973's unis, and bring back the white helmet with the red bison.

5. Slash ticket prices 15% across the board, 20% for season ticket holders.

6. Fire Brandon and Berchtold, replace them with competent people.

7. Dome the stadium.

8. Train fan site individuals to run the official website.

9. Start a fan outreach program. Market travel packages to opposing team's fans.

10. Turn the old Administration building into a Bills museum.

11. Play one preseason game in the Carrier Dome.

12. Play one regular season game in the Sky Dome.

Ralph would thank you for bankrupting his team!

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
09-28-2004, 09:12 AM
1) Sit down with Donahoe, Modrak, Mularky, Clements and Gray and tell them if they don't break .500 this year, at least 2 of them are gone...I would decide at the end of the season who didn't put it all on the line to improve the team and ax them.

2) Change the uniforms to something respectable. I like the seventies unis with the standing buffalo/white helmet, but the pants and jerseys would have to be modernized a bit.

3) Advise Drew Bledsoe that he is in fact playing for his career. He is not guaranteed a job if he does not perform. He needs to be a leader as well as a player and needs to make one final push for the playoffs.

4) Shuffle the oline as follows: LT-Marcus Price, LG Mike Williams, C Jonas Jennings, RG Chris Villarrial, RT Trey Teague. Make sure the OLine knows everyone in the league doubts their manhood and put a chip on their shoulders.

5) Advise the public of my plans and hold a series of meetings with fans to let them share partial control of the team. Make the Bills the first NFL team that is "of the people, for the people, by the people"

The_Philster
09-28-2004, 05:38 PM
7. Dome the stadium.:jawdrop: Bite your tongue

HenryRules
09-28-2004, 06:59 PM
1 - Fire Tom Donahoe.
2 - Hire Ron Wolf as a consultant/adviser to me and my new GM (next line).
3 - With the help of Ron Wolf, interview Scott Softli, Tom Heckert, John Schneider (I'd really ask Ron Wolf's opinion on him) or any other young executives in the league.
4 - Give the new GM/Ron Wolf a clean slate as far as coaches - I would not hold them responsible for the previous administrations mistakes. While I like MM, if my new administration doesn't, I'd let them make the change.
5 - Give the new administration a deadline of 4 years to make the playoffs. I understand that it will take them a while to clean up the mess, but I want them to do it right. The 5th year of their contract would be guaranteed upon a single playoff appearance.

socalfan
09-29-2004, 12:34 AM
1. I cut cheerleaders from my NFL team

2. I sell the team to the highest bidder in LA

3. I retire from work

4. I buy houses around the states (Gettysburg, Alexandria, VA, etc)

5. I try to enjoy every day of the rest of my life, maybe taking up golf, or maybe build my own golf course.

Sweet.

Voltron
09-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Yeah fire a brand new coach with a 5 year contract. You could also start a pile of money on fire !! That is about as smart :rolleyes:

I can't believe people want to fire a coaching staff after 2 f'in games!!!!!

Fans know nothing about running an NFL team. if you don't believe me look above at some of the ideas some fans have and my point is proven.

That is why we have other jobs and they have jobs running football teams :shakeno:

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Yeah fire a brand new coach with a 5 year contract. You could also start a pile of money on fire !! That is about as smart :rolleyes:

Fans know nothing about running an NFL team. if you don't believe me look above at some of the ideas some fans have and my point is proven.

That is why we have other jobs and they have jobs running football teams :shakeno:

Hey, I am honest, I would sell the team and make a hundred million dollars for myself.

Michael82
09-29-2004, 01:41 PM
Hey, I am honest, I would sell the team and make a hundred million dollars for myself.
Two things...

#1...that is disgusting to even suggest. You should be hung for it. :cynic:

#2...If you think you will only make 100 million bucks, then I bet tons of businesses in Western NY would be more than happy to buy the team for that price from you. :snicker:

TheGhostofJimKelly
09-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Two things...

#1...that is disgusting to even suggest. You should be hung for it. :cynic:

#2...If you think you will only make 100 million bucks, then I bet tons of businesses in Western NY would be more than happy to buy the team for that price from you. :snicker:

Hey, I'm not greedy, I would take 100 million for something that was given to me. Of course I would sell to someone in Buffalo first.

Forward_Lateral
09-29-2004, 04:52 PM
1. Fire Steve Tasker as colour man, he's a dolt. Hire Jim Kelly and Jim Harbaugh to work together. (LOL)

2. Move big Mike to guard, bring Peters in to tackle.

3. If the Line fails to give Drew more than an avg of 3 seconds a pass, make them each play QB for a set of downs, with the Jills blocking for them, see how they like it.

4. "Accidentally" flick hambone Ryan Lindell's leg and break it, forcing him to retire and then bring back Steve Christie after the NYG cut him.

5. Ban Mr. Cynical from all Buffalo Bills message boards for life. LOL

Mr. Cynical
09-29-2004, 05:23 PM
5. Ban Mr. Cynical from all Buffalo Bills message boards for life. LOLSorry. You're stuck with me for a very, very long time. :tongue: :snicker:

Michael82
09-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Sorry. You're stuck with me for a very, very long time. :tongue: :snicker:
Maybe you'll be willing to break a few rules...then....

:banned:

:snicker: :ontome:

Mr. Cynical
09-29-2004, 05:29 PM
Maybe you'll be willing to break a few rules...then....

:banned:

:snicker: :ontome:Nope, not me.

:halo:

HenryRules
09-29-2004, 05:33 PM

If you're referring to me, I did not say that they would have to be fired. What I suggested is that their retention would be left up to the the next administration brought in. I realize it's a lot of money - however, you're not going to get anyone worthwhile to replace TD unless you give him choice of coaching staffs. I don't think this team will be competitive until TD is gone - and that has a huge impact on ticket sales. So while, firing the coaching staff may cost money in one sense, bringing in a better GM/president that will win more games will sell more tickets and thus bring in more money.

TD has done well with ticket sales so far, but that is due to honeymoon/optimism coming into this season. Unless we have a winning record this year, next year is going to be an entirely different story.

Mr. Cynical
09-29-2004, 05:39 PM
If you're referring to me, I did not say that they would have to be fired. What I suggested is that their retention would be left up to the the next administration brought in. I realize it's a lot of money - however, you're not going to get anyone worthwhile to replace TD unless you give him choice of coaching staffs. I don't think this team will be competitive until TD is gone - and that has a huge impact on ticket sales. So while, firing the coaching staff may cost money in one sense, bringing in a better GM/president that will win more games will sell more tickets and thus bring in more money.

TD has done well with ticket sales so far, but that is due to honeymoon/optimism coming into this season. Unless we have a winning record this year, next year is going to be an entirely different story.Realistically, this is all you really could do as the new owner rep. Get rid of TD and let the new GM build his organization, and then offer some "guidance" along the way.

ParanoidAndroid
09-29-2004, 06:10 PM
1) I wouldn't touch a thing at this point in the season. I'd let my coaches go to work and see what needs to be addressed as time goes on.

2) Start working along side TD, sizing up guards and centers around the league to see who's coming up on free agency. Improving the offensive line would be my first priority during the offseason. Let TD know if he doesn't improve the o-line at all through free-agency, he's in jeopardy of losing his job.

3) I would want MM to try to get the most out of Travis Henry he can, but not neglect that we need a good look at McGahee.

4) Begin secretly shopping the team around to prospective buyers that would keep the team in Buffalo.

5) Begin a project that would see the end of Ralph Wilson stadium and the building of a new one near downtown Buffalo.

Michael82
09-29-2004, 06:35 PM
5) Begin a project that would see the end of Ralph Wilson stadium and the building of a new one near downtown Buffalo.

Why? The Bills have one of the nicest stadiums out there and also because of where it is, tailgating is easy and fun to do. If you put it in the city, or by the waterfront...you lose the parking that the Ralph gives you. :mad:

The_Philster
09-29-2004, 07:14 PM
Why? The Bills have one of the nicest stadiums out there and also because of where it is, tailgating is easy and fun to do. If you put it in the city, or by the waterfront...you lose the parking that the Ralph gives you. :mad:
:bf1: Putting a stadium downtown would be stupid...would all but eliminate tailgating

ParanoidAndroid
09-29-2004, 08:22 PM
:bf1: Putting a stadium downtown would be stupid...would all but eliminate tailgating

Tailgating would be scaled down, definately. However, as much as I enjoy drinking beers, eating steaks, and playing touch football in the parking lot, there has to be something that brings some semblance of life to downtown, and I would sacrifice a few tailgating parties a year to see Buffalo grow. Otherwise, the city continues its rapid decline and will eventually not be able to support a pro team. By placing a stadium downtown, it could, due to increased tax revenues in the long run, allow the city to offer more provocative incentives for large scale commercial investment from outside. Imagine what an NFL stadium would mean for businesses in downtown. Also, it used to be one of the best stadiums around but it is quickly losing that distinction as more modern stadiums are being built elsewhere. The new box seats are nice but the overall facility as far as everyday fans are concerned is a bit lacking IMO. And absolutely NO DOME!!! Weather is part of the game!
Two of the worst decisions that were ever made regarding the city were putting the stadium in Orchard Park and building the UB campus in Amherst.

Voltron
09-29-2004, 08:45 PM
Tailgating would be scaled down, definately. However, as much as I enjoy drinking beers, eating steaks, and playing touch football in the parking lot, there has to be something that brings some semblance of life to downtown, and I would sacrifice a few tailgating parties a year to see Buffalo grow. Otherwise, the city continues its rapid decline and will eventually not be able to support a pro team. By placing a stadium downtown, it could, due to increased tax revenues in the long run, allow the city to offer more provocative incentives for large scale commercial investment from outside. Imagine what an NFL stadium would mean for businesses in downtown. Also, it used to be one of the best stadiums around but it is quickly losing that distinction as more modern stadiums are being built elsewhere. The new box seats are nice but the overall facility as far as everyday fans are concerned is a bit lacking IMO. And absolutely NO DOME!!! Weather is part of the game!
Two of the worst decisions that were ever made regarding the city were putting the stadium in Orchard Park and building the UB campus in Amherst.
I like the stadium where it is but I will play devils advocate since I have season tickets and drive for 5 hours combined on gameday.

Not all Bills fans are from Buffalo. If they were to move it anywhere I would rather it be moved east more. Like in between Buffalo and Rochester. This is a regional franchise. I bet they would sell a heck of a lot more seasons if it were closer to Rochester and Syracuse, yet not too far from the outskirts of Buffalo.

Michael82
09-29-2004, 09:13 PM
I like the stadium where it is but I will play devils advocate since I have season tickets and drive for 5 hours combined on gameday.

Not all Bills fans are from Buffalo. If they were to move it anywhere I would rather it be moved east more. Like in between Buffalo and Rochester. This is a regional franchise. I bet they would sell a heck of a lot more seasons if it were closer to Rochester and Syracuse, yet not too far from the outskirts of Buffalo.
Batavia? :idunno:

Typ0
09-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Free beer after half time.

Forward_Lateral
09-30-2004, 06:49 AM
No offence to people that live in Buffalo, but to those who don't, have you ever driven through "downtown" Buffalo? If you have, you understand why they will NEVER move the stadium there. I drove through on my way back from Cooperstown about 5 years ago, needless to say, I drove straight ahead and didn't look at anything but the traffic lights.

HenryRules
09-30-2004, 07:18 AM
You only get 8 home games a year in the regular season, plus maybe one or two playoff games every few years. I don't think that's enough events to have an impact on the downtown area. Plus, with the increased costs associated with being a downtown venue vs. being away from the town, I think moving the stadium downtown would make it less financially viable.

Hemlepp53
09-30-2004, 12:58 PM
I would put Drew Bledsoe in for kick returns and punt returns for the rest of the season as punishment for sucking so bad.

Damn... LoL.. Brutal.. But Funny... :clap:

The_Philster
09-30-2004, 06:36 PM
You only get 8 home games a year in the regular season, plus maybe one or two playoff games every few years. I don't think that's enough events to have an impact on the downtown area. Plus, with the increased costs associated with being a downtown venue vs. being away from the town, I think moving the stadium downtown would make it less financially viable.
:faint: I agree with you...that makes good sense...all the costs that would go into having the team in the city wouldn't really be compensated enough by increased revenue.