PDA

View Full Version : Rumors are starting up again

Turf
01-04-2005, 07:32 PM
A lot of rumors are surfacing that the players are giving in to a new deal where they are willing to give up quite a bit but under the term revenue sharing and not salary cap.
Whether this is true or not, expect some bargaining news in the next few days.

Ebenezer
01-04-2005, 08:45 PM
A lot of rumors are surfacing that the players are giving in to a new deal where they are willing to give up quite a bit but under the term revenue sharing and not salary cap.
Whether this is true or not, expect some bargaining news in the next few days.

what don't the players understand about no salary cap no hockey??

Turf
01-04-2005, 09:06 PM
I think it's all about saving face at this point.

clumping platelets
01-05-2005, 02:11 AM
The previous offer by the players and the subsequent "line-by-line" review with the miedia was a PR stunt. In no way did it result in swaying the public opinion that is clearly in the owners favor. Fans are heavily on the side of the owners (3 or 4 to 1)......me included

Myers57
01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
Yea they better hurry because this seasons time is running out here in a hurry...

SkateZilla
01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
they have 1 week to finalize a deal... 1 week training camp.. and 40 game season....

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2005, 10:18 AM
There was an article in the paper here where Gretzky says if nothing gets settled soon, he wouldn't be surprised if they were out 2 years. If they cancel this season, players don't get paid again until next September, so there is no pressure on the owners to settle until then.

I can't believe CP is anti-union. :eek:

clumping platelets
01-05-2005, 10:30 AM
There was an article in the paper here where Gretzky says if nothing gets settled soon, he wouldn't be surprised if they were out 2 years. If they cancel this season, players don't get paid again until next September, so there is no pressure on the owners to settle until then.

I can't believe CP is anti-union. :eek:

Unions are good to a point. However, when they become too powerful, like municipal unions, it's counterproductive.

TheGhostofJimKelly
01-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Hey clump,
I don't think 3-4 to 1 is even close. I don't know anyone that is in favor of the players. I will say it is closer to 100 to 1.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2005, 10:49 AM
To me, it's just business. It makes no sense to me to have the same cap for Calgary as New York, unless you are going to share revenue. If they are not going to share revenues, I think the luxury tax works. Let the Rangers and Red Wings spend as much as they want, and pay the tax which shares their revenue with the "have nots". Why penalize the teams that know how to make money?

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:12 AM
To me, it's just business. It makes no sense to me to have the same cap for Calgary as New York, unless you are going to share revenue. If they are not going to share revenues, I think the luxury tax works. Let the Rangers and Red Wings spend as much as they want, and pay the tax which shares their revenue with the "have nots". Why penalize the teams that know how to make money?

how does having a team in a city with a few million people to sell jerseys to and big corporations to blow big money on ads knowing how to make money??

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
how does having a team in a city with a few million people to sell jerseys to and big corporations to blow big money on ads knowing how to make money??
How many jerseys are they going to sell if their team blows?

How are you going to generate TV ratings when Tampa plays Calgary for the cup?

Believe it or not, it's in the game's best interest for the big city teams to be good.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:30 AM

Believe it or not, it's in the game's best interest for the big city teams to be good.
I've been to NY...the Rangers blow and they sell lots of jerseys

I've been to Chicago...the Black Hawks blow and they sell lots of jerseys

TV ratings for hockey will always suck in the US - people just don't care.

The only way big city teams winning being in the games best interest would be for TV ratings which brings us back to the point above about nobody outside of fans in cities with teams caring.

Contract the league of teams south of the mason dixon and get teams that are loaded with talent and you will see better hockey which might lead to better ratings...regardless the big city teams being good.

SkateZilla
01-05-2005, 11:54 AM

lmao.. Who was the Guy that Said... " Gimmie New York's Salary and I'll Garauntee the Cup" and after what.. 5 years of trying he has yet to make the playoffs!

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 11:59 AM
lmao.. Who was the Guy that Said... " Gimmie New York's Salary and I'll Garauntee the Cup" and after what.. 5 years of trying he has yet to make the playoffs!
that would have been Glenn Sather...who with Gretzky and Messier and a boat load of underpaid talent in a small market won 4 cups.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2005, 01:28 PM
The Rangers haven't figured out that free agency doesn't work because players can't become free agents until they are past their prime.

But that's ok. If you want a level playing field, the key is equalization of talent. If a small market team drafts well, they hold the player's rights for what, 7 years? The NHL does a good job already in that area (except for arbitration, but that's another topic). A stronger, lower rookie salary cap would help the smaller market teams, but the existing system is a good starting point already.

As far as a cap goes, Carolina, Florida, Nashville, and even Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver make relatively the same amount of money win or lose. The range is not that extreme. Are you going to force a cap where every, single team makes money? Then the cap will be $35 million or so. Then Bill Wirtz and whomever else can laugh all the way to the bank.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 01:34 PM
The Rangers haven't figured out that free agency doesn't work because players can't become free agents until they are past their prime.

But that's ok. If you want a level playing field, the key is equalization of talent. If a small market team drafts well, they hold the player's rights for what, 7 years? The NHL does a good job already in that area (except for arbitration, but that's another topic). A stronger, lower rookie salary cap would help the smaller market teams, but the existing system is a good starting point already.

As far as a cap goes, Carolina, Florida, Nashville, and even Calgary, Edmonton, and Vancouver make relatively the same amount of money win or lose. The range is not that extreme. Are you going to force a cap where every, single team makes money? Then the cap will be $35 million or so. Then Bill Wirtz and whomever else can laugh all the way to the bank.
actually, if FA starts at 29 they have their rights for 11 years...

the problem is that by year ?? teams can't afford to keep all those players...

I personally don't care how much money Wirtz or any of the owners put in their pockets...I care about a sport where teams have a chance...look at baseball...there are only 7 teams in each league not eliminated for 2005 already...hockey is not much better.

Earthquake Enyart
01-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Teams have a chance now. The freaking Lightning won the cup.

A cap does nothing but fill the owner's pockets with money.

Ebenezer
01-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Teams have a chance now. The freaking Lightning won the cup.

A cap does nothing but fill the owner's pockets with money.
teams don't have a chance to be competitive for many years in the row...Since Hasek left the Sabres haven't been, wouldn't be this year or for a few to come...then they would have popped up for a year or two and then back down...Tampa was at it's peak and soon to burst...again, I don't care how much the owners make...

G. Host
01-05-2005, 07:56 PM

Dallass Cowpoke was still hottest selling jersey by team even when their team sucked. PT Barnum said their is a fool born every minute but he did not adjust for population increase.

Myers57
01-05-2005, 08:04 PM
The lightning received record attendance and apparell sales on their quest for the cup, a salray cap brings a more competitive league in which cities like Buffalo will have a good team and start making money once again.

I dont care if Golisano makes a lot of money out of the cap, that guy saved this team and I am getting prime competition and finally hopefully hockey will become a more popular sport...

realmendontwearteal
01-05-2005, 08:43 PM
i hope this is true but i highly dought it

SkateZilla
01-06-2005, 12:31 AM
that of the NHL can get off their Ass and Stike a Huge... i mean Collosal TV contract so owners can make the big money..

I dont see excitement in Football.. lmao..... well some games are nice .. but others are downright boring..

Baseball... ehhhh.... only exciting part is the cops taking the field to prevent a riot...

basket ball.. honestly... if any of them played real defense... non of the teams would be getting no 80+ points... team A goes down court.. scores... team b goes down court... scores.. and occasionally a shot misses or if blocked..

1. Stream Line Goalie Equipment
2. Instate the New AHL Rules (Thicker Lines, Goalie Puck Playing Restrictions (Trapaziod)
3. Crackdown on SHAFTING (well. obstruction... using the shaft of your stick to hold a player back .. basically hooking but not using the blade of the stick)
4. Crackdown on diving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i seen it alot in WJC.. Ovechkin took a shot to the face.. i mean it wasnt that hard... he grabbed his face... fell to the ice.. stubbed on his knees.. and when he realized he wasnt getting a penalty he got back up.. picked up the puck and nearly scored a goal... ... hmmmm..... players falling to the ice when they feel someone behind them or a stick touches them from the waste down...
5. Crack down on the ****ing REFs... I mean.. hockey is a Game of Hitting.. if your Gonna Call a Penalty on a Legal Hit.. Just Because it make a lot of noise and the other player was shaken up.... then thats just dumb...
6. Instate AHL OT Policy... 5 Minute 4 on 4... then Shootout... screw this.. oh.. lets end it with a boring as hell 5 minute display of neutral zone trap..
7. Tell the NHLPA to get their **** together..... quit babying all the players!!!.. they dont need ****ing $500 Fruit baskets in their room every hotel they goto... they prolly never touch them....
8. Tell Players To Take Some Initiative... ****ing Buy your Own Damn Sticks.... Tape your Own Sticks.. Dont have your Trainer Do It then ***** At him when he does it wrong.. its your equipment..... take care of it yourself like every other hardworking $75,000-200,000/yr American..

Did I Forget Anything?

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2005, 06:35 AM
teams don't have a chance to be competitive for many years in the row...Since Hasek left the Sabres haven't been, wouldn't be this year or for a few to come...then they would have popped up for a year or two and then back down...Tampa was at it's peak and soon to burst...again, I don't care how much the owners make...
If teams aren't competitive, it's more because they aren't drafting well. Buffalo is a prime example. If the Sabres had an extra $15 mil and signed Bobby Holik, would they be a whole hell of a lot better? No.

don137
01-06-2005, 07:17 AM
I think drafting is a big part of it. Buffalo has not drafted an all-star caliber player in years. However, you need balance between drafting good players as well as having a few all-stars on your roster whether it be by trade or through the draft. To trade for the all-stars you do need to draft well so you have some players that are marketable. You also need money which usually puts small market teams out of the running and leaves the same teams in the running for trading for the big name players.
The problem is the small market teams can't afford to keep their all-stars. Many times small market teams trade away their big stud(s) because they can't afford them anymore and get two or three players in return. Pittsburgh is a prime example.

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2005, 08:10 AM
I think drafting is a big part of it. Buffalo has not drafted an all-star caliber player in years. However, you need balance between drafting good players as well as having a few all-stars on your roster whether it be by trade or through the draft. To trade for the all-stars you do need to draft well so you have some players that are marketable. You also need money which usually puts small market teams out of the running and leaves the same teams in the running for trading for the big name players.
The problem is the small market teams can't afford to keep their all-stars. Many times small market teams trade away their big stud(s) because they can't afford them anymore and get two or three players in return. Pittsburgh is a prime example.
So how does a salary cap solve this?

Less teams have money to bid, and if you manage your cap right, you can resign? Or is there a "Larry Bird" exemption like basketball where you can pay your own FA's more than the rest of the teams can?

But, in basketball, a bad FA signing or two can ruin you for 5 years, with guaranteed contracts. It is much harder to get out of cap hell in the NBA system than the NFL.

Ebenezer
01-06-2005, 08:23 AM
If teams aren't competitive, it's more because they aren't drafting well. Buffalo is a prime example. If the Sabres had an extra $15 mil and signed Bobby Holik, would they be a whole hell of a lot better? No.
I think my point is that teams need to be competitive for more than 1 year at a time...any team can catch lightning in a bottle (no pun intended at Tampa)...If you draft well (not even considering Buffalo) and get a core of young guys and start winning a small market team can't get good for more than a couple of years because the players want more money than the team afford. Do you think that a small market team can put together a bunch of 24-26 year olds start winning and keep them together for 5-7 years?? No way. Look how long the Red Wings have had their core players. They don't have to worry about losing them. That is why the system is screwed. The players tell them to set a budget and stick to it...as soon as teams do that and FA ends the players will sue for collusion...can't have it both ways.

Do you think they should get rid of the salcap in the NFL?

Ebenezer
01-06-2005, 08:24 AM

Less opportunity for the NYR, Detroit Red Wings, Colorado Avalance and Dallas Stars to come in and cherry pick the rosters because they have unlimited resources...

Earthquake Enyart
01-06-2005, 08:33 AM
The NFL is completely different because revenue is shared. The revenue to Buffalo isn't all that different from the revenue in New York because of the giant TV contract.

Hockey and baseball do not share revenue. That's the rub.

In both you have 8 or so teams that can pretty much do whatever they want because they have bigget local TV contracts than the others. So, if the Rangers get $70 mil for their TV rights (I have no idea what the real numbers are) and Nashville gets $1 mil for theirs, how do you make a cap work? Pool this TV revenue and share it evenly? Is it worth penalizing the owners in New York to subsidize Nashville?

If revenue is not shared, how do you set this cap? At the level where the smallest market team breaks even?

clumping platelets
01-06-2005, 08:43 AM
http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Check out this blurb :eek:

Hockey by the 24th :pray:

Myers57
01-06-2005, 11:58 AM
http://hockeyrumors.blogspot.com/

Check out this blurb :eek:

Hockey by the 24th :pray:
Wow that would be the coolest thing ever!

If they do resume play, why won't they stick with their preselected schedules?

Typ0
01-06-2005, 03:10 PM

Less teams have money to bid, and if you manage your cap right, you can resign? Or is there a "Larry Bird" exemption like basketball where you can pay your own FA's more than the rest of the teams can?

But, in basketball, a bad FA signing or two can ruin you for 5 years, with guaranteed contracts. It is much harder to get out of cap hell in the NBA system than the NFL.

It solves it because it ultimately sets a value on what salary a player can draw. Right now there is no such cap...and to make things worse arbitration always ends up siding with the player. So players can demand whatever they want and it always looks realistic to them because they don't think the team is bound in what they can spend. The bottom line is there needs to be some salary control just so these greedy *******$ can't just drop a team that has invested in their career (especially through the draft) just to go to another team that will pay any amount to have them.

SkateZilla
01-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Wow that would be the coolest thing ever!

If they do resume play, why won't they stick with their preselected schedules?

i think they willl since all the team sites still have dates for games lsited as on sale... every time the propasals are turned down they dock another week or two worth of games off the schedule...

in which case.. its good for buffalo.. because the last 3 years....

Sept - January = .340 Hockey

February - April = . 887 Hockey...

So Basically Our ****ty part of the Season has been cancelled ... lmao

Myers57
01-06-2005, 08:33 PM
i think they willl since all the team sites still have dates for games lsited as on sale... every time the propasals are turned down they dock another week or two worth of games off the schedule...

in which case.. its good for buffalo.. because the last 3 years....

Sept - January = .340 Hockey

February - April = . 887 Hockey...

So Basically Our ****ty part of the Season has been cancelled ... lmao
mwahaha good point!

Turf
01-06-2005, 09:17 PM
A cap without any form of revenue sharing is stupid. So therefore, that's probably what they will go with.