PDA

View Full Version : Shelton-Henry trade not done yet, but still could be...

Ickybaluky
02-24-2005, 09:51 AM
From the East Valley Tribune in Arizona:

First article (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=36929):

Teams also can begin making trades March 2, and the Cardinals are expected to deal tackle L.J. Shelton at some point.

One possibility is to Buffalo for disgruntled running back Travis Henry, a deal that would likely have to include a contract extension for Henry to get completed. The Cardinals are playing coy on any of the Shelton talks, although they are known to be in discussions about dealing Shelton for Henry.

Trade talks are expected to intensify in Indianapolis, because every team has front-office types in town and player agents also hold one of their meetings there.

Then (http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=36892):

REGARDING HENRY

A source familiar with the situation said Tuesday the Cardinals remain a serious player in a possible trade for Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry.

A deal is not done, however, and multiple teams are interested in both Henry and Cardinals tackle L.J. Shelton, who would ostensibly be dealt for Henry. With Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James getting the franchise tag Tuesday, Henry’s marketability is expected to go up.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Come on TD....get the deal done buddy!!!

Mr. Miyagi
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
With Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James getting the franchise tag Tuesday, Henry’s marketability is expected to go up.
If that's the case I don't want the deal done yet. I want to get the most we can for Henry. Shop him around.

The Natrix
02-24-2005, 10:14 AM
If that's the case I don't want the deal done yet. I want to get the most we can for Henry. Shop him around.

Couldn't agree more. It's not like Shelton is the greatest deal in the world. Having an extra 2nd rounder would be nice. Henry can be someone's franchise back. He's more valuable than people think.

THATHURMANATOR
02-24-2005, 10:16 AM
I would rather have Shelton than a 2nd. He is ready to play right away and since we are going to lose Jennings we need that.

Earthquake Enyart
02-24-2005, 10:18 AM
I would rather have Shelton than a 2nd. He is ready to play right away and since we are going to lose Jennings we need that.
I agree with Corey from B-lo.

THATHURMANATOR
02-24-2005, 10:20 AM
I agree with Corey from B-lo.
:posrep:

OpIv37
02-24-2005, 10:20 AM

I also agree- the draft is a gamble. Shelton's a proven player at a position we need to fill.

Mr. Miyagi
02-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Actually my point is to shop Henry around to jack up the price on the Cards, and make them send Shelton AND a 3rd rounder or something. :naughty:

The Natrix
02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Actually my point is to shop Henry around to jack up the price on the Cards, and make them send Shelton AND a 3rd rounder or something. :naughty:

Yeah, that would be nice. Maybe get a WR in the 3rd to throw in the mix. Arizona really needs Henry and Shelton seems like their Randy Moss. They just want to get rid off him. Bills shouldn't rush into this deal.

mysticsoto
02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Exactly. Another alternative, however, could be to go to the Raiders and shop Henry there. They have plenty of backup lineman that could start for us - the guy Robert Gallery replaced was very good. We could do a trade for him and a 3rd/4th rounder. The Raiders might be keen on this now that they've got Moss and their WRs set. With Henry as their main RB, and the excellent O-line that they have, they could concentrate on defense for the rest of the draft. It might be appealing to them!!!

Earthquake Enyart
02-24-2005, 10:31 AM
You guys are high. If we don't get Shelton, we're screwed at LT.

THATHURMANATOR
02-24-2005, 10:37 AM
definitly. We aren't going to get Shelton and a 3rd.

Michael82
02-24-2005, 12:01 PM
Maybe TD is trying to get a conditional draft pick for 2006 out of the Cardinals, along with Shelton. I hope he does. :pray:

don137
02-24-2005, 12:19 PM
If Arizona traded there #1 for Brees and picked up Henry they could have a very good offense (assuming Brees is not a one year wonder).

Tatonka
02-24-2005, 12:36 PM
that is a big assumption, don.

Mr. Cynical
02-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Agreed.

THATHURMANATOR
02-24-2005, 05:35 PM
What the hell are we going to sit around and wait for?

Crisis
02-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Henry's gonna disappoint his first year if he gets traded in Arizona. They have no OL as it is, losing Shelton will make it worse.

Jttsaz
02-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Rumor in Tampa said the Bucs are high on Shelton and are offering their 2nd round pick and a player...I still want Henry but this looks to far from a done deal..

ShadowHawk7
02-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Do u have a link to that?

TigerJ
02-24-2005, 09:51 PM

Right on. Ity takes two to tango though. TD can't make the Cards agree to a deal.

Kerr
02-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Considering TH's value has gone up as the best back available, TD needs to play hardball with every team interested and just say, "Show me what you've got"?

MadCardDisease
02-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Here is the article from the Bucs site:

http://bucs.tbo.com/bucs/MGBMLGM2J5E.html

"In other Bucs news:
* Tampa Bay appears to be among the finalists in the bidding for Arizona left tackle L.J. Shelton. Shelton is seeking a trade, and his agent said Tuesday that Buffalo, Chicago and the Bucs are the front-runners for his client's services. "<!-- / message -->

MadCardDisease
02-25-2005, 12:20 PM
This was in the Az paper today:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0225combinenotes0225.html

"INDIANAPOLIS - The Cardinals remain interested in trading for Buffalo running back Travis Henry, and the Bills have given permission for the Cardinals to arrange a visit for Henry.

That, however, hasn't happened, and a deal doesn't appear imminent.

"We haven't had any talks beyond that," Buffalo President and General Manager Tom Donahoe said Thursday at the NFL combine.

The Bills have expressed interest in Cardinals offensive tackle L.J. Shelton, who visited Buffalo last week and took a physical.

The proposed trade is more complicated than just swapping Shelton for Henry, because Henry has just one year left on his contract. Before agreeing to the deal, the Cardinals probably would like to reach agreement on a long-term deal with Henry.

Henry lost his starting job to Willis McGahee last year and has asked Buffalo to trade him.

Donahoe is biased, but he thinks trading for an established back such as Henry is safer than drafting a running back.

"The one thing that Travis Henry gives you is that you know what he can do," he said. "We can talk about the guys at this combine forever but they are all unknown commodities. What Travis has proven is that he can rush for 1,400, 1,500 yards, and he'll play hurt."

Henry rushed for 1,438 yards in 2002 and 1,356 in 2003. "

Rumor has it that the Cardinals are dragging their feet and are still looking for better offers.

jamze132
02-25-2005, 02:25 PM
The trade isn't done yet because they can't make a deal until next week.