PDA

View Full Version : Tip Sheet: Wahle better than Jennings at LT

Romes
02-27-2005, 04:05 PM
The top left offensive tackle in unrestricted free agency, some teams feel, might not even be a tackle. There are several teams suggesting Green Bay left guard Mike Wahle, who will be released by the Packers in the next few days for salary cap reasons, actually might project better to the more significant left tackle spot. That's certainly good news for Wahle and agent Neil Cornrich since, as has been pointed out here many times, tackles get bigger contracts than guards. Wahle, 27, actually looks more like a tackle, a long and rangy lineman (6 foot 6, 307 pounds) who moves well and always has been a strong technician in pass protection. The seven-year veteran was forced to play left tackle in the Packers' playoff game this year because of injuries, and he performed well. The teams to whom we spoke Friday feel Wahle, down the road, is probably a better tackle prospect than Jonas Jennings of the Buffalo Bills, probably the most high-profile tackle in the free-agent pool. Wahle is due a $6 million roster bonus next week, which is why the cap-strapped Packers will have to release him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1999547&num=4

This is good news on two fronts: 1) there is another good FA option at LT if we don't get Jennings back and the Shelton deal falls through. 2) The fact there is another quality LT prospect available in FA creates a higher supply of LT thus (hopefully) bringing down the price of Jennings and other o-linemen

Wheresthekgun
02-27-2005, 04:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1999547&num=4

This is good news on two fronts: 1) there is another good FA option at LT if we don't get Jennings back and the Shelton deal falls through. 2) The fact there is another quality LT prospect available in FA creates a higher supply of LT thus (hopefully) bringing down the price of Jennings and other o-linemen
Maybe this is why TD has been dragging his feet on the Shelton deal.....
Wahle instead of shelton sounds good to me.....

ddaryl
02-27-2005, 04:11 PM
I'd rather have Wahle personally, I have a feeling Wahle will get more attention in FA then JJ. Probably doesn't mean JJ's price will come down too much.

SoCalBillsFan
02-27-2005, 05:36 PM
I'd love to get wahle regardless of what happens to Jennings and/or shelton. We could always keep him at guard. I still think we need to get more than just a replacement for jennings to upgrade the line.

ShadowHawk7
02-27-2005, 06:21 PM
Shelton(JJ)\Wahle\Teague\Villarial\Williams
Backups:Price, McFarland, Tucker
:drool: :pray:

Jan Reimers
02-28-2005, 06:34 AM
TD has indicated more than once that we probably won't be able to re-sign JJ, because he will be too expensive. It appears that we might be in the same position with Wahle. Good LTs demand big bucks, which we are either unable or unwilling to pay.

Shelton, because he has a reasonable existing contract, looks like our best option.