PDA

View Full Version : Not feeling too good here

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2005, 08:23 AM
We are going to lose Pat and Jonas(both possibly to the Jets). We are going to have a rookie QB next year and it doesn't look like we are bringing in any a experienced backup. The Henry for Shelton deal appears to have fallen through. COME ON TD MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN!!!

Novacane
03-02-2005, 08:32 AM
Why does it look like we are not going to bring in an experienced backup? Because ESPN has not said so?

Dozerdog
03-02-2005, 08:35 AM
You guys lean way to heavy on ESPN info.

We are not looking for big name experienced starters like the past few seasons. Most of our needs are backups- except for OT and DT- and if we had starter /impact player FA money lying around- we would have resigned them instead of get someone else.

My bet is that TD will let the initial signing craze die down (when prices are high) and scoop up some very good bargains.

Except for Roosevelt Colvin, the Pats usuallt don't jump right into FAcy. They are patient.

OpIv37
03-02-2005, 08:36 AM
it seems to me like we're screwed. If we lose Jennings and Williams, plus have a rookie QB, this year's a waste. By next year, the D will be getting older, players will be leaving, etc and we're right back to the dreaded rebuilding.

Ever since Bledsoe got cut, I've had a horrible feeling about this year, and it's not getting any better. Something had to be done about Bledsoe cuz he wasn't playing well- I just wish JP had more experience. Now it looks like we're going to lose Williams and Jennings- we're getting worse and the Jets are getting better.

I hate the off-season, but I've never been less anxious for the start of football season than I am right now.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2005, 08:36 AM
True I am not saying we won't sign anyone but the market is weak. It seems like we will be taking steps back not forward.

Jan Reimers
03-02-2005, 08:39 AM
We're all of 9 hours and 40 minutes into free agency. Let's not give up hope quite yet.

Dozerdog
03-02-2005, 08:42 AM
it seems to me like we're screwed. If we lose Jennings and Williams, plus have a rookie QB, this year's a waste. By next year, the D will be getting older, players will be leaving, etc and we're right back to the dreaded rebuilding.

Ever since Bledsoe got cut, I've had a horrible feeling about this year, and it's not getting any better. Something had to be done about Bledsoe cuz he wasn't playing well- I just wish JP had more experience. Now it looks like we're going to lose Williams and Jennings- we're getting worse and the Jets are getting better.

I hate the off-season, but I've never been less anxious for the start of football season than I am right now.
http://images.iwoot.com/large/PANBUT_lg.jpg

OpIv37
03-02-2005, 08:44 AM
what part of having a rookie QB behind a weakenend offensive line gives you confidence?

Dozerdog
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
4 more months before this team is fully assembled.

If the rookie QB bothers you- take it up with the :mex:

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2005, 08:45 AM
In all honesty I haven't even looked at ESPN.com today. I just know that the free agent class is weak and we won't be able to replace the 2 players we are losing. That to me is guaranteeing a step back on both sides of the ball. Do you get the feeling that we will sign a veteran backup at QB that has the skills to come in to start if JP gets hurt or struggles?

Novacane
03-02-2005, 08:47 AM
what part of having a rookie QB behind a weakenend offensive line gives you confidence?

He's not a rookie and you don't know the o-line will be weakend when all is said and done. Give TD a little time

generalmills
03-02-2005, 08:48 AM
I am not so worried about this... teams have to part way with big players every year. To me Jennings is going to be far over paid wherever he goes if he gets the 5 mill. a year deal that it appears he is looking for. He is always injured in some way and was a good lineman who stood out due to the crap that lined up beside him...He was the best of a horrible crop. If we lose him and it enables us to get two decent big men on the line I feel it will be an improvement.

Pat is another can of worms. The guy can flat out play but we cant break the bank on him when we have Anderson and Edwards waiting for their chance. Even if they play "average" they still have Adams beside them to plug up th other side of the line. These guys have to be given a shot, otherwise we will never know what they can do. In the age of free agency and salary cap teams have to be willing to give the young guys a shot to step up. We are not the Washington Redskins, we can play with guys who are not the "hot name/item"...

Give it some time...we will sign a free agent that will get everyone excited...there is no reason to break the bank on the first couple of hours.

Novacane
03-02-2005, 08:48 AM

Take it up with TD. We're not the ones that cut Drew.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2005, 08:49 AM
He's not a rookie and you don't know the o-line will be weakend when all is said and done. Give TD a little time
He is not a rookie in terms of study time but in terms of playing time he is. That is a little better but not much.

OpIv37
03-02-2005, 08:50 AM

Nah- I'm a JPD Deputy so I'm cool with the amigos. I am excited to see what JP can do, at the same time I know he's inexperienced and there will be a learning curve, so I expect the team to struggle. He's going to need some help, and having no LG and a weakened D line doesn't help.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2005, 08:51 AM
I am not so worried about this... teams have to part way with big players every year. To me Jennings is going to be far over paid wherever he goes if he gets the 5 mill. a year deal that it appears he is looking for. He is always injured in some way and was a good lineman who stood out due to the crap that lined up beside him...He was the best of a horrible crop. If we lose him and it enables us to get two decent big men on the line I feel it will be an improvement.

Pat is another can of worms. The guy can flat out play but we cant break the bank on him when we have Anderson and Edwards waiting for their chance. Even if they play "average" they still have Adams beside them to plug up th other side of the line. These guys have to be given a shot, otherwise we will never know what they can do. In the age of free agency and salary cap teams have to be willing to give the young guys a shot to step up. We are not the Washington Redskins, we can play with guys who are not the "hot name/item"...

Give it some time...we will sign a free agent that will get everyone excited...there is no reason to break the bank on the first couple of hours.
I realize that Jennings isn't worth the money. Hopefully we get shelton and I will be happy there. Edwards and Anderson would be a huge dropoff if you ask me. I don't care if we lose Williams and Jennings as long as they are replaced. I am probably just overreacting here.

mysticsoto
03-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Man, I think alot of people are overreacting. First, let's not sell Ron Edwards or Tim Anderson short. They may be phenomenal if we just give them a chance.

Second of all, I have to believe that TD and McNally have a plan for the line. TD would not be this quiet if he didn't and would have tried harder for Shelton. Quite frankly, my only disappointment is not having signed Marcus Price as a solid backup yet. But in either case, as I mentioned in another post, if TD is planning to draft a top Center this year, then the plan might be to move Teague to LT. And Teague is more than capable of taking that position.

If this happens, then we have no holes in either of our lines. And TD will be considered a Master for not having broken the bank and yet still provided solid lines in both the defense and offense.

Let's not get antsy and see what happens. The people who run and react now, quickly, are generally the ones that pay the most.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Good points I will calm down now!

BuffaloRanger
03-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Man, I think alot of people are overreacting. First, let's not sell Ron Edwards or Tim Anderson short. They may be phenomenal if we just give them a chance.

Second of all, I have to believe that TD and McNally have a plan for the line. TD would not be this quiet if he didn't and would have tried harder for Shelton. Quite frankly, my only disappointment is not having signed Marcus Price as a solid backup yet. But in either case, as I mentioned in another post, if TD is planning to draft a top Center this year, then the plan might be to move Teague to LT. And Teague is more than capable of taking that position.

If this happens, then we have no holes in either of our lines. And TD will be considered a Master for not having broken the bank and yet still provided solid lines in both the defense and offense.

Let's not get antsy and see what happens. The people who run and react now, quickly, are generally the ones that pay the most.

What in the wide wide world of sports makes you think Teague is "more than capable" of covering our QBs blind side? He's under 300lbs. He sucks against bull rushes. Hasn't played LT since he was in Denver (they let him walk). If you can't hack it at LT you become a guard or Center - not the other way around! But it's OK. In your eyes we'll have a rookie Center handing off to JP. No worries.

Edwards did well in spot duty - but can he do that all game? Anderson is nothing right now. Nothing but unproven. Expecting him to come in and have an impact is foolhardy.

I knew Jennings would probably be gone. I was hoping to see Big Pat back. But TD showed his typical classless self by not even talking to Jennings or Big Pat. Not even seeing what they wanted. Is that a good GM? What do team leaders like TKO and Adams think of our GM now. How about potential FAs.

Do not use the Patriots as a model of "how to build a champion." They have better coaching, get all the calls, and players stay with them for under market price for the high probability of winning a ring.

Buffalo doesn't have those luxuries.

ryjam282
03-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I think we should give it a little time. If we don't at least hear a few rumors or something by Friday, then I would start worrying.

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
My bet is that TD will let the initial signing craze die down (when prices are high) and scoop up some very good bargains.

I don't know about that. The last two years he has scooped up some moderately priced guys pretty quickly. (Posey and Villarrial).

helmetguy
03-02-2005, 11:36 AM
What in the wide wide world of sports makes you think Teague is "more than capable" of covering our QBs blind side? He's under 300lbs. He sucks against bull rushes. Hasn't played LT since he was in Denver (they let him walk). If you can't hack it at LT you become a guard or Center - not the other way around! But it's OK. In your eyes we'll have a rookie Center handing off to JP. No worries.

Edwards did well in spot duty - but can he do that all game? Anderson is nothing right now. Nothing but unproven. Expecting him to come in and have an impact is foolhardy.

I knew Jennings would probably be gone. I was hoping to see Big Pat back. But TD showed his typical classless self by not even talking to Jennings or Big Pat. Not even seeing what they wanted. Is that a good GM? What do team leaders like TKO and Adams think of our GM now. How about potential FAs.

Do not use the Patriots as a model of "how to build a champion." They have better coaching, get all the calls, and players stay with them for under market price for the high probability of winning a ring.

Buffalo doesn't have those luxuries.
After unloading that much crap, your pants must fit great now!

Shasta McNasty
03-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Thurm pull it together man. JJ is going to get overpaid, he is not worth it. We will fix the holes on O-line with others, watch as TD will get 2-3 guys on the O-line for the price of JJ. I am worried about Pat though....we need to keep that D together.

Novacane
03-02-2005, 12:10 PM

Do you actually believe TD never even bothered talking to PW or JJ? Stop believing everything you read on ESPN.com

EDS
03-02-2005, 12:27 PM
History lesson here folks: Both the Pats and Eagles went to the Super Bowl this past year. With me so far? The Eagles did this despite the fact that they had some significant free agent losses (sure they added TO among others), including both starting cornerbacks and their leading rusher. The Pats won again despite the absence of their high cost corners (no Law or Poole for the playoffs). Heck, last year the Panthers made it to the super bowl with the bargain bin free agents signings of Jake Delhomme and Stephen Davis.

Players step up, it is the nature of the game.

THATHURMANATOR
03-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Wait didn't the Eagles pick up TO and sign Javon Kearse???

AndreReed83
03-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Yea, I think we'll get one or two signings and a decent pick in the 2nd round of the draft. But I bet we end up in a lot of sports writers 'Losers' column for the offseason.

Oh well, all I have to say is F you Donahue, way to junk up the P.Williams fiasco. Donahue just acts like he can lowball and get the better of everybody he gets involved with. Swallow you pride jerk. Your ego is hurting the team now.

Btw, if we do happen to have a great offseason, feel free to quote me. I HOPE I get proven wrong.

BuffaloRanger
03-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Oh well, all I have to say is F you Donahue, way to junk up the P.Williams fiasco. Donahue just acts like he can lowball and get the better of everybody he gets involved with. Swallow you pride jerk. Your ego is hurting the team now.

That was very well put. I agree 100% I am waiting to hear him called "the master poker player" and that "he is holding his cards close to his chest."

Bert102176
03-02-2005, 09:22 PM
were deffinitly screwed, thanks alot TD, why not atleast get Williams back

Dr. Lecter
03-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Because he is a 32 year old DT who just signed a 3 year $13 million contract witha $6 million sigin bonus. He probably couts 3-4 million against the cap this year. That is almost 1/2 of the cap space the Bills have.

Pat and Jennings are getting over paid. Let somebody else do it.