PDA

View Full Version : I think I've truly lost all hope for this team...

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Here's the deal:

Going into 2005, we have an inexperienced QB and around $8 million in cap room to sign a backup QB, DT, LG and K, plus it would be nice to get a TE, 3rd WR, and pass-rushing DE. Am I panicked that we haven't made any FA moves yet? No- it's only been 32 hours. But I am I concerned that we have all these holes to fill? HELL YES. Some of these holes can be filled in the draft, but not all of them.

Looking ahead to 2006, when JP will have some experience and we might be able to have some success, we're going to lose Moulds and Clements. Also, when Moulds leaves, I fear Evans may run into a little Peerless Price syndrome.

So, with all these gaping holes to fill and no money to do it, plus the Patriots and quickly improving Jets in our division, what reasons do we have to be confident in this team?

Edit: Evans' contact does not expire after the '05 season, as I originally stated

dannyek71
03-03-2005, 07:13 AM
pretty much how i feel..

Really all we need is a LT and we are set. Pat was getting old anyways and JJ is def not worth the price sf paid. We can use the draft to address some of the needs that you mentioned above.

fushetti
03-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Settle down....

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 07:16 AM
pretty much how i feel..

Really all we need is a LT and we are set. Pat was getting old anyways and JJ is def not worth the price sf paid. We can use the draft to address some of the needs that you mentioned above.

Pat was getting old, but he was key to stopping the run. I hope the coaches either have a lot of confidence in Edwards or have another DT in the works. I'm glad we didn't pay Jennings the money that SF gave him, but I don't think we can find a LG in the draft- expect a lot of line shuffling, which doesn't bode well for Willis or JP. We're gonna get these guys killed.

mybills
03-03-2005, 07:18 AM
Settle down....
:posrep:

jdbillsfan
03-03-2005, 07:20 AM
I think every team has small holes to fill, its just what you make with the players that you have. A backup QB is more of a safety net. We hopefully have capable DT's to fill in for Pat, and if not, through the draft. LG I am sure will be addressed at some point. Kicker I don't see as being a major salary issue no matter what direction they go in that.

The holes that we have, aren't ones that will cause us to miss the playoffs in my opinion, its more of a matter of how the players we have play this year and how well the coaching staff builds on last year.

We will hopefully pick up a player or two in Free Agency, hopefully get something for Henry and then draft to fill some holes.

Its too hard to look at what are we going to do next year, so I wouldn't worry about that. Lee was a rookie last year, so I think he has some years left here.

Jets suck.

Pats are losing some players and coaches.

JP is better than Drew.

Willis is the man.

I haven't lost hope. If we don't sign any Free Agents, I still think we'll have a good and exciting team.

mybills
03-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Pat was getting old, but he was key to stopping the run. I hope the coaches either have a lot of confidence in Edwards or have another DT in the works. I'm glad we didn't pay Jennings the money that SF gave him, but I don't think we can find a LG in the draft- expect a lot of line shuffling, which doesn't bode well for Willis or JP. We're gonna get these guys killed.
I just pos repped you by accident. I don't see them getting killed at all. For starters, JP is mobile. :up:

Novacane
03-03-2005, 07:25 AM
You're over reacting. I think they do have a lot of faith in Edwards. He showed some talent when he got chances.
A backup QB is not going to cost much. You gotta let those guys stay out on the market for a while until they realize they are not going to get what they are used to getting paid

Also, Evans is signed for 4 more years. Why do you say he will be up for re-newal next year?

I don't believe the Bills consider a speed rushing DE a need. Even if they did...........who would they sign. Those don't grow on trees.

The only thing I'm conerned about it the o-line. I hope TD addresses it soon!

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 07:26 AM
I just pos repped you by accident. I don't see them getting killed at all. For starters, JP is mobile. :up:

That will help, but how many times was Drew sacked because he took a five step drop, looked up, and was surrounded by 3 defenders? Granted, our o-line improved greatly in '04 (and Drew being flat-footed didn't help), but no one is mobile enough to escape that kind of pressure. Now throw in whatever benchwarming scrub we have at LG and see what happens.

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 07:27 AM
Also, Evans is signed for 4 more years. Why do you say he will be up for re-newal next year?

my mistake- I must be confusing him with someone else. Either way, we're going to lose Moulds and will either need a #1 WR or a #2 WR depending on how well Evans steps up.

helmetguy
03-03-2005, 07:29 AM
There are a couple of ways you can look at this. One is, we play Madden and shuffle guys-name guys-into the mix and HOPE the come together. Or, we can put a little faith in Mike Mularkey and his staff to bring what we have together and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. That's what good coaches do. That's what BB has been doing up in NE, with pretty decent results, I'd say. Going into camp, this will Mularkey's team, not the remnants he inherited from Gregg Williams. Losman is "his guy," not a reclaimation project that GW left behind. Losing individual players can hurt; particularly if they are "fan-friendly." The replacement may not be quite as good but, if Jerry Gray is, indeed, as good as advertised, he'll make the adjustments necessary to get the other 10 positions to step it up. Again, the whole being greater than the sum of the parts.

More on this later. Gotta go to work.

Jan Reimers
03-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Look around the league at all the teams that are losing key players and have gaping holes to fill. Yes, the Raiders and Vikes seem to be doing great, but many - including New England and the Jets - are losing guys, and losing out on guys, just like us.

The Jets, for instance, have lost Ferguson and Jordan, and missed out on JJ and Big Pat. New England has let several players go, and may lose Bruschi to early retirement. There are also teams with far less cap space than us.

Keep the faith. We'll sign some of the less expensive FAs to fill holes and provide depth, and get some help in the draft as well.

mybills
03-03-2005, 07:31 AM
didn't clumpy say Moulds can restructure again, even though he only did it for 05? :idunno:

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 07:35 AM
didn't clumpy say Moulds can restructure again, even though he only did it for 05? :idunno:

well they can always restructure, but it doesn't make sense that they would restructure this year than restructure again next year. It seems to me that if they wanted to keep him around after '05, they would have restructured differently.

Earthquake Enyart
03-03-2005, 07:36 AM
Clumpy said around $6 mil.

We'll need around $4 for draft picks.

That leaves $2 for a LT and TWO backup QB's. :mad:

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 07:37 AM
Since the Music City Miracle, this is most optomistic I've been with this team.

We have talent, the #2 defense 2 years running (with 1 starter lost), and excellent coaching. If the Bills bring in Jonathan Quinn as the backup, then make some room on the 14th floor window ledge for me.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 07:38 AM

Without a #1 pick, we might need only $2.5-$3 million

We might cut some guys after June 1- Like Priloeau- not sure.

dannyek71
03-03-2005, 07:44 AM
i say sign a qb for about 2 mill (like Holcumb) and then hope that we can get a decent LT for henry

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-03-2005, 07:45 AM
Dude, is it possible for you to go one day without pissing and moaning about the loss of Bledsoe? Keep this up and you will be the Juice of this offseason.....Bledsoe is gone just like Reuben is gone....get over it and let's move on. I think it has been well proven that Free Agency is a huge crap shoot.....I mean we have hit on Milloy, Adams, Fletcher, Villariall and Spikes, but we missed badly on Bledsoe, Lindell, Charlie Rogers, Eddie Robinson, Jason Gildon, Oliver Gibson, et al...
You could make a solid arguement that we missed somewhat on Vincent and Teague....but they are average at least.
I don't think signing a name just to sign someone is the right move. We don't have much $$ to play with. Our biggest need right now is OT. We can fill in spots at DT, but that OT spot is far too critical to let our existing depth fill.
If we come away from the FA period with an OT added, I would be satisfied. The rest can be picked up either in the draft or after the draft
As much as I would love to see it, I can't see us picking up a K, DE, or even a significant 3rd WR. And TE might be a pipe dream too.
Until we are entering training camp with two big holes, I would not get too worried.

footballhottie
03-03-2005, 07:55 AM
I can't billieve Im hearing this!!! you cant lose hope!! thats not what we do!! we stick with our teams though thick and thin!!! if your not going to be a bills fan dont be a football fan at all....i hate it when people change there teams just so they can be with a good team....you know what that makes them....POSERS!

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Dude, is it possible for you to go one day without pissing and moaning about the loss of Bledsoe? Keep this up and you will be the Juice of this offseason.....Bledsoe is gone just like Reuben is gone....get over it and let's move on. I think it has been well proven that Free Agency is a huge crap shoot.....I mean we have hit on Milloy, Adams, Fletcher, Villariall and Spikes, but we missed badly on Bledsoe, Lindell, Charlie Rogers, Eddie Robinson, Jason Gildon, Oliver Gibson, et al...
You could make a solid arguement that we missed somewhat on Vincent and Teague....but they are average at least.
I don't think signing a name just to sign someone is the right move. We don't have much $$ to play with. Our biggest need right now is OT. We can fill in spots at DT, but that OT spot is far too critical to let our existing depth fill.
If we come away from the FA period with an OT added, I would be satisfied. The rest can be picked up either in the draft or after the draft
As much as I would love to see it, I can't see us picking up a K, DE, or even a significant 3rd WR. And TE might be a pipe dream too.
Until we are entering training camp with two big holes, I would not get too worried.

did you even read my post? This isn't about Bledsoe- all these problems would stil exist if he was still here- the only thing we'd gain is some experience at QB. Trust me- having Bledsoe in there with no LG would have me just as panicked as I am now.

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 07:58 AM
I can't billieve Im hearing this!!! you cant lose hope!! thats not what we do!! we stick with our teams though thick and thin!!! if your not going to be a bills fan dont be a football fan at all....i hate it when people change there teams just so they can be with a good team....you know what that makes them....POSERS!

Hold on- back the truck up for a second. I never said anything about rooting for another team or not watching the games. I'm still going to shell out my $200 for Sunday Ticket to watch the games and we're going to go see at least one live game. I'm just saying that it doesn't look good- what I want to happen and what I think will happen are two totally different things.

footballhottie
03-03-2005, 07:58 AM
shut up about bledsoe!! were better off with out him!:monkeyp:bledsoe

lordofgun
03-03-2005, 08:01 AM
Finally. The voice of reason.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
03-03-2005, 08:02 AM
Here's the deal:

Going into 2005, we have an inexperienced QB and around $8 million in cap room to sign a backup QB, .....

Looking ahead to 2006, when JP will have some experience and we might be able to have some success....

Yeah, I read your post, very carefully...I know what you are trying to say here without you coming right out and saying it and I know from reading most of your other posts that you have been very vocal about what a mistake it was to cut the cord on Drew.

I just think it is time to let it go, move on and be optimistic. Optimism won't cost you a thing, and this offseason will be a heck of a lot more fun if you are optimistic. Obviously if we had some more cap room, and a first round pick, and weren't losing two significant players I would be happier too...but the reality is that we are pretty strapped for cash and mortgaged our future on Losman.....no going back now....so let's jump on the bus and roll with it!

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2005, 08:15 AM
shut up about bledsoe!! were better off with out him!:monkeyp:bledsoe

Do you say this because you think JP is the better talent or that you want to bang JP??? :idunno:

footballhottie
03-03-2005, 08:18 AM
talent...im not some girl that just likes football to look at the guys....dont ever question that

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I read your post, very carefully...I know what you are trying to say here without you coming right out and saying it and I know from reading most of your other posts that you have been very vocal about what a mistake it was to cut the cord on Drew.

I just think it is time to let it go, move on and be optimistic. Optimism won't cost you a thing, and this offseason will be a heck of a lot more fun if you are optimistic. Obviously if we had some more cap room, and a first round pick, and weren't losing two significant players I would be happier too...but the reality is that we are pretty strapped for cash and mortgaged our future on Losman.....no going back now....so let's jump on the bus and roll with it!

I think you may be confusing me with someone else- what I've said is that we can't expect success with a QB who has no meaningful NFL experience. Bledsoe had to go- I just wish there was a way to get JP experience without potentially sacrificing our season while he goes through the learning curve.

Anyway, this post isn't about Bledsoe/Losman- it's about how we have no LG, K, DT or back-up and no money to sign them. It doesn't matter if Johnny Unitas came back from the dead to be our QB if we can't protect him or stop the run on defense.

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2005, 08:29 AM
talent...im not some girl that just likes football to look at the guys....dont ever question that
Ok Just checking... I will never question that again....

Earthquake Enyart
03-03-2005, 08:37 AM
All I'm saying is that we don't have a helluva lot of money, and we have glaring needs at LT, LG, DT and need 2 backup QB's.

Unless we are satisfied with Lawrence Smith, McFarland, Ron Edwards, and 2 streetwalker QB's.

footballhottie
03-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Ok Just checking... I will never question that again....good

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 08:44 AM
Ok Just checking... I will never question that again....
:thurm::whip:

footballhottie
03-03-2005, 08:49 AM
lol thats why i need strong guys becuase on the out side im this really nice sweet girl that bakes cookies and brings them to your work and plays with kids and puppys...but on the in side im like this tiger..some guys just dont know what to do...im not like a ***** or anything ..

Earthquake Enyart
03-03-2005, 08:52 AM
lol thats why i need strong guys becuase on the out side im this really nice sweet girl that bakes cookies and brings them to your work and plays with kids and puppys...but on the in side im like this tiger..some guys just dont know what to do...im not like a ***** or anything ..
Go away. We're talking football.

footballhottie
03-03-2005, 08:56 AM
:thurm::whip: i was reffering to that comment....you really dont have to jump on me...

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 08:57 AM
i was reffering to that comment....you really dont have to jump on me...
I wasn't jumping on you- I was jumping on Thurm caving ....... stop taking stuff so seriously!

THATHURMANATOR
03-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I NEVER CAVE!!!!!!

footballhottie
03-03-2005, 08:59 AM
I wasn't jumping on you- I was jumping on Thurm caving ....... stop taking stuff so seriously! you wernt jumping on me earthquake was

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 09:03 AM
you wernt jumping on me earthquake was

I'm sure there's plenty of guys who want to jump on you. Now... back to football.

Why is it that EE, Danny and I are the only ones who see cause for concern?

mysticsoto
03-03-2005, 09:04 AM
Hey, sometimes you need to tell it like it is...right? So that's just what I'll do too...

I'm really surprised to see people getting all worked up about our current status. Geez, wait until after the draft, or better yet...until training camp. Nobody here knows how well Tim Anderson on Ron Edwards will perform as a starter. Nobody here knows what will happen if TD drafts a Center and moves Teague to LT, and then possibly brings in Bannan and Jason Peters (our superman) to backup or challenge to start. Nobody here trains and sees these people every day to be able to make that decision like TD, McNally, the scouts, etc do.

But what people here do know is how to complain b'cse their neat little picture of the Bills was shattered with the recent changes. I can relate...I was somewhat shattered when Bruce Smith left. I was even angry when Ted Washington left. But I've learned that life goes on, and Salary Cap is designed to do just this. It is built into the system. We just have to move on and have faith in the up and coming youngsters that they can take over and produce. We still have a solid team in many ways. And some of the deficiencies have already been addressed (like having a statue/lead footed qb). TD & company don't just sit around. They've been relatively quiet in FA so far - which means they probably have a plan already for what they want to do and who they want to bring in. They might be possibly waiting to address some of these issues in the draft. Once TD delivers the personnel, other things will now need to be worked on and that's MM's job to accomplish. Up to now, he's made some minor mistakes, but I think MM overall is a good coach and I will leave it up to him and his assistant coaches to seal those holes with the talent they are given. This follows the Patriot blueprint for success and I believe it's the right one!

OpIv37
03-03-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm really surprised to see people getting all worked up about our current status. Geez, wait until after the draft, or better yet...until training camp. Nobody here knows how well Tim Anderson on Ron Edwards will perform as a starter. Nobody here knows what will happen if TD drafts a Center and moves Teague to LT, and then possibly brings in Bannan and Jason Peters (our superman) to backup or challenge to start. Nobody here trains and sees these people every day to be able to make that decision like TD, McNally, the scouts, etc do.

This is why I'm concerned- there are too many question marks-
How long will it take JP to get over the NFL learning curve?
Can Willis stay healthy?
Can Teague or whoever else cover Losman's blind side?
Can Peters and/or Bannan be converted to O-linemen?
Can Edwards or Anderson step up to replace Big Pat?
Will our TE's be ready to play?
What will we do about our crappy kicker?

Those are a lot of unknowns coming out of a season where we were one game shy of the playoffs. Certainly, all of these problems could be worked out by the start of the season, in which case we'll do fairly well. But if two or three of those questions aren't satisfactorily answered, expect another disappointing year in Buffalo.

The King
03-03-2005, 09:14 AM
I understand where Op is coming from, I have some of the same concerns but to be honest at the end of last year I thought everything was lost losing Winfield that worked out ok for us. Jennings is replaceable I am not worried there Pat will be replaced by Edwards and its a step back but not a giant one. Our D is very effective against the run but they are also smart, the run is Edwards biggest weakness he doesnt have Pats size and wont stuff the middle quite as much. But I think Edwards will play better against the pass creating more plays for our secondary. Like a said a step back but not a major one.

The coaches believe in Losman so I am going to go with them, it was a bold move letting Drew go and naming Losman #1. Thats said and done and the team should be moving foward... thats what this move says. I also agree with whoever said this is Mularkeys team and he wants his QB your absolutley right lets just hope Mularkey wasnt blinded by that mentality.

We dont need a #3 an improvement would be nice but it isnt a need. Reed will get one more year to try and put it together but I think he will be sharing time with the 2 guys below him on the depth chart Smith and Aiken. That being said if we can bring in someone for around 1mill a season like Patten I am all for it.

The TE position I consider a need. We have a QB who will be rolling out quite a bit I imagine that is not Campbells kind of game. We need to get a TE to fit this scheme.

All and all I think most of this will get addressed not with HUGE names but it will get addressed.

Dozerdog
03-03-2005, 09:16 AM
There will always be glass-half -empty guys, and Glass -half -full guys.

It's a free country. If the guy wants to be a pessimist and have it gnaw at his gut all offseason- let him.

helmetguy
03-03-2005, 09:20 AM
There will always be glass-half -empty guys, and Glass -half -full guys.

It's a free country. If the guy wants to be a pessimist and have it gnaw at his gut all offseason- let him.
Either way-half full or half empty-the glass was too big to begin with.

finsrclowns
03-03-2005, 09:31 AM
This is why I'm concerned- there are too many question marks-

How long will it take JP to get over the NFL learning curve?
Three years is about average for a new starting QB. But that doesn't mean he can't be good enough to win games in the meantime.

Can Willis stay healthy?
I think his knee has shown it can take the pounding of an NFL season. At this point he's no more likely to get hurt than anyone else IMO. But he should be even better this year based on normal recovery from major knee surgery.

Can Teague or whoever else cover Losman's blind side?
I think they will try to play Teague at LT and I have my doubts as to whether he's up for the job. This is easily the biggest question mark on the team with QB being a close 2nd.

Can Peters and/or Bannan be converted to O-linemen?
If either of these guys sees the field ths year in meaningful action you've got serious problems. Both are as green as grass.

Can Edwards or Anderson step up to replace Big Pat?
Not entirely, there will be a drop off, particularly against the run. But Anderson needed to play sooner or later as a 3rd round pick, now's his time to step up.

Will our TE's be ready to play?
Probably not at 100% by the start of the season. But I expect TD will address the TE position via FA and/or draft.

What will we do about our crappy kicker?
I think you replace him, maybe via the draft. If the coaches concluded they couldn't trust Bledsoe to win a big game, how much can they trust Lindell?

Those are a lot of unknowns coming out of a season where we were one game shy of the playoffs. Certainly, all of these problems could be worked out by the start of the season, in which case we'll do fairly well. But if two or three of those questions aren't satisfactorily answered, expect another disappointing year in Buffalo.

There are a number of issues, but I think if you visited the boards of virtually every NFL city you'd find a list at least as long. Nature of the beast in today's NFL. Buckle up and hope for the best.

mysticsoto
03-03-2005, 10:34 AM
There are a number of issues, but I think if you visited the boards of virtually every NFL city you'd find a list at least as long. Nature of the beast in today's NFL. Buckle up and hope for the best.
Good point...and that's exactly it. Due to Salary Caps, no one ever knows how solid their team will be. That's part of the fun. Last year, I thought our team was going to be super solid. And then we went 0-4 much to my surprise.

The Patriots are looking good today, but tomorrow Brady could go down and although their backup looks pretty good, come game time, he might now be and they could turn out an average season.

That's why worrying about things like what if WM gets hurt, or Losman goes down...you can say that about virtually any player and about any team. What if Sam Adams were to go down? What if Spikes were to go down...every position would hurt if the starter went down - they are starters b'cse they are the best at that position. But you can't plan for every injury. The best you can do is try to get your backups up to par. Troy Vincent went down and McGee stepped up, made a few mistakes here and there, but ultimately proved himself. When someone gets hurt...you make due with what you have - end of story.

R. Rich
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM

Why not 3 backup QBs? Or maybe 1 backup QB, a backup P, and a backup RB?

Dicknoze69
03-03-2005, 10:53 AM
We need to have faith in our coaching staff that they can turn unheralded players into quality replacements. The Pats and Eagles have done it quite well and while I realize we haven't proven ourselves to be of their quality, I feel that is the direction we are heading.

Even the teams that are signing lots of players have question marks, which include the players they are signing. Signing big-name FA's will win you headlines, but it doesn't always win you ballgames.

I do agree that we have holes, but there's no need to overreact because every team this time of year has holes.

mybills
03-03-2005, 11:14 AM
I think Teague would be better at LT than C..one less thing for him to focus on! :snicker: I've never liked him at center, but the guy is fairly strong on the line.