PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Holcomb

Mr. Cynical
03-04-2005, 08:02 PM
He spent the first 5 years of his career under Manning. So there was no way he was going to start there....ever. And I'm sure his game didn't improve by sitting the bench that whole time.

He then went to Cleveland in 2001, backing up Tim Couch. Since Couch was the 1st overall pick in 1999, the Browns weren't about to give up on him just yet, so I'm sure Holcomb didn't get an honest shot at starting.

I guess what I'm getting at is that he has only played 24 games, 13 of which he started. Thus he never really had the chance to develop his game, something which I'm sure happens to alot of QBs. Therefore he might just turn out to be a good player, especially if he's around guys like Wyche and TC.

Heck, his QB rating is a full point higher than Drew's so he can't be any worse. :snicker:

RedEyE
03-04-2005, 08:05 PM
He's defintily a step up from Drew.

Italian Stallion
03-04-2005, 08:11 PM
He seriously could have helped this team in the playoffs last year as the starter....

I don't wanna totally lick his jock here, but I think this gives the Bills there best insurance policy at back up QB since Frank Reich...

Awesome signing

LifetimeBillsFan
03-04-2005, 08:20 PM
From the Cleveland games that I saw and what I heard from some Browns fans, Holcomb played very well when given the chance, but he wasn't really given a real chance to start in Cleveland because Couch was a # 1 pick and, then, because they signed J.Garcia--in part, because Holcomb had been hurt at the end of the previous season. The only knock on him that I have heard was that he has had injury problems the last couple of years, in part because the Browns' O-line was not very good.I think that this is an excellent signing and gives the Bills great insurance in case anything happens to JP Losman or he runs into the kind of difficulties that a young, first year starting QB can sometimes encounter (see Carson Palmer last season).

Iehoshua
03-04-2005, 08:52 PM
I like him. Not flashy but solid. Good backup...

:up:

G. Host
03-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Since Losman has not shown he is durable yet it is a good pickup; we can not expect Losman to start all games next three years the way he plays.

What is best it is a multi-year deal. In fact he and Losman will both have their contract up for renewal at same time.

Ickybaluky
03-04-2005, 10:24 PM
I posted this in another thread when someone asked me about him, so I'll just paste it in here:

Holcomb - I think this is a steal, especially since he took less money to come here than Cleveland was offering to start. I think he got spooked because he felt Cleveland was just going to use him for a year and then cut him when they found something better. He may be a backup with Buffalo, but he has more security and can probably see the full contract. He is making decent coin, and probably has incentives that kick in if he has a chance to play extensively.

Holcomb was a team leader, very popular among his teammates in Cleveland. He is tough, but that has led to his getting injured a lot. He can throw the ball pretty well and will stand in a take a hit. He isn't a guy that is going to run around a lot, but he is comfortable in the pocket. Cleveland had a crap OL, so he got beat up pretty bad, but the impressive thing was he didn't let it effect him. He always came back and played. He will throw the occasional interception, but he can throw for a lot of yardage as well. If something were to happen with J.P., you can win with this guy. I think he is better than Bledsoe at this point. Really, this is the perfect guy to have as a backup in Buffalo situation.

Mr. Cynical
03-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Yep, and he is at that point in his career where he is old enough to know his way around but young enough to still improve.

Bert102176
03-05-2005, 12:37 AM
he's a step up from Drew and Mathews, I like our 2 QB's we have

Kerr
03-05-2005, 12:39 AM
Hopefully he can be our Frank Reich and step in and win a few if something were to happen to Los.

Tatonka
03-05-2005, 01:52 AM
i love the signing.

Historian
03-05-2005, 05:25 AM
I always liked the guy.

Playoff experience even!
:up:

Meathead
03-05-2005, 06:20 AM
lmao. More irrational hatred of Drew. Some of you are quite pathetic, in a funny/weird sort of way. lol.

There's no way he's better than Drew, but he's close and at half the price that's a major bargain.

YardRat
03-05-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm reserving judgement on him.

My father-in-law is a huge Browns fan, so I've heard stories about both sides of the coin on him.

Not better than Bledsoe IMO, but actually probably a better fit for the Losman-type offense we're going to run supposedly...if JP does happen to get hurt, not much should change in the game plan with Holcomb stepping in.

jamze132
03-05-2005, 10:18 AM
He seriously could have helped this team in the playoffs last year as the starter....

I don't wanna totally lick his jock here, but I think this gives the Bills there best insurance policy at back up QB since Frank Reich...

Awesome signing
I totally agree.

Mr. Cynical
03-05-2005, 02:15 PM
lmao. More irrational hatred of Drew. Some of you are quite pathetic, in a funny/weird sort of way. lol.:rolleyes:

There's no way he's better than DrewReally. At this point in both of their careers...comparing their ages, how many games both have played, the teams/coaches they've played for and the situations they've been in during their careers (backup to Manning/Couch vs. being drafted to start)....what's the basis of your definitive "no way" statement at *this point in time* that he is "no way" better than Drew?

mybills
03-05-2005, 05:36 PM
There's no way he's better than Drew
Hence the name, MEATHEAD! :D

mybills
03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
I like Holcomb, good signing. I am not happy about the competition between he & JP..they are planning to make them compete, right? It's a waste of a pick on JP..then again, the FO has ALWAYS GONE WITH ARM ONLY QB'S. :mad:

Jersey1031
03-05-2005, 05:42 PM
I like Holcomb, good signing. I am not happy about the competition between he & JP..they are planning to make them compete, right? It's a waste of a pick on JP..then again, the FO has ALWAYS GONE WITH ARM ONLY QB'S. :mad:

nothing wrong with a little healthy competition for the job, to ensure jp's the man

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-05-2005, 05:47 PM
nothing wrong with a little healthy competition for the job, to ensure jp's the man

There's not going to be a compition J.P. is our starting QB it was on www.billsdaily.com today
His agent said his client has no problem backing up J.P. Losman. Holcomb feels wanted by Buffalo and is comfortable with the coaches and the offense.

mybills
03-05-2005, 06:00 PM
There's not going to be a compition J.P. is our starting QB it was on www.billsdaily.com today

:phew: Thanks!

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
03-05-2005, 06:03 PM
I :love: the guy he's a winner he showed me that by taking the Browns to the 2002 playoffs against Mike Mularkey's Pittsburgh team. Holcomb threw for 438 yards, but the Browns lost, 36-33. Holcomb threw for 326 yards in a 40-39 loss to Kansas City in 2003 (the Browns lost on a penalty when one of their players prematurely removed his helmet). He threw for 413 yards in a 58-48 loss to Cincinnati last season.

Mr. Cynical
03-06-2005, 01:48 AM
His agent said his client has no problem backing up J.P. Losman. Holcomb feels wanted by Buffalo and is comfortable with the coaches and the offense.
Great news. :up:

Turf
03-06-2005, 07:37 AM
I'll predict that Holcomb outplays JP in the preseason, and everyone will be calling for him to start.

Kerr
03-06-2005, 08:04 AM
Los' job to lose.

mysticsoto
03-06-2005, 09:43 AM
I'll predict that Holcomb outplays JP in the preseason, and everyone will be calling for him to start.
I don't know. Holcomb might have more experience, but JP is motivated to succeed or he wouldn't be there right now studying film and working out every day while many players are just on vacation. I think he has the drive and the competitive instinct for the position. And I truly believe him when he says he would've challenged DB for the position this year.

Besides, let's remember that MM wants to implement a more flexible offense that involves a mobile QB. Holcomb is a step up from DB, but he is not anywhere close to the mobility that JP has!