PDA

View Full Version : My remaining offseason priorities

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 09:23 AM
My view on the Bills remaining offseason priorities by position:

LT - Shelton? There are some others, like Fred Miller- but he’s the guy we want. Could be one drafted in Rd 2, with Gandy filling in for a year.

G- DeMulling, Keydrick Vincent - or someone else (Cosey Colman- Dixon, ect...)

TE- Don’t need a flashy receiver- we need more of a blocking TE. Maybe Peters will develop into that guy.

RB- With Henry gone, we need another good backup here. I’d like to see a battering ram- change of pace guy. Ron Dayne could be had for vet min. Could also be addressed in the draft. We also have just one Fullback on the entire roster right now. I’d like to get a Reuben Droughns/Mike Anderson type- FB/RB combo.

DL- Quality depth at DT or DE never hurts.

K- I don’t see anyone in free agency better than Lindell. Not a lot out there. Not spending a day 1 pick on one either.

DB depth. – Would be nice to have a backup plan if Clements bolts next year. If we draft one high that might tip TD’s hand on next season.

QB- Holcomb was a great pickup- let’s get Matthews signed as depth or get a project in the draft that we can ship to NFL Europe for seasoning.

WR/LB/C – If we get anyone- it’s for quality depth. LBs are thin for reserves, we will probably draft one. Kevin Johnson would make a nice #3 or #4 WR- it would push Reed.

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 09:28 AM
i agree with everything you said.

about the FB position.. we picked up a FA FB last year no? he is that FB/RB type you were talking about. cant remember his name.. he was a white guy from BYU or Airforce or something

Ebenezer
03-07-2005, 09:31 AM
My view on the Bills remaining offseason priorities by position:

LT - Shelton? There are some others, like Fred Miller- but he’s the guy we want. Could be one drafted in Rd 2, with Gandy filling in for a year.

G- DeMulling, Keydrick Vincent - or someone else (Cosey Colman- Dixon, ect...)

TE- Don’t need a flashy receiver- we need more of a blocking TE. Maybe Peters will develop into that guy.

RB- With Henry gone, we need another good backup here. I’d like to see a battering ram- change of pace guy. Ron Dayne could be had for vet min. Could also be addressed in the draft. We also have just one Fullback on the entire roster right now. I’d like to get a Reuben Droughns/Mike Anderson type- FB/RB combo.

DL- Quality depth at DT or DE never hurts.

K- I don’t see anyone in free agency better than Lindell. Not a lot out there. Not spending a day 1 pick on one either.

DB depth. – Would be nice to have a backup plan if Clements bolts next year. If we draft one high that might tip TD’s hand on next season.

QB- Holcomb was a great pickup- let’s get Matthews signed as depth or get a project in the draft that we can ship to NFL Europe for seasoning.

WR/LB/C – If we get anyone- it’s for quality depth. LBs are thin for reserves, we will probably draft one. Kevin Johnson would make a nice #3 or #4 WR- it would push Reed.
1st priority is still LT...

superbills
03-07-2005, 09:50 AM

about the FB position.. we picked up a FA FB last year no? he is that FB/RB type you were talking about. cant remember his name.. he was a white guy from BYU or Airforce or something

Luke Lawton, McNeese State perhaps? Was cut in training camp, but then assigned to the practice squad on Dec. 2nd, but may be with Atlanta now. No one has him listed on their roster :question:

Jayhawk
03-07-2005, 09:51 AM
yeah we need an LT above anything. I'd take a flyer on a RB in the late rounds.

EDS
03-07-2005, 09:57 AM
If Henry is traded I would look to sign a back-up running back along the lines of Tyrone Wheatley.

As for the o-line, a starting caliber tackle in free agency or via trade would be ideal and a guard to compete with Tucker early in the draft.

Romes
03-07-2005, 09:59 AM

Luke Lawton, McNeese State perhaps? Was cut in training camp, but then assigned to the practice squad on Dec. 2nd, but may be with Atlanta now. No one has him listed on their roster :question:

Luke Lawton was his name and the Falcons picked him up off our practice squad on 1/5/05

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=4081

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 10:14 AM
If Henry is traded I would look to sign a back-up running back along the lines of Tyrone Wheatley.

As for the o-line, a starting caliber tackle in free agency or via trade would be ideal and a guard to compete with Tucker early in the draft.
To be honest I think we could do alot better then Wheatley.

OT is a huge need. There is no way anybody on our roster (unless we move Fat Mike over to LT) that can start at LT for us. Either way if we move Mike over there we still need a tackle.

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 10:18 AM

:hi5:

Tatonka
03-07-2005, 10:26 AM
thanks on lawton.. i just couldnt remember his name.. i thought he was still on our roster..

well.. fullbacks are a dime a dozen.. especially rb/fb types.. they always fall in the draft because teams either want a GOOD FB or a GOOD RB.. and you just dont see many hybrids other than a guy like alstot.

Jan Reimers
03-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Luke Lawton was his name and the Falcons picked him up off our practice squad on 1/5/05

Thanks, Romes, I like the kid and thought we still had him. Unless we re-sign Burns, I guess we need a backup FB, in addition to our other needs.

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 10:46 AM
thanks on lawton.. i just couldnt remember his name.. i thought he was still on our roster..

well.. fullbacks are a dime a dozen.. especially rb/fb types.. they always fall in the draft because teams either want a GOOD FB or a GOOD RB.. and you just dont see many hybrids other than a guy like alstot.

FBs, Kickers, and Punters don't get any love in the NFL draft.
None of those positions get drafted on day 1 and you're lucky to count on one hand any that get drafted at all.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:04 AM
FBs, Kickers, and Punters don't get any love in the NFL draft.
None of those positions get drafted on day 1 and you're lucky to count on one hand any that get drafted at all.
Janikowski, Sauerbrun (sp?), Konrad, Kleinsasser, Alstott, Edwards (ND FB/JAC), Holcombe.. I think thats all that I can think of at least recently anyway. Thats only in rounds 1 and 2. Thats 7 that I can think of in the past about 10 years. Certainly not alot. And there haven't been too many recently. Sander, Kaeding, Evans are the only 1s in round 3 that were recently drafted. You can find good players late in the draft or undrafted for these positions which are very important.

Michael82
03-07-2005, 11:17 AM

Damn, I liked him. :mad:

Dozerdog
03-07-2005, 11:18 AM
Two of those three kickers are non factors in the NFL- and the third blew his kick in the playoffs. Any poor slob can miss in the playoffs.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:20 AM
Two of those three kickers are non factors in the NFL- and the third blew his kick in the playoffs. Any poor slob can miss in the playoffs.
Whos the 3rd kicker? Janikowski, Kaeding and ?

Mudflap1
03-07-2005, 11:21 AM
I agree Dozer, but don't underestimate the need for TE's and a 3rd WR. It would sure make me feel a lot better picking Losman for QB if he has a lot of weapons to sue.

LT, the O-line in general, and finding a replacment for PW are the top priorities above all though.

Jon

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:23 AM
I agree Dozer, but don't underestimate the need for TE's and a 3rd WR. It would sure make me feel a lot better picking Losman for QB if he has a lot of weapons to sue.

LT, the O-line in general, and finding a replacment for PW are the top priorities above all though.

Jon
I think we already have our replacement for PW.

BuffaloRanger
03-07-2005, 11:27 AM
Since there is no kicker better in FA, why not pass on a backup DE, TE, LB, etc that will not contribute this year, and who's only contribution might ever be on Special Teams and select a better kicker? If the position is a GLARING need that cannot be addressed through FA, why not draft one? Regardless of "that's not how's it done in the NFL" mentality.

Many of the best kickers today weren't drafted or drafted late. BUT, they didn't make an impact their rookie season. It took them a couple years to put it all together. We need a kicker that can produce touchbacks and more importantly, FGs.

Do you have full confidence in a kicker that can't make a 27yd kick at home, with the season on the line?

Do you enjoy watching kickoffs to the 10, wind at your back?

The Bills kicker will suck next year, whoever it is. He'll cost the team at least 2 games. Again.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Because we can always find a kicker without drafting 1 in round 2. Teams do it all the time. Heck just about every team in the league does it.

BuffaloRanger
03-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Where will this "magical" kicker come from?

I'd rather have Christie than Lindell. Not because Christie is so great, but becuase Lindell is so bad. Christie misses FGs, but he can still make 50 ydrs and the media will have a field day with the "last remaining link to the SB days has returned" story.

But TD treated him like a POS when he cut him. Typical TD.

If we go into this season with Lindell or Pochman as our Kicker, it won't matter whoelse we signed. No playoffs.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:47 AM
Where will this "magical" kicker come from?

I'd rather have Christie than Lindell. Not because CHrisite is so great, but becuase Lindell is so bad. He can still make 50 ydrs and the media will have a field day with the "last remaining link to the SB days has returned" story.

But TD treated him like a POS when he cut him. Typical TD.

If we go into this season with Lindell or Pochman as our Kicker, it won't matter whoelse we signed. No playoffs.
Same "magical" place all the other kickers in the league come from. :funny:

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 11:52 AM
Don't understimate Pochman. He has a strong leg.

Spiderweb
03-07-2005, 12:36 PM
To be honest I think we could do alot better then Wheatley.

OT is a huge need. There is no way anybody on our roster (unless we move Fat Mike over to LT) that can start at LT for us. Either way if we move Mike over there we still need a tackle.

Wheatley would still be a batter choice than Ron Dayne, who flat out stinks. Considering his size coming out, he never showed any power at all. Huge disappointment to the Giants. Avoid Dayne.

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Wheatley would still be a batter choice than Ron Dayne, who flat out stinks. Considering his size coming out, he never showed any power at all. Huge disappointment to the Giants. Avoid Dayne.
Yeah not much of a Dayne fine myself either. I would like to trade for Davenport or go after Chester Taylor or Anthony Thomas.

Mudflap1
03-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Any of those guys mentioned would be fine. We just need a guy that's solid...

Ron Edwards/Tim Anderson as the replacement for Pat Williams? Maybe, but maybe not. I'd still (like Holcomb/Losman) like to see a veteran DT brought in that is at least solid to compete with Edwards and Anderson so that we at least have a respectable guy that is in there no matter what.

Jon

Sportsuser101
03-07-2005, 02:01 PM
Any of those guys mentioned would be fine. We just need a guy that's solid...

Ron Edwards/Tim Anderson as the replacement for Pat Williams? Maybe, but maybe not. I'd still (like Holcomb/Losman) like to see a veteran DT brought in that is at least solid to compete with Edwards and Anderson so that we at least have a respectable guy that is in there no matter what.

Jon
I think Edwards showed alot last year. He really impressed me and at times was better then Adams and Williams. I don't know enough about Anderson from his OSU days and I didn't like the pick (preferred the kid from Hawaii Soapoga or whatever his name was) but the Bills coaches seem to be pretty high on him. I wouldn't mind bringing in a vet but I wouldn't call getting a DT a big priority for us. Alot of teams could do alot worse then Adams and Edwards as there starting DTs.