PDA

View Full Version : Garrison Hearst visits

The Spaz
04-08-2005, 07:18 AM
According to News Channel 4 WIVB RB Garrison Hearst visited the Bills yesterday. It's only a matter of time before the trade gets done.

http://images.nfl.com/images/players/60x80/1164.jpg
<b>Garrison Hearst</b>

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1164

Bill Brasky
04-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Watch the "Garrison Hearst is a special kind of player" threads start flooding the boards

The Spaz
04-08-2005, 07:23 AM
Watch the "Garrison Hearst is a special kind of player" threads start flooding the boards

It would bother me if he was the starter but he's not.

Tatonka
04-08-2005, 07:30 AM
i would definately take him as a back up.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Cool. I'll take Hearst at the vet min on a one year deal. Good backup for McGahee.

But is he under contract with the Broncos? I assume he is a free agent.

He is well rested, having not taken much abuse over the past year and a half. Coming off a fractured hand...but I think we could use his locker room leadership.

Jan Reimers
04-08-2005, 07:51 AM
I'm not sure, given Hearst's age and history of injuries, that he's that good a back up candidate. I'd pass.

OpIv37
04-08-2005, 08:11 AM
I'm not sure, given Hearst's age and history of injuries, that he's that good a back up candidate. I'd pass.

agreed- the guy's older than dirt.

Patti120
04-08-2005, 08:14 AM
Hearst would be a good backup. The only threads we should see regarding him as a "special player" should be in regards to his coming back successfully after he broke his lower leg like 5 years ago. ( I think he had the Bo Jackson type of problem where not enough blood gets to it, etc.. and there were concerns that his career was over.) Other than overcoming that he's an older back now who would be a good backup as long as he stays healthy.

Mr. Miyagi
04-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I'd take him as a backup. He was part of my fantasy championship team a couple years ago. :up:

juice
04-08-2005, 08:40 AM
G. Hearst has been a 1000 yd/4.0 YPC back throughout his time in the League with a 1500 yard season a few years ago plus he can catch the ball out of the backfield.. I'm sure he learned how to pick up the Blitz while in SF so he's a viable 3rd down back to give WM a rest.

If he's still in good shape he'd be worth taking a look at, he's been a conditioning guy since returning from his early ankle/leg injury.. A beast in college.

Kerr
04-08-2005, 09:10 AM
TD should call up James Stewart and see if he's interested in a backup position. The guy fits our style of running game.

DMBcrew36
04-08-2005, 09:27 AM
I think they'll try to get him cause he's cheap

ryjam282
04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
I think he would be a good backup. He is a solid player, a little old, but a good backup if needed.

ParanoidAndroid
04-08-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm sure he learned how to pick up the Blitz while in SF so he's a viable 3rd down back to give WM a rest.

Exactly. He's a third down back. If McGahee goes down we would probably see Hearst, Burns, and Williams sharing the load.

Ebenezer
04-08-2005, 09:51 AM
I'll take him as a back up but with the Bills cap situation, if they get Shelton GH will be playing for the minimum.

Jan Reimers
04-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Hearst is 34 and was unproductive last year. We have enough veteran leadership on this team. I'd go with a younger guy who might also give us something on special teams.

Ebenezer
04-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Hearst is 34 and was unproductive last year. We have enough veteran leadership on this team. I'd go with a younger guy who might also give us something on special teams.
Granted...but for training camp purposes I'd give him a look...if he can't cut it then he gets cut.

mysticsoto
04-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Granted...but for training camp purposes I'd give him a look...if he can't cut it then he gets cut.
That's probably reasonable. Bring him in and let him compete with the youngsters and with Dante Brown - if he loses out, send him packing. I have a feeling that Dante must be pretty good if they signed him already despite a draft full of good RBs that we could still probably draft toward the lower rounds!!!

Tatonka
04-08-2005, 10:16 AM
hearst never got a chance to play last year..

i would be confident that he could fill in for a couple games if need be.. williams is our 3rd down back if we need one.. but mcgahee will be in there most of the time.

ryjam282
04-08-2005, 10:16 AM
I think you are right Eb, good idea. Like we did with Gildon last year

Devin
04-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Not a bad backup at all. A 1 year deal should suffice.

Jan Reimers
04-08-2005, 10:38 AM
I simply like backups who can play on special teams. That's why I'm usually opposed to signing older guys who once were stars, but are now fragile, one dimensional players.

Iehoshua
04-08-2005, 10:44 AM
I simply like backups who can play on special teams. That's why I'm usually opposed to signing older guys who once were stars, but are now fragile, one dimensional players.
Interesting way to look at it, I hadn't thought about it in those terms.

Hearst would not fit this criteria for sure.

Spielmanrules54
04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm in favor in holding off until draft time... once everyone gets their running back in the draft, the asking price on some other FAs will drop and we can get Anthony Thomas or Amos Zereoue for cheap... Hearst is still a viable option for like a 1year backup while Dante Brown and Shaud Williams continue to develop. I just think with the glut of running backs in the draft we can afford to wait and pick up a good backup for very little money.... maybe a couple good ones will pop up after June 1st as well who knows! Let's not rush to sign a backup just yet... let's make sure Henry's gone FIRST!

Tatonka
04-08-2005, 11:05 AM
i would definately rather have anthony thomas over hearst.

RedEyE
04-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Anthony Thomas will probably be priced slightly higher than Hearst.

Good news is that this is sure sign that the Bills are going to trade Henry and soon.

Romes
04-08-2005, 11:45 AM
first of all, this news pretty much confirms that the Shelton deal will get done.

Second, Hearst is an ideal third down back. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He is also a smart veteran that can pick up the blitz very well.

As for him playing special teams, Henry didn't play special teams and I doubt a guy like Anthony Thomas would play special teams. Our RBs that are on STs are Burns and S. Williams. I think its a smart idea to bring in a veteran, productive back.

ShadowHawk7
04-08-2005, 12:08 PM
According to News Channel 4 WIVB RB Garrison Hearst visited the Bills yesterday. It's only a matter of time before the trade gets done.

http://images.nfl.com/images/players/60x80/1164.jpg
&lt;b&gt;Garrison Hearst&lt;/b&gt;

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1164

Are you talking about the Shelton trade, or will we have to trade for Hearst? I'd take him as a backup, but I wouldn't give much for him if anything.

Exactly. He's a third down back. If McGahee goes down we would probably see Hearst, Burns, and Williams sharing the load.

Burns stinks. I'd like to see a WM-Hearst-SW combo, just like the Pack do w/ Green-Davenport-Fisher.

Carlton Bailey
04-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Signing Hearst for backup would be a great move. The guy's still a good runner and he can catch passes out of the backfield. As an added bonus, he's probably like a 75 in Madden next year so it'll give the Bills a good backup in the game.

sdbillsfan1
04-08-2005, 01:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I he looks like he still has some gas in the tank and the price is right .why not keep him for a year .If he looks like he won't hold out for the year cut his ass.
This wouldn't be the first time . Who did we get from denver last year or the year before that ended up with detriot ?

Either way it's not bad insurace to at least take a look !

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-08-2005, 02:29 PM
We have enough veteran leadership on this team. I'd go with a younger guy who might also give us something on special teams.

Well.....tell me exactly where our veteran offensive leadership is......

Moulds? Is he really a locker room leader?
Maybe Holcombe but he is new to the team.

We have an awful lot of young and new faces on offense, I think we need a good locker room guy for the offense.

Between the successful special teams last year and a new crop of rookie talent...I don't think we need to worry about our primary backup rb being a special teams ace....

Hey....I am not banging the drum just for Hearst....I'll take any cheap, talented, proven RB as our backup.

Here's a list of guys I would consider, not including Hearst:

Amos Zereoue
Anthony Thomas
Dorsey Levens
Tyrone Wheatley
James Stewart
Ki-Jana Carter
J.R. Redmund
Stacey Mack
Travis Jervey

My personal favorite would be either Stacey Mack or Tyrone Wheatley.

Big bruisers!!!

Italian Stallion
04-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Ty Wheatley or Anthony Thomas would be my first choices... these bruising runners can help wear out the opposing defense further, all while Willis catches a breather, and comes back in to face a winded defense.....

Hearst wouldn't be a bad option, but his injury problems concern me

LifetimeBillsFan
04-08-2005, 02:36 PM
i would definately rather have anthony thomas over hearst.
I agree! Hearst is older than Thomas and has more mileage and injuries on him. While Thomas isn't much of a pass receiver and Hearst is, Thomas is a tough, inside runner who can spell Willis in the Bills power running game and get the tough yards on the goal-line that S.Williams can't if Willis has to sit out for any reason. As for Hearst being a "change of pace" third down back who can catch the ball out of the backfield, the Bills already have a much younger one in S.Williams. The only thing IMHO that Hearst would offer over an A.Thomas-S.Williams combo backing up Willis is that he is a more experienced and, therefore, better blocker as a third down back.

Anthony Thomas will probably be priced slightly higher than Hearst.

Good news is that this is sure sign that the Bills are going to trade Henry and soon.
Maybe. While Thomas wants to be a starter and probably has been looking for starter's money, I don't think that he has generated much interest so far. It is possible that, after the draft, his price might come down dramatically since there probably won't be any more teams looking for a starting RB at that point. If--and only if--his price comes down and he is willing to accept a back-up role without complaining about playing time (something that Hearst would probably be more willing to do), I would prefer Thomas over Hearst if the money is roughly the same.

But, I do agree that this does appear to be a positive sign that the Henry trade will go through and that is certainly good news!

mysticsoto
04-08-2005, 03:10 PM
I agree! Hearst is older than Thomas and has more mileage and injuries on him. While Thomas isn't much of a pass receiver and Hearst is, Thomas is a tough, inside runner who can spell Willis in the Bills power running game and get the tough yards on the goal-line that S.Williams can't if Willis has to sit out for any reason. As for Hearst being a "change of pace" third down back who can catch the ball out of the backfield, the Bills already have a much younger one in S.Williams. The only thing IMHO that Hearst would offer over an A.Thomas-S.Williams combo backing up Willis is that he is a more experienced and, therefore, better blocker as a third down back.

Maybe. While Thomas wants to be a starter and probably has been looking for starter's money, I don't think that he has generated much interest so far. It is possible that, after the draft, his price might come down dramatically since there probably won't be any more teams looking for a starting RB at that point. If--and only if--his price comes down and he is willing to accept a back-up role without complaining about playing time (something that Hearst would probably be more willing to do), I would prefer Thomas over Hearst if the money is roughly the same.

But, I do agree that this does appear to be a positive sign that the Henry trade will go through and that is certainly good news!

I hate to criticize, but I think...unless we upgrade the Center position with someone who can move NTs out of the way, I don't think we are going to be doing much running up the middle. Therefore, getting Anthony Thomas wouldn't do us much good as he'll just face the same problems that TH faced. If, however, we draft a stud Center with the strength to open up holes (and I'm starting to like Incognito more than anyone for the Center position), then I would change my view and think that the A-train could be a fantastic addition to our offensive arsenal. Put in WM, to tire them, rest WM and put in AT to tire them some more, then WM comes back and mops up with his speed and power. That would be REAL smash mouth football!!!!!

Jersey1031
04-08-2005, 03:14 PM
hes a good backup. id bring him into camp

LifetimeBillsFan
04-08-2005, 03:34 PM
I hate to criticize, but I think...unless we upgrade the Center position with someone who can move NTs out of the way, I don't think we are going to be doing much running up the middle. Therefore, getting Anthony Thomas wouldn't do us much good as he'll just face the same problems that TH faced. If, however, we draft a stud Center with the strength to open up holes (and I'm starting to like Incognito more than anyone for the Center position), then I would change my view and think that the A-train could be a fantastic addition to our offensive arsenal. Put in WM, to tire them, rest WM and put in AT to tire them some more, then WM comes back and mops up with his speed and power. That would be REAL smash mouth football!!!!!
I won't argue with you about this one bit! With the depth at center in this year's draft and T.Teague entering the last year of his contract, I think it would be a great time to get a guy who is capable of doing exactly what you are saying!!! Bringing in a tough, talented, hard-nosed young center this year would give him a chance to play and develop for a year before he would have to take over the starting role on a full-time basis.

I totally agree with you about how the Bills could/should use their RBs as well--very much the same way that the Steelers used Staley and Bettis last season. If the Bills do get Shelton, with B.Anderson, C.Villarial, M.Williams and a tough, young, mauler at center, the Bills would have a massive group of road-graders who could pave the way for Willis and wear down opposing defenses, like "The Hogs" did for Washington. That would allow M.Mularkey and T.Clements a lot of flexibility in the way that they would be able to use JP Losman and the rest of the Bills' other skill players--and take the pressure off of their defense. That's why I would prefer to get a big RB--either a vet FA like A.Thomas or draft a hard-running rookie--to back-up McGahee along with S.Williams, who provides the quickness and change of pace without being asked to do things that he really is too small to do.

mysticsoto
04-08-2005, 07:47 PM
I won't argue with you about this one bit! With the depth at center in this year's draft and T.Teague entering the last year of his contract, I think it would be a great time to get a guy who is capable of doing exactly what you are saying!!! Bringing in a tough, talented, hard-nosed young center this year would give him a chance to play and develop for a year before he would have to take over the starting role on a full-time basis.

I totally agree with you about how the Bills could/should use their RBs as well--very much the same way that the Steelers used Staley and Bettis last season. If the Bills do get Shelton, with B.Anderson, C.Villarial, M.Williams and a tough, young, mauler at center, the Bills would have a massive group of road-graders who could pave the way for Willis and wear down opposing defenses, like "The Hogs" did for Washington. That would allow M.Mularkey and T.Clements a lot of flexibility in the way that they would be able to use JP Losman and the rest of the Bills' other skill players--and take the pressure off of their defense. That's why I would prefer to get a big RB--either a vet FA like A.Thomas or draft a hard-running rookie--to back-up McGahee along with S.Williams, who provides the quickness and change of pace without being asked to do things that he really is too small to do.

Now all TD has to do is get AT to see things this way also - he would still be #2 however - how big is his ego?

LifetimeBillsFan
04-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Now all TD has to do is get AT to see things this way also - he would still be #2 however - how big is his ego?
That I don't know.

As I understand it from the press reports that I read during the season, he played the "good soldier" for the most part last season in Chicago while sitting behind T.Jones--he didn't make waves about sitting or criticize Jones, but let people know that he feels that he can be a starter in the NFL and that he wasn't particularly interested in staying in Chicago after his contract expired without doing so in an acrimonious fashion. He seemed to be handling it a bit better than T.Henry, even though he had probably as much or more reason to be upset with the Bears than Henry did with the Bills: basically, as I understand it, the new Bears coaching staff decided that T.Jones could do what they wanted their starting RB to do better than A.Thomas and handed Thomas' starting job to Jones based on that assessment without regard for what Thomas had done previously, where the Bills kept Henry as the starter until he got hurt and McGahee showed that he was more productive as his replacement.

It was interesting to read some of the things--posted on the Bears' website--that L.Smith and the Chicago OC, T.Shea, had to say about Thomas when Jones was injured: they talked about how they were going to have to adjust their offense because of Thomas' limitations and how they weren't sure how well he would perform because he couldn't do everything that they want their RBs to do, and made no secret of the fact that they couldn't wait for Jones to recover from his injury and get back on the field (they talked about how they were hoping to have Jones start again after only one week off with a serious turf toe--an injury that typically takes 2-3 weeks or more to recover from--and they actually rushed him back early from the injury and had him starting again, even though he was limited by the injury and wasn't able to put up the kind of numbers he had before the injury at that point), etc. They made A.Thomas sound like some kind of a bum that they had picked up off of the street, even after he had put up huge numbers against the NY Giants and performed well in his starts. If I would have been Thomas, I would have been very upset by the way that they treated him--T.Henry would go ballistic if the Bills treated him like that!

Still, it is hard to know what A.Thomas is thinking at this point--whether he is still holding out hope that he can sign with a team where he can compete for a starting job or how much money he is looking for. With Pasquarelli reporting that the NY Giants are interesting in possibly trading for William Green--something that I haven't seen anything about in the NYC area papers, etc. (URL: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2032581&num=6), it is possible that the market for the RBs who are looking to be starters with a new team is so small that Thomas may have to reassess his position and will be more realistic in terms of what he is looking for. We'll just have to wait and see....

thebuffalobills4
04-09-2005, 09:13 AM
true just like the ty law threads.

Carlton Bailey
04-09-2005, 02:27 PM
true just like the ty law threads.
That's because Ty Law is a special kind of player.

Slim
04-09-2005, 03:20 PM
That's because Ty Law is a special kind of player.

hahahahaha, hes got a point with bb4

BillsFanInMass
04-09-2005, 06:23 PM
One of the guys i work with is a long time Niners fan and one of his favorite players was Hearst. He was so mad when they got rid of him . The guy has great hands and a wicked stiff arm like Mcgahee. Do you guys remember what he did to the jets in overtime it was afew years back. He had like a 98 yard Td run were he absolutly decleated a guy with his stiff arm i loved it. I think he would be a great third down option have him and mcgahee in the same backfield like they did with Henry and him.

Dozerdog
04-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I like his blitz pickup ability. He would be a great mentor for McGahee. Plus he would be very versatile in spot duty- a great vet to have in the huddle and a good option for a near-rookie QB to fall back on if it's 3rd and 12.

However, if McGahee went down for an extended period, I'd rather have an unhappy Henry or Anthony Thomas as options. They have more in the tank for an extended starting period of time.