PDA

View Full Version : NFL Rumors: Skins interest in Clements

askabry
04-19-2005, 07:29 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noted this, but Washington papers are commenting that the Skins are looking to trade #9 overall, and they have Nate Clements on their radar ... this in today's (4/19) paper. (registration required).

Personally ... I'd love it.

Novacane
04-19-2005, 07:36 AM
that rumor was brought up last week. Since he's going to walk away next year for nothing I'd jump on it if it was true but I don't believe it.

OpIv37
04-19-2005, 07:39 AM
I also heard on local radio (I'm in DC) that the Skins may trade for Philip Buchanan of the Raiders. Personally, I'd rather keep Clements around for a year than get a draft pick who may or may not succeed in the league. If the Bills brass has a particular player in mind that will be available at #9, it might be worth it, but we already lost Williamsl I don't want to see another hole in the defense that's only going to put more pressure on our young offense.

Also, I don't know why the Redskins are drooling over DB's. They have Spriggs and Taylor and had the #3 defense in the league. They really need help on the offensive side of the ball and young talent to replace their aging players.

justasportsfan
04-19-2005, 07:51 AM
Greghead would love to get every player we have on D.Every D player we have will contact him as well if they want to look elsewhere.

askabry
04-19-2005, 07:57 AM
I could easily see us moving Nate Clements, sliding Troy Vincent back to DB, and moving down out of #9 to take some combination of a saftey and a lineman. For instance ... trade Nate for #9 ... then trade #9 to San Diego for #12 and 28. San Diego gets the WR they covet, we take Alex Barron and with #28 a safety (Thomas Davis?).

Move Travis to Philly/TB and use #35 to take Spencer/Baas. Then use #55 on Nugent ... and you've completely restocked the team in the secondary, at LT, at C/G and at K. All for one player with appreciable playing time next year ... and that you would have lost the following year anyway.

Stewie
04-19-2005, 08:00 AM
Any receiver thats available at 9 will be available at 12.

I don't think SD would give up a late 1st rounder to move up.

I'd rather see us draft a CB with the #9. 1st round CB's are usually a pretty good bet, and I'd happily take either Rolle or Jones.

OpIv37
04-19-2005, 08:04 AM
I could easily see us moving Nate Clements, sliding Troy Vincent back to DB, and moving down out of #9 to take some combination of a saftey and a lineman. For instance ... trade Nate for #9 ... then trade #9 to San Diego for #12 and 28. San Diego gets the WR they covet, we take Alex Barron and with #28 a safety (Thomas Davis?).

Move Travis to Philly/TB and use #35 to take Spencer/Baas. Then use #55 on Nugent ... and you've completely restocked the team in the secondary, at LT, at C/G and at K. All for one player with appreciable playing time next year ... and that you would have lost the following year anyway.

Interesting thought- if anyone can pull it off, it's TD, but it still seems like wishful thinking. I just think we'd be really hurting in the backfield without Clements. Which reminds me- has Ty Law signed with anyone yet?

mysticsoto
04-19-2005, 08:09 AM

Not a bad plan, but seems unlikely. However, this is probably the only scenario where I might be happy taking Nugent at #55...although even then...we might get a better DT at that spot instead...

Italian Stallion
04-19-2005, 08:17 AM
Here's the link to the paper.... It says that the two sides "haven't had discussions", which in today's NFL world could mean about 5 different things

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64229-2005Apr18.html

don137
04-19-2005, 08:18 AM
That seems like a lot to give for a player going into the last year of his contract but we are talking about the Redskins. However, if Henry is traded to Tampa for Ronde Barber then the Redskins trading for Clements makes sense for the Bills. They lose Henry and Clements but gain Barber and the #9 overall pick.

Italian Stallion
04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
I don't think the 'skins will give up the #9, and frankly I don't think the Bills should want a pick that high in an average draft....The only reason this trade should go through is if they either get Barber from the Bucs or plan on moving Vincent back to CB...Trading Clements for the #9 to SELECT a CB is iditoic, all your doing is downgrading the position and saving money in signing bonus. That's not a proactive way to go about this.....

Now if they somehow get into the first round as a result of this trade, look for them to select a OL like Barron, J. Brown, the tight end Heath Miller, or perhaps a reciever like Williamson or Roddy White

Italian Stallion
04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Bottom line, they will use a Clements trade as a way to improve the OFFENSE somehow....

RedEyE
04-19-2005, 08:34 AM
That seems like a lot to give for a player going into the last year of his contract but we are talking about the Redskins. However, if Henry is traded to Tampa for Ronde Barber then the Redskins trading for Clements makes sense for the Bills. They lose Henry and Clements but gain Barber and the #9 overall pick.

Hmmmm.... interesting suggestion.

THATHURMANATOR
04-19-2005, 08:36 AM
I wouldn't be pissed if we did that trade.

ryven
04-19-2005, 08:54 AM
I would consider it only if we could get Rolle.

mysticsoto
04-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Bottom line, they will use a Clements trade as a way to improve the OFFENSE somehow....
But who then takes Nate's place ? McGee becomes our shutdown corner? His play has improved but I don't know if he's a shutdown corner? Who's 2nd? Who's our nickelback???

DraftBoy
04-19-2005, 09:56 AM
But who then takes Nate's place ? McGee becomes our shutdown corner? His play has improved but I don't know if he's a shutdown corner? Who's 2nd? Who's our nickelback???

well the rumor alot like is that we couple this with TB sending Barber over in a 1 for 1 swap for Henry. So our CB's would be; TV/Mcgee and Barber. Personally Id like to see TD make the move and then trade the pick down to high 20's and maybe take Barron or Brown or a DE like Erasmus James. I still think we need a true pass rushing DE.

If we dont make the TB deal id like to see us move the pick to the same posistion and pick up an extra 2nd and 4th and take Justin Miller or Matt Jones.

Either way its getting really exciting now with less than a week to go I cant wait till Saturday.

Michael82
04-19-2005, 10:16 AM
If we do this, TD will either trade for Barber or sign Ty Law after the draft. :up:

justasportsfan
04-19-2005, 10:23 AM
I could easily see us moving Nate Clements, sliding Troy Vincent back to DB, .I'm still not sure of how Vincent will pan out though. I see Baker being a stud safety beside Milloy this year. This kid has so much potential. Big hitter and can catch.

Stewie
04-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Trading Clements for the #9 to SELECT a CB is iditoic, all your doing is downgrading the position and saving money in signing bonus. That's not a proactive way to go about this.....

I disagree completely. First of all, Clements would command the #9 plus another pick, either this year or next. Second, even at the #9 slot, that new player is going to cost a lot less over the next five years than clements. We could use the extra money for other positions, or to extend McGahee or Evans.

Romes
04-19-2005, 11:22 AM
In a chat with TD via verizon text messaging TD just said that, "we don't know how this rumor started but there is nothing to it"

Michael82
04-19-2005, 11:30 AM
In a chat with TD via verizon text messaging TD just said that, "we don't know how this rumor started but there is nothing to it"
And he received my question, but never answered it. WTF. That kind of chatting is enough to drive you batty. When you are trying to text message when they are also sending the messages to you rapidly. It made me go :crazy:

Romes
04-19-2005, 11:35 AM
And he received my question, but never answered it. WTF. That kind of chatting is enough to drive you batty. When you are trying to text message when they are also sending the messages to you rapidly. It made me go :crazy:

TD did show a sense of humor at the end when he replied, "and we were prepared to say who our first pick was going to be but no one asked the question."

Michael82
04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
TD did show a sense of humor at the end when he replied, "and we were prepared to say who our first pick was going to be but no one asked the question."
I can't believe that no one bothered to ask him. :rofl:

MDFINFAN
04-19-2005, 01:01 PM
I know I haven't been here in awhile, but exactly why are you guys letting Clements go ago, is it Salary Cap or something else....for us Surtan is Salary Cap..

camelcowboy
04-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Im not a fan of Barber, I don't think he would fit very well within our system. Gray's defence is alot of blitzing, which requires alot of man-to-man converage.
Tampa Bay still plays that cover 2 which is a far more zone oriented coverage.

If i was TD i would try to get washingtons number 9 pick, I would also try to get a conditional pick from washingtons pick next year. Trade Henry to Tampa Bay or Philly for the 35th or 36th pick. Now a number of things can happen at 9. Alex Barron could be picked to satisfy a need at tackle, Mike Williams could be available, and i remeber us having a interest for him last year. You could select pac-man jones, or May be a top DE end such as Pollack or Erasmus James will be available.

Now you can settle for one of these players, but i think the bills should trade the number 9 pick down. A team like seattle, Kansas city, Indy, or New Orleans can use a corner. Trade that pick down, for a extra second round pick. Now the bills would be in the mid-teens, early twenties in the first round. You can pick up a good corner here, such as Brandon Browner, Justin Miller. You may have a chance to pick up a tackle such as Jammal Brown, or Khalif Barnes. Or If You want your can try to trade down again, aquire a 2nd or third round pick. This is what I would, If your trade down say to spot 29 which is were the colts pick. You can snatch up Matt Jones, before the eagles or steelers pick. Or you can take a Merlin Jackson, or corey webster.

If TD were to do this with the draft i can see us drafting like this.

1round Matt Jones

Round 2
35- CB Eric Green
55-OT Matt Terry

And you can have a additional pick in the 2nd round you can use on Baas, or Nugent. And with extra picks you can move around to get other players that you may want.

I know this probally wont happed but it's fun to think about the possiblitys

mysticsoto
04-19-2005, 01:40 PM
I know I haven't been here in awhile, but exactly why are you guys letting Clements go ago, is it Salary Cap or something else....for us Surtan is Salary Cap..
His contract is up next year and many are speculating that he might demand too much money to be able to resign. So they are saying that if we can get something for him this year - maybe we should.

If we could do something like what has been mentioned:

TH (RB) to TB for Barber (CB)
NC (CB) to Wash for 1st rd pick + something (4th rounder???)

I would actually probably be for that. With the 1st rd pick, we could get a top DE to help Schobel out. Barber is getting a little old, but should be adequate with a line that can actually pressure the QB into making mistakes. I would also like to draft a project CB like Brandon Browner in the 3rd rd or so to groom him for next year as Barber's eventual replacement. And, we'd get a top DE...although I guess we'd lose our chance for Matt Jones...if so, I'm not sure who we should go with our 2nd rd pick...We could go for a top CB (Corey Webster) instead of waiting to the 3rd for more of a project. We could go for a top Center in Spencer...

I think the best thing would be to trade down from the 9th, but of course, you need to make sure you can find someone to do that with...

I think things become trickier if we grab the 9th pick.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Two problems with this scenario: 1.) Washington announced to their fans that they are not going to trade their first round draft pick today and 2.) making a series of high profile trades, like those being proposed here--one contingent upon the other--is a lot more difficult than most fans think.

While Washington might be interested in getting N.Clements and could be "blowing smoke" about not trading their pick, not only would it be a lot more difficult for them to trade the pick now that they have made such a definitive public statement to their fans about not trading the pick, but there would be no reason for them to give up such a high pick for Clements when they could just as easily swoop in and steal P.Surtain for their 2nd round pick. Surtain would fill their CB needs for the next couple of years and give them time to find and develop a CB to take over for him down the road. P.Surtain would also probably cost a bit less than N.Clements as well--if the Skins weren't willing to pay C.Bailey or F.Smoot that kind of money, what makes anyone believe that they would be willing to give it to N.Clements, other than the fact that G.Williams coached Clements and is familiar with him?
I hate to keep saying this, but this isn't Fantasy Football where big-name players get swapped back and forth with ease and multiple team deals can be pulled off easily. In the NFL teams have to deal with the salary cap, agents, and front office philosophies, not to mention the fact that every FO believes that every other team in the league is out to screw them! It's easy to say, let's swap T.Henry for R.Barber, then, swap N.Clements for Washington's # 9 pick, then, let's trade that pick down to someone in the middle of the first round (something that every team in the Top 10 this year has reportedly been trying to do without success!) for multiple picks that we could use to pick these players or those--it is a whole lot harder for any GM to do! In fact, I'm not sure that even if a team had a GM that could walk on water he would actually be able to pull that off.

Realistically, if TD is able to trade T.Henry for a draft pick or player and put together a package of picks that will move the Bills up to the top of the 2nd round or into the lower portion of the 1st round, he will have accomplished a lot.

mysticsoto
04-19-2005, 03:38 PM
Two problems with this scenario: 1.) Washington announced to their fans that they are not going to trade their first round draft pick today and 2.) making a series of high profile trades, like those being proposed here--one contingent upon the other--is a lot more difficult than most fans think.

While Washington might be interested in getting N.Clements and could be "blowing smoke" about not trading their pick, not only would it be a lot more difficult for them to trade the pick now that they have made such a definitive public statement to their fans about not trading the pick, but there would be no reason for them to give up such a high pick for Clements when they could just as easily swoop in and steal P.Surtain for their 2nd round pick. Surtain would fill their CB needs for the next couple of years and give them time to find and develop a CB to take over for him down the road. P.Surtain would also probably cost a bit less than N.Clements as well--if the Skins weren't willing to pay C.Bailey or F.Smoot that kind of money, what makes anyone believe that they would be willing to give it to N.Clements, other than the fact that G.Williams coached Clements and is familiar with him?
I hate to keep saying this, but this isn't Fantasy Football where big-name players get swapped back and forth with ease and multiple team deals can be pulled off easily. In the NFL teams have to deal with the salary cap, agents, and front office philosophies, not to mention the fact that every FO believes that every other team in the league is out to screw them! It's easy to say, let's swap T.Henry for R.Barber, then, swap N.Clements for Washington's # 9 pick, then, let's trade that pick down to someone in the middle of the first round (something that every team in the Top 10 this year has reportedly been trying to do without success!) for multiple picks that we could use to pick these players or those--it is a whole lot harder for any GM to do! In fact, I'm not sure that even if a team had a GM that could walk on water he would actually be able to pull that off.

Realistically, if TD is able to trade T.Henry for a draft pick or player and put together a package of picks that will move the Bills up to the top of the 2nd round or into the lower portion of the 1st round, he will have accomplished a lot.
I agree with this. I guess my post was more ideal situation (meaning ideal for the Bills). And it is probably the only path that could lead to me being happy trading NC at this point.

I don't think however, that you should underestimate wanting to get a player who has played in their defensive system already. Surtain is older and might be cheaper, but NC having played under GW and knowing the scheme means he can just jump right in off the bat without any worries. I think that does count for alot more than you seem to indicate.

Nevertheless, I agree that this is an unlikely trade route that we, or any of the other teams, will take. As I said, this was more of a..."I would approve of trading NC if..." type of post.

Novacane
04-19-2005, 09:03 PM

4 days before the draft I don't believe a word any NFL executive says

RetroRaiders81
04-19-2005, 09:11 PM
It's possible, The skins turned down Oaklands offer, Buchanon was just traded to the Texans. They haven't annouced for what yet. :mad:

LtFinFan66
04-19-2005, 09:13 PM

IMO, no way Clements goes for the #9 if Miami is asking for a 2nd for Surtain and KC doesn't want to fess that up.

Ickybaluky
04-19-2005, 09:30 PM
It's possible, The skins turned down Oaklands offer, Buchanon was just traded to the Texans. They haven't annouced for what yet. :mad:

Houston's 2nd and 3rd round picks this year.

BuffaloRanger
04-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Clements is worth more than Buchanon, it sets the price. At least a first and a 3rd.

DraftBoy
04-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Clements is also worth more than Surtain, Miami is getting the screw job now that all they are being offered is a 2nd, KC is prolly cursing Houston right now. On Sportcenter today Peter King said the Travis Henry deal was done, he just didnt say to what team or for what.

colin
04-20-2005, 05:27 AM
hmmm,

with washington letting bucanon go, getting rood of smoot earlier, and no with another first rounder (9th and 25th), I could see us flipping clements for those 2 picks (might require a sweetener, but if we franchise him it would cost 2 1st rounders anyhow).

i could see us targetting merrymen (I just get the feeling he could do damage in the NFL and would not cost too much at #9) and wanting some interior linemen and CBs with our next 2 picks (i still think we will get a pick improvement and player for Henry, so if we have the 25th and 40th we have a lot of things we can do).

we could also trade for a pick next year, or target the best OT/DL this year.

i don't want clements to leave, but if it means reloading O and D line, and we think we can get another good corner then that is hard to pass on

BuffaloRanger
04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
I don't see us getting a #9 and #25 for NC. He may be good, but he's not that big a name. Look what the Vikes got for Moss?

Now the #25 and a 2nd rd along with a TH trade for a 2nd and 4th gives the Bills some serious draft options.

1 x 1st
3 x 2nd
1 x 3rd
2 x 4th

BuffaloRanger
04-20-2005, 03:07 PM
My cousin had predicted the Bills would trade NC for the skins 1st this year and 1st next year. TH to the Eagles for their 2nd and 3rd.

Then move Vincent back to CB and draft a Safety, DT, Nugent, and a Center.

I told him he was crazy.