PDA

View Full Version : Eagles still interested in Henry?

RedEyE
04-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Ok, I didn't want to post anything until I could find a suitable link, but there just isn't one out there. So, I'll add to the mass hysteria of rumors. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Here it is...

This morning I was listening to 680 The Fan here in Atlanta (ESPN syndicated radio in the afternoon), and Jamie Dukes (local radio celeb) made mention that the Eagles are still interested in Travis Henry because of some contract issues they are having with Westbrook (?). He went on stating that although the Eagles are still interested that the Bills may still not get what they feel is adequate compensation for Henry becasue of the the currently low demand for RBs in the league. He really didn't go into any serious detail on what I'm calling a very stiff rumor.

However, 680 The Fan is the same radio station that broke the Peerless Price trade story a few years ago. So in case there is some legitamacy concerning this rumor, I wanted to be sure to relay this questionable info to all of you.

I went to the website and even sent Jamie Dukes an email asking for a little more detail. I have yet to hear back from him, and the website did not provide any information.

www.680thefan.com/home

ddaryl
04-27-2005, 04:50 PM
There's is always interest, but its seems to be more Philly using TH as leverage against Westbrooks demands.

Titans could be a TH player, and Clevelands newly acquired RB, Droughns is being rumored as a hold out this year.

DraftBoy
04-27-2005, 04:54 PM
I can confirm with Red about 680 the fan they are usually pretty spot on about rumors, they broke the Hudson deal to Atlanta first also. I heard them this morning also and I wanna hear if he gets back to you Red.

RedEyE
04-27-2005, 04:58 PM
I guess I was under the impression that once Philly drafted an RB that Henry was no longer a necessity. This info this morning caught me by suprise. I'll post any information that I'm given. I don't know what he was talking about with Westbrook. I didn't realize that he was having contract issues.

Dozerdog
04-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Sirius NFL radio was talking aboout this the other day. Sure, they drafted a RB, but he's somewhat of a Westbrook clone. They need a RB who can get then 4 yards a carry in between the tackles.

finsrclowns
04-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Sirius NFL radio was talking aboout this the other day. Sure, they drafted a RB, but he's somewhat of a Westbrook clone. They need a RB who can get then 4 yards a carry in between the tackles.

Not really- they just need to give McNabb a pepto in the 4th quarter when he starts to dry heave. :;

The Eagles are and will be a passing team. Henry wouldn't appear to fit what a back needs to do for them, namely pick up the blitz, be a receiving threat out of the backfield and be a speed threat on the edge. Since they showed interest in Henry I guess they disagree but Moats has more potential IMO than Henry for them. 6+ yards a carry and 1700+ yards rushing as a senior is pretty impressive. Like Henry, he is a smaller back also and needs to work on his receiving skills but I can't believe the Eagles still want Henry after drafting Moats.

Meathead
04-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Hello, this is for all you McFly’s out there …

Westbrook is an animal at cranking out total yards, but he isn't a workhorse back. Think Thurman Thomas without the power running ability. He can catch like flypaper - he led the league in RB receptions (73, 703, 6). But he only got 812 yards rushing and 3 running TD's.

That won’t get it done for a featured back. Running plays are more reliable and consistent than passing plays, and a good team has a RB they can count on to crank out yards on the ground. As awesome as Westbrook is, he can’t do that. Travis Henry can.

Philly would be a much stronger rushing threat if they had both Henry and Westbrook as a platoon. Think Warrick Dunn and Mike Alstott, or Kevan Barlow and Garrison Hearst. It’s very doable, especially in their offense.

Philly always had liked to have multiple RB threats and this would be an excellent one for them.

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2005, 07:11 PM
What about the Giants. Didn't they draft some Antowain Smith-like schmuck in the 5th round? They don't have anyone behind Barber who is probably best suited as the receiving half of a tandem.

Luisito23
04-27-2005, 07:30 PM
I just keep on wondering why isn't any team not only interested in T.H. but aren't eager to get him?...why can't they understand that if you pick up Henry your team not only upgrades it's offense but also dominates possesion time which is very crucial for ANY team...
think about it.... if some1 like the Patriots offered Buffalo a satisfying trade bait...then you have the world champions with not only 1 but 2 proven horses, major upgrade......and I'm just using the Pats as an example, it could be any team.....
anyways that's just my thought but I also know that if we do keep him there's no way Henry is not gonna play , and there's no way that Henry is gonna be any kind of distraction, we know he doesn't wanna be here he knows it 2, but He also knows this is his last year here why would you let your pride get in front of your pockets??..why?...
:goodpost:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :respect: :respect: :respect:

Bill Brasky
04-27-2005, 09:01 PM
I just keep on wondering why isn't any team not only interested in T.H. but aren't eager to get him?...

Probably because dealing w/ TD is like dealing w/ a used car salesman... a used car salesman who will critisize not only you but his product if he doesn't get his way.

I blame three people for not getting TH outta here:

1- TD
2- Bledsoe, because he is still the cause of all our problems
3- Canada

Dozerdog
04-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Probably because dealing w/ TD is like dealing w/ a used car salesman... a used car salesman who will critisize not only you but his product if he doesn't get his way.

I blame three people for not getting TH outta here:

1- TD
2- Bledsoe, because he is still the cause of all our problems
3- Canada
So you wanted a 2nd day pick for TH?

Bill Brasky
04-27-2005, 09:06 PM
So you wanted a 2nd day pick for TH?

No... but the way TD handles things it's no surprise that no other GM's are willing to negotiate with him or give him equal value. What kind of GM tries to trade for somebody, then publicly bashes him (Shelton)

Dozerdog
04-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Publicly bashes him?

Link?

Dozerdog
04-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Nobody gave the Bills a 3rd rounder for the same reason no one gave The Colts or seahawks a second rounder for their pro-bowl RB's-

THE MARKET SUCKED!

Bill Brasky
04-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Publicly bashes him?

Link?

he said something along the lines where Shelton wouldn't even have been starting for our line even if we had brought him in. Not really a good way to conduct business.

Bill Brasky
04-27-2005, 09:14 PM
Nobody gave the Bills a 3rd rounder for the same reason no one gave The Colts or seahawks a second rounder for their pro-bowl RB's-

THE MARKET SUCKED!

Yeah, the market really sucks when you have 2 pro bowlers that nobody wants becuase they'd rather draft unproven rookies who could be the next Ricky Williams.

The way college football is nowadays, you can get a decent RB every single year. If I was Saban I would have taken a James or an Alexander, and drafted a RB in the second round or waited a few years for somebody else. You are getting the best of both worlds.

YardRat
04-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Here's links for the Henry/Philly Rumours...

BillsFanCentral (http://www.billsfancentral.com/)

The Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/sports/all-eaglesnotesapr25,0,6842353.story?coll=all-sports-hed): No one completed a trade for Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry, and Reid continued to leave open the possibility his team would make such a move despite selecting Louisiana Tech tailback Ryan Moats with the 77th pick.

''We're probably OK right now, we haven't completely pulled out of the other deal [for Henry],'' Reid said after the Eagles finished making their 11th and final draft pick of 2005. ''I'm glad you reminded me of that great quote.''

That great quote?

''We're still messing around with it,'' Reid had said Saturday, marking one of the few times an Eagles official has confirmed a trade rumor/speculation since he arrived in Philly in 1999.

Philadelphia Daily News (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/11482209.htm): [b]Henry scenario not a dead deal - If the Eagles trade for Henry, who has a year left on his contract, they are said to be ready to sign him to a long-term deal, which would pretty much shut the door on one with Westbrook.

Don't have one for the Shelton-bashing.

Dozerdog
04-27-2005, 09:31 PM
1) That's a grevious insult? Arizona offered a guy who this team doesn't think is starting caliber? And we rejected it? WOW.....

2) Where were these comments made?

Please- anyone- offer up any evidence (real evidence- not PFT garbage) that the Bills turned down a 3rd round or better deal. Are Bill Polian or Mike Holmgren considered arrogant or hard to deal with because they couldn't practically give away all pro running backs at fire sale prices?

Man- you guys are really digging up the excuses. There was no trade because there was no interest. If the Bills were on the other end of this- needing a RB and having a team dangle a disgruntled player with only a year on his contract left- I'm sure everyone would belambasting TD for pullin the deal instead of drafting one of a dozen top prospects.

There is no satisfying you people.

Dozerdog
04-27-2005, 09:34 PM
Here's links for the Henry/Philly Rumours...

BillsFanCentral (http://www.billsfancentral.com/)

The Morning Call (http://www.mcall.com/sports/all-eaglesnotesapr25,0,6842353.story?coll=all-sports-hed): No one completed a trade for Buffalo Bills running back Travis Henry, and Reid continued to leave open the possibility his team would make such a move despite selecting Louisiana Tech tailback Ryan Moats with the 77th pick.

''We're probably OK right now, we haven't completely pulled out of the other deal [for Henry],'' Reid said after the Eagles finished making their 11th and final draft pick of 2005. ''I'm glad you reminded me of that great quote.''

That great quote?

''We're still messing around with it,'' Reid had said Saturday, marking one of the few times an Eagles official has confirmed a trade rumor/speculation since he arrived in Philly in 1999.

Philadelphia Daily News (http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/11482209.htm): [b]Henry scenario not a dead deal - If the Eagles trade for Henry, who has a year left on his contract, they are said to be ready to sign him to a long-term deal, which would pretty much shut the door on one with Westbrook.

Don't have one for the Shelton-bashing.

Yea- certainly sounds like Reid doesn't want to improve his team to spite an arrogant power hungry Bills GM...:rofl:

Dozerdog
04-27-2005, 09:37 PM
One thing to remember- Philly's 4th round pick was what, a couple of picks away from being a 5th rounder?

I'd consider the 4th rounder if it was San Francisco's, or Clevelands.

Henry has more value as a backup to this team. if he wants to be a baby about it- tough crap for Henry.

finsrclowns
04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
he said something along the lines where Shelton wouldn't even have been starting for our line even if we had brought him in. Not really a good way to conduct business.

Time out. Question:why was Shelton discussed in the first place? Answer: because Arizona thinks he's a lazy underachieving bum and he's so far into Denny Green's doghouse that he'd near flares and a map to get out.

If TD wanted Shelton he could have had him a month or more ago. The fact is TD held out for more because he wasn't that crazy about Shelton. Or do you think reasonably priced starters at LT are growing on trees in the NFL? :crap: TD is getting flogged about the lack of a trade and in response he's just being honest as to why it didn't happen. What's wrong with that? And what has Bledsoe got to do with Henry not being traded?

RedEyE
04-27-2005, 10:10 PM
Here is so more info associated with this topic:

Eagles | Westbrook May Boycott Minicamp - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 27 Apr 2005 17:04:25 -0700

Les Bowen, of the Philadelphia Daily News, reports Philadelphia Eagles RB Brian Westbrook will presumably miss the team's upcoming minicamp because he is not under contract at this time. Westbrook is looking for a long-term deal from the Eagles and the two sides remain far apart on coming to terms on one. He was tendered a one-year, $1.43 million deal as a restricted free agent.

Bill Brasky
04-27-2005, 10:17 PM
What's wrong with that? And what has Bledsoe got to do with Henry not being traded?

Ever heard of something called sarcasm? :idunno:

LifetimeBillsFan
04-28-2005, 01:23 AM
1) That's a grevious insult? Arizona offered a guy who this team doesn't think is starting caliber? And we rejected it? WOW.....

2) Where were these comments made?

Please- anyone- offer up any evidence (real evidence- not PFT garbage) that the Bills turned down a 3rd round or better deal. Are Bill Polian or Mike Holmgren considered arrogant or hard to deal with because they couldn't practically give away all pro running backs at fire sale prices?

Man- you guys are really digging up the excuses. There was no trade because there was no interest. If the Bills were on the other end of this- needing a RB and having a team dangle a disgruntled player with only a year on his contract left- I'm sure everyone would belambasting TD for pullin the deal instead of drafting one of a dozen top prospects.

There is no satisfying you people.
It strikes me that there are a certain percentage of Bills fans who either don't like T.Donahoe personally for whatever reason or don't like the fact that he tore down the Bills team that he inherited when he came to Buffalo and/or is not rebuilding it the manner that they want him to do it or simply expect the Bills to be in the playoffs and SB contention every year and think that he should be fired because they have not been there in the last 4 years in spite of the fact that the team has been 8-8 and 9-7 in two of those seasons.

For some of those folks it doesn't matter what TD does. They don't like him and, therefore, he should be fired. Period.

The rest don't care who the GM is, but if the Bills don't get to the Conference Championship Game or SB every year, they feel that the GM should be fired. It doesn't matter to them that this is an unreasonable expectation or that teams in the NFL go through cycles or that this is more likely to put the team onto a treadmill to failure rather than lead to winning football. They just want to win NOW!!! And, nothing else will satisfy them.

So, no matter what, for them, it will always be TD's fault.

Meathead
04-28-2005, 02:29 AM
*****ers need somebody to ***** about.

If their team won 27 consecutive super bowls they'd ***** about the waterboy not having enough Gatorade to completely soak the coach.

mysticsoto
04-28-2005, 01:25 PM
It strikes me that there are a certain percentage of Bills fans who either don't like T.Donahoe personally for whatever reason or don't like the fact that he tore down the Bills team that he inherited when he came to Buffalo and/or is not rebuilding it the manner that they want him to do it or simply expect the Bills to be in the playoffs and SB contention every year and think that he should be fired because they have not been there in the last 4 years in spite of the fact that the team has been 8-8 and 9-7 in two of those seasons.

For some of those folks it doesn't matter what TD does. They don't like him and, therefore, he should be fired. Period.

The rest don't care who the GM is, but if the Bills don't get to the Conference Championship Game or SB every year, they feel that the GM should be fired. It doesn't matter to them that this is an unreasonable expectation or that teams in the NFL go through cycles or that this is more likely to put the team onto a treadmill to failure rather than lead to winning football. They just want to win NOW!!! And, nothing else will satisfy them.

The other thing to add in there is that the pendulum has swung and the tougher teams are now in the AFC - specifically the AFC East. We are in a tough division and there aren't any signs of changing that anytime soon. How many other teams in the NFL (besides the AFC East) have to play the superbowl champions twice a year?

sb_bound
04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Has anyone read this about a possible trade to Philly.

http://www.profootballcentral.com/

RedEyE
04-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Bills Eagles Talking Trade

The Buffalo Bills are looking into a possible trade with the Philadelphia Eagles, that would send disgruntled running back Travis Henry to the Eagles with a late round draft pick for defensive tackle Corey Simon. The NFC champions selected Southern California defensive tackle Mike Patterson in the first round to possibly replace Simon and are looking into acquiring Henry for a possible replacement to Brian Westbrook. The Bills, also are pretty thin at the defensive tackle position with losing Pat Williams to free agency and an unproven Ron Edwards being there projected starter opposite of Sam Adams. Both Brown and Henry are entering the last year in there contracts and would both teams would have to agree on an extension if a deal would be close to finalized.

That would be a phat trade, but I'm concerned that it won't get done with the amount of money Simon will want. If it goes through, I'll be jumping out of my skin with excitment.

DraftBoy
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
If we could lock up Simon long term and this deal got done that would be so tight.

EDS
04-28-2005, 05:05 PM
Why would the eagles be so eager to get rid of Simon?

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2005, 05:49 PM

How long have you been a Bills fan man?

ddaryl
04-28-2005, 06:11 PM
If we could lock up Simon long term and this deal got done that would be so tight.
Why ?

SO we can have the satisfaction of spending more money. Edwards came into his own last year, and he will be as good as Simon would be for us but for a lot less chicken.

I don't understand why fans don't believe in Edwards. I rememeber hearing the announcers mentioning Edwards name more often then Pat Williams when it came to making plays.

RedEyE
04-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Why ?

SO we can have the satisfaction of spending more money. Edwards came into his own last year, and he will be as good as Simon would be for us but for a lot less chicken.

I don't understand why fans don't believe in Edwards. I rememeber hearing the announcers mentioning Edwards name more often then Pat Williams when it came to making plays.

Wasn't it Edwards getting play time last year when Sam Adams was crying about coming off the field? If I recall it was, and he was doing a pretty damn good job.

Bulldog
04-28-2005, 06:25 PM
Why ?

Edwards is a decent player, but to say he's as good as Simon is crazy talk. Simon is the type of talent that can dominate games at times, while Edwards has been nothing more than a pretty good player for depth. Simon will want alot of $$$ though. If this deal were to go through and Buffalo signed Simon to an extension, Clements is definately gone next year.

Bill Brasky
04-29-2005, 01:20 AM

like a virgin? :jk: :mods:

LifetimeBillsFan
04-29-2005, 02:48 AM
How long have you been a Bills fan man?I've been a Bills fan since Buster Ramsey was named their first head coach--I was eight years old at the time.

How long have you been a fan? And, what does that have to do with what I had to say?

BTW: If you're unhappy about a Bills team coming off of a 9-7 season, you have no idea what it is like to have the Bills coming off of a season where they have won all of one single game and have little chance of winning more than a couple more. Or, to have a coach who was such a genius that he decided to have OJ Simpson play WR and return kickoffs.... Or, to have Tom Ruud be your # 1 pick in the draft and have him stink so bad that he only played for three years....

Bulldog
04-29-2005, 08:53 AM
I've been a Bills fan since Buster Ramsey was named their first head coach--I was eight years old at the time.

How long have you been a fan? And, what does that have to do with what I had to say?

BTW: If you're unhappy about a Bills team coming off of a 9-7 season, you have no idea what it is like to have the Bills coming off of a season where they have won all of one single game and have little chance of winning more than a couple more. Or, to have a coach who was such a genius that he decided to have OJ Simpson play WR and return kickoffs.... Or, to have Tom Ruud be your # 1 pick in the draft and have him stink so bad that he only played for three years....

I think he was having a little fun with your handle.

Dicknoze69
04-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Simon is a playmaker, but he takes plays off. Edwards is a lesser, cheaper version of Simon, as both are very good pass rushers and adequate run stuffers.

I'd be interested ONLY if he re-signs fairly cheaply.

TedMock
04-29-2005, 11:28 AM
IF they could work that deal somehow, I think it would be fantastic. Corey Simon and Sam Adams put up similar defensive stats last year, but Simon is 4 years younger. I am in no way suggesting that we rid of Sam Adams, but I am suggesting that he will have to start slowing down at some point. Ron Edwards really came on last year, and really played well at both DT positions. Simon has played fantastic at DT and well across the line. I don't think we need Simon, but he and Sam Adams this year with Ron Edwards rotating is sweet. If Bannon, Anderson, and Sape pan out...even better. I just don't see Adams being around too much longer, and I definitely don't see any of the other DT's (except Edwards) being an adequate successor. Now, they may step up this year and show us all something, but until then, none of them is as good as Corey Simon.