PDA

View Full Version : Punt Returner

JefftheBillsfan
06-29-2005, 10:08 PM
we are getting somewhat close to training camp...still a little further than i may like..but maybe its not to early to discuss over some position battles going into training camp.

so lets start at punt returner. who do you like? clements? mcgee? evans?

i personally like our first pick, roscoe parish to take over the duty.

Marvelous
06-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Clements is a showbiz playmaker. But it's Waay to risky to have him back there imo. I say Fast Freddie if he makes the team. I'm sure we all wan't to know what Parrish brings......

ShadowHawk7
06-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Def not Evans or Clements- too valueble (sp?) I could see Smith fighting for a roster spot by competing w/ Parrish for it. He will have to do considerably better than him, and prove some worth as a WR in the preseason. Shaud Williams is a wild card there. McGee did it a lot in college and should get a good look too.

tampabay25690
06-29-2005, 11:25 PM
I bet Roscoe will be the Returner right from the begining...

Italian Stallion
06-30-2005, 01:20 AM
'scoe will be back there on opening day....he's obviously got the speed to burn, but his small frame can only help in ducking in and out of gunners.... something the tall and thick Clements can't do..

they should mix it up and put Josh Reed back there sometimes. Even tho he dosn't have amazing speed, he did it well in college, and he's got a small, yet strong body that could break tackles and make it happen.....not to mention that josh needs a role on this team doing SOMETHING.

Mr. Miyagi
06-30-2005, 01:34 AM
I bet Roscoe will be the Returner right from the begining...
I don't know...McGee did make the Pro Bowl as a returner...

BlackMetalNinja
06-30-2005, 06:33 AM
If anybody watched Miami U. games like I did (big Hurricanes fan) then you'd know that this is definitely gonna be Roscoe's best chance to shine early. He was amazing at the U, one of the quickest and most explosive return men I've seen in a while. Definitely agree that Evans and Clements are too valuable to be risking on punt returns. Ahh, just one more of the many many reasons I can't wait until 9-11.

ryjam282
06-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Roscoe will be our punt returner next season, that is no doubt. I think the Bills will use more of that 2 player return set with "Fast" Freddie Mitchell and replace Clements with Parrish, IMO.

If anybody watched Miami U. games like I did (big Hurricanes fan) then you'd know that this is definitely gonna be Roscoe's best chance to shine early. He was amazing at the U, one of the quickest and most explosive return men I've seen in a while. Definitely agree that Evans and Clements are too valuable to be risking on punt returns. Ahh, just one more of the many many reasons I can't wait until 9-11.

I am also a HUUUGE U fan and I remember Roscoe being a force on the punt returns early on and then was used sparingly later on last year because of the emergence of Devin Hester? I remember Hester going after Kevin Williams record for most returns in school history in a single season and got 3 on punts and 1 on KO's. But Roscoe did have 2 TD's on 20 return attempts with an average of 16 yards a return. I like that.

Yeah, but you left off the most important part....KICK returner, not PUNT returner

ExWNYer
06-30-2005, 09:16 AM
Def not Evans or Clements- too valueble (sp?) I could see Smith fighting for a roster spot by competing w/ Parrish for it. He will have to do considerably better than him, and prove some worth as a WR in the preseason. Shaud Williams is a wild card there. McGee did it a lot in college and should get a good look too.

Ditto. My money is on Roscoe Parrish...the Bills will want to get him involved somehow, someway early on and PR is the most logical way for him to make an immediate impact.

EDS
06-30-2005, 10:52 AM

McGee only returned kicks, not punts.

tampabay25690
06-30-2005, 10:57 AM

KICK RETURNER, didnt he!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pleasesavedrew
06-30-2005, 11:23 AM
why would we want someone who has no NFL experince returning punts? i could see not wanting Nate running them back because he's a vital player. But freddie smith is worthless unless hes returning punts, I think hes very good, and hes got the ability to run one back everytime.

TedMock
06-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Clements did a good job most of the time. He and Smith both took punts to the house. Parrish is well-known for his return abilities. I can see the point that it's too much an injury risk to throw Clements back there, so I bet we'll see a lot of Parrish, and a little Smith if he makes the squad. Overall, what a great friggin problem to have! Throw any of 'em back there, and we have a threat.

EDS
06-30-2005, 11:34 AM
why would we want someone who has no NFL experince returning punts? i could see not wanting Nate running them back because he's a vital player. But freddie smith is worthless unless hes returning punts, I think hes very good, and hes got the ability to run one back everytime.

Because Roscoe has the potential to be even better. Fast Freddie will be lucky to make the team.

Mr. Miyagi
06-30-2005, 11:49 AM
McGee only returned kicks, not punts.
Fine. Same damn thing. :mad:

mysticsoto
06-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Because Roscoe has the potential to be even better. Fast Freddie will be lucky to make the team.
I agree...and personally, I don't think Freddie is going to make it...but you never know. We'll have to see.

pleasesavedrew...seniority doesn't determine where you get placed...ability does. Parrish will not be given the spot, he'll have to earn it...in fact, anyone who gets the job will get it b'cse they have earned it!!!

BBUnit1974
06-30-2005, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE=ryjam282]Roscoe will be our punt returner next season, that is no doubt. I think the Bills will use more of that 2 player return set with "Fast" Freddie Mitchell and replace Clements with Parrish, IMO.

nice post!!!!!

ShadowHawk7
06-30-2005, 02:23 PM
Roscoe will be our punt returner next season, that is no doubt. I think the Bills will use more of that 2 player return set with "Fast" Freddie Mitchell and replace Clements with Parrish, IMO.

I like the idea of using the 2 return men scheme again as well. Clements actually pancaked some people when Smith got the ball.

McGee mostly returned punts, not kickoffs in college, and he excelled at it too I believe. It will be a 3 way fight for two return spots b/w him, Parrish, and Smith. Again, Shaud Williams is a wild card for his shiftiness and experience returning punts and kickoffs in college. Smith will probably be fighting for a roster spot, unless he shows us something at WR this preseason. Personally, I like the kid, he did decent in last years preseason at WR, especially w/ Losman in. He also proved he could be used in some trick plays, and can line up at RB b/c of his ability to break tackles. I think we should find a way to keep him.

jaybillsfan05
06-30-2005, 02:24 PM
id have to say Roscoe's the best choice, he was good in college. i think he's be the one to go out there and do something.

JWatts
06-30-2005, 02:40 PM
I personally don't like to see starters on Special Teams. Clements & McGee are going to be our starting corners so I'd say put Parrish back there and let him show us and the NFL what he's got.

Bert102176
06-30-2005, 02:58 PM
I say Parish, using Clements is too risky we need him on D

mysticsoto
06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
I personally don't like to see starters on Special Teams. Clements & McGee are going to be our starting corners so I'd say put Parrish back there and let him show us and the NFL what he's got.
??? But having starters on our special teams is what has made our special teams so great!!!

Michael82
06-30-2005, 03:15 PM
So you don't like seeing Fletcher pancake people on KRs? I do!

Michael82
06-30-2005, 03:17 PM
??? But having starters on our special teams is what has made our special teams so great!!!
EXACTLY! :bf1:

JWatts
06-30-2005, 03:36 PM
Don't get me wrong. I way our special teams played last year was great. Sometimes the risks out weigh the gains, last year was the opposite for us. The gains out weighed the risks. With what I'm hoping to be a very good season, I'd hate for that season to go down the toilet because of an injury to a key player like Fletcher and/or Clements. That's why they are the coaches and I'm not.

Jan Reimers
06-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I think Parrish returns punts, allowing us to cut (not so) Fast Freddie, and McGee returns kickoffs. Clements on punt returns puts him at too much risk of injury, plus he has a little fumbleitis back there. Although McGee is at risk as well.

Ed
06-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I'd like to see Clements and Parrish back there together splitting the punt return duties.

I'm all for having starters play on special teams. I don't think you can justify keeping your best players off the field because you're scared of injuries. Everyone made a big deal about this last year, and we were fine. Clements has been returning punts his whole career.

JefftheBillsfan
06-30-2005, 08:22 PM
The only thing I would be worried about is Parrish having the dropsies early on. but like you have all mentioned, if he struggles early we have other options. i just dont see freddie making this team with all the WRs currently on the depth chart.