PDA

View Full Version : My Take on the Game

Earthquake Enyart
08-29-2005, 08:31 AM
I was at the game Friday. My thoughts:

1. The first team OL looked ok vs. the Bear DL. But when Big Mike went out, Jerman was no match for Ogunle. He pretty much blew.

2. Duke spent a lot of time at guard with Tucker at C. That second line of Jerman, Preston, Tucker, Sobieski, and ? were not impressive.

3. I did not see McFarlane in the game.

4. Duke did the long snapping and did ok. From where I was, the snap and hold on the Lindell extra point miss looked ok.

5. As I predicted, the Bills ran Hutchinson right into oblivion. The Bears announced that Orton will be the starter, and Hutchinson dropped all the way to #4 behind Orton, Blake (calm down wys), and Kurt Kittner. Kittner played for new OC Ron Turner at Illinois, so it is no surprise that he will stick around. However, Orton's big drive came against the entire 2nd team Buffalo D.

6. Well, JP may be the third best QB we have, since they cut Woodbury. They may as well install the wishbone and run the option.

7. On that long Thomas Jones run, it looked like Clemens blew that. It was like he didn't know where to line up. The Bills try to hide D's and shift around. They are suceptable to a quick snap, quick hitting type of play.

casdhf
08-29-2005, 08:38 AM
I was at the game Friday. My thoughts:

1. The first team OL looked ok vs. the Bear DL. But when Big Mike went out, Jerman was no match for Ogunle. He pretty much blew.

2. Duke spent a lot of time at guard with Tucker at C. That second line of Jerman, Preston, Tucker, Sobieski, and ? were not impressive.

3. I did not see McFarlane in the game.

4. Duke did the long snapping and did ok. From where I was, the snap and hold on the Lindell extra point miss looked ok.

5. As I predicted, the Bills ran Hutchinson right into oblivion. The Bears announced that Orton will be the starter, and Hutchinson dropped all the way to #4 behind Orton, Blake (calm down wys), and Kurt Kittner. Kittner played for new OC Ron Turner at Illinois, so it is no surprise that he will stick around. However, Orton's big drive came against the entire 2nd team Buffalo D.

6. Well, JP may be the third best QB we have, since they cut Woodbury. They may as well install the wishbone and run the option.

7. On that long Thomas Jones run, it looked like Clemens blew that. It was like he didn't know where to line up. The Bills try to hide D's and shift around. They are suceptable to a quick snap, quick hitting type of play.
I agree with all, but the Preston snap was off, but Lindell should have made the kick.

Jan Reimers
08-29-2005, 08:39 AM
It was probably Peters and Geisinger on the 2nd O line. Sobieski is on IR.

Earthquake Enyart
08-29-2005, 08:40 AM
It was probably Peters and Geisinger on the 2nd O line. Sobieski is on IR.
You're right. Peters was the other tackle, and Geisinger was the G.

All second team OLmen were not impressive.

Earthquake Enyart
08-29-2005, 08:56 AM
And one other thing.... Urlacher is faster than McGahee. I was hoping to see Willis regain that extra gear, but to me, he doesn't look any faster than last year.

They way they bungled two goaline situations has me second guessing Willis' fantasy value.

I was very disappointed in the way Losman looked. Even Shane Matthews looked better.

madness
08-29-2005, 09:04 AM
And one other thing.... Urlacher is faster than McGahee. I was hoping to see Willis regain that extra gear, but to me, he doesn't look any faster than last year.

They way they bungled two goaline situations has me second guessing Willis' fantasy value.

I was very disappointed in the way Losman looked. Even Shane Matthews looked better.
I noticed (the lack of) McGahee's speed also compared to last year.

Losman will get better the more game time he has, and I'm not talking about the rest of preseason. He needs full games under his belt.

Typ0
08-29-2005, 09:10 AM
What losman needs is a little consistent success. I think he still isnt't totally on the moment...he's over thinking things. He's got to have some success and with that he will have the confidence to make decisions. It's a good thing we are playing the Texans...and I hope he really starts to gain this by the second half of a real game. He's going to be fine I think.

HHURRICANE
08-29-2005, 09:16 AM
1) I agree with the Willis comment. He does not have another gear. If he stays healthy though he will be a powerful runner. He is alot bigger now than when he was in college, about 20 pounds heavier.

2) You are way off on Losman. If you watch the game and replays you realize that he made some mistakes but he was not nearly as bad as you think.

3) Lindell sucks. The snap and put down was not perfect but the kick was makeable. I watched it over and over and he should have not missed the kick. PERIOD.

4) Offensive line made some blocking mistakes along with Shelton, RB's and wide receivers.

5) The whole team played badly.

Earthquake Enyart
08-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Goldsberry can't block at FB either. I don't think he makes this team.

The Bears have a good defense. Give them some credit. They had a lot of injuries last year.

mysticsoto
08-29-2005, 09:35 AM
1) I agree with the Willis comment. He does not have another gear. If he stays healthy though he will be a powerful runner. He is alot bigger now than when he was in college, about 20 pounds heavier.

2) You are way off on Losman. If you watch the game and replays you realize that he made some mistakes but he was not nearly as bad as you think.

3) Lindell sucks. The snap and put down was not perfect but the kick was makeable. I watched it over and over and he should have not missed the kick. PERIOD.

4) Offensive line made some blocking mistakes along with Shelton, RB's and wide receivers.

5) The whole team played badly.
#5...The whole team played badly??? The whole team means you are including the defense and special teams with this broad generalization?

justasportsfan
08-29-2005, 09:35 AM

to think that they were in there as early as the 2nd qtr. and some people sound like the sky is falling.

Some people don't realize that the bills were trying to run the ball more. The plan wasn't to showcase JP's ability to make probowl this year.

The positive thing I gathered from that game is that JP is starting to connect w/ Moulds. That to me is the most important thing for our passing game aside from our running game opening up the pass. I knew that wasn't going to just happen overnight. They aren't there yet, but they are getting there.

John Doe
08-29-2005, 11:20 AM

Maybe in preseason we should bring in Losman against the second string defense. That way he will look better.

Jan Reimers
08-29-2005, 11:57 AM
You're right. Peters was the other tackle, and Geisinger was the G.

All second team OLmen were not impressive.
EE, you didn't recognize Peters - the guy who is Faster Than a Speeding Bullet, and Able to Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound?

HHURRICANE
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
#5...The whole team played badly??? The whole team means you are including the defense and special teams with this broad generalization?
Special teams: Clements fumbling a punt return, Lindell missing an extra point.

Defense: Do you call allowing 6 yards per carry on the ground by an average rushing team good?

Earthquake Enyart
08-29-2005, 12:04 PM
EE, you didn't recognize Peters - the guy who is Faster Than a Speeding Bullet, and Able to Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound?
They ran a lot of plays where Peters was an elligible receiver.

As far as the 6 ypc goes, Jones had that one long run. If you take the long runs away it wasn't too bad. :D

Plus the Bears went out and got big name FA OL's the last 2 years, Tait and Miller. Their line is better than ours.

Jan Reimers
08-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh, I forgot More Powerful Than a Locomotive.

mysticsoto
08-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Special teams: Clements fumbling a punt return, Lindell missing an extra point.

Defense: Do you call allowing 6 yards per carry on the ground by an average rushing team good?
Interesting, you look at specific pieces instead of the whole picture...

Special Teams...what was our average return? What was the Bears? Where was our avg starting yard line? What was the Bears? How many penalties did they have trying to keep up with our team? How many did ours have?

Defense: How many scores did our defense have? How many did the Bears? How many sacks did our defense have? How many sacks did the Bears? How many interceptions did we have? How many did the Bears?

If you look at one specific thing, you're always going to be able to find something to criticize a team with. When you look at the whole picture though, things may look differently...

Typ0
08-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Maybe in preseason we should bring in Losman against the second string defense. That way he will look better.

that would make a lot of people happy...

Typ0
08-29-2005, 12:21 PM
The Bears have a good defense. Give them some credit. They had a lot of injuries last year.

Good point! The Bears D is pretty brutal if they stay healthy.

HHURRICANE
08-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Interesting, you look at specific pieces instead of the whole picture...

Special Teams...what was our average return? What was the Bears? Where was our avg starting yard line? What was the Bears? How many penalties did they have trying to keep up with our team? How many did ours have?

Defense: How many scores did our defense have? How many did the Bears? How many sacks did our defense have? How many sacks did the Bears? How many interceptions did we have? How many did the Bears?

If you look at one specific thing, you're always going to be able to find something to criticize a team with. When you look at the whole picture though, things may look differently...
Hmmm. I thought I was looking at the whole picture. Check out the stats, they are not overly impressive. Bills vs. Bears. Its not the Eagles, Patriots, etc. I kind of hope we had performed a little better. We were very sloppy.

mysticsoto
08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Hmmm. I thought I was looking at the whole picture. Check out the stats, they are not overly impressive. Bills vs. Bears. Its not the Eagles, Patriots, etc. I kind of hope we had performed a little better. We were very sloppy.
I'll agree with that...we were sloppier than we had been up to now in the other preseason games. But mostly on offense. The D was pretty solid and so was special teams. I'm looking at the starters only, by the way and not the entire game with 3rd stringers that may or may not get cut. To me, the bulk of importance in this past game lies between the 1st and middle of 3rd quarter. The end of the 3rd quarter and 4th are interesting to watch, but represent and have very little semblance to what a real game of ours will have.

But sloppiness is something that happens when you face a good D...and I'm ready to give Chicago props. They have a good D, and barring any injuries will show us that come the season. However, I expect nobody to give them any respect much the same way our D doesn't get much respect. In order for you to get acknowledged, you have to win games, and with Chicago's O, they might have difficulties doing that.

We have things to work on, there's no doubt about that. But I am not ready to throw in a white towel at this point just yet.

ddaryl
08-29-2005, 04:39 PM
fool

Night Train
08-29-2005, 05:15 PM
1. McFarland played and got beat bad a couple of times.
2. I thought Fletcher whiffed on the long run.
3. You hate JP. Got it. Most QB's dominate 3 pre-season games into their career as a starter.
4. Shane Matthews is better than Losman. Check.

I see Beers were 3 for 1 in your section.