PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap Cheapos!

Patrick76777
12-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Too many people around here hate TD, but nonetheless have been fooled into buying his cheap a$$ approach to Salary Cap management.

Just keep saving money! Maybe we can just cut the whole team. Play with Rookie Free Agents at minimum salary in 2006 and start 2007 with nothing on the cap! It値l be great. Then we can sign a bunch of average vets, (at a good price) and draft picks and we値l be a good 40 million under the cap!

That would be the best right Op?

Ebenezer
12-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Too many people around here hate TD, but nonetheless have been fooled into buying his cheap a$$ approach to Salary Cap management.

Just keep saving money! Maybe we can just cut the whole team. Play with Rookie Free Agents at minimum salary in 2006 and start 2007 with nothing on the cap! It値l be great. Then we can sign a bunch of average vets, (at a good price) and draft picks and we値l be a good 40 million under the cap!

Saving money? The Bills are only about 600K under the cap. The only thing being saved is the signing bonuses and they are still paying them out except for the really big ticket guys (i.e., Clements). And they may be able to franchise him for under $6 mil next year.

BillsFever21
12-22-2005, 11:14 AM
Saving money? The Bills are only about 600K under the cap. The only thing being saved is the signing bonuses and they are still paying them out except for the really big ticket guys (i.e., Clements). And they may be able to franchise him for under $6 mil next year.

:clap: Some act like we're 20 million under the cap and don't wanna sign anybody.

With a salary cap you can only sign so many guys to big contracts. The guys who get the big deals need to be your best core players of the team. The rest of the guys you need to build around them cheaply. This isn't MLB.

If you give somebody a big contract then you damn well better make sure they are worth the money.

BillsFever21
12-22-2005, 11:15 AM

Not this again. We use up our salary cap space. It's not like we're millions and millions under the cap. You can only spend so much. You can't just go out and sign every player you want.

OpIv37
12-22-2005, 12:30 PM

dude you really need to check your facts. Did you see Eb's post? We're 600k under the cap. What kind of impact FA could we have signed for that much? That's barely over vet minimum.

So sign Clements and keep Moulds and be stuck with $60 million to pay 51 other guys, fix the O-line and fix the D line. That will work well. Then we can be like the Titans and cut six starters due to the cap, or be like the Redskins who currently have a salary of $112 million for next season (over $20 million above the estimated cap).

I'm sorry, Patrick, but you just don't live in reality. If refusing to overpay vets who aren't performing so we can fix holes in this team is being a "cap cheapo", then I guess I'm a cheapo.

OpIv37
12-22-2005, 12:36 PM
maybe Patrick does have the right idea. Since young cheap players never do anything, here's what we should do:

Sign Moulds, Clements, Spikes, Fletcher, Adams and McGahee to monster contracts. Trade JP, Parrish, Evans, McGee, Crowell and our entire 2006 draft for Peyton Manning and Julius Peppers. We can make up the money by signing a bunch of vet no-names for O line, D line, linebacker, and safety. Two years from now, we'll be $30 million over the cap, but at least we won't be cheapos.

Devin
12-22-2005, 12:50 PM
WTF i thought we were like 5-7 mil under atm.

OpIv37
12-22-2005, 12:52 PM
WTF i thought we were like 5-7 mil under atm.

I think that's under next year's projected cap. For some reason, Patrick thinks that we're millions under this year's cap and TD was just being cheap by not signing players with it, which isn't the case at all.

Devin
12-22-2005, 12:52 PM
Ah right gotcha.

lordofgun
12-22-2005, 12:59 PM
As clump states on the cap page, we had to cut Bledsoe and let Pat Williams go just to get under the cap for this year.

wchutalkinboutwillis
12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
There's a lot of posters that come here and say "Ralph's cheap. He won't spend the money." Blah, blah, blah. It couldn't be further from the truth. Ralph may have been like that in the 70's and early 80's but he started to change his philosophy starting with the #1 overall pick in '85. He told Polian to do "whatever it takes" to sign Bruce Smith. That philosophy has endured for 20 years but the difference now is that he has a moron playing with his money.

mysticsoto
12-22-2005, 01:09 PM
I think Mike Williams and Moulds are killing us in the salary cap. I'd love to sign Moulds for half of what he's set to make next year. As for Williams - I say dump him. Peters is doing an order of magnitude better job that him and he doesn't even make 10% of what Mike gets. Plus the draft is full of Tackles next year. I say we get one in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

The biggest question is what to do with NC...my 1st impulse is to franchise and trade him and let's get some young blood here and hope to get some good prospects in the draft...

Iehoshua
12-22-2005, 01:10 PM
As clump states on the cap page, we had to cut Bledsoe and let Pat Williams go just to get under the cap for this year.
So the entire premise of this thread is misinformation!

Gotcha! :up:

WTG Patrick! Your bs streak is going strong!

Devin
12-22-2005, 01:11 PM
:bf1:

OpIv37
12-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I think Mike Williams and Moulds are killing us in the salary cap. I'd love to sign Moulds for half of what he's set to make next year. As for Williams - I say dump him. Peters is doing an order of magnitude better job that him and he doesn't even make 10% of what Mike gets. Plus the draft is full of Tackles next year. I say we get one in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

The biggest question is what to do with NC...my 1st impulse is to franchise and trade him and let's get some young blood here and hope to get some good prospects in the draft...

yeah Williams needs to go- I wouldn't pay him vet minimum. He's always injured and doesn't play well when he is in there. He should just be flat out cut.

Nate is an above average corner who will get top corner money- that's BS. I'd like to keep him for a salary that matches his performance, but that just ain't gonna happen. Franchise him and get what we can.

Ebenezer
12-22-2005, 01:55 PM
small correction...we didn't cut Pat Williams...he was offered a deal that was quite comparable to what he got in Minnesota. It wasn't exactly the amount Minnesota offered but he did leave for a little extra.

Bledsoe was cut because of the cap. I don't know if he was asked to take a pay cut or not.

lordofgun
12-22-2005, 02:10 PM
small correction...we didn't cut Pat Williams...he was offered a deal that was quite comparable to what he got in Minnesota. It wasn't exactly the amount Minnesota offered but he did leave for a little extra.

Bledsoe was cut because of the cap. I don't know if he was asked to take a pay cut or not.
Reread what I posted. I was correct. :D

Ebenezer
12-22-2005, 02:16 PM
Reread what I posted. I was correct. :D
yes but it sounded like PW was still under contract which was not true...:D

lordofgun
12-22-2005, 02:17 PM
:mad:

Ebenezer
12-22-2005, 02:18 PM
:mad:
:lmao:

clumping platelets
12-22-2005, 10:04 PM
:movie:

mysticsoto
12-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I wonder what it would take to get Steve Hutchinson and Charles LeBentley here. I think Hutchinson is making around $1.8 Million and Bentley is very underpaid at $455k.

Looking at Clump's (you're awesome dude) 2006 salary cap page: (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/02/17/billszones_2006_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php)
I have to believe that the following changes will take place.

Changes due to salary cap:

Sam Adams - doesn't get along with mgmt well and is getting paid higher than I'm sure the FO would like. More signs that we will likely draft Haloti Ngata in the 1st rd. $2 mil saved if we cut him - only $375k dead cap.

Bennie anderson - only $900k saved if we cut him - $1 mil dead cap...if only he had the fire to play his position, he would probably be good. If we have to get Hutchinson to replace him and pay him...$2.5-3 Million plus the $1 million dead cap, LG becomes an expensive position in 2006...

Gandy and Peters I thought did well considering that Tackle was supposed to be our weakest position. Instead, it turned out to be the middle (guards) more than anything. I would swap Gandy & Peters and have Peters play LT, Gandy RT. Peters is good at pass blocking and you want your blind side protected better than anything when pass blocking. Gandy should also have an easier time playing RT.

Chris Villarial is set to make $3.2 Mil next year. If we cut him, we have a $1.78 Mil cap savings and a $1.43 Mil cap hit. Personally, I prefer to let Duke Preston develop here and get LeCharles Bentley for...$3 million-ish, maybe. But if not, then we need someone to fill in here. Given that getting rid of Bennie might be an expensive option, maybe we keep Bennie and get rid of Villarial??? Tough decisions the FO is going to have to make - and possibly a new GM.

Mike Williams we've talked about ad-naseum. Cut him and get a cap savings of $4.9 mil even though we have another $4.9 mil of dead cap space this year, and also dead cap space next year. CUT HIM!!!

Eric Moulds is set to make $10.8 million next year. If we cut him we save $5.5 mil and take a $5.3 mil cap hit. Or alternatively, he could be reworked. However, if I'm Eric, I prefer to play the field. Someone will definitely pay him in the $6-8 mil range. If he reworks with us, no doubt they won't accept anything more that $4-5 mil range.

Jeff Posey is set to make $2.2 mil next year. If we cut him, we stand to save $1.75 mil with only a $437k cap hit. Posey hasn't done much anyway, and with Crowell stepping up and hopefully TKO coming back, Posey will be gone.

Milloy stands to make $4 mil next year. If we were to cut him, we'd save $2.75 mil in cap and take a cap hit of $1.25 mil. Not bad, except that we have no one to replace him with. Unlikely to happen unless we can bring in a good FA with alot of upside.

Mark Campbell could be gone also. He is set to make $1.5 mil and while that is not alot, we pay Tim Euhus < $500k. Does Mark do enough to be worth the extra million? Does Everett look good in his comeback? All in all, I don't think Campbell is good enough and TEs are a dime a dozen. He will probably be cut saving us $1.3 mil on the cap and we take a small $237k cap hit.

And these are FAs that will probably not be re-signed:

Trey Teague - was making $3.625 mil (we can definitely offer that to Bentley then)
Greg Jerman - $455k - he was cheap, but so was his play. He's a waste of a roster spot.

We probably can afford NC if we want to, the question is...where do we draw the line. No doubt they've already made some offers to Nate at the beginning of the year when his agent was in town. Clearly, they didn't take it and Nate is looking for a big payday. The most logical solution will be to franchise him and either pay him an average of the best 5, or the best option, trade him to someone who is in desperate need of a decent CB. People like paying alot of money for CBs nowadays, so it probably won't be hard for the Bills to find a buyer.

Those are some of the changes I see. The other big change is TD being let go, but MM being kept. That's pretty much what I'm predicting will happen. In all honesty, I know MM has made some huge mistakes. But I'd like to see what he could do with a real Oline. I'd also like to see what Willis can do behind a real Oline. There seems to be a recurring theme in what I want next year...doesn't it?

Ebenezer
12-23-2005, 11:07 AM
the next GM has a lot of work to do.

clumping platelets
12-23-2005, 11:47 PM
the next GM has a lot of work to do.

Yes, I do :D

BillsFever21
12-24-2005, 08:44 AM

Don't confuse people with facts.

BillsFever21
12-24-2005, 08:48 AM
I wonder what it would take to get Steve Hutchinson and Charles LeBentley here. I think Hutchinson is making around $1.8 Million and Bentley is very underpaid at $455k.

Looking at Clump's (you're awesome dude) 2006 salary cap page: (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2005/02/17/billszones_2006_buffalo_bills_salary_cap_page.php)

Sam Adams - doesn't get along with mgmt well and is getting paid higher than I'm sure the FO would like. More signs that we will likely draft Haloti Ngata in the 1st rd. $2 mil saved if we cut him - only $375k dead cap.

Bennie anderson - only $900k saved if we cut him - $1 mil dead cap...if only he had the fire to play his position, he would probably be good. If we have to get Hutchinson to replace him and pay him...$2.5-3 Million plus the $1 million dead cap, LG becomes an expensive position in 2006...

Gandy and Peters I thought did well considering that Tackle was supposed to be our weakest position. Instead, it turned out to be the middle (guards) more than anything. I would swap Gandy & Peters and have Peters play LT, Gandy RT. Peters is good at pass blocking and you want your blind side protected better than anything when pass blocking. Gandy should also have an easier time playing RT.

Chris Villarial is set to make $3.2 Mil next year. If we cut him, we have a $1.78 Mil cap savings and a $1.43 Mil cap hit. Personally, I prefer to let Duke Preston develop here and get LeCharles Bentley for...$3 million-ish, maybe. But if not, then we need someone to fill in here. Given that getting rid of Bennie might be an expensive option, maybe we keep Bennie and get rid of Villarial??? Tough decisions the FO is going to have to make - and possibly a new GM.

Mike Williams we've talked about ad-naseum. Cut him and get a cap savings of $4.9 mil even though we have another $4.9 mil of dead cap space this year, and also dead cap space next year. CUT HIM!!!

Eric Moulds is set to make $10.8 million next year. If we cut him we save $5.5 mil and take a $5.3 mil cap hit. Or alternatively, he could be reworked. However, if I'm Eric, I prefer to play the field. Someone will definitely pay him in the $6-8 mil range. If he reworks with us, no doubt they won't accept anything more that $4-5 mil range.

Jeff Posey is set to make $2.2 mil next year. If we cut him, we stand to save $1.75 mil with only a $437k cap hit. Posey hasn't done much anyway, and with Crowell stepping up and hopefully TKO coming back, Posey will be gone.

Milloy stands to make $4 mil next year. If we were to cut him, we'd save $2.75 mil in cap and take a cap hit of $1.25 mil. Not bad, except that we have no one to replace him with. Unlikely to happen unless we can bring in a good FA with alot of upside.

Mark Campbell could be gone also. He is set to make $1.5 mil and while that is not alot, we pay Tim Euhus < $500k. Does Mark do enough to be worth the extra million? Does Everett look good in his comeback? All in all, I don't think Campbell is good enough and TEs are a dime a dozen. He will probably be cut saving us $1.3 mil on the cap and we take a small $237k cap hit.

Trey Teague - was making $3.625 mil (we can definitely offer that to Bentley then)
Greg Jerman - $455k - he was cheap, but so was his play. He's a waste of a roster spot.

We probably can afford NC if we want to, the question is...where do we draw the line. No doubt they've already made some offers to Nate at the beginning of the year when his agent was in town. Clearly, they didn't take it and Nate is looking for a big payday. The most logical solution will be to franchise him and either pay him an average of the best 5, or the best option, trade him to someone who is in desperate need of a decent CB. People like paying alot of money for CBs nowadays, so it probably won't be hard for the Bills to find a buyer.

Those are some of the changes I see. The other big change is TD being let go, but MM being kept. That's pretty much what I'm predicting will happen. In all honesty, I know MM has made some huge mistakes. But I'd like to see what he could do with a real Oline. I'd also like to see what Willis can do behind a real Oline. There seems to be a recurring theme in what I want next year...doesn't it?

There is no way Hutchinson would leave Seattle for Buffalo unless we pay him a ton more.

X-Era
12-24-2005, 08:56 AM
There is no way Hutchinson would leave Seattle for Buffalo unless we pay him a ton more.

Hey no problem, pay him a ton. At least THAT way we are overpaying for actual really great players!

I have NO problem overpaying Hutchinson! If it means we cant sign the next Ross Tucker, so be it!

Seriously, so we pay him 6.5 mil per instead of 5, for example. That 1.5 gets you EITHER another teams backup or a over 30, guy on the decline, do we need EITHER? Hell NO! Thansk to TD, thats why we are where we are.

BillsFever21
12-24-2005, 09:07 AM

I don't see Moulds getting 6-8 million dollars. That's how much TO and Harrison went for and he isn't anywhere near their level. I see him averaging maybe 4 million at the most.

I think we should cut Moulds and Williams which would save us close to 11 million right there. We could maybe get a 3rd round pick for Moulds since his cap hit would only be about 5 million for the other team. It would be hard to find a partner if they could sign him as a FA though. Try to find somebody who really needs a WR. He just isn't worth 10.8 million.

Offer that money to some good FA OL and show them the money. I'd rather get a proven vet then try to develop an unproven rookie.

Nate won't be back. He will be the same as Peerless Price. The Bills offered him what they wanna pay him this year and he didn't take it. Franchise him and get what you can out of him.

Not sure how much Vincent would save but he isn't worth the money he is getting. Dump him and replace him with a 1st day FS if there isn't any good vets out there.

Try and get either Hutchinson or Bentley. Keep Gandy and Peters unless we can upgrade. Draft a true Center in the 2nd round and then see what we can do about upgrading Bennie Anderson.

This line has gotta be revamped. If we could get Hutchinson or Bentley that would be a great start. We have a better chance with Bentley though.

BillsFever21
12-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Hey no problem, pay him a ton. At least THAT way we are overpaying for actual really great players!

I have NO problem overpaying Hutchinson! If it means we cant sign the next Ross Tucker, so be it!

Seriously, so we pay him 6.5 mil per instead of 5, for example. That 1.5 gets you EITHER another teams backup or a over 30, guy on the decline, do we need EITHER? Hell NO! Thansk to TD, thats why we are where we are.

Oh I agree. He would probably still stay in Seattle instead of coming here though.

Ebenezer
12-24-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't see Moulds getting 6-8 million dollars. That's how much TO and Harrison went for and he isn't anywhere near their level. I see him averaging maybe 4 million at the most.

I don't think so. With his bonuses he would be in the $5-$6 mil range.

I think we should cut Moulds and Williams which would save us close to 11 million right there. We could maybe get a 3rd round pick for Moulds since his cap hit would only be about 5 million for the other team.

You can't cut a player and still trade him :huh:...also, if you cut him you don't get a compensatory draft choice. The Bills get nothing in return for cutting him. He is still the best WR on this team. 2007 is an uncapped year. Redo his deal and put some money into 2007 and 2008 and keep him. Your thinking that he is worth a 3rd is inference that he has big value to the team. Do you think you could get a 3rd for any of the other WRs on this team? I don't.

Nate won't be back. He will be the same as Peerless Price. The Bills offered him what they wanna pay him this year and he didn't take it. Franchise him and get what you can out of him.

Would you take him back for under $6 mil? that might be the franchise value.

Not sure how much Vincent would save but he isn't worth the money he is getting. Dump him and replace him with a 1st day FS if there isn't any good vets out there.

you would save $800K by cutting Vincent. You would need to spend at least that to bring in a competent player to replace him. Cheaper to keep him.

Try and get either Hutchinson or Bentley. Keep Gandy and Peters unless we can upgrade. Draft a true Center in the 2nd round and then see what we can do about upgrading Bennie Anderson.

Hutch ain't coming here. Preston is the new Center thus saving a draft choice.

This line has gotta be revamped.
Been saying that since 1997.